Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Beatles: Rock Band - Available on Revolution #9-9-09

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The Beatles: Rock Band - Available on Revolution #9-9-09

I can't believe people are arguing the strength of the Beatles brand.

I am an average Beatles fan. I don't think their music (compared to a Rolling Stones for example) aged nearly as well as some believe...but that said...I will buy this game on Day 1. No matter how big of a Beatles fan someone is...there will be at least 10 songs that every gamer will love to play.
Old 01-09-09, 05:52 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Beatles will be much better vocally than Metallica, and should be great on the other instruments as well. It boggles my mind that people don't know their songs, especially with the recent revival of Love (love my DVD Audio disc) and Across the Universe (one of my favorite movies). Everybody should picked up their 1 album at a minimum.
Old 01-09-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thelwig14
I can't believe people are arguing the strength of the Beatles brand.
No shit.

This is pretty much the holy grail in terms of bands that haven't shown up on a guitar/band game...only thing close would be Led Zeppelin.

As a point of reference, two artists have sold over a billion albums: The Beatles and Elvis. Metallica is at 100M, which is pretty impressive in its own right, but I don't think the point is debatable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s#cite_note-78
Old 01-09-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never said that the Beatles game wouldn't sell like gangbusters, I just said that I wasn't that familiar with their music, and that I would imagine a good portion of the RB/GH community is in the same boat as me.

I'll be getting the game day one, especially if there's an Export to RB option.
Old 01-09-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you guys are greatly misinterpreting the original discussion about the Beatles and this game.

The question is related to how well the younger GH/RB audience would be receptive to the game, and how much recognition there is among that group. That's a big contrast to how popular they are with the entire world, in which I'm not sure no one would deny that they're still huge.

I don't think the average GH/RB player could name 10 Elvis songs either.
Old 01-09-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chess
As a point of reference, two artists have sold over a billion albums: The Beatles and Elvis. Metallica is at 100M, which is pretty impressive in its own right, but I don't think the point is debatable.
To be fair though, Metallica does not have the same size catalog as the Beatles (or Elvis).....
That has always made the Beatles even more impressive in my eyes, the fact that they weren't even around for a decade and yet they made a dozen albums and a ton of other singles...something like over 275 songs! Yet Metallica has only managed to make nine albums (and a bunch of covers) in 25 years....
Old 01-09-09, 08:00 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
especially with the recent revival of Love (love my DVD Audio disc)
For anybody even remotely a fan of The Beatles, if you ever find yourself near Vegas, make it a point to see this. I'm not a big Beatles fan, but have always enjoyed most of their stuff, and this show blew my mind. And I agree the DVD-A disc is great as well.

Love alone has me salivating over the idea of playing Get Back.

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bf_twyNOWl4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bf_twyNOWl4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Last edited by aktick; 03-05-09 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think you guys are greatly misinterpreting the original discussion about the Beatles and this game.
...pretty sure somebody here thinks that Metallica is bigger than the Beatles amongst the target audience. I don't think they're bigger amongst any sizable group of people, and I fear some folks seriously underestimate how casual this genre is now.

The question is related to how well the younger GH/RB audience would be receptive to the game, and how much recognition there is among that group.
First, the GH audience is generally different than the RB audience, and sure, the former might be more interested in Metallica. Anybody who still thinks that the hardcore audience is bigger or more important than the casual market needs to be introduced to the Wii.

That's a big contrast to how popular they are with the entire world, in which I'm not sure no one would deny that they're still huge.
...but not as big as Metallica.

I don't think the average GH/RB player could name 10 Elvis songs either.
Now you're just being silly.
Old 01-09-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I never said that the Beatles game wouldn't sell like gangbusters, I just said that I wasn't that familiar with their music, and that I would imagine a good portion of the RB/GH community is in the same boat as me.
I don't accept your premise, and even if you were right, it wouldn't matter. This isn't Aerosmith or Metallica or AC/DC we're talking about...it's the undisputed biggest band in the history of the world.

I'll be getting the game day one, especially if there's an Export to RB option.
And you will 1) be blown away and 2) be shocked how many songs you do know from movies, TV shows, commercials, covers, etc.
Old 01-09-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And you will 1) be blown away and 2) be shocked how many songs you do know from movies, TV shows, commercials, covers, etc.
How many times do I have to say it?

I'm not saying that I've never heard a Beatles song, and just didn't know it. I'm saying I couldn't name 10 songs by title!! I'm unfamiliar with them at that level. I am extremely excited for the game because it's such a huge pick-up and Harmonix is extremely excited to have the oppurtunity to work on it. I can't wait to see what it looks like!

To bring in another topic:

Can you imagine the fucking trainwreck it would be if we had NeverSoft working on GH: Beatles? *shudder*
Old 01-09-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

This is going to be a first day purchase for me. I'm anxiously awaiting to see the setlist for this game.
Old 01-10-09, 01:27 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm also going to buy it on its first day of release. I'm eagerly anticipating it. The Beatles are a great band and it'll be a blast to play their music in a music/rythm game.

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith was a blast, but hopefully this will top that. I'm unsure of what to think about Guitar Hero: Metallica because I'm only a casual fan of that overrated band, who sound way too similar with almost all of their songs.
Old 01-10-09, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

...pretty sure somebody here thinks that Metallica is bigger than the Beatles amongst the target audience. I don't think they're bigger amongst any sizable group of people, and I fear some folks seriously underestimate how casual this genre is now.
I'm well aware of how casual the market is, but I still feel among a younger demographic the Beatles relevance today is a lot lower then people think.

First, the GH audience is generally different than the RB audience, and sure, the former might be more interested in Metallica. Anybody who still thinks that the hardcore audience is bigger or more important than the casual market needs to be introduced to the Wii.
I'd actually guess the GH audience is more casual then Rock Band, but that's just me. But yeah, I certainly don't think the hardcore audience is bigger. But in the same vein I don't think as many people will jump on the Beatles as you do, casual or not.
Old 01-10-09, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be happy if this game was simply The Beatles 1 album. But I don't think it will be that good. The Guitar Hero Aerosmith game had a disappointing set list.
Old 01-10-09, 03:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's the great thing about The Beatles. They have fewer bad songs than almost any other band. It would be difficult to make a Beatles game where 95% of the tracks weren't great.
Old 01-10-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'd be happy if this game was simply The Beatles 1 album.
That would be an incredibly impressive setlist, but I'd trade almost anything on it for any of these:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVzVT1pii0s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVzVT1pii0s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZez_k4vAzU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZez_k4vAzU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/faVTixv81IQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/faVTixv81IQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-2LQGigK-0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-2LQGigK-0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9vf26cRtG_w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9vf26cRtG_w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QWuXmfgXVxY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QWuXmfgXVxY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

...amongst others. All of which would be a blast to play and are a tribute to the strength of their catalogue.

Some of their more trippy songs might not translate to a music game quite as well but are still amazing, such as Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Strawberry Fields Forever and With a Little Help from my Friends.
Old 01-10-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure they'll include A Day in the Life. It seems like there's too much time where the guitarist would just sit and do nothing.

Obviously Eleanor Rigby wouldn't work, unless it was for Cello Hero or String Section.
Old 01-10-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm not sure they'll include A Day in the Life. It seems like there's too much time where the guitarist would just sit and do nothing.
Well they already have the Nirvana song where the drummer has like 6 notes on Expert. There is also Behind Blue Eyes where the drummer has nothing for a good 2-3 minutes... then a minute of crazy insane drumming... then nothing for another 30 seconds or so.

So one song that focuses on vocals and drums wouldn't be that bad since Harmonix doesn't focus just on the guitar.
Old 01-10-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This game is one of Wired's eleven most-anticipated games of 2009:

The Beatles Game (Multiplatform)

We don't know what it'll look like, how it'll play or even what it'll be called. But Harmonix's collaboration with The Beatles is the odds-on favorite to be the biggest thing to happen to videogames, and maybe even music, in 2009.

The creators of Guitar Hero and Rock Band have turned millions of gamers into faux rockers with plastic instruments, letting non-musicians experience the joy of jamming. And what better way to put on a show in your living room than with the legendary music of the greatest band of all time? Harmonix is forgoing Rock Band 3 this year to concentrate its efforts on re-creating the Fab Four's music in interactive form. Even if this were just downloadable content for Rock Band, it would be one of the best things to happen this year. As a standalone game, it'll be unstoppable. (As long as Harmonix includes an option to sing the entire B side of Abbey Road without stopping, I'll be happy.) — Chris Kohler
Old 03-05-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We've got a release date!

9/9/09

http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/
Old 03-05-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's sooner than I expected!

Wait... is it being called Beatles Rock Band? I thought they weren't going to brand it as such...
Old 03-05-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6 months! Where's the queue begin?
Old 03-05-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Wow, that's sooner than I expected!

Wait... is it being called Beatles Rock Band? I thought they weren't going to brand it as such...
Yeah, that one struck me too. I wonder if it'll play nice with the platform now.
Old 03-05-09, 09:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Yeah, that one struck me too. I wonder if it'll play nice with the platform now.
My guess is that it'll be entirely independent, including DLC.
Old 03-05-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
My guess is that it'll be entirely independent, including DLC.
That's the safe bet, and what I'll assume until they announce otherwise. But the fact that they threw Rock Band in the title after saying it was not an RB game is the only thing that gets my hopes up a bit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.