Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - No Russian in this thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Activision announces Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Originally Posted by Draven
Re: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Part II

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With my 10% ECA discount, the $58 in trade-in credit I got through Amazon for a bunch of Wii games, and the 50% discount on games and accessories from a few weeks ago, I picked up the Prestige Edition for a cool $16...not too shabby!

I've never bought a "fancy" edition of any game, but the goggles are too cool to pass up. Plus I don't need Beatles Rock Band and I wanted to maximize my discounts.
Yup, I love Amazon, though I decided to go with the Hardened edition as I don't need those goggles taking up more space. Ended up getting it for nothing outta my wallet!
Old 08-19-09, 03:31 PM

CVG: No multplayer beta for Modern Warfare 2

"We know you had a great time testing Call of Duty 4's multiplayer component before the final game launched, so we're sad to note CVG's report that Modern Warfare 2 will not go the same route as its predecessor. An Activision spokesperson confirmed to the outlet that there will be no multiplayer beta for the game.

We also know that sucks, so in an effort to get Activision and developer Infinity Ward to change their minds, we've started this online petition. It's bound to get their attention, right? Hello? Are you going to get a pen? It's on the internet, you don't need one!"
Old 08-21-09, 10:29 AM

Special Ops Brings More Mile High Club to Modern Warfare 2

"Modern Warfare 2 won't just be about a chunky single-player campaign and endlessly playable multiplayer, it's also going to be bringing quick drop-in-and-play single missions meant to be tackled as a two-person team or solo.

The levels, Activision told Kotaku today, were inspired by the single Mile High level that unlocked at the end of Modern Warfare. That level wasn't tied to the story, instead it was a single mission with objectives.

The same will be true of the Special Ops levels which can be accessed from the main menu of Modern Warfare 2.

While Activision wouldn't say how many of these levels will be included in the game, they did say that it would be a robust portion of the title. That's back up by the front screen of the game which includes three selectable boxes, one for the campaign, one for multiplayer and a third for Special Ops.

Special Ops levels are broken down by difficulty, type of play and type of enemies you will be facing. The start up screen for the mission shown today listed the level's estimated completion time as 1 minute and 30 seconds, classified it as an assault mission and noted that the estimated opposition would be "heavy."

Players can go through the level by themselves, with a friend online or on a single, split screen. They can choose to play the levels in regular, hardened or veteran difficulty. The harder the difficulty, the more stars earned.

Those stars, we were told, can be used later to unlock more content in the game.

The missions we were shown started in a dingy brick-walled room. The player was able to decide which weapons he wanted to use from a the selection strewn around the room. When the player was ready to start they walked up to a demolition charge attached to one wall and pressed a button.

The time starts when the wall blows in. That initial explosion sent a nearby enemy rocketing backward through the air. Time slowed for a second as a player squeezed off two shots into the airborn enemy and then turned to shoot another nearby and slightly dazed foe.

After that momentary slowdown, game play returned to full speed.

The objective in this particular mission, which we watched being played by a single gamer, was to survive a dash through dilapidated tiled rooms. Enemies swarmed in from the other end of the room, snaking around stalls as others charged down second floor hallways and started to target the player with red laser sites.

The first time through the gamer died was about a minute and a half in with 17 kills. The second time it took him two minutes and one second to work his way through the rooms, take down 22 enemies and escape through a hole in the floor of the far room. A couple of enemies were still standing when he dropped from view.

Special Ops isn't a reason to buy Modern Warfare 2, but there are already plenty of those. It may be another reason to keep it once you've picked up the game though."
Old 08-21-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Sounds like bot killing objectives in R6V.
Old 09-01-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting capture the flag/domination game play.

Love the guy running out front with the riot shield...
Old 10-04-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GSxvaKRLaOg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GSxvaKRLaOg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

WOW - new trailer hit....

The single player campaign will be crazy
Old 10-04-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDerek
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GSxvaKRLaOg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GSxvaKRLaOg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

WOW - new trailer hit....

The single player campaign will be crazy
So this is the prequel to Fallout 3?
Old 10-26-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3rd Person Game types confirmed
Old 10-28-09, 11:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

any word if any of the obtained COD4 MW stats (ie: leveling up to the golden cross, etc) would translate into any nice perks for MW2?
Old 10-28-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on the fence. My game backlog is huge and I still have to play through W@W. I enjoyed the first game. Mainly the SP, prefer Battlefield Bad Company MP over CoD. Even suffered through Mile High Club to get 1000/1000. Should I get this or wait?
Old 10-28-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If true, this is sure to stir up some controversy.
Old 10-28-09, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by FatTony
If true, this is sure to stir up some controversy.
Confirmed
Old 10-28-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, Infinity Ward, would you like some hot coffee?
Old 10-28-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is skippable, apparently.

We’ve just been given the following statement in response to a question as to whether or not the scene is from the game. Here’s the full thing:

“Yes it is. The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the player’s mission to stop them.

“Players have the option of skipping over the scene. At the beginning of the game, there are two ‘checkpoints’ where the player is advised that some people may find an upcoming segment disturbing. These checkpoints can’t be disabled.

“Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older.”
http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/28/conf...h-checkpoints/

I can see it now: "Checkpoint: Would you like to kill civilians? (X) Yes (O) No"

Last edited by DGibFen; 10-28-09 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 07:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It's only a matter of time before playthroughs of that level go up on YouTube with the Benny Hill song playing.
Old 10-28-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

A rating of M should make this a moot point, but since people are assholes, it won't...
Old 10-29-09, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Call me an "asshole" I guess, but finding this out ahead of time killed any interest I had in this game. This would have been my first COD game, and I was really looking forward to it. But I don't like the idea that I have to do some morally reprehensible shit to get the "full experience" of the game. Skippable or not, this was an obvious decision by the developers to stir up controversy (and by extension, sales).

My own opinions aside, it's only a matter of time before this game is found in the collection of the next school shooter, and we all know that doesn't bode well for gamers in the eyes of the mainstream.
Old 10-29-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I peronally don't think that level would improve sales at all. I think Infinity Ward is just putting a new twist on the "perspective" thing they did for MW1. This type of level has no appeal to me whatsoever but I'm on the fence as to whether I'd skip it entirely of play it and take it for what it is --- a video game.
Old 10-29-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bet they'll claim this is deep and engaging and that it presents a morally poignant perspective on war.
Old 10-29-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Call me an "asshole" I guess, but finding this out ahead of time killed any interest I had in this game. This would have been my first COD game, and I was really looking forward to it. But I don't like the idea that I have to do some morally reprehensible shit to get the "full experience" of the game. Skippable or not, this was an obvious decision by the developers to stir up controversy (and by extension, sales).

My own opinions aside, it's only a matter of time before this game is found in the collection of the next school shooter, and we all know that doesn't bode well for gamers in the eyes of the mainstream.
With the success of Modern Warfare, I don't think that they are expecting to have a problem with sales...
Old 10-29-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How is this any different from GTA other than it is a part of the story? In GTA, I've forced civilians to commit suicide because I was bored.
Old 10-29-09, 09:39 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor and dont buy the game. Dont take it personal but you sound a little too sensitive for a realistic shooting game.

For the record, violent video games dont cause school shootings.
Old 10-29-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Do yourself a favor and dont buy the game. Dont take it personal but you sound a little too sensitive for a realistic shooting game.

For the record, violent video games dont cause school shootings.
In general, I have no problem with violent games, but playing the part of a terrorist and killing unarmed civilians doesn't strike me as something I'd find entertaining. "Too sensitive?" Probably.

I know violent games don't cause school shootings, that wasn't my point.
Old 10-29-09, 11:51 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many fine FPS games that are less violent, if you are borderline, dont start with COD.

In general however, its a bad idea to start pinning morality to video games. Do you watch movies where civilians get killed? Movies that show terrorist tactics?

Penn & Teller did a great episode on Bullshit (season 7 episode 3) on violence and video games.
Old 10-29-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
How is this any different from GTA other than it is a part of the story? In GTA, I've forced civilians to commit suicide because I was bored.

GTA is still cartoon violence. I can plow over someone and they will brush themselves off and get up.

From what I saw on the video, this feels more realistic and disturbing, but can't say how I would feel unless I actually play it.

The media is going to have a field day with this one. Can you imagine the outrage if this gets pulled off shelves and slapped with AO?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.