Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Xbox 360 Thread - The NXE is coming, the NXE is coming...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disc needs to be in the drive
Old 11-12-08, 09:32 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Netflix streaming is hella sweet.

The new dashboard layout and navigation is really nice

The new friends list will look cool once everyone has an avatar.
Old 11-13-08, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still can't figure out how Avatars make gaming better. Are casual gamers really attracted to those gimmicks? So instead of buying gamer pics your now going to buy clothes/costumes for your Mii? Maybe a Spartan uniform or a Marcus Fenix bandana? Not for me unless its free.
Old 11-13-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Considering the number of people willing to buy outfits for their Sackboys in LittleBigPlanet it doesn't surprise me. On top of that, people were willing to spend money on picture packs for the 360 evidentally.

Customization is "the thing" these days, didn't you hear? ... I need to sell my Wii.
Old 11-13-08, 07:56 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by edstein
I still can't figure out how Avatars make gaming better. Are casual gamers really attracted to those gimmicks? So instead of buying gamer pics your now going to buy clothes/costumes for your Mii? Maybe a Spartan uniform or a Marcus Fenix bandana? Not for me unless its free.
It doesn't make gaming better per se, but it is something different and fun in the dashboard. Plus, some games will make use of your avatar in the way that Wii games make use of your Mii's.

I know that the new Scene-It game that came out will take your avatar and put it in the game.

I'm sure people will buy clothes, etc for them. I won't be one of them, but will download anything that is given away free. I've made my avatar and will not see myself ever going in and updating it. For me, it was a one time thing.
Old 11-13-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love avatars and such but I would not pay for clothes or accessories. IMHO when you purchase a game, it should come with any gamer pictures, themes, clothing, and accessories attached to the game. Even if unlocking achievements means now you'll unlock a t-shirt with the game logo on it I'm for that as well. If I unlock the "Platinum microphone" achievement in Rock Guitar Kazooie, let me have a platinum microphone to put in my Avatars hand. :-) It'd be a cool way to show off your achievements without someone having to scroll through your games list.
Old 11-13-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For me the Dashboard is a means to an end. Launch a game, play a movie, download DLC. I don't really care about making the Dashboard more fun.

That being said, I'm glad they are expanding on their core system, adding new features like Netflix Streaming, and installing games. I have the 120gb system so I'll probably install a few games I play often, like Rock Band 2, Gears of War 2, and Fallout 3.

So, Microsoft. Thanks for the upcoming update!
Old 11-13-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HotThang
I love avatars and such but I would not pay for clothes or accessories. IMHO when you purchase a game, it should come with any gamer pictures, themes, clothing, and accessories attached to the game. Even if unlocking achievements means now you'll unlock a t-shirt with the game logo on it I'm for that as well. If I unlock the "Platinum microphone" achievement in Rock Guitar Kazooie, let me have a platinum microphone to put in my Avatars hand. :-) It'd be a cool way to show off your achievements without someone having to scroll through your games list.
That's exactly how I thought this update should work too, but Microsoft would never say yes to something that didn't pad their wallets.
Old 11-13-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
NXE is coming November 19th, for those (like me) who don't obsessively track specific dates.
Old 11-13-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
That's exactly how I thought this update should work too, but Microsoft would never say yes to something that didn't pad their wallets.
Yeah. I have been baffled since day one as to why after spending 50-60 bucks on a game, I have to pay an extra dollar or two to get gamer pictures and themes associated with the games.
Old 11-13-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Avatars have potential, but it will never be fully realized in a consumer-friendly way. Or in a way that rewards gamers and/or dedication like achievements.

As I've said before, I would love to dress my avatar up like Ryu Hyabusa for having completed Ninja Gaiden 2, but that will never happen unless I spend 800 points. So mine will only ever use the stock or free promotional clothes and all that.

They'll be better than Miis if only for the fact they're used in a real online community where that sort of personalization can matter.
Old 11-13-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
They'll be better than Miis if only for the fact they're used in a real online community where that sort of personalization can matter.
What!?!?!! Are you mocking the Mii Parade!
Old 11-13-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"We're going to need a bigger drive"
Old 11-13-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Do. Not. Want.
Old 11-13-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apart from the ability to install games directly to the hard drive, and thus, cut down on fan noise... None of this matters to me. The whole avatar angle is without merit, and does not improve the game or "experience" for me.

Then again, I'm also one of those people who views achievements as stupid and utterly pointless, but still...
Old 11-13-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Apart from the ability to install games directly to the hard drive, and thus, cut down on fan noise... None of this matters to me.
Nothing? Really? Group parties with chat? Netflix? No ads on the dash? Cleaner and faster loading of menus?

Or are you just down on the Avatars?
Old 11-13-08, 10:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Will Netflix streaming be available from day 1? And what's the minimum Netflix membership level you need to use it?
Old 11-13-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Will Netflix streaming be available from day 1? And what's the minimum Netflix membership level you need to use it?
From the reviews I've read, the streaming is already in place. On Netflix, I believe you need the $8.99 option. The one with the unlimited video streaming.
Old 11-13-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the only benefit to me will be the netflix streaming. the rest is eye candy. i doubt i will be installing games to the HD.
Old 11-13-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Can you still use the gamer picture you have on your gamercard or will you have to use an avatar? I hope I can still use my gamer picture I have now because I won't spend a dime on dressing up an avatar.
Old 11-13-08, 11:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by kms_md
i doubt i will be installing games to the HD.
Me neither. I enjoy the loud noise from playing games directly from the disc -- it gives me a chance to meet my neighbors.
Old 11-13-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I usually have my surrounds turned up so loud, the audio from the game completely drowns out any noise from the console - I can't even remember if I've ever noticed my 360's drive noise because I play my games so loudly.
Old 11-13-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm excited. I can certainly understand how some people think the avatar stuff is no big deal, but I can't understand why anyone would care enough to bitch about it constantly like some folks are. If you don't care, then don't care. You can still play your games as normal. I think there's just too much awesome functionality coming with this update to be hating on it, not to mention maybe oh I don't know, people actually waiting to experience it themselves before they completely write it off as terrible.
Old 11-13-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I can't hear it either unless I pay attention or try to hear it. But I'll still install to disk.
Old 11-13-08, 12:48 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by superfro
I'm excited. I can certainly understand how some people think the avatar stuff is no big deal, but I can't understand why anyone would care enough to bitch about it constantly like some folks are. If you don't care, then don't care. You can still play your games as normal. I think there's just too much awesome functionality coming with this update to be hating on it, not to mention maybe oh I don't know, people actually waiting to experience it themselves before they completely write it off as terrible.
That's just silly talk.. You can't seriously expect gamers to not bitch and moan about some new update to a console before they actually see what it is like for themselves. Before someone thinks I'm just picking on them, I am included in the group as well. I am guilty of being upset at something gaming related that I've read/heard about without experiencing it for myself. I think it is part of being a gamer.

But seriously, I don't understand some of the negative posts either. Sure, it changes the look and layout of the dashboard, but other then that, you can still play games the same old way you have before. I don't think they force you to create an avatar. There are tools and such in it that you can use or not use, your choice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.