Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Xbox 360 Thread - The NXE is coming, the NXE is coming...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Xbox 360 Thread - The NXE is coming, the NXE is coming...

Old 12-15-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, I think it's funny that people care enough to try and delete scores.
Why not?

Anyway it looks like MS already fixed the glitch. I managed to delete Sneak King but it reappears after about 30 seconds. It looks like that those that did get deleted stayed off my profile though. Should have tried it again earlier in the week.
Old 12-15-08, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Let your extended warranty expire?
I bought mine from Overstock with a 2 year extended warranty on Black Friday, 2006 (back then MS offered only a 90-day warranty). Sure enough, 24 1/2 months later, it died on me this morning. At least I finished Gears 2 last night.

They're sending me a coffin. What's the turn-around time running these days?

Oh, and I like how the reps always act like this is the first time they've ever heard of the "three flashing lights" problem.

I didn't get an extended warranty. If I send it in saying I have RROD will they just send it back since it's my drive and not the rings?
Old 12-15-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,030 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Originally Posted by House
I didn't get an extended warranty. If I send it in saying I have RROD will they just send it back since it's my drive and not the rings?
If it's the drive, then it's not covered. Don't know if they send it back or if they bill you. It might just be worth getting a new Arcade unit for $199 and swapping in your old HDD rather than paying for a repair job from MS.
Old 12-15-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Why not?

Anyway it looks like MS already fixed the glitch. I managed to delete Sneak King but it reappears after about 30 seconds. It looks like that those that did get deleted stayed off my profile though. Should have tried it again earlier in the week.
Dammit! Dead or Alive and Ridge Racer will forever haunt my card.

Oh well, I'm pretty sure this is a sign it'll be a full feature eventually.
Old 12-15-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Why not?

Why?

I guess I think think it's silly to be anal enough to want to remove games. I understand removing demos and stuff that were there before, just not games you really played. Not that i'm surprised people want to.
Old 12-15-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
I guess I think think it's silly to be anal enough to want to remove games.
It is even sillier to care about whether or not other people remove scores from their gamercard.
Old 12-15-08, 12:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suspect the answer is no, but is there any way to combine profiles? I created one when I first got the machine. I created a second profile that I used for Live. It's no big deal but I was wondering if I can merge the first into the second?
Old 12-15-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
It is even sillier to care about whether or not other people remove scores from their gamercard.
That's a stupid comment. The topic came up so I gave my opinion. It's not like I'm monitoring people's gamerscores to see if points disappear or go down. You might as well go around to every topic of discussion and ask why people care.

It's even more silly to assume that I care about whether or not other people remove scores from their gamercard.
Old 12-15-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nemein
I suspect the answer is no, but is there any way to combine profiles? I created one when I first got the machine. I created a second profile that I used for Live. It's no big deal but I was wondering if I can merge the first into the second?
In the three years the system has been out, I don't think I've ever seen that question before. I'm going to say no, but that nothing other than a gut feeling.
Old 12-15-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In the three years the system has been out, I don't think I've ever seen that question before. I'm going to say no, but that nothing other than a gut feeling.
for real. I'm sure the answer is no but it was at least a question that made me think for a second. I'm almost positive I've never heard it before.
Old 12-15-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a stupid comment. The topic came up so I gave my opinion. It's not like I'm monitoring people's gamerscores to see if points disappear or go down. You might as well go around to every topic of discussion and ask why people care.
I was referring more to the general case (and to MS), not necessarily you.
Old 12-15-08, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's what I figured, at least I didn't see an obvious way of doing it on the machine. Like I said it's no big deal just wish I had thought about splitting the "gamer card" before registering the 2nd account on live. Guess it just means I'll have to replay some games to reclaim some points Again not that they really mean anything...
Old 12-15-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was referring more to the general case (and to MS), not necessarily you.
I apologize then for the snappy comment.
Old 12-15-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Student uses wireless controller to track down stolen Xbox 360

Gamers put lots of time into their favorite games gaining new abilities, levels, and other benefits as the game goes along. A couple of the worst things that could happen to a gamer is to have his game console stolen or lose the game data stored on the console.

The Standard Online reports that a student named Ryan Ketsenburg from Missouri State was able to recover his stolen Xbox 360 console using a bit of technological knowhow. Ketsenburg reports that he and a roommate came back from a school-sanctioned trip and were so tired they forgot to lock the door to their room.

When the students woke the next day, Ketsenburg realized that his Xbox had been stolen. According to a police report the student says that while he and his roommate were sleeping someone crept into the room and made off with the game system.

The thief neglected to take the wireless controller to the Xbox and Ketsenburg was able to get the controller to connect to the Xbox, meaning that the console was nearby. The game was afoot and Ketsenburg used the LEDs on the controller (which flash when the controller is out of range) to narrow the floor that the console was on down to the fifth floor of the multi-story dorm and finally to a specific room on the floor.

According to reports, the student then contacted the advisor living on the floor of the theft. The advisor searched the room and found the console. Ketsenburg was able to prove that the console was his when the wireless controller turned the Xbox on. He recovered his console, but found that the thief had reformatted the hard drive and that all of the saved games were gone.

Ketsenburg says that he is prosecuting the thief to the fullest extent of the law.
Nice job by the student. The thief, on the other hand, needs to find a occupation, since he isn't very good at that one.
Old 12-15-08, 07:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Frontlines: Fuel of War is $9.99 at Best Buy this week.
Old 12-15-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I would like to remove crap from my download history....I don't really need to know that I have at one time downloaded Kameo Opening Movie, I'd be fine with losing that piece of information. Any paid content obviously should not be removed, or should have multiple opt-out, but it should be easy to remove old free junk.
Old 12-15-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Student uses wireless controller to track down stolen Xbox 360

Nice job by the student. The thief, on the other hand, needs to find a occupation, since he isn't very good at that one.
That's awesome. Grissom would be impressed.
Old 12-15-08, 10:01 PM

the saga continues......Waited all day at work for my XBOX......and nutt'in!!!!
Old 12-16-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 360 is out for delivery, even though it was originally scheduled for tomorrow. *fingers crossed it's a Jasper*
Old 12-16-08, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
If it's the drive, then it's not covered. Don't know if they send it back or if they bill you. It might just be worth getting a new Arcade unit for $199 and swapping in your old HDD rather than paying for a repair job from MS.

Ya, I'm debating on if I want to do that, or Just get an Elite so I can have a bigger HD. I wish I had RROD, this sucks!
Old 12-16-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There is still a high probability you will just get a different refurb if you were to claim you got the RROD. I'd say it's worth a shot before pulling the trigger on a $200+ purchase. I sent my latest one in back in July and got a brand new unit back instead of the one I sent in.
Old 12-16-08, 12:23 PM

I had the single red light of death. Sent it in under the RROD warranty and got the same 360 back, but with the RROD. Sent it in, got a different one that works.
Old 12-16-08, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by House
Ya, I'm debating on if I want to do that, or Just get an Elite so I can have a bigger HD. I wish I had RROD, this sucks!
Turn your 360 on, wrap it in a bunch of thick blankets and leave it for a day or two. This should get you the RROD.
Old 12-16-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by No Use For A Name
Turn your 360 on, wrap it in a bunch of thick blankets and leave it for a day or two. This should get you the RROD.
Or start a fire, but hey I'm sure he has insurance
Old 12-16-08, 04:38 PM

If wrapping your 360 in blankets will start a fire, then obviously don't do it. I've read about a lot of people doing this (and nothing about any of them burning their houses down); however, I've never done it myself. Perhaps google "360 force rrod," and try to find a safer way to do it... that, or buy a new, hopefully more reliable, 360.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.