Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Offical Animal Crossing: City Folks Thread.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Offical Animal Crossing: City Folks Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Offical Animal Crossing: City Folks Thread.

Originally Posted by Kelkee
Have any of the games designers explained the logic behind this at all?

It seems to be a penalty for running and the regrowth is near impossible on it own. So how was this good design?
I don't think it was designed to be like this. It makes no sense. The only explanation is that there is an error in the game code that Nintendo didn't catch before the game went gold.
Old 02-27-09, 11:47 AM

So, how long does it take for grass to grow back? I wouldn't mind if you even had to go around and water every little bit to get it back at this point... but I guess that doesn't work. At my work I see the trailer to this game loop and I envy how beautiful the town looks... all green and lush.
Old 02-27-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raffurar
I think it had good merits, but the problem with a game like animal crossing is the testing phase. You have people burst test it over a couple of months, most likely time traveling to check all of the stuff, but this breaks the game. Without sitting on the completed game for a full year, they just can't see how people will really play it. Thus they play for a week or so at most, don't wear the ground too much, then time travel to summer to check all of the seasonal changes, this grows their grass back, so the testers don't get annoyed like consumers have. I have a feeling no one at Nintendo had even SEEN a desert town during testing, yet that is the norm in reality. It's just a flawed testing process for such a casually time intensive game. I think that the wear speed is fine, it's the regrowth that's the problem. It needs to be two weeks for grass to grow back, and then one week if sped up by flowers. This would be completely acceptable. either that or they need to add fertilizer and sprinklers into the game!
Maybe Nooks could sell sod
Old 02-27-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New DLC, or ANY DLC for that matter, could fix the problem. Sod or grass seed is the best idea.

You could buy it from nook and plant it like a flower. Next day you have brand new grass or early growth.

But I have a feeling its broken and will remain broken.
Old 02-27-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelkee
But I have a feeling its broken and will remain broken.
I do, too. Nintendo already has our money.
Old 02-27-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup, I can't imagine them patching this. The worst part is you can't just jump ahead 2 months and then jump back. You have go one day at a time for 2 months to regrow your grass. That is abysmal. And yet, here I sit contempating whether I will do that. I would just pull all my hybrids into my house so they don't die and let the rest wilt.

And then when I go around replanting flowers I'll probably end up killing my grass again. I will be walking around like crazy catching fish and bugs once March and April come around and all the new stuff is introduced.
Old 02-27-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I doubt if there will be a patch. The designers seem to think it is a cool feature!

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/accf/vol1_page2.jsp
Old 02-27-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would rather have a nice grass town, than the "realistic" feature of grass wearing away in a time killer game like this.
Old 02-27-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by HotThang
I doubt if there will be a patch. The designers seem to think it is a cool feature!

It would be a cool feature if it worked the way the designer designed it to work. In the interview he says the grass will grow back after one day. Obviously there is some error keeping the grass from growing back the way the designer wanted it to.
Old 02-27-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually in the interview I believe he states it would START to grow back after one day, but it would grow back slowly over time. He used the anecdote about the villagers houses leaving a patch of dirt when they leave and as the grass grows your memory of them fades. Unfortunately every time you step on a dirt spot, you reset the new growth.
Old 02-28-09, 11:19 AM

Not sure if anyone else was in the same boat as us, but we had a horrible week on the Stalk Market. Holding out and holding out, and only having time for one or two trips to Aaron's town when he had profitables. Anyway, got on today, and our turnips are currently 127. So if anyone just want to almost break even, come on over, we'll be online off and on during the day and evening. Our Nooks closes at 9 Eastern. I'll check here later on in case anyone makes a request for a gate opening! Hopefully next week will be better!
Old 02-28-09, 01:07 PM
Cool New Member

Not sure if anyone else was in the same boat as us, but we had a horrible week on the Stalk Market. Holding out and holding out, and only having time for one or two trips to Aaron's town when he had profitables. Anyway, got on today, and our turnips are currently 127. So if anyone just want to almost break even, come on over, we'll be online off and on during the day and evening. Our Nooks closes at 9 Eastern. I'll check here later on in case anyone makes a request for a gate opening! Hopefully next week will be better!
Ours have been awful also! Today only in the 30's. I'll keep an eye out for your open town....
Old 02-28-09, 01:15 PM

I'll gladly come over and sell mine. My Nooks is offering 41. The worst week I have ever had in AC stock market, my prices were never higher than 76. I had the low random sequence this week. Interestingly, in my city's auction house, there are no items for display other than the ones my characters put up.
Old 02-28-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

I see that your gate is open but for some reason can't visit? It said something about removing me from your friends list? Could you check. Thanks.
Old 03-01-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Woohoo! New fish and bugs finally! It looks like I need to focus on growing hybrids now since certain bugs are only attracted to them.
Old 03-01-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Today is the first day i've played in a few weeks because i've had the flu. It's sicking to see how bad my town looks now that the snow is gone. I have a few patches of grass but the most part, it's a desert.

It looks so bad, it makes me not want to play anymore. Nintendo really dropped the ball on this. It's a shame and disgrace you can have grass on the Gamecube version but not on the Wii version.
Old 03-01-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wrote to Nintendo complaining about this. They informed me it's a feature. I told them I know it's a feature, but it is a broken feature. Great.
Old 03-01-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, here are the new insects for March:

Common Butterfly
Flear
Honeybee
Ladybug
Peacock
Spider
Tiger Butterfly
Yellow Butterfly

Fish:
Loach
Old 03-02-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by HotThang

I don't know why, but this pisses me off more because of how much they laugh about it.

Anyone want to set up a petition for this?

http://www.petitiononline.com/create_petition.html
Old 03-02-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I wrote to Nintendo complaining about this. They informed me it's a feature. I told them I know it's a feature, but it is a broken feature. Great.
I'd even be happy if they just made all of the grass reappear after each rain. This sucks! But I'm still enjoying the game. :-)
Old 03-02-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the key to the fountain? When I toss my axe in I am asked if I threw in a gold or silver. Do I always say Gold and hope to get a gold back?
Old 03-02-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No you have to be honest. It is VERY hard to get the axe. It took me over 60 tries.
Old 03-02-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been trying for weeks with no luck! I got the gold watering can today so I am happy! I never planned on chopping down a bunch of trees anyway. :-)
Old 03-02-09, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by achau9598
What is the key to the fountain? When I toss my axe in I am asked if I threw in a gold or silver. Do I always say Gold and hope to get a gold back?
I'm not sure if it really matters what your response is, but I have seen videos showing someone getting the gold axe when their response is truthful (saying that you threw in a normal axe).
Old 03-02-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the day off for the snow, I decided to try and fix my town's grass. After visiting each day for three months straight, I gave up. While a lot of the grass is back, there are still plenty of splotchy areas, especially in spots without flowers that had heavy traffic before all the time travel. Oh well. At least my town is mostly green.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.