Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Guitar Hero: World Tour - The One and Only Thread (Part 3)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero: World Tour - The One and Only Thread (Part 3)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Guitar Hero: World Tour - The One and Only Thread (Part 3)

I don't have that one. I have the Aerosmith edition. I just noticed it says Gilsburg, maybe it's not a Les Paul... sorry

Old 01-19-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Ahh, I misread. I got used to stretching my pinky with that one until I could swing it without screwing up.
Old 01-19-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! A Gilsburg?! Nice. That beats my Ferden Startocastor.
Old 01-19-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

OMG!!! She makes my eyes bleed! Gilsburg...
Old 01-19-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Gibson looked like Gilsburg from 3 feet away and that font

I'm not into guitar brands.
Old 01-19-09, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I don't have that one. I have the Aerosmith edition. I just noticed it says Gilsburg, maybe it's not a Les Paul... sorry

That's the Les Paul, just with a different skin (Aerosmith) than the normal white one. Gibson makes the Les Paul.

Last edited by BartleyR7; 01-19-09 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added Les Paul Link
Old 01-19-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BartleyR7
That's the Les Paul, just with a different skin (Aerosmith) than the normal white one. Gibson makes the Les Paul.
Yeah, but that is a Gilsburg! Don't you read?!
Old 01-19-09, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn
Yeah, but that is a Gilsburg! Don't you read?!
That is my mistake, I'm sorry. The Gilsburg is not the guitar pictured. It is, in fact, made by Hancock & Moore and appears to be comfortable. YMMV when attempting to play GH or RB with it.

Old 01-19-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Gilsburg?
Old 01-19-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GILSBURG! Deb, you are just priceless. Please don't ever change.
Old 01-19-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is my mistake, I'm sorry. The Gilsburg is not the guitar pictured. It is, in fact, made by Hancock & Moore and appears to be comfortable. YMMV when attempting to play GH or RB with it.

Damn, that is one fine ZZ Hancock! I think they exclusively use Gilsburg instruments.
Old 01-22-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Ok, I just got World Tour for PS3. I haven't read the whole thread, so bear with me. My question is can I use the GHWT PS3 guitar with Rock Band/Rock Band 2 for PS3? The lady at Gamestop said it won't work.

A search shows that it should and then people are saying it doesn't. I also need drums. Which ones should I get, and where?
Old 01-23-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Ok, I just got World Tour for PS3. I haven't read the whole thread, so bear with me. My question is can I use the GHWT PS3 guitar with Rock Band/Rock Band 2 for PS3? The lady at Gamestop said it won't work.

A search shows that it should and then people are saying it doesn't. I also need drums. Which ones should I get, and where?
According to this (and based on my own experience), yes the GHWT guitar will work for RB2.

As for drums, I greatly prefer the RB2 set over GHWT's. But what I'd recommend is heading down to your local Best Buy and giving each a shot, since a lot of stores have both games set up for customers to play. That way you can find out which one feels better for you (but keep in mind that the sets at those stores can be pretty worn-out).
Old 01-23-09, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Will it work for both Rock Bands? Also, what about the mic? I found an old PS2 mic from American Idol, will that work or should I buy a logitech one?

I want cheap drums, I guess. Cheap in price mainly. I saw the RB2 drum set at Gamestop but it was $90. I have seen RB1 drums on Amazon for $30. Don't the GHWT drums have an extra piece? How do they compensate for that with the RB ones?
Old 01-23-09, 06:09 AM

Will it work for both Rock Bands? Also, what about the mic? I found an old PS2 mic from American Idol, will that work or should I buy a logitech one?

I want cheap drums, I guess. Cheap in price mainly. I saw the RB2 drum set at Gamestop but it was $90. I have seen RB1 drums on Amazon for $30. Don't the GHWT drums have an extra piece? How do they compensate for that with the RB ones?
I found this thread over at the Harmonix forums that talk about RB1 and GH:WT drums compatibility. I didn't read the entire thing (it's 56 pages as of the time of this post), but the general feel I get is no. However, I do know (from personal experience) that the GH:WT drums work on RB1 downloadable content that is played in RB2. This leads me to believe that, even if the GH:WT drums don't work with RB1 proper, they could work when the RB1 tracks are imported into RB2. I can't verify this as I don't own the RB1 disc.

The GH:WT guitar works for all of the games listed in the the matrix FatTony posted earlier. This includes RB1.

Since the GH:WT drums have an extra input (a cymbal, in this case), RB just ignores the other pad. Instead of using all 5 pads on the GH:WT drum set, RB will only use 4 of the inputs. On RB2, it ignores the right cymbal.
Old 01-23-09, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Since the GH:WT drums have an extra input (a cymbal, in this case), RB just ignores the other pad. Instead of using all 5 pads on the GH:WT drum set, RB will only use 4 of the inputs. On RB2, it ignores the right cymbal.
Do you still activate SP the same way when using the GHWT drums on RB2?
Old 01-23-09, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Do you still activate SP the same way when using the GHWT drums on RB2?
No, SP (called overdrive in RB) is activated differently. Instead of having the option to hit both cymbals at once (in GH:WT) to activate SP whenever you want, you can only go into overdrive (OD) in RB2 when the game allows. When your OD meter fills enough (about 1/2 way full and will start flashing), the drummer will be presented with a section of highway that is "free play" or "fill." During this time, you can hit any notes you want. After this section, there will always be a single green note to hit. If you hit this green note, you go into OD. If you don't want to go into OD for whatever reason, just don't hit the note. You won't be charged a missed-note penalty for this note since it's optional. If you decide not to use your OD, you will have to wait until another section of "free play" highway comes and the single green note that follows it.

It sounds stupid and terrible, but it really isn't that bad. Sure, I prefer the GH:WT trigger mechanics for SP on the drums, but after a while of playing RB2 I don't even notice it.
Old 01-23-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds stupid and terrible, but it really isn't that bad. Sure, I prefer the GH:WT trigger mechanics for SP on the drums, but after a while of playing RB2 I don't even notice it.
interesting. I like the RB way better. it seems to fit and feel better. I am new to the drums in these games and have just finished medium in both games and have played maybe 1/2 dozen songs in hard. In GH:WT having to hit both cymbols very often screws up my combo and rythym and just doesn't feel right. I do like you can do it when you want, but in many songs it just doesn't fit to break your stride to hit both cymbols. To me the RB method just feels more natural and seems to fit into the songs more naturally.
Old 01-23-09, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by tcoursen
interesting. I like the RB way better. it seems to fit and feel better. I am new to the drums in these games and have just finished medium in both games and have played maybe 1/2 dozen songs in hard. In GH:WT having to hit both cymbols very often screws up my combo and rythym and just doesn't feel right. I do like you can do it when you want, but in many songs it just doesn't fit to break your stride to hit both cymbols. To me the RB method just feels more natural and seems to fit into the songs more naturally.
It does work good, don't get me wrong. I think some of it just depends on what you're used to and your background. Since I have a strong musical background and have dabbled in the drums, I just felt like the GH:WT method came more natural to me. Of course all of that is colored by the fact that I have had some real experience with the drums and that I played GH:WT before RB or RB2. I think there's room for both. It might be nice to even have an option to change it on either game, who knows.
Old 01-23-09, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Okay so the game has been out a couple months now and there's STILL not a single word from Activision or Redoctane about a stand alone drum set? WTF! They figured that if someone wants the GH WT drums they'll buy the whole 200$ bundle? Screw that! I hate the new guitar(My GH III PS3 guitar is the best!) and i don't need a mic.
So your biggest rival has a stand alone drum set to buy seperately and you don't? Great business move guys!
I'm tired of using my really loud RB1 drumset.! I want the GH WT drums damnit! And i'm pretty i'm can't be the only one waiting for them to release a stand alone drum set for us to buy, so thats more money for them...
Did they get burned so much from the faulty launch drums that they're scared of screwing up again..?
Bah, i love GH WT and i love drumming but like i said my RB 1 are WAY too annoying. So does anyone have ANY news regarding the separate drum set? Thanks!
Old 01-23-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Gilsburg?
Old 01-23-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Bah, i love GH WT and i love drumming but like i said my RB 1 are WAY too annoying. So does anyone have ANY news regarding the separate drum set? Thanks!
When I contacted RedOctane in November about this they had no idea. That the best way to find out would be to sign-up for their newsletter.

Shocking since they manufacture the things and they were clueless about when drums were going to be made available.

The only thing I can think is that they are revising/updating the kit with feedback from the launch.

And isnt Logitech working on a premium drumkit also?
Old 01-23-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, what about the mic? I found an old PS2 mic from American Idol, will that work or should I buy a logitech one?
Yep the Mic should work fine.
Old 01-23-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

popped this in last night again and fired up some co-op with the little lady, she took guitar and i took bass. It's fun for that, but on drums it still sucks IMO.

I HATE that I had to use a code to unlock songs in quickplay. There's no way in hell she'll want to slog through a career mode to unlock songs - so if there are any band acheivements, I won't be getting them
Old 01-23-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Play a band with the 2nd player on beginner vocals and just put the mic up against a source of constant noise. Very low-level white noise should work.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.