Reload this Page >

My folks bricked their Wii, any hope?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-29-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My folks had their Wii (only a few months old) plugged right into the wall, and they lost power to the house the other day and now it won't come on. They've tried unplugging it and letting it sit, and jiggling the cords and trying another outlet. They're not getting any of the lights to come on or anything. It's pretty new, only a couple of months. Will they have any luck taking it back to Best Buy with a receipt? Will a new power cord help (are they sold separately?)

thanks all
Old 10-29-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just call Nintendo. The systems have a 1-year warranty. They will email you/them a return label to ship off to them. They are pretty good about all of it (meaning Nintendo.)
Old 10-29-08, 09:18 PM
Banned

and next time connect it to a surge protector. all those power failure damage electrical equipment really easy.
Old 10-29-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My power supply went out on the Wii as well. The sent me another one no questions asked. I didn't even have to send back the old one. I doubt the console itself is hurt. One big advantage to having the power supply outside the console.
Old 10-30-08, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say they should start paying their electric bill
Old 10-30-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
In my experience, Nintendo is great with repairs. The three times I have sent an item in for a fix (Wii, DS twice), I got my system back in less than two weeks from when I sent it.
Old 10-30-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has happened to me a couple of times and both times I have had to unplug the power brick from the wall, and upplug it from the Wii and just let them both sit for about 5 minutes. Plug them back in and it comes up fine.

They need to make it standard that power bricks have an LED telling you if its working correctly so you can tell right away whats what.
Old 10-30-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelkee
This has happened to me a couple of times and both times I have had to unplug the power brick from the wall, and upplug it from the Wii and just let them both sit for about 5 minutes. Plug them back in and it comes up fine.

They need to make it standard that power bricks have an LED telling you if its working correctly so you can tell right away whats what.
Yeah, I've had to do the same thing a couple of times. Once when the power button light was off completely and the unit would not power on. The other when the blue light around the drive slot was flashing randomly and oddly with no disc in it. Both times everything worked great after the total unplugging trick.
Old 10-30-08, 09:23 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if it was installing a firmware update when the power went out? I know that bricked a few Wiis not long after the system launch.
Old 10-30-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
Yeah, I've had to do the same thing a couple of times. Once when the power button light was off completely and the unit would not power on. The other when the blue light around the drive slot was flashing randomly and oddly with no disc in it. Both times everything worked great after the total unplugging trick.
The flashing blue vajayjay means that you have new mail on the system, generally. You can disable this though.
Old 10-30-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway
The flashing blue vajayjay means that you have new mail on the system, generally. You can disable this though.
Good to know! I assumed something was wrong, because it was in Standby and I'd never seen that light come on for anything other than disc-in-drive action.
Old 10-31-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Thanks all, I'll have them try to get it fixed under warranty.

And to put it on a strip, my dad's usually good about this with this HT setup, but I think he ran out of spots on the strip.