Reload this Page >

Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition

Old 01-13-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition

Sold my Xbox 360 and iPod Touch over the weekend and used the money to buy a PS3 & remote.

Mainly wanted it for the Bluray aspect as I am a casual gamer, but I do intend to get a few titles for it, mostly older titles that have come down in price or are on sale. I'll be doing a search here in a moment, but if anyone has some recommended games that can be had on the cheap, please let me know.

I'm a bit concerned about all of the freeze talk as of late, I hope it's not a sign of things to come. Either way, for those that maybe contemplating the purchase, I recommend using a CC that automatically extends your warranty on your purchase. I used my AMEX specifically for that reason.
Old 01-13-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where the hell are the new demos on the PSN?
Old 01-14-09, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The PSN is seriously lacking over the past month.
Old 01-15-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I just posted this in the Wii thread:

YouTube Launches Website for the TV through PS3 and Wii Game Consoles

On the heels of CES, today YouTube is unveiling the TV Website, one of the first Google products built specifically for the TV. Initially available exclusively through the Sony PS3 and Nintendo Wii game consoles at http://www.youtube.com/tv, the TV Website offers a dynamic, lean-back, 10-foot television viewing experience that makes it easy to discover, watch and share YouTube videos on any TV screen with just a few quick clicks of the remote control.

http://www.gemaga.com/2009/01/15/you...-game-consoles

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Although YouTube has virtually always been available for viewing on the PS3 and Wii, it is nice to see YouTube provide a version of their site optimized for the consoles.

Now I just need hulu.com to get on the stick and offer a similar thing.
Old 01-15-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777
The PSN is seriously lacking over the past month.
Totally, I was away from my PS3 for almost a month and didn't miss a damn thing. When does Resident Evil 5 come out? I need a game to get excited about...
Old 01-15-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...

I've had a PS3 for almost a year now. I've only owned one game (The Show '08). Recently I got a new HDTV for my room and put the PS3 upstairs, so I hope it'll get a lot more use. The only game I've seen that really sparks my interest is Drake's Fortune.

Are there any other 'must have' games for the PS3 that are exclusive (not counting Metal Gear, as I played it once but couldn't get into it)? I do most of my gaming on the 360, so games that aren't exclusive I'll pick up for the Box.

= J
Old 01-15-09, 10:47 PM

Hey Guys,

Just bought a PS3 and got Prince Caspian on BD. I have a 720p/1080i TV and it looks great! I had to hook it up via component though b/c my TV is having trouble with the HDMI/ DVI handshake. But my DVDs look like crap now. I had an upconverting Sony player via HDMI/ DVI previously and they looked pretty good from what I remember.

1) Have I been watching crappy DVDs this whole time and didn't notice?
2) Does the PS3 upconvert via component at all???

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-15-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It only upscales through HDMI.
Old 01-15-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by ceeece
1) Have I been watching crappy DVDs this whole time and didn't notice?
Yes & no - your new TV just accentuates the flaws, which weren't as apparent on your old TV.
2) Does the PS3 upconvert via component at all???
Nope.
Old 01-16-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
So...

I've had a PS3 for almost a year now. I've only owned one game (The Show '08). Recently I got a new HDTV for my room and put the PS3 upstairs, so I hope it'll get a lot more use. The only game I've seen that really sparks my interest is Drake's Fortune.

Are there any other 'must have' games for the PS3 that are exclusive (not counting Metal Gear, as I played it once but couldn't get into it)? I do most of my gaming on the 360, so games that aren't exclusive I'll pick up for the Box.

= J
LittleBigPlanet is pretty cool. Ratchet and Clank:Future Tools of Destruction is pretty fun. The Resistance games have a lot of fans. And Uncharted, which you've already mentioned, is pretty awesome, too.

And then, if you're on the PSN, check out Pixeljunk Monsters, Pixeljunk Eden, and The Last Guy. (And then be on the lookout for Fat Princess coming out soon.)
Old 01-16-09, 05:26 AM
Banned

While not a true golf simulation, Hot Shots Golf is addicting as hell and beautiful to look at.
Old 01-16-09, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
Yes & no - your new TV just accentuates the flaws, which weren't as apparent on your old TV.
Nope.
Thanks. I didn't get a new TV unfortunately, just the PS3. Me thinks I'll have to recalabrate my TV for DVD playback.

I was afraid it wouldn't upscale through component.
Old 01-16-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So...

= J
What kind of games you like in the Xbox?

I tried the demo for Resistance 1 and didn't like it. I played Ratchet and Clank and really liked it. I loved Uncharted. I bought Heavenly Sword last month and I've just played a couple of hours but looks like fun.
I also have Little Big Planet and it's cool but kinda forgot about it when the big releases from Xbox came last year (Fallout, Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, etc.)

I also have the last two FIFA games, but I got them for the PS3 because I play online with a friend who's a playstation fanboy, so that's his only console.
Old 01-16-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

So, will any of you get this DC Universe Online for PS3 or PC? I'm curious how it will work on a console since I don't know much about MMO's or whatever they're called. I must admit that as a DC fan I'm kinda bummed this is only on PS3 and PC.

It's like DC went with a franchise I can't stand in their DC v. Mortal Kombat, and now a console I don't own.
Old 01-16-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
While not a true golf simulation, Hot Shots Golf is addicting as hell and beautiful to look at.
... along with being very non-gamer friendly. My better half loves it, and she can't even stand watching real-time golf.
Old 01-18-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
... along with being very non-gamer friendly. My better half loves it, and she can't even stand watching real-time golf.
Same here. My wife has beaten all the other Hot Sots games and the only reason I haven't picked up the latest on PS3 is beacause then she will bogart the console.
Old 01-18-09, 12:23 PM
Banned

You know, my roommate never played games until he watched my girlfriend and I playing HSG. Now he can't put the thing down. He gets up and plays before work, records all his good shots to show me later, .

Isn't there a new one coming on PSP?
Old 01-18-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
What kind of games you like in the Xbox?

I tried the demo for Resistance 1 and didn't like it. I played Ratchet and Clank and really liked it. I loved Uncharted. I bought Heavenly Sword last month and I've just played a couple of hours but looks like fun.
I also have Little Big Planet and it's cool but kinda forgot about it when the big releases from Xbox came last year (Fallout, Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, etc.)

I also have the last two FIFA games, but I got them for the PS3 because I play online with a friend who's a playstation fanboy, so that's his only console.
Mostly action games. I did have LittleBigPlanet for a little while, and it was fun, but after I beat it, I didn't see many levels online that were very good...at least not enough to make me keep it. But it was fun while it lasted.

I'm a sports fan, but I play those games on the 360 due to my friends playing.

On the 'Box, I've been playing Left 4 Dead, COD, NCAA '09, & Fallout 3.

= J
Old 01-19-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, yeah there's not a lot. I always go 360 for third party games too.

The only game I can think of right now is Killzone 2. The videos look really amazing. And it's going to be released in February, not a lot of big releases that month.
Old 01-19-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So...

= J
The Show '09 (in March)
Old 01-20-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll definitely be getting that one.

= J
Old 01-20-09, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Flower comes out next month as well. Hopefully there is a demo. I really want to see what the fuss is about.
Old 01-20-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Firmware 2.60 coming soon ... features DIVX 3.11 support, and new photo gallery utility, and ability to browse the PSN store without an account.

Blog post with video of photo gallery: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...e-v260-update/
Old 01-20-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With Killzone 2 coming out next month I'd like to get a different controller. Has anyone bought this controller yet? It has a similar analog stick layout to the 360 controller.

Dreamgear Shadow
Old 01-20-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Wow, that's awesome, the analogs are switched. I wish I could see it from a different angle to see the triggers. That may be worth a purchase. If only the'd gone all the way and done concave sticks instead of the convex ones Sony uses.

*edit - don't pull the trigger (pun intended) yet ed. From all the articles I've pulled up on google, SRP is only $39.99, making the $54 price from their site quite overpriced. Also after looking at a larger image, the buttons look very cheap.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-20-09 at 12:56 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.