DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/542277-official-ps3-thread-october-08-edition.html)

steebo777 03-13-09 12:18 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
You guys are being mean. Can't we all get along? :beer2:

UncleGramps 03-13-09 12:22 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
He asked for help, and we're giving it to him. I don't think we're being mean. :shrug:

I have nothing PS3-related to discuss anyway. :lol:

cgray 03-13-09 12:25 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
Oh shoots, this thread is lacking controls.

Ocelot 03-13-09 12:27 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
:lol: thanks Chess, i should have learned that by association... i truly get it now.

$40 for LBP from Amazon is pretty good, considering it's from Amazon, not eBay or others. This is the 2nd time they offer LBP at $40. I need more controllers now, two more... 4x on-line is one thing, but 4x at home is another. Most on-line players are experienced, so it's kinda hard to keep up sometimes.

edstein 03-13-09 01:00 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
I beat KZ2 last night. What's coming in the short term on the PS3? God of War III? I still need to finish Dead Space on the 360 but, after that I'll be looking for some new stuffs.

Ocelot 03-13-09 01:15 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 9324181)
I beat KZ2 last night. What's coming in the short term on the PS3? God of War III? I still need to finish Dead Space on the 360 but, after that I'll be looking for some new stuffs.

On what setting you beat KZ2? I'm taking it slow, since there won't be another action game like this for a while...

GoW III? Man, i wish... maybe a demo by this fall. I think the game is set for March 2010. Day one for me, i can't wait for the conclusion (but i heard there's another GoW for the PSP in the works).

How about RE5? but i'm guessing you're getting the Xbox version? My PS3 CE is arriving today, maybe i'll open it on Pie day.

The next PS3 game for me is Uncharted 2, also day one material for me.

Liver&Onions 03-13-09 01:26 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by Ocelot (Post 9323932)
see, i never knew that :)

OT as it is, but thank you UncleGramps, i learned something new today. Interesting, stuff (singular) is a noun, but stuffs (plural) is not. I guess i'll stick to "thing" from now on, less confusing.

oh craps, for a minute i thought that correction was for me... never mind, it's still good knowledge.

I distinctly remember telling you this type of stuff months ago, and you took it to heart and started using 'stuff' correctly for a while...then the relapse.

UncleGramps 03-13-09 01:26 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
The next PS3 exclusive that has my attention is Infamous, and that's not until June. My PS3 is mainly a Blu-ray player and a PSN downloadable game player these days. I do have Valkyria Chronicles from Gamefly, though. That should be fun.

Liver&Onions 03-13-09 01:27 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu (Post 9323912)
They should, but they never will. Why pass up the opportunity to pile on someone who thinks differently from them? Not to mention the moderation of this forum is about as immature as it gets.

The exit is that way ---->



Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 9323924)
He is not immature, he is Canadian, please. Don't be xenophobic.

Thanks Raul3

Arthur Dent 03-13-09 01:27 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by Ocelot (Post 9323820)
please do, b/c that's one thing worthy of my time to come here. Correct it for me and no, i'm not being sarcastic. I'm not ashamed of my grammar mistakes, b/c English is not my first language. To be honest, i'm writing, speaking like this b/c that's how the American education taught me.

so, please, stop correcting me by telling me it's wrong. Correcting me by quoting the mistakes so that i can learn, thank you in advance.

I'm sorry.


Originally Posted by chess (Post 9323887)
Hopefully some folks here feel a bit like douche-nozzles.

I feel like a douche-- not so much a douche-nozzle.

chess 03-13-09 01:29 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
I haven't finished downloading the demo, but Wanted looks pretty interesting. So does InFamous, which I think is exclusive.

RE5 looks a bit rough, and I think Dead Space would be a better buy.

Uncharted 2 looks amazing.

UncleGramps 03-13-09 01:32 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
If you only own a PS3, there are plenty of cross-platform games worth your time. It's the realm of exclusive games where the PS3 seems to struggle in comparison to the 360. It's been that way from launch, and I'm not sure that it will change any time soon.

fujishig 03-13-09 01:43 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
Even cross-platform, the well seems dry until around June or so. Here's the next couple of months (I removed some of the licensed kids stuff, like the Hannah montana game). I guess Riddick seems promising.

3/23:

C&C Red Alert 3
3/24:
Wanted: Weapons of Fate
Stormrise
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania
Wheelman

3/29:
Guitar Hero Metallica

4/7:
Godfather 2

4/21:
Damnation
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2

5/7:
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

5/12:
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust
Fuel

5/19:
Virtual Tennis 2009
Terminator: Salvation
Cross Edge

etc. Then in June and early July, we get
Bionic Commando
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Prototype
Ghostbusters
Overlord 2
inFamous

all of which I'm interested in

Liver&Onions 03-13-09 01:44 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
The Wheelman demo was a blast actually.

steebo777 03-13-09 01:44 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
Works for me, I can catch up on all the games I still need to play.

chess 03-13-09 01:47 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by UncleGramps (Post 9324239)
If you only own a PS3, there are plenty of cross-platform games worth your time. It's the realm of exclusive games where the PS3 seems to struggle in comparison to the 360. It's been that way from launch, and I'm not sure that it will change any time soon.

I know this is the common sentiment, but I'm not so sure. I can't think of anything in the 360 library that I'd trade Uncharted, LittleBIGPlanet, Motorstorm or Warhawk for.

:shrug:

I'm sure more than a few folks would add MGS 4 and Killzone 2 to that list as well.

The bigger issue for PS3 is when crossplatform games aren't as good or robust, like Orange Box or Lost Planet.

UncleGramps 03-13-09 02:15 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by chess (Post 9324271)
I know this is the common sentiment, but I'm not so sure. I can't think of anything in the 360 library that I'd trade Uncharted, LittleBIGPlanet, Motorstorm or Warhawk for.

:shrug:

I'm sure more than a few folks would add MGS 4 and Killzone 2 to that list as well.

Certainly it won't universally apply to everyone, but I think that as you said, it's the common sentiment.

The only big name PS3 exclusives that are big pulls for me are LBP, MGS4, and Uncharted. Motorstorm and Warhawk are fun, but not top-tier games for me. Compare that to:

- Dead Rising
- Halo series
- Gears of War series
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Crackdown
- Fable 2

Everyone will have their own lists, so...to each their own. :shrug:

edstein 03-13-09 02:17 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by Ocelot (Post 9324205)
On what setting you beat KZ2? I'm taking it slow, since there won't be another action game like this for a while...

GoW III? Man, i wish... maybe a demo by this fall. I think the game is set for March 2010. Day one for me, i can't wait for the conclusion (but i heard there's another GoW for the PSP in the works).

How about RE5? but i'm guessing you're getting the Xbox version? My PS3 CE is arriving today, maybe i'll open it on Pie day.

The next PS3 game for me is Uncharted 2, also day one material for me.

I beat it on Hard which unlocks Elite difficulty. Not really a spoiler but they set it up such that there will be a Killzone 3 at some point.

slop101 03-13-09 02:19 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 9324261)
The Wheelman demo was a blast actually.

I agree - it was quite meaty too; one of the longest demos I've played.

SonOfAStu 03-13-09 02:23 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 9324230)
The exit is that way ---->


I'm not going to leave just because you use your position to be a jerk to people without repercussion. Don't worry - you're not the first mod to act like this and you certainly won't be the last.

Liver&Onions 03-13-09 02:27 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu (Post 9324351)
I'm not going to leave just because you use your position to be a jerk to people without repercussion. Don't worry - you're not the first mod to act like this and you certainly won't be the last.

Cool :) Well, then I suggest you cut out with the personal attacks, as those are against the TOS.

chess 03-13-09 02:51 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by UncleGramps (Post 9324334)
Certainly it won't universally apply to everyone, but I think that as you said, it's the common sentiment.

The only big name PS3 exclusives that are big pulls for me are LBP, MGS4, and Uncharted. Motorstorm and Warhawk are fun, but not top-tier games for me. Compare that to:

- Dead Rising
- Halo series
- Gears of War series
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Crackdown
- Fable 2

Everyone will have their own lists, so...to each their own. :shrug:

Fair enough. What I was getting at was that the "idea" that the PS3 "has no games" sort of becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy even though it's not really true anymore. I only used the specific games to illustrate the point.

Sorry for not being more clear.

edstein 03-13-09 02:55 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 
The 360 is my console of choice and I will get cross platform games for that system. However, many of the PS3 exculsives have been pretty good so far. I've been waiting for a price drop on Heavenly Sword and I may just rent Resistance. And if I can find a good deal on Uncharted I'll pick that up as well.

UncleGramps 03-13-09 03:10 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by chess (Post 9324440)
Fair enough. What I was getting at was that the "idea" that the PS3 "has no games" sort of becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy even though it's not really true anymore. I only used the specific games to illustrate the point.

Sorry for not being more clear.

I agree with that point. The PS3 has a ton of great cross-platform games, and its console-exclusive library is certainly improving.

Perhaps my POV is skewed since I have a PS3 and a 360 and generally play cross-platform games on the 360. As a result, I own a bunch of 360 games and very few PS3 games. If you only own a PS3, you can certainly find plenty of things to play.

Also, I feel like the downloadable PSN games are some of the strongest games on the system, and sometimes they get overlooked.

RichC2 03-13-09 03:11 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition
 

Originally Posted by chess (Post 9324271)
I know this is the common sentiment, but I'm not so sure. I can't think of anything in the 360 library that I'd trade Uncharted, LittleBIGPlanet, Motorstorm or Warhawk for.

:shrug:

I'm sure more than a few folks would add MGS 4 and Killzone 2 to that list as well.

The bigger issue for PS3 is when crossplatform games aren't as good or robust, like Orange Box or Lost Planet.

Yeah the whole thing is a matter of opinion. I quickly tired of LittleBigPlanet and didn't care for Motorstorm (I actually enjoyed Pure substantially more) or Warhawk. Uncharted is fantastic though.

I like the amount of effort that goes into the downloadable games on the PS3, there are numerous games that almost feel like full priced ventures (Wipeout, Tekken) even if they are ports of PSP games (don't own a PSP so it's new to me). I also appreciate the more art house games (though I don't actually enjoy playing them so much haha). Conversely, the 360 seems to target casual gamers with its arcade downloadables (though Ikaruga single handedly made up for many iffy selections for me).

The PS3 is a fine console, as is the 360, people with both will flock to whichever one 1) They like the controller better on, 2) Know more people with.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.