DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/542277-official-ps3-thread-october-08-edition.html)

Music 02-11-09 09:18 PM

Re: Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition

:dance:

GatorDeb 02-12-09 12:07 PM

You know what I didn't think it had a sticker but it did. The other library DVDs have a sticker around the hub with the disc info, and this sticker had been taken off, leaving sticky residue behind. I guess that last eject try finally dislodged the stickiness. I'll make sure to mention it when I return it.

pinata242 02-12-09 12:40 PM

Always check for goo before sticking anything in your slot.

XavierMike 02-12-09 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9262089)

I'm just going to leave it to everyone to make there own joke about this line.

edstein 02-12-09 02:33 PM

I needed some new sig material, thanks. :up:

chess 02-12-09 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 9262006)
You know what I didn't think it had a sticker but it did. The other library DVDs have a sticker around the hub with the disc info, and this sticker had been taken off, leaving sticky residue behind. I guess that last eject try finally dislodged the stickiness. I'll make sure to mention it when I return it.

Called it.

10 lashes for cursing the uber-reliable PS3. ;)

Music 02-12-09 07:51 PM

:dance:

Fandango 02-12-09 09:14 PM

Flower is fantastic, I beat it earlier. Even the credits are a stage. Wait until you see level 3!

darkside 02-12-09 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fandango (Post 9263282)
Flower is fantastic, I beat it earlier.

I finished the first two levels and I love it.

chess 02-13-09 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by cgray (Post 9259246)
For the tower defense itch, here's two free tower defense games at miniclip.com.

Viking Defense: I really like a couple things in this game that PJM does not have:
1) Doing certain things in a level (e.g. building 10 buildings, destroying X flying enemies) opens up additional structures/abilities you can build/use;
2) By building higher cost structures, you obtain special powers that you have to use wisely, as they take a couple minutes to refresh (this would be like in PJM if you had a mine you could use every three minutes, rather than use five gems); and
3) You can build a structure that lets you build additional places from which to build new structures (in PJM, this would be the equivalent of building more trees). Again, in this game anyway, you build a structure to do this, and then get to build a new "tree" about every 2 minutes or so following that.

I played this before ever playing PJM and, while PJM is obviously the better game, it seemed kind of simple. I hope that a PS3 tower defense can borrow some ideas from the above. Never played Savage Moon. I don't like the idea of having to scroll around and losing track of base, though.

Here is an earlier predecessor, as well:
Canyon Defense

Off topic, I know, but thanks for this...sort of...kept me up till 1AM this morning. I beat the last level, and you're right, there are some cool ideas in this one. The balance in this one is a bit strange in that I had more trouble in the early levels than the later ones. You really have to spend wisely early on (a bit of trial and error), but later, space becomes more valuable than money and you are a bit overpowered.

Still, very good stuff, and I think I like it as much or more than PJM. I'll likely play it again this weekend.

My Tower Defense itch has officially been scratched and for free, but I will still pick up one of the PSN ones if they ever go on sale.

superfro 02-13-09 11:09 AM

Flower is fantastic, I beat it earlier. Even the credits are a stage. Wait until you see level 3!

Considering I stopped after level 2 last night, seeing this is uber exciting! Can't wait!

How many "levels" are there total?

Fandango 02-13-09 12:38 PM

There's 6 and a credits stage.

HotThang 02-13-09 05:25 PM

What is the significance of the petals/leaves that fall from your flower at the end of each level? On level 1, 1 fell, on level 2, 2 fell. None have fallen in the next few levels.

Edit: Nevermind. It looks like you get a leaf for each secret flower you bloom. :-) I just got the flow trophy!

SonOfAStu 02-14-09 02:39 PM

Anyone else pick up the new HSG course last week? It's Golfasaurus Rex. Pretty entertaining and a very challenging layout. All kinds of extremely detailed dinosaurs walking around the course, sometimes playing, chasing, or fighting with each other.

While I will continue to purchase any and all DLC they release for this game (it's still the most played of all my PS3 games), I really wish they would add more to these packs for the price. This one should have come with caveman/cavewoman outfits for at least a couple of the characters and a set of clubs made out of dinosaur bones or something.

Liver&Onions 02-15-09 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by HotThang (Post 9265251)
What is the significance of the petals/leaves that fall from your flower at the end of each level? On level 1, 1 fell, on level 2, 2 fell. None have fallen in the next few levels.

Edit: Nevermind. It looks like you get a leaf for each secret flower you bloom. :-) I just got the flow trophy!

I just got 3 on the 2nd level - I'm guessing there are 3 secret blooms per level?

Oh - and on level 2 my pedals all turned blue with a glowing ball in the front for a couple minutes, what's that all about?

Shannon Nutt 02-16-09 12:27 PM

That's what she said!

Michael Corvin 02-18-09 10:10 AM

Reviews of the Shadow Wireless controller are trickling out. This one seemed to really enjoy it and it has photos of the 'enhanced triggers.' The same review is posted on many sites, needless to say the 'fanboy' feedback on these sites is hysterical to say the least.

It's also now available on Amazon for $40.

Trevor 02-18-09 11:29 AM

Just bought a harmony remote, but guess I still need a dongle receiver for it to control the PS3. I have some Circuit City giftcards to use, and they have the Nyko remote/dongle there. Anyone use it?

Also, any thoughts on the Sony keyboard for the PS3? I'm running out of ideas on what to spend my giftcards on, and better use them up quick.

Michael Corvin 02-18-09 11:32 AM

You have gift cards? How many. Man, my CC is pretty much wiped clean in the games section. You better get over there.

One thing there weren't short on: Sony PSPs. They had about 50-60 of them.

chuckd21 02-18-09 11:41 AM

Pretty sure they no longer take gift cards...

Trevor 02-18-09 11:48 AM

Nope, they are still taking them. I have maybe $250 to use.

Slightly tempted by the PSP, but just sold my DS and my iphone gives me all the portable gaming I need. Even at 40-60% off the blu-rays and DVDs aren't tempting me much, nor the games at 40%, so I'm really scratching my head on what to buy.

pinata242 02-18-09 11:49 AM

Maybe buy something you can resell and effectively convert the gift cards into cash.

Michael Corvin 02-18-09 11:56 AM

Not sure if you need it, but mine still had a ton of portable hard drives. Of course with their 'big' clearance discount, they are just now in the same range as Amazon. :lol:

You could use one to store music/media on with your PS3, assuming you aren't streaming it already.

The Bus 02-18-09 03:49 PM

How'd you beat it when you have no trophies for it?

steebo777 02-18-09 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9274369)
Just bought a harmony remote, but guess I still need a dongle receiver for it to control the PS3. I have some Circuit City giftcards to use, and they have the Nyko remote/dongle there. Anyone use it?

I use my Harmony 880 with the Nyko Bluewave dongle. It works perfect, just set it it up as the Bluewave in the Harmony software and you're good to go!