DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/542277-official-ps3-thread-october-08-edition.html)

Arthur Dent 10-25-08 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by bdshort (Post 9027814)
I got a beta code for Resistance 2 a couple days ago, but really haven't had a chance to play it much yet. I know that I suck at it though! I've been playing a lot of High Velocity Bowling though! Anyone up for a match, add me :)

I will be adding you, kind sir. I, too, have been playing a lot of HVB.

Ravenous 10-25-08 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard (Post 9025747)
PSU is the Playstation Underground. http://www.us.playstation.com/

There you can register your playstation hardware and software. Sign up for announcements. Go to their forums. Check the playstation blog. A few weeks back they had a signup for the Resistance 2 beta and are now sending out the codes. They also had codes for the LittleBigPlanet beta and other stuff.

The PSN card is basically a gift card for the playstation network. Sorta like Xbox points or Wii points. You can use the card to purchase downloadable content for your PS3. Some are happy about this because it means they can make a purchase without having to use their credit card online. Others are happy because it means an increased possibility of getting PSN credit at a discount and therefore ultimately getting a better deal on DLC.

Ahhh gotcha. Thanks for the info! Looks like I should sign up. Though I doubt Ill play the beta. I have tons of Demos and hardly played any of those yet.

Spiderbite 10-25-08 03:54 PM

Okay...long story short...I got another PS3. This time it is the 80GB MGS special that has BC! Yah! I got it off ebay for a fantastic price (if you don't know about the current 25% special at Ebay using Live Cashback...well you should).

Some quick questions. Since this was a used PS3, the guy who sold it to me included MGS naturally and also included the code for Pain. The kicker is he already downloaded it and the code no longer works. He did the hard drive wipe before he sent it and I can't seem to figure out if I can even get the game or not. Are downloaded games linked to your PSN account? It was likely on his and since it has been wiped, is there any way he can transfer it to me or is it lost to the internet gods?

I know this is a question that has been asked a million times but is there a list somewhere of exclusives for the PS3 and any ya'll consider must haves? If it is a game on both consoles, they will always be bought for the 360 but I would be interested in checking out some of the PS3 exclusives. I popped in MGS last night and played thru the first couple of levels. Man that game looks fantastic.

I DESPISE the PS controller but I guess I will have to get used to it. It is nice having the dualshock though and at least it feels a little heavier than the non-dualshock. Does anyone make a decent 3rd party controller for the PS3 that is patterned after the 360 controller?

I am actually most excited about getting to play God Of War I and II finally. I never owned a PS2 so I plan to pick up some of the must have exclusives for that system as well (Shadow of Collossus as well. Any others highly recommended?).

Does the first Guitar Hero and GH: Rock The 80's work fine with the PS3? If so, do you need a PS2 guitar or a PS3 guitar or do both work? Just curious if I find them cheap.

And finally, do you guys use the normal or full screen mode for your PS2 games? And do you turn smoothing on?

I know that is a lot of questions but thanks for the insight and opinions in advance.

dsa_shea 10-25-08 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 9028431)
Okay...long story short...I got another PS3. This time it is the 80GB MGS special that has BC! Yah! I got it off ebay for a fantastic price (if you don't know about the current 25% special at Ebay using Live Cashback...well you should).

Some quick questions. Since this was a used PS3, the guy who sold it to me included MGS naturally and also included the code for Pain. The kicker is he already downloaded it and the code no longer works. He did the hard drive wipe before he sent it and I can't seem to figure out if I can even get the game or not. Are downloaded games linked to your PSN account? It was likely on his and since it has been wiped, is there any way he can transfer it to me or is it lost to the internet gods?

I know this is a question that has been asked a million times but is there a list somewhere of exclusives for the PS3 and any ya'll consider must haves? If it is a game on both consoles, they will always be bought for the 360 but I would be interested in checking out some of the PS3 exclusives. I popped in MGS last night and played thru the first couple of levels. Man that game looks fantastic.

I DESPISE the PS controller but I guess I will have to get used to it. It is nice having the dualshock though and at least it feels a little heavier than the non-dualshock. Does anyone make a decent 3rd party controller for the PS3 that is patterned after the 360 controller?

I am actually most excited about getting to play God Of War I and II finally. I never owned a PS2 so I plan to pick up some of the must have exclusives for that system as well (Shadow of Collossus as well. Any others highly recommended?).

Does the first Guitar Hero and GH: Rock The 80's work fine with the PS3? If so, do you need a PS2 guitar or a PS3 guitar or do both work? Just curious if I find them cheap.

And finally, do you guys use the normal or full screen mode for your PS2 games? And do you turn smoothing on?

I know that is a lot of questions but thanks for the insight and opinions in advance.

I hope you're not thinking about playing them on that particular PS3 as it is not backwards compatible. Other than that you can't go wrong with a PS3/Blu-Ray player.

flix1 10-25-08 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 9028481)
I hope you're not thinking about playing them on that particular PS3 as it is not backwards compatible. Other than that you can't go wrong with a PS3/Blu-Ray player.

I know some versions of the 80GB MSG Bundle are backwards compatible.

A friend of mine is currently playing God of War II on his 80GB MSG PS3.

wetsprockets 10-25-08 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 9028481)

The 80gb MGS edition has BC. It's the last PS3 that has it.

Spiderbite 10-25-08 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by wetsprockets (Post 9028521)
The 80gb MGS edition has BC. It's the last PS3 that has it.

Yep. I already tried a PS2 game on it and it worked perfectly.

Soooo...about my dozen questions...

tlwizard 10-25-08 07:42 PM

Let's see... PSN games are tied to accounts, so you're not going to be able to get PAIN. That is unless he's willing to give you his email address and password and then you could share the game from him.

As for exclusives, there's a list on AVS on current and future PS3 exclusives. (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858296) As far as recommended games, Uncharted is always highly recommended. As is Ratchet and Clank. I really enjoy Warhawk as well as Buzz Quiz. LittleBigPlanet is the new hot title which is really impressive. As far as PSN exclusive titles, you should check out Pixeljunk Monsters as well as Eden, although Monsters is probably more friendly. The Last Guy is also fun.

As far as GH and stuff, I don't know the answers to those questions. But, on PS2 games, I have been using full screen mode. Not sure about video smoothing.

tlwizard 10-25-08 08:01 PM

I also meant to add that I hope the ebay guy also sent you the original receipt in case you need any warranty work done.

chess 10-25-08 10:17 PM

Pain is worthless...no big loss.

PS2 Guitar Heroes are problematic at best on PS3, and I have the 60Gb. Guitars no workie. But the good news is that Rock Band has been positively walking all over Guitar Hero for the past year. I'd pick up RB2 disk only, rent RB1 to extract the tracks, and get a GH3 Les Paul used at Gamestop for $30.

Recommendations...

PS3 exclusives:

Warhawk
Uncharted
Wipeout HD
Ratchet
MGS4
LittleBigPlanet

Multiconsole:

Rock Band!!!!
Gran Theft Auto 4
Bioshock
Pure
Lego anything...if you have kids

Ravenous 10-26-08 03:50 AM

Okay I got Bioshock!!! I havent gotten a game this close to its release in years.

Who else got it? Too bad theres no online play. I wont dive into it until Im done with Burnout, and Ive got about 23 cars left till Im done, but about 85 events till elite license.

Michael Corvin 10-26-08 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenous (Post 9029262)
Okay I got Bioshock!!! I havent gotten a game this close to its release in years.

Who else got it? Too bad theres no online play. I wont dive into it until Im done with Burnout, and Ive got about 23 cars left till Im done, but about 85 events till elite license.

-ohbfrank- Online play does not belong in a game like this.

Decker 10-26-08 09:44 AM

I never understand statements like that. Sure, you can prefer the 360's controller over the ps3 one, but to DESPISE it? I rather like it. Certainy the D pad is significantly better -- it's essentially useless on the 360's controller. I also prefer the DS3's convex textured stick heads over the 360's concave dimpled ones. I didn't like the sixaxis as it was too light and the missing feedback was a big deal to me, but the DS3 is pretty fine in my book.

Spiderbite 10-26-08 09:51 AM

What's so hard to understand? I don't like their controller. You like the feel of it. I hate the feel of it. Everyone has different feeling and opinions.

It just feels so small and cramped in my hands. It's not like I have huge hands but just normal average size hands. It just doesn't feel very comfortable when I am so used to the 360's controller. The triggers and bumpers on the Dualshock especially suck if you are used to the triggers and bumpers of the 360. The sticks seem too far in and um...I just hate this controller. I don't have one good thing to say about it except that the rumble works well.

slop101 10-26-08 12:15 PM

The Dualshock controller always feels like it's about to slip out of my hand - kinda like holding two eggs.

pinata242 10-26-08 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9029610)
The Dualshock controller always feels like it's about to slip out of my hand - kinda like holding two eggs.

Next time leave the shells on, genius.

I know exactly what you mean and that's a great way to put it. It was fine when that's all there was, but the 360 controller blows it away, d-pad notwithstanding. That's broken functionality, but form factor is light years ahead and, really, that's one of the most important properties of a video game controller.

Arthur Dent 10-26-08 12:59 PM

I find that my hands/fingers get the tingling, "falling asleep" sensation with pretty much every controller*, for some reason- plus the handhelds.

*Only used 360 controller once or twice for short time periods, so can't say how it fairs.

Ravenous 10-26-08 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9029315)
-ohbfrank- Online play does not belong in a game like this.

-rolleyes- Why not?

The PS3 controller was always my fave. But Ive noticed my palm and finger starting to hurt after awhile when playing Burnout

fumanstan 10-26-08 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9029405)
I never understand statements like that. Sure, you can prefer the 360's controller over the ps3 one, but to DESPISE it? I rather like it. Certainy the D pad is significantly better -- it's essentially useless on the 360's controller. I also prefer the DS3's convex textured stick heads over the 360's concave dimpled ones. I didn't like the sixaxis as it was too light and the missing feedback was a big deal to me, but the DS3 is pretty fine in my book.

Of all things, a controller would be the easiest thing to despise. I can't imagine despising a console itself, but it's pretty easy to hate how something feels and controls in your hands. Not really any different from despising the way, say a Mouse on the PC, feels and functions.

Baron Of Hell 10-26-08 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous (Post 9029861)
-rolleyes- Why not?

Multiplayer would have come at a price. The single player game would have suffered and the single player game could use a little work. My thought is multiplayer shouldn't be done until the single player game is near 100% like half life.

Michael Corvin 10-26-08 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous (Post 9029861)
-rolleyes- Why not?

The PS3 controller was always my fave. But Ive noticed my palm and finger starting to hurt after awhile when playing Burnout

It's not a run and gun FPS. It is slow, atmospheric and deliberate. Multiplayer would essentially go against everything the game represents.

Not every game needs multiplayer. I can't stand when people bring it up as if it is a negative.

Drexl 10-26-08 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 9029423)
What's so hard to understand? I don't like their controller. You like the feel of it. I hate the feel of it. Everyone has different feeling and opinions.

It just feels so small and cramped in my hands. It's not like I have huge hands but just normal average size hands. It just doesn't feel very comfortable when I am so used to the 360's controller. The triggers and bumpers on the Dualshock especially suck if you are used to the triggers and bumpers of the 360. The sticks seem too far in and um...I just hate this controller. I don't have one good thing to say about it except that the rumble works well.

I suggest getting the Messiah trigger extenders. They make a huge difference. Forget the armor though; it's crap.

Or, if you're really determined to have controller you like better, and have some time on your hands: http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/01/h...60-controller/ :)

Spiderbite 10-26-08 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9030297)
I suggest getting the Messiah trigger extenders. They make a huge difference. Forget the armor though; it's crap.

Or, if you're really determined to have controller you like better, and have some time on your hands: http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/01/h...60-controller/ :)

Holy shit, that's cool! Can't I just buy one from that guy? ;)

I'll check out the trigger extenders. Had no idea they even made such a thing. I was a Target today and checked out their third party PS3 controllers. Logitech had some pretty cool looking 360 knock-offs but it would be hard to give up rumble. I will probably have to suck it up as no third party controllers ever get rumble, correct?

Michael Corvin 10-26-08 09:06 PM

I'm still waiting for some NERF controllers for the 360/PS3.

Ravenous 10-26-08 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9030029)
It's not a run and gun FPS. It is slow, atmospheric and deliberate. Multiplayer would essentially go against everything the game represents.

Not every game needs multiplayer. I can't stand when people bring it up as if it is a negative.

I never said it as a negative! If I thought it mattered, I wouldnt have gotten the game. I dont even play online anyway. I have Burnout and played it once online for about 15 mins. Thats it.

I would have just liked to play as a Big Daddy in Bio, that would kick ass.