DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/542277-official-ps3-thread-october-08-edition.html)

IDrinkMolson 11-29-08 08:55 PM

I didn't sign up for anything or download any Home themes.
I did link my PSN and playstation.com ID's and a few days later I got the invite. Probably just coincidence.

Canis Firebrand 11-29-08 09:04 PM


Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 9101146)
I didn't sign up for anything or download any Home themes.
I did link my PSN and playstation.com ID's and a few days later I got the invite. Probably just coincidence.

Maybe.. but congrats.

I've been trying for the longest time to get one. :shrug:

Trevor 11-29-08 10:23 PM

Ok, I think I'm about to join you all. I have an ebay 10% coupon expiring tomorrow, plus the live 30% cashback, so this seems like the time to take the plunge. A lot of the PS3 buy-it-now sellers seem a bit shady, and I'm worried about being taken. Anyone have any recent experience on ebay with buying a new system? I'll be totally new to playstation ownership, but bought my first PS3 game already.

collven 11-29-08 10:50 PM


Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9101289)
Ok, I think I'm about to join you all. I have an ebay 10% coupon expiring tomorrow, plus the live 30% cashback, so this seems like the time to take the plunge. A lot of the PS3 buy-it-now sellers seem a bit shady, and I'm worried about being taken. Anyone have any recent experience on ebay with buying a new system? I'll be totally new to playstation ownership, but bought my first PS3 game already.


Try to find one that will include a gift receipt for warranty purposes and you should be fine.

Drexl 11-29-08 11:14 PM


Originally Posted by Vryce (Post 9101163)
Maybe.. but congrats.

I've been trying for the longest time to get one. :shrug:

I don't think there's anything you can do about it. It's probably random.

BTW, did you make sure your account is set up to receive email messages? I read somewhere that people had declined it (because they didn't want marketing) and that's why they weren't getting the Home invitation.

Canis Firebrand 11-29-08 11:28 PM


Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9101352)
I don't think there's anything you can do about it. It's probably random.

BTW, did you make sure your account is set up to receive email messages? I read somewhere that people had declined it (because they didn't want marketing) and that's why they weren't getting the Home invitation.

Yeah.. My email is opted-in.

And by doing stuff, I mean signing up for things as I see them, like downloading the theme. And checking the homebetatrial.com website when it was up and didn't link to the ps forums.

mhg83 11-29-08 11:31 PM


Originally Posted by Vryce (Post 9101163)
Maybe.. but congrats.

I've been trying for the longest time to get one. :shrug:

I got an invite a few days back. downloaded it and didnt really like it. Can i still share the code or is it tied to my system already? If so i'll give you my code.

Canis Firebrand 11-29-08 11:33 PM


Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 9101374)
I got an invite a few days back. downloaded it and didnt really like it. Can i still share the code or is it tied to my system already? If so i'll give you my code.

I think once it is redeemed that is it.. If you wanted to PM me, I could try. But I don't think that I would be able to download it.

Drexl 11-29-08 11:54 PM


Originally Posted by Vryce (Post 9101368)
Yeah.. My email is opted-in.

And by doing stuff, I mean signing up for things as I see them, like downloading the theme. And checking the homebetatrial.com website when it was up and didn't link to the ps forums.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. The extent of my involvement is mostly some activity on the official PlayStation forums (maybe 30-40 posts, but few recently). I really haven't downloaded that much content - just a PSN game and Yoda for SCIV.

I did take a survey though, a couple of weeks before I got the Home beta code.

Oh, and I'm joking here, but I wonder if my frustrating download experience had something to do with it. I had to try downloading Tekken: DR about a dozen times before it finally would install (I didn't get a successful download/install until I changed my IP address). Maybe that activity counted more, as in 12 separate PSN games, or they gave me the invitation for my trouble. ;)

mhg83 11-29-08 11:58 PM


Originally Posted by Vryce (Post 9101377)
I think once it is redeemed that is it.. If you wanted to PM me, I could try. But I don't think that I would be able to download it.

just sent you a pm

ChrisHicks 11-30-08 05:19 AM

I want to get a driving wheel for my PS3. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Jamieson22 11-30-08 01:30 PM

Is there anything known about audio drop-outs over HDMI during BluRay movie playback with a PS3?

Two different movies (most recently Hellboy 2) had sections where the audio would drop in and out. I could see on my receiver (Denon AVR-3806) that the audio input signal would cut out. It drops for only a second but toggles in and out quickly making a movie hard to watch. Picture remians perfect.

I was able to fix the problem by taking movie out, wiping it down and then the seection would play normally. It happened in two scenes in Hellboy and honestly I could see NOTHING dirty on the disc. I mean, it looked brand new, not a scratch.

My firmware is updated and my PS3 is pretty much brand new.

Thanks
Jamie

redbill 11-30-08 04:02 PM

I had no problems with Hellboy2 on my ps3 over hdmi to an onkyo 705.

Drexl 11-30-08 04:12 PM

Even receivers can have firmware to be updated these days. I'd look into that being a possibility.

IDrinkMolson 11-30-08 04:23 PM

Maybe try and turn the Dynamic Range Control off? There was a problem with Iron Man.

Spiderbite 11-30-08 05:00 PM


Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9094608)
Everyone needs to buy Eden.

I tried the demo of Eden last night. Very cool little game. Kinda reminds me of Rez HD where I don't feel I really grasp what the hell I am doing the whole time (except Eden beats the shit out of Rez in the fun department...at least demo wise).

Are PSN point cards widespread yet or still just at Fry's? (of which there are none in my state)

If i had a pile of points in my PSN account like I do with Live, I would likely pick it up but taking the time to get point cards just for this game...nah. And they ain't getting my credit card attached to my PSN account either.

Canis Firebrand 11-30-08 07:09 PM

I have seen PSN cards at Target and Best Buy

dsa_shea 11-30-08 07:27 PM


Originally Posted by Vryce (Post 9102676)
I have seen PSN cards at Target and Best Buy

Wal-mart even had some. I think they go up to 50 dollars.

Michael Corvin 11-30-08 08:49 PM

Meijer has them as well.

Baron Of Hell 11-30-08 09:36 PM

If anyone is having trouble putting in credit card info the address has to match exactly what the credit card company has. I kept putting my apartment number on line 2 and kept getting a invalid card error. Then put it on line 1 and it worked.

Raul3 12-01-08 09:46 AM


Originally Posted by ChrisHicks (Post 9101688)
I want to get a driving wheel for my PS3. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Get something from Logitech, they are the best.

Logitech G25. $237 at Amazon.

or

Logitech Driving Force GT $139, it has been cheaper If I my memory is correct.

I have a Logitech Driving Force, the previous model to the GT, bought it used in craigslist for $50, and it works really well.

tlwizard 12-01-08 09:50 AM

Just got a $50 PSN card off of ebay for only $38.50. This live search thing is fantastic!

Jamieson22 12-01-08 11:00 AM


Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9102359)
Even receivers can have firmware to be updated these days. I'd look into that being a possibility.

It is almost as if there was a smudge on the disc that was causing the problem. I took the disc out twice and wiped it down and it played the part that was previously dropping out fine. The disc looked perfect though. Just seemed like it was being finicky as the disc played fine other than those 2 instances.

Another oddity was I was playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and it said there was an update for the game. Every time I tried to download it, I got an error. Googled it and someone said to turn off Media Server in the Network settings. Did that and it downloaded fine. Any idea WHY that is?

This PS3 can be frustrating :(

ChrisHicks 12-01-08 11:36 AM


Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 9103553)
Get something from Logitech, they are the best.

Logitech G25. $237 at Amazon.

or

Logitech Driving Force GT $139, it has been cheaper If I my memory is correct.

I have a Logitech Driving Force, the previous model to the GT, bought it used in craigslist for $50, and it works really well.

thanks for the recommendation. That G25 is one really nice looking setup. Might have to do another impulse buy on that.

Raul3 12-01-08 01:20 PM


Originally Posted by ChrisHicks (Post 9103770)
thanks for the recommendation. That G25 is one really nice looking setup. Might have to do another impulse buy on that.

Yeah, everyone recommends the G25 if you are into sim racing games.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.