DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/542277-official-ps3-thread-october-08-edition.html)

Decker 11-26-08 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by C-Mart (Post 9096494)
Got an email today inviting me to join the Beta for Playstation Home... I'm not really sure what that is... is it an interactive community?

It's pretty much exactly like Second Life. Avatars walking around, bumping into each other and saying "Hi". It's not too thrilling so far, but it's better than nothing which is what their previous online expierence basically was.

GatorDeb 11-26-08 04:43 PM

I want to be invited to Home :(

darkside 11-26-08 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 9095388)
Is there a better way to organize the downloads in the PS3? I'd love to separate the demos from the full version of games that I've downloaded. Currently I have to scroll through a few dozen titles to locate the occasional full game.

Yes. XMB is actually very customizable, but not always obvious. I do what Walker Boh recommends. I put all of my Demos in a demo folder, PSN titles in that folder, PSP stuff together etc. Of course I have a bunch of PSN titles now so that folder has a lot of stuff to scroll through. Can't resist the $5 deals.

C-Mart 11-26-08 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by gatordeb (Post 9096560)
i want to be invited to home :(

ygm

Ravenous 11-26-08 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9096527)
It's pretty much exactly like Second Life. Avatars walking around, bumping into each other and saying "Hi". It's not too thrilling so far, but it's better than nothing which is what their previous online expierence basically was.

Wish I woulda read this before wasting my time dling it. I thought it was something cool, not a prettier 'Mii' I could give a rats ass about avatars walking around. I dont even know what Second life is...

The positive thing was I saw they added Dead Space Demo!! Sweet! Been wanting to try this game.

Decker 11-26-08 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous (Post 9096935)
I dont even know what Second life is...

Well, it seems like a total waste of time to me, but my sister is an "expert" on it, is writing some sort of a book about it and actually testified before Congress regarding it. John Stewart made fun of her on The Daily Show as a result.

Liver&Onions 11-26-08 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9096975)
Well, it seems like a total waste of time to me, but my sister is an "expert" on it, is writing some sort of a book about it and actually testified before Congress regarding it. John Stewart made fun of her on The Daily Show as a result.

<embed FlashVars="videoId=165604" src='http://www.thedailyshow.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

Your sister is GlitteracticaCookie?

Quake1028 11-27-08 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 9096622)
Yes. XMB is actually very customizable, but not always obvious. I do what Walker Boh recommends. I put all of my Demos in a demo folder, PSN titles in that folder, PSP stuff together etc. Of course I have a bunch of PSN titles now so that folder has a lot of stuff to scroll through. Can't resist the $5 deals.

This is exactly what I want to do. Thanks to both of you for the info!

Decker 11-27-08 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 9096982)
Your sister is GlitteracticaCookie?

Yup. Does that make me cyberfamous by association?

And how the hell did you find that link? I'm impressed.

GatorDeb 11-27-08 03:09 AM

Not too impressed with Home. They need an air hockey table. And what's up with having to wait around while a bowling game opens :mad: ... btw is dkrgambit a member here? They seemed to know me or maybe they were just overly friendly :D

mhg83 11-27-08 06:23 AM

Got my invite last night and now downloading. Surprised at how fast its downloading.

So will this replace the xmb crossbar? I really dont want to walk around a virtual place just to launch my game.

Drexl 11-27-08 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 9097256)
Got my invite last night and now downloading. Surprised at how fast its downloading.

So will this replace the xmb crossbar? I really dont want to walk around a virtual place just to launch my game.

No, it won't replace that. It goes under an icon in the XMB.

It looks like there will be a way to launch a game from within it, but it's not implemented yet.

mattysemo247 11-27-08 08:37 AM

Radioshack has the Dualshock3 for $30 online with free shipping

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...Qww6fIxjUAd4jQ

mrglass 11-27-08 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 9097352)

:thumbsup: Thanks, I've been meaning to pick up a second controller for a while now and the fact it's a Dualshock is even better!

Michael Corvin 11-27-08 11:02 AM

I've had the japanese DS3 since it came out but I've all but abandoned it for the Sixaxis. The motion is far more responsive for games that require it, like Eden. Plus I've grown to love the weight of it.

Liver&Onions 11-27-08 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9097151)

Wasn't that impressive - it was the first hit when I searched for "john stewart second life"

shumway 11-27-08 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 9097352)

Out of Stock now.

Arthur Dent 11-27-08 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9097265)
No, it won't replace that. It goes under an icon in the XMB.

It looks like there will be a way to launch a game from within it, but it's not implemented yet.

Well, it apparently WAS implemented, and then pulled from Version 1.00. They said it would return soon, however.

darkside 11-27-08 11:28 PM

I was tempted to grab a DS3, but honestly don't care that much about rumble. I have it on the 360 and it doesn't add much of anything to games. I'd rather save the $30 for games.

dsa_shea 11-28-08 10:25 PM

The one thing I wish they would add is the ability to put your photos in files that you create and not by month, etc. I wish that I could copy a file of photos from my memory card to my PS3 and them stay in that same file with name, etc. I hate how it dumps all of my photos taken during particular months into one big file for that month.

Ravenous 11-29-08 02:57 PM

I got the DS3 from RS cause I needed a second player controller. Glad I got it when I did as many missed out or had their orders canceled!

Ravenous 11-29-08 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9097151)

Holy shit! Thats pretty cool. Did it make her 'first life' more fun :lol: Oh and she didnt look too bad either ;)

Canis Firebrand 11-29-08 06:09 PM

I'm still waiting for my invite email, but I assume since they went out yesterday and I haven't gotten one, I'm SOL again.

Brewc 11-29-08 07:06 PM

how do you get an invite anyway? I've been a mbr of PS underground for years and get demos, but not this.

Canis Firebrand 11-29-08 07:09 PM

There have been various signups. the last one was you had to download a home theme on your ps3 and it entered you into the drawing.