Reload this Page >

Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Old 06-01-09, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

buckee, Dark Corners is an additional campaign segment. It also comes with a bunch of new maps.

I was only interested in a retail release, so this kinda blows.
Old 06-01-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Michael. I'll be getting this on release. I bought the previous maps in hopes of a campaign but as I don't play MP, it's something of a waste.
Old 06-01-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Well I know the game still has life in it but a lot still didn't get the latest map pack the last go around. Now another one is coming and one has to wonder how many will grab this one. I'm sure the die-hard GOW ones will but hooking up online may become an issue.

i'm getting this, but i'm awful at gears but i still want this
Old 06-01-09, 03:06 PM
Banned

I'm ready to do some Horde if anyone is down for it this week.
Old 06-01-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
i'm getting this, but i'm awful at gears but i still want this

How the heck can you say that when you did pretty good at Halo as I recall.

And Fushion (Marc) I guess it's time to grab Justin, Kenshiro and one more for another 50 run. I'm only 330 away from the 1999 mark.
Old 06-01-09, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by K&AJones
How the heck can you say that when you did pretty good at Halo as I recall.

And Fushion (Marc) I guess it's time to grab Justin, Kenshiro and one more for another 50 run. I'm only 330 away from the 1999 mark.
Yeah I am ready for some Horde. I just finished up Infamous, so I should be back on 360 now.
Old 07-22-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh God! I got SO hard reading this...
From Kotaku:
We've come into possession of a draft screenplay for the Gears of War movie. If you'd like to remain spoiler-free, move right along. If, however, you'd like to see what we think of it, read on!

While the movie will be based on a script by Chris Morgan, it appears that Stuart Beattie - who worked on the Pirates films, as well as the in-limbo Halo flick - penned a draft as well.

The draft is an entertaining romp, part homage to the game, part homage to high-fiving, badass 80's action movies. If you were worried a Gears movie wouldn't be true to the games, or the spirit of the games, you can stop worrying about the writer. Sure, directors, actors and producers may mess with things along the way, but going by this draft, Beattie's heart seems to be in the right place.

There's not much chit-chat. Don't expect long-winded conversations about the savagery of war, observations of the frailty of human society or concerns over the destruction of a planet; the Gears movie (so far, at least) is a place for stupid one-liners and ultra-violence.

There are scenes where Marcus and Dom eviscerate entire squads with their chainsaws. Marcus' first Locust kill is via a vicious curb-stomp. He also manages to blow four Locust's heads off in succession with a longshot, we witness extreme acts of torture and bloodshed on an epic scale, as a Locust horde mows down a crowd of women and children.

SPOILERS

The story serves as a prequel to the events of the first game. I'm not up to speed on the expanded fiction of Gears, so have no idea how closely this matches with the books and comics, but the film begins with a massive fight sequence, which depicts the final battle of the Pendulum Wars.

Following this, the victorious COGs return home, and we're left with some non-fighting scenes (there aren't many) between Dom & Maria, their kids, "Uncle Marcus", Marcus' estranged father Adam, and some booze.

Soon enough, though, the Locusts emerge, and having killed Dom's kids set about killing everybody else. Marcus, Dom & Maria manage to escape and regroup with the rest of the survivors, and we're then treated to another massive fight sequence, as the COGs take the fight back to the Locust.

This goes pear-shaped, though, and soon everybody has to fall back to Jacinto, the last remaining human stronghold, as Adam Fenix unleashes the Hammer of Dawn upon not only the advancing Locust, but any humans unable to make it into the city in time.

It works, to a fashion, but needs to be shrunk down and made portable to be effective. So Adam, Marcus & Dom lead a team of COGs down underground, into "The Hollow" (the Locust's turf), to capture some crystals that Adam needs to create a handheld Hammer of Dawn.

Of course, this too goes pear-shaped, and they run into a series of big fights, first against a Beserker, then a Corpser. During all this, Adam Fenix is captured by the Locust (led by General Raam and Lt. Thawn), beaten, and sent before the Queen. Unable to rescue him, the surviving COGs return to the surface...

...just in time for the final Locust assault on Jacinto. Think Minis Tirith in Return of the King. A walled city, ringed by defenders, battling furiously against a horde of attacking monsters.

Meanwhile, Adam Fenix is dragged topside by Lt. Thawn, and taken to his mansion, where he must retrieve the prototype Hammer of Dawn and give it to the Locust. Adam contacts Marcus, who abandons his post at the massive city battle (which isn't going well for humanity) to go save his father.

When he arrives, he fights first a Reaper, then Lt. Thawn. Just as Thawn is about to kill Marcus, Adam gets the portable Hammer of Dawn working, and blasts him with it. Thawn somehow survives this, and kills Adam, but weakened by the blast Marcus sticks him in the head with a torque bow arrow and his head just explodes.

With the portable Hammer of Dawn now working, the humans are able to drive the Locust back, and save the city. Cue the celebrations. For his part in abandoning his post, however, Marcus is sentenced to 40 years prison.

Credits roll.

Then, after the credits, you get a treat for sticking around: a word-for-word, scene-for-scene recreation of the intro to Gears 1, as Dom busts Marcus out of prison.

Look, this is a draft of the screenplay they didn't make the cut. Who knows what the actual screenplay will look like. But going by just this screenplay, it looks like a blast, as it's doing everything people enjoy about Gears - over-the-top war buddy antics, throwaway one-liners and copious amounts of red stuff - while doing little to mess with that simple formula.

Aside from our impressions, here's a few other things you may like to know:

- Marcus & Anya (the female narrator from the games) get it on
- Maria goes missing at the end, setting us up for her and Dom's "reunion"
- Adam Fenix first discovers the Locust when he sends six robots down into "The Hollow". These are all named after Gears developers: Mike, Rod, Anne, Kim, Lee & Cliff.
- Cole and Baird feature, but only shortly at the beginning, and only as COGs for the final fight sequence at Jacinto.
- The screenplay is full of hat-tips to the games. Example: in the opening battle, Marcus roadie-runs for the camera, as well as using a meat shield.
Old 07-22-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh God! I got SO hard reading this...
From Kotaku:
We've come into possession of a draft screenplay for the Gears of War movie. If you'd like to remain spoiler-free, move right along. If, however, you'd like to see what we think of it, read on!

While the movie will be based on a script by Chris Morgan, it appears that Stuart Beattie - who worked on the Pirates films, as well as the in-limbo Halo flick - penned a draft as well.

The draft is an entertaining romp, part homage to the game, part homage to high-fiving, badass 80's action movies. If you were worried a Gears movie wouldn't be true to the games, or the spirit of the games, you can stop worrying about the writer. Sure, directors, actors and producers may mess with things along the way, but going by this draft, Beattie's heart seems to be in the right place.

There's not much chit-chat. Don't expect long-winded conversations about the savagery of war, observations of the frailty of human society or concerns over the destruction of a planet; the Gears movie (so far, at least) is a place for stupid one-liners and ultra-violence.

There are scenes where Marcus and Dom eviscerate entire squads with their chainsaws. Marcus' first Locust kill is via a vicious curb-stomp. He also manages to blow four Locust's heads off in succession with a longshot, we witness extreme acts of torture and bloodshed on an epic scale, as a Locust horde mows down a crowd of women and children.

SPOILERS

The story serves as a prequel to the events of the first game. I'm not up to speed on the expanded fiction of Gears, so have no idea how closely this matches with the books and comics, but the film begins with a massive fight sequence, which depicts the final battle of the Pendulum Wars.

Following this, the victorious COGs return home, and we're left with some non-fighting scenes (there aren't many) between Dom & Maria, their kids, "Uncle Marcus", Marcus' estranged father Adam, and some booze.

Soon enough, though, the Locusts emerge, and having killed Dom's kids set about killing everybody else. Marcus, Dom & Maria manage to escape and regroup with the rest of the survivors, and we're then treated to another massive fight sequence, as the COGs take the fight back to the Locust.

This goes pear-shaped, though, and soon everybody has to fall back to Jacinto, the last remaining human stronghold, as Adam Fenix unleashes the Hammer of Dawn upon not only the advancing Locust, but any humans unable to make it into the city in time.

It works, to a fashion, but needs to be shrunk down and made portable to be effective. So Adam, Marcus & Dom lead a team of COGs down underground, into "The Hollow" (the Locust's turf), to capture some crystals that Adam needs to create a handheld Hammer of Dawn.

Of course, this too goes pear-shaped, and they run into a series of big fights, first against a Beserker, then a Corpser. During all this, Adam Fenix is captured by the Locust (led by General Raam and Lt. Thawn), beaten, and sent before the Queen. Unable to rescue him, the surviving COGs return to the surface...

...just in time for the final Locust assault on Jacinto. Think Minis Tirith in Return of the King. A walled city, ringed by defenders, battling furiously against a horde of attacking monsters.

Meanwhile, Adam Fenix is dragged topside by Lt. Thawn, and taken to his mansion, where he must retrieve the prototype Hammer of Dawn and give it to the Locust. Adam contacts Marcus, who abandons his post at the massive city battle (which isn't going well for humanity) to go save his father.

When he arrives, he fights first a Reaper, then Lt. Thawn. Just as Thawn is about to kill Marcus, Adam gets the portable Hammer of Dawn working, and blasts him with it. Thawn somehow survives this, and kills Adam, but weakened by the blast Marcus sticks him in the head with a torque bow arrow and his head just explodes.

With the portable Hammer of Dawn now working, the humans are able to drive the Locust back, and save the city. Cue the celebrations. For his part in abandoning his post, however, Marcus is sentenced to 40 years prison.

Credits roll.

Then, after the credits, you get a treat for sticking around: a word-for-word, scene-for-scene recreation of the intro to Gears 1, as Dom busts Marcus out of prison.

Look, this is a draft of the screenplay they didn't make the cut. Who knows what the actual screenplay will look like. But going by just this screenplay, it looks like a blast, as it's doing everything people enjoy about Gears - over-the-top war buddy antics, throwaway one-liners and copious amounts of red stuff - while doing little to mess with that simple formula.

Aside from our impressions, here's a few other things you may like to know:

- Marcus & Anya (the female narrator from the games) get it on
- Maria goes missing at the end, setting us up for her and Dom's "reunion"
- Adam Fenix first discovers the Locust when he sends six robots down into "The Hollow". These are all named after Gears developers: Mike, Rod, Anne, Kim, Lee & Cliff.
- Cole and Baird feature, but only shortly at the beginning, and only as COGs for the final fight sequence at Jacinto.
- The screenplay is full of hat-tips to the games. Example: in the opening battle, Marcus roadie-runs for the camera, as well as using a meat shield.
Old 07-22-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

note to self...don't play gears of war with Raul... :-D
Old 07-22-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dark Corners: Hands on Impression - Teamxbox

A small decent write-up with some trailers of both modes plus one from Cliffy B. For July 26th.

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-36...s-of-War-2/p1/
Old 07-28-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a reminder...Dark Corners Map Pack is out...1200 points

DL while I type....
Old 07-31-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a question:

I played through the whole game on co-op with random players... however I didn't get the achievement it shows I am not 100% complete... I guess there were spots in the game where someone would drop out and then others would come in.

How do I find out what scenes I need to go back and finish in co op to get the achievement?
Old 07-31-09, 03:36 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Raul3, do you stutter when you get hard, or does your enthusiasm for Gears of War require two posts per thought?
Old 08-26-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GOTY edition of Gears 2 coming out on Sept 1st for $39.99

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=75730

Looks like it has all of the downloadable content on there too. That is a killer price if it's true.
Old 08-26-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They probably need to do this to curb the rate of abandonment for multiplayer. Since they refuse to fix the real problems the game has it seems better to reduce the price and just keep adding bullshit.
Old 06-19-10, 12:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

i just put this in for a bit the other day and couldn't get into it. i was doing a very early level "Rolling Thunder" i think and i am on a big rig with another running next too overtaken by Locusts and i have to eliminate it before we get to the single lane bridge.

just kept dying, i think i know what to do know (shoot out the driver window and driver), but got frustrating real quick and don't think i have a desire to go back.

the previous training level was fun, but with the two other Gears next to me, didn't know really what i was killing or what they were. the game looks and sounds beautiful, but chaotic and kills from a distance and couldn't really focus attention on killing one at a time.

is most of the game like this?
Old 06-19-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
i just put this in for a bit the other day and couldn't get into it. i was doing a very early level "Rolling Thunder" i think and i am on a big rig with another running next too overtaken by Locusts and i have to eliminate it before we get to the single lane bridge.

just kept dying, i think i know what to do know (shoot out the driver window and driver), but got frustrating real quick and don't think i have a desire to go back.

the previous training level was fun, but with the two other Gears next to me, didn't know really what i was killing or what they were. the game looks and sounds beautiful, but chaotic and kills from a distance and couldn't really focus attention on killing one at a time.

Yes.

Have you tried any of the Call of Duty games?
Old 06-19-10, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3
Yes.

Have you tried any of the Call of Duty games?
i have both MW's, but not yet.
Old 06-19-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, they are more chaotic. Specially MW2.
Old 06-19-10, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3
Oh, they are more chaotic. Specially MW2.
but, they are FPS and at least i can aim and see what i am shooting at even if the action around me gets chaotic. i think i just like the solo aspect of shooting, like in the Halo's and Borderlands.
Old 06-19-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598

You should try the first GoW - I think that'll ease you into it's style of gameplay better than the sequel will, and it's a better game too.
Old 06-19-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Wow, for some reason GOW2 was on my mind this weekend and now I feel like playing.
Old 06-19-10, 02:25 PM

I started playing yesterday on Hardcore - I'm at Landown now. I just realized there's no COG tags to collect like in the first one. Do you have to collect the newspapers instead to get the Achievments?
Old 06-20-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wow, for some reason GOW2 was on my mind this weekend and now I feel like playing.
I'm gonna play both of them early next year and get the achievements that I'm missing to prepare for "3"!
Old 08-06-11, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Major thread bump, but I finally got around to playing this series after having both games in my unplayed pile for...a while. Finished several playthroughs of the first game this past week, including Insane difficulty. Now I've played through the campaign of GOW2 on Casual, and I need to do it again on higher difficulties and co-op. Anyone interested? Possibly as a pre-GOW3 refresher course?

I have to say that I enjoyed the first game a lot more than the sequel, which suffered from the usual concept fallacy of "more is always better." It was epic for sure, but I preferred the environments of the first game and its relatively smaller scale. There were far too many vehicle missions in this one (I include the beasts as vehicles), and something about the art style seems to have changed. I'm not an expert on graphics or game engines so my terminology may be completely incorrect, but this one had a much more cel-shaded/comic-book look to it, and I preferred the slicker graphics of the original.

Haven't touched the multiplayer of either game yet, but I'll try it eventually. I did get a nice reminder that waiting always pays when it comes to videogames by snagging the All Fronts pack that includes all DLC for 400 MS points last week. It's also nice to be able to take a hype-free view of games that have been out for a while.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.