Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Where do you start with XBL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you start with XBL?

I think I've posted questions along these lines before, but it was awhile ago and I couldn't find the thread. I realize I'm three years late, but how do you "start" playing XBL? For instance, if I want to play Gears online to prepare for the new title, how do I learn to play the online game without getting destroyed by 13-year-olds who play six hours a day every time I move? Is there a way to find other people who are equally clueless when you're just starting out on a game? I should be getting my adapter and my Live subscription card in the next couple of days, so I'm trying to figure out where to begin.
Old 10-14-08, 08:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Put a bunch of us (or other people you know) on your friends list and play with us online.
Old 10-14-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts
if you can add DVD Talk Gamers to your friends, you can add all that gamertag's "friends", saving you a ton of typing.
Old 10-14-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
if you can add DVD Talk Gamers to your friends, you can add all that gamertag's "friends", saving you a ton of typing.
So by doing that, I'll have a huge list of people who have joined from this site, right?
I hope so, because in a perfect world, I'd love to keep my online gaming restricted to people who won't be yelling obnoxious slurs the whole time we play. The reason I've stayed away from XBL this long is because I want to avoid that.
Old 10-14-08, 09:59 PM

Yeah, you can pick any friend and now check to see that friend's friend list and send invites to any or all. I just don't know who mans that particular gamertag; you need to have a friend accept before you see their friend list.
Old 10-19-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been on XBL all weekend and have been having fun with Tiger Woods, but a quick question. I was just playing a round (4-person simultaneous stroke play) and after the fourth hole, all of a sudden it said "Connection Lost" and went to the start screen. Does that mean that my connection was lost, or could it mean that someone else dropped out? Would it start completely over if just one person pulled out? One guy was losing badly early on, so I was thinking he may have broken the link.
Old 10-19-08, 09:55 PM

If it's the host who pulls the plug, that would do it.
Old 10-19-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Put a bunch of us (or other people you know) on your friends list and play with us online.
..and STILL get your ass handed to you AND made fun on dvdtalk.

But at least most of them won't be 13 yo's.

But seriously, the people here on dvdtalk will be way more fun than playing random stranger douchebags on LIVE.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-20-08 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-20-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But seriously, the people here on dvdtalk will be way more fun than playing random stranger douchebags on LIVE.
I'll definitely try to add dvd talk people in the days ahead. It'll be good to play people who don't have "xxx"or "69" in their gamertags. I haven't even messed with friends lists etc. so far. I just joined random games and created a few here and there. I can't believe how addictive XBL was this weekend, and Tiger 09 was the only thing I played. (My gamertag is trailclimber, by the way.)