Reload this Page >

Build quality of the controllers?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-02-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

What is the concensus on the build quality of the controllers this generation? I bring this up because of my experiences with the 360 controller. I love the design, but I feel it is lacking in quality of construction. I know a lot of people here have complained about the D-pad, which I do think is terrible and unresponsive, but I'm also referring to the buttons themselves. I don't know if I press buttons too hard, but I have noticed that sometimes I will press the button, and it will not register. It's not frequent enough for me to think it's broken, but it does happen enough to be frustrating in crucial game moments.

The Wii controllers felt fragile to me when I first got them, but after my girlfriend's little sister let one go flying during bowling into two walls, and it worked like nothing had happened, I knew they were solid. The buttons always feel perfectly responsive. Obviously design wise they are not for everyone, but at least they feel solidly built.

I have no experience with the PS3 controller. Just going from the PS2 and PS1 I thought they held up pretty well to abuse. I thought the joysticks were cheap and loose, but they always worked. The buttons always worked great and were very responsive.

So what's the concensus here? Anyone experience the same 360 problems? I am using first party controllers.
Old 10-03-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
360:

I like the 360 controller. The size and feel is right and I generally like the sticks. However, since I was NEVER a fan a d-pads, I don't worry to much about how it reacts; and even in games where using it for movement is an option I always opt for the sticks. I also like the use of the Trigger style because in shooting games it feels very natural. I know that like the op, I have had times when I could swear the trigger/buttons didn't respond to my actions. That said, I would LOVE for MS to add some sort of controller calibration option at some point to check the controllers either on their dashboard, or in games.

I've dropped my 360 controller many times but it still seems to work. Although, as I type this I'm starting to wonder if the above button issues I mention could be related....Hmmmm.

Anyway, this isn't really a controller issue but I have also had issues with the Plug and Play battery kit for the 360 controller specifically the battery and its ability to keep a charge. I end up playing with the USB cord plugged into the 360 since I can't find my AA battery adapter that came with the 360 but it's no big deal.

Finally, I also LOVE the way the Messenger pad adds size and weight to the controller. It actually feels like a Dreamcast controller with the unit attached. It also makes any kind of typing easy and lights up nicely.

Wii:

It's a decent sturdy controller and should be, considering the potential for damage they pose. What can I say? They're different and shockingly responsive. I do think I would put some of the buttons in better places like on the side of the unit so the thumb and index finger can more easily access them, but that's just a personal thing I thought of while becoming annoyed with Metroid on the Wii.

PS3:

Hate 'em. I mean I would use them If I had to, but my dislike for Sony's controllers go way back to PS1. I might like them a bit more if they had actual Triggers like the 360 controller instead of flat shoulder buttons but I'd still have issues with them. Yeah yeah, I guess thanks for bringing us the Analog sticks early on; but your controller still sucks(to me), and is one of the reasons I've dragged my ass as far as buying a PS3.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-03-08 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-03-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS3 controllers: My 20GB PS3's in-the-box controller is flaky and occasionally disconnects for a few seconds...basically repeating whatever button or direction for a couple of seconds. An uncommon problem with launch controllers...newer ones seem to have licked the problem.

Wii controllers - as usual, Nintendo controllers continue to work well despite abuse and a couple of impacts with things and people.

360 controllers - I have one controller that the left analog has gotten a bit flaky...once in a while I press left and it keeps moving left until I touch it again. Not too much of an issue for shooters but annoying for menus and stuff.

My other 360 controller the A button is a bit sticky/worn out. But I hit it constantly when playing Gears, probably my most commonly pressed button...so maybe I just wore it out.
Old 10-03-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
One of my 360's D-pads is nearly completely unresponsive. Otherwise, I've had no problems.

My sixaxis and Dual Shock 3 for the PS3 both work perfectly.

Last edited by Decker; 10-03-08 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I have had that joystick problem on my 360. When playing Madden after a play is over the menu will scroll as if I'm holding down the right joystick when I haven't touched it.
Old 10-05-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take my 360 controllers apart every 6 months or so and clean out the gunk from around the buttons, works like a charm. As a matter of fact, it's time to do it again because they feel a little stiff. My 6 & 8 year olds play every day, and Cheetos residue doesn't fair well with the controller for some reason. We actually have 5 controllers, my wife & 8 year old have their own, and I have two Halo greens & a white. I think I'm buying myself a new one for Xmas. I do love the 360 controller, the size and weight are perfect.

As for the Wii (I am a Wii-hater): the controller has a good weight to it, and it does seem durable, but I think it, like the N64 & Gamecube, is awkward. For some games it feels OK, but when you have to hold it sideways/backwards/like a throwing dart/etc..., it's weird (ala WarioWare).

PS3: I hate the shoulder buttons, size, and weight of it. It's a shame because they're so close to being good...add some weight, add triggers & make it a bit bigger and voila'!! I still wouldn't play games on my PS3, but it would be a nice controller, lol.