Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Facebreaker

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Facebreaker

Got this game in to review and fired it up last night and played for a couple hours. I HATED the demo, just couldn't get a shot in. But after playing it last night, I think I found the beauty of the game. it's not a boxing sim like Fight Night (sadly) - but it's a very quick paced game of paper rock scissors. When you get in the groove of dodging and parrying blows, you can get some sweet combos in.

While not an amazing game by any means - it's enjoyable.

Plus, it's neat/creepy to see my face with my cheesy Molestache that I grew last fall getting his ass kicked.

Anyone else take the plunge on this one? What are your thoughts?
Old 09-16-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually liked the demo, but I'll need to buy the cam for this game. I don't want to play it if I can't put my face in a player.
Old 09-16-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
I actually liked the demo, but I'll need to buy the cam for this game. I don't want to play it if I can't put my face in a player.
All you need is a picture of you - you can upload them to the EA website, then DL it to the game. I used the same creepy ass photo for Tiger Woods 09 and this one.
Old 09-16-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, that's good to know. I'll try that with the demo to see if it works.

Is this game part of EA Big, or that part of EA that made sports games with a different approach? I used to love most of them.
Old 09-16-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EA Freestyle
Old 09-16-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a game I'll pick up when it hits clearance at Target or something. I was always a fan of the Punch-out style arcade boxing games, and it's a shame Ready2Rumble never made the leap to the current gen.

For the life of me, I can't understand why Nintendo has ignored Punch-Out for 3 console gens now...save for the inclusion of Super Punch Out on the Fight Night Gamecube disc.
Old 09-17-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ok now it's annoying the piss out of me. I beat one guy in 31 seconds using a facebreaker (which should have given me an achievement for beating someone in under a minute, but it didn't) Then I proceeded to spend the next 1.5 HOURS getting tromped by the very next character. No matter what I did, I couldn't get anything done. Dodges, parrys, dashes, it all was countered by her. Fucking brutal. Not to mention, you get 3 rematches on a particular opponent, then have to start that belt climb over again.

A game shouldn't be this frustrating. even Ninja Gaiden had moments of breakthrough after a period of pain - this looks the opposite.
Old 09-17-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
ok now it's annoying the piss out of me. I beat one guy in 31 seconds using a facebreaker (which should have given me an achievement for beating someone in under a minute, but it didn't) Then I proceeded to spend the next 1.5 HOURS getting tromped by the very next character. No matter what I did, I couldn't get anything done. Dodges, parrys, dashes, it all was countered by her. Fucking brutal. Not to mention, you get 3 rematches on a particular opponent, then have to start that belt climb over again.

A game shouldn't be this frustrating. even Ninja Gaiden had moments of breakthrough after a period of pain - this looks the opposite.
Yeah, the review from EGM mentioned something similar, that even on the easiest difficulties you reach guys that seem impossible to beat.
Old 09-17-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the demo was pretty awful.
Old 09-17-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I played the demo at Best Buy last night against my four year old daughter. She was kicking ass. There was a few people watching because it was so funny. I even gave up the controller to someone else for her to fight. She knocked him out and his wife was cracking up.

Point being, the gameplay seemed very broken if she (who has about 10 minutes worth of experience with an analog stick) was able to knock out two grown people who have played games for years using a single button. Button mashing FTW!
Old 09-17-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I played the demo at Best Buy last night against my four year old daughter. She was kicking ass. There was a few people watching because it was so funny. I even gave up the controller to someone else for her to fight. She knocked him out and his wife was cracking up.

Point being, the gameplay seemed very broken if she (who has about 10 minutes worth of experience with an analog stick) was able to knock out two grown people who have played games for years using a single button. Button mashing FTW!
It's a masher alright, no doubt about that at all.
Old 09-17-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
It had been a long long time since I've played anything as utterly frustrating as this game. This is the exact wall that I ran into. No balance whatsoever, and this was all on the EASIEST difficulty setting. Unbelievable irritating. I seriously wanted to break someone's face, so I guess if that's what they were going for......mission accomplished.