You Don't Know Jack YDKJ to Return?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-16-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.destructoid.com/-big-news...--103797.phtml

In a world where Jeopardy is king, the vast majority of people haven’t had the awesome experience of playing Jellyvision’s comedy and trivia mixture, You Don’t Know Jack. The game has been floating around in various forms for over a decade, but most recently has only been playable on the Internet. According to a post on YDKJ’s official website, this may all change very soon:

… hopefully, in the upcoming weeks, you'll hear some real big news about a real big deal we've made with some real bigshots who can help get YOU DON'T KNOW JACK back to where it belongs - in the home of every living man, woman, and child, and most elves ….
At this point there is only room for speculation, but YDKJ absolutely screams Xbox Live Arcade or PlayStation Network release. The games have always been small, had simple controls, and some pretty heavy popular culture appeal. It sounds like a perfect fit to me, especially if Cookie comes back.

What do you guys think? Have you ever had an opportunity to check out YDKJ? Do you think PSN or XBLA is a good application for it?
I look forward to this franchise returning to somewhere where I can use it. I think XBLA's upcoming "Primetime" gaming like 1 vs. 100 would be a perfect fit for this.
Old 09-16-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was set to download the PSN version of Jeopardy until I saw it was multiple choice questions and decided against it. But watching the trailer for it made me crave some YDKJ, and it would work so perfectly on XBLA or PSN...
Old 09-16-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not only would I enjoy seeing a new game but I only hope they maybe remake the previous games and release them at a cheaper price. You Don't Know Jack About Movies was a game I thought I would be soooo good at then they would shoot the most bizarre question out and I would feel like a moron. Oddly enough I would love to have that game again.
Old 09-16-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
This would be fucking awesome.
Old 09-16-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be great on XBLA. Also, check out the official website (http://www.youdontknowjack.com/), they have new single player YDKJ games weekly.
Old 09-16-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
man I haven't played YDKJ in like 10 years, I used to rule the movie version.
Old 09-16-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
It would be great on XBLA. Also, check out the official website (http://www.youdontknowjack.com/), they have new single player YDKJ games weekly.

I loved ydkj growing up. Me and my sister had many fun sessions. Anyone remember the actual tv show that lasted 2 episodes? That was a complete failure. They didnt even stick to any of the games rules and types of questions.

I still have the game discs. Will it even work on Vista? I've heard old games cant run on Vista.
Old 09-16-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
I loved ydkj growing up. Me and my sister had many fun sessions. Anyone remember the actual tv show that lasted 2 episodes? That was a complete failure. They didnt even stick to any of the games rules and types of questions.

I still have the game discs. Will it even work on Vista? I've heard old games cant run on Vista.
Check out www.ntcompatible.com I believe, if you wanna see about compatibility. I'm pretty sure the copies they sell now on their website are Vista compatible.
Old 09-16-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Yes yes yes.

I remember the TV show..."Someone on this stage will drive away with a NEW CAR!"
Spoiler:
the host. Paul Reubens. Waving gleefully.

Trivia, humor, smartass host, fun question types. I think the YDKJ series is probably my favorite trivia game series, and I can think of very little negative to say about them...except there haven't been more recently
Old 09-17-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X5PPJVAb3x8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X5PPJVAb3x8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-17-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chuckd21
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X5PPJVAb3x8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X5PPJVAb3x8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
How can this get canceled and yet the deathly boring Who Wants to be a Millionaire is still on the air?
Old 09-17-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Are the Buzz! games any good? They come with a set of buzzer controllers. There's one coming out for PS3 next week.

Now that online is commonplace, these games could take off. Obviously the game loses its luster after you've gone through all the questions, but if they could offer download packs with new questions every couple of months, the game could last a lot longer. Hopefully they'll do that for YDKJ.
Old 09-24-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: You Don't Know Jack YDKJ to Return?

You Don't Know Jack coming back on 360, PS3, Wii

ESRB rating points to return of smart-aleck virtual quiz show on all three major consoles.

Gamers with fond memories of the 1990s will likely recall You Don't Know Jack, the trivia series published by Berkeley Systems. The quiz game was popular for its host's irreverent comments and insulting answers, so much so that it spawned a short-lived television series in 2001 hosted by Paul Ruebens (aka Pee-Wee Hermann).

You Don't Know Jack looks set for a comeback on the PS3, 360, and Wii.

Though You Don't Know Jack hasn't been seen in-game form since 2003, its return was revealed during the Electronic Entertainment Expo on the podcast of gaming blog Giant Bomb. In the podcast, actor Tim Gottlieb, who voices the game's smart-alecky host Cookie, said THQ would be publishing a new entry into the series.

Now, the Entertainment Software Ratings Board has posted a listing for a new version of the game, confirming it is coming to the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii. Though the Wii version of You Don't Know Jack will almost certainly be disc based, it is unclear whether the PS3 and 360 editions will be digitally distributed via Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network. As for the game itself, the ESRB rated it T for Teen for "crude humor, drug reference, language, mild blood, and sexual themes."

According to the ESRB's extended content descriptor, the game will feature wisecracks about Tiger Woods' extramarital affairs, ecstasy and opium, and literal buckets of blood. It also features a fictitious television show centered on flatulence.

GameSpot will have more details on the new You Don't Know Jack as they become available.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6278860.html

I remember having so much fun playing this with my old friend from school and my sister. Cant wait to play it again and will look forward to possible new modes.
Old 09-25-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All they need to do is port YDKJ the Ride.. that was the best of all them IMO... Like 4 different announcers and tons if comedy.. Loved when you were having say Cookie doing the announcing and then he gets shot and a new guy takes over.
Old 09-25-10, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw this thread show up in my bumped subscriptions and I didn't remember posting in it. Then I thought it was funny that the title had both the full name and the abbreviation in there. Scrolled from the bottom->up to find my post and realized I was the one that titled it this way.

Tell me, mhg, did you search for 'ydkj' to find it?

Also, all of the sudden I'm re-bummed about the loss of 1v100.
Old 09-25-10, 01:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would LOVE to play this again. But IIRC, if you tried to answer a question too early, they made you type in what you thought the answer was. How would that work on a console?

Edit: Man, I just played some of the episodes on the website. I suck at that game! Haha.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-25-10 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-25-10, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, all of the consoles have "chatpads" (PS3 also supports USB keyboards). But, I don't expect them to support those things. They'll probably just take that out of the game.
Old 09-25-10, 04:18 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The online episodes didn't have that, so yeah, looks like they just took it out.
Old 09-25-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I miss YDKJ, so I welcome this with open arms.

Does anyone remember the online version of YDJK from years ago that was on Bezerk.com? I miss that website, especially their other two multiplayer games: Cosmic Consensus and Get the Picture.
Old 09-25-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

i miss the tv show.
Old 10-28-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...loc=ntltitle24

1/25/2011 for $40 with some sort of Kinect support/requirement. Really bummed this isn't a digital distribution title with questions stored online.
Old 10-28-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...loc=ntltitle24

1/25/2011 for $40 with some sort of Kinect support/requirement. Really bummed this isn't a digital distribution title with questions stored online.
So does that mean you have to use Kinnect in order to play ydkj???
Old 10-28-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dunno. All I know is that it's listed on this page: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/kinect/

Now you know as much as I do

Probably not required since it's also coming out for the Wii.

What's strange is that on the Kinect page, it's listed at $49.99, but if you click on it you go to the link I first posted and it's only $39.99. Weird.
Old 10-28-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kinect? Boo.
Old 10-29-10, 08:04 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait to play this game again. I loved playing it on my computer back in the day. I had all the games, except the sports one. My favorites were The Ride and 5th Dementia.

I wish I could play them still on my Vista or Windows 7 PC.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.