Reload this Page >

What's your Favorite game?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-10-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a PS3 & PS2 & PSP and am looking into getting an Xbox 360 & a Wii console in the very near future. I'm not sure which games have the longest lasting effect and are ones you'd like to play over and over again. Can you suggest any of your favorite titles on these formats (PS3, PS2, XBOX 360, Wii) so that I can have a really good idea on what and what not to spend my pennies on! So far, my faves on the PS3 are Conan, Resistance Fall of Man & Of late, Mercenaries 2.
Old 09-10-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been playing a lot of GTA4 online lately....just so much fun to find and it's not getting old for me right now. Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii is awesome too, I remember just sitting there for 3 hours easily just playing.
Old 09-10-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
I have a PS3 & PS2 & PSP and am looking into getting an Xbox 360 & a Wii console in the very near future. I'm not sure which games have the longest lasting effect and are ones you'd like to play over and over again. Can you suggest any of your favorite titles on these formats (PS3, PS2, XBOX 360, Wii) so that I can have a really good idea on what and what not to spend my pennies on! So far, my faves on the PS3 are Conan, Resistance Fall of Man & Of late, Mercenaries 2.
360:
Assassin's Creed
Bioshock
COD4
Condemned
Crackdown
Mass Effect
Oblivion
Orange Box

Looking forward to these releases on the 360:
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
COD: World at War
Dead Space
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2
James Bond 007: Quantum of Solace
Prince of Persia
Old 09-10-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That I'm currently playing: Tales of Vesperia (360)
That I've played recently: Orange Box, especially Portal
Old 09-10-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've been running through Gears of War again lately in anticipation for Gears 2. Still a lot of fun and still looks fantastic.
Old 09-10-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
COD4 is still my favorite. PS3 that is. I'm almost at my golden sniper rifle as soon as I get the R700 to 150 headshots. I'm at like 40 right now, it won't take long.

I went to Supreme commander on 3 different accounts on 'Resistance Fall Of Man' online, way back when it first came out that was all i played. That game is so amazing, so groundbreaking. and the AI in the campaign mode is sitll some of the best I've ever seen in any game period. PC included.

But the scene online has changed so much on Resistance online. All the good players are on COD4. Last time I logged on I had to beat the other team of 3 by myself on CTF, the two people on my team apparently barely knew how to move around and had no concept on how to win. And the other team was so weak I went in their base, killed all 3 of them, took the flag and returned it by myself, 3 times.

I went through RFOM again on a co-op run through with a buddy on superhuman again recently. Just to prepare for Resistance 2. Which is going to be incredible. I've already seen some of the gameplay both campaign and online. 60 players in an inline game. that will be wild.
Old 09-10-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Ratchet and Clank for ps3 is a really fun game. Its short but i had a very memorable experiance. Theres a lot of stuff to do after finishing such as the skill points and some hiddnen treasures to discover.
Old 09-10-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
COD 4 and Gears of War are the two best.

And of course all the music games.
Old 09-10-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pinball. Any pinball machine is my favorite game. Period. Not pinball on consoles, but loud, clunky, mechanical pinball.
Old 09-10-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Burnout Paradise. I've already put 100 hours into it and I can't wait for the bike pack so I can play more.
Old 09-10-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
My favorite PS2 games, that I'd like to play again, are Growlanser Generations, the Ratchet and Clank games, and FFX-2.
Favorite PS1 game (playable via BC?) is Final Fantasy Tactics, one of only a few games I have fully replayed.
Favorite 360 games: Rock Band, GTA4, Bioshock, Crackdown.
Old 09-10-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
You all fail.

Buckee, this forum is very 360 heavy, so that will probably be the common choice. Each have some great exclusives, both retail and for d/l. For me the 360 has a better selection to choose from though. If you are at all interested in Live it still blows PSN out of the water even after the XMB update. Not to mention the interface and functionality is getting an upgrade soon to distance itself from the red-headed stepchild known as PSN.

The wildcard is of course Blu-Ray, but the recent 360 price drops kinda works in their favor.
Old 09-10-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PS3: Soul Calibur IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Assassin's Creed

PS2: Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy XII, God of War, God of War II, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil 4
Old 09-11-08, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Pinball. Any pinball machine is my favorite game. Period. Not pinball on consoles, but loud, clunky, mechanical pinball.
I knew there was a reason i liked you.

I agree completely. The day they took pins out of the old arcade in the mall was a very sad day for me. I freaking love pinball from the sound the ball makes as it rolls, the feel of the impact on the flippers, to that loud clap sound it makes when you beat a score to win a replay.
Old 09-11-08, 10:23 AM

Miyu, do you own a machine?

I've been looking into one for my home, as my aunt may actually have one that I can have for free, I'd just need to get it serviced. I know there are a few entertainment distributors around the PA/OH/MD/WV lines that have been selling stuff off. I'm pretty sure there are even a few books that are pretty good for basic maintenance...

As for my fave game...currently I have to go with CoD4, even though it's been about 2 months since it's been in my machine. It's just solid across all areas. Close runners up, Halo2 was god for a while, NHL 2k3, the Soul Calibur and SF Alpha series...

All time though - gotta go with Tetris. despite my love for several fighting and sports franchises (most notably, NHL 94!), Tetris just seems to always be there. I've probably logged the most hours of my life on NHL 94 or beating FFIII on the SNES several times.

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 09-11-08 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-11-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I wish I could find one of these on the cheap:

Old 09-11-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Miyu, do you own a machine?

I've been looking into one for my home, as my aunt may actually have one that I can have for free, I'd just need to get it serviced. I know there are a few entertainment distributors around the PA/OH/MD/WV lines that have been selling stuff off. I'm pretty sure there are even a few books that are pretty good for basic maintenance...
I don't. When I have seen them for sale in my area they have still been $1000+
and i just can't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on one. It does make me sad though.

I have never made it to one of those big touring/game auction things. I have been told they are a good place to find something like this.
Old 09-11-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I knew there was a reason i liked you.

I agree completely. The day they took pins out of the old arcade in the mall was a very sad day for me. I freaking love pinball from the sound the ball makes as it rolls, the feel of the impact on the flippers, to that loud clap sound it makes when you beat a score to win a replay.
Another agree-er here!

Its sad that there is a whole generation of kids that are clueless about pinball or what it once was.
Old 09-11-08, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I don't. When I have seen them for sale in my area they have still been $1000+
and i just can't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on one. It does make me sad though.

I have never made it to one of those big touring/game auction things. I have been told they are a good place to find something like this.
I see some regularly around Pittsburgh for $3-400. I think that's about as high as I'd be willing to go. There is a place that I pass on my way to work each morning that always has stuff for sale...I almost picked up an original Killer Instinct Machine from them about 4 years ago for $600...