Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NBA Live 2009 vs NBA 2k9 vs NBA '09 The Inside

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NBA Live 2009 vs NBA 2k9 vs NBA '09 The Inside

Old 10-17-08, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marv albert with Stever Kerr. I thought they were going back to Mike Fratello as Albert's partner since Kerr in the Suns GM.
Old 10-20-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts
I've read a few reviews for 2K (which I already bought, it was more out of curiosity), and one complaint seems to be the presentation: I thought the presentation is great (especially all the highlight replays, for each player after the game). Is Live really that much better in terms of presenting stats and things?
Old 10-21-08, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I have only being playing on Pro Level, but I find that the computer has been keeping the game competitive every time.

Very minor complaint. Why did 2K9 hire Clark Kellogg as the color analyst? Kellogg has never been associated with the NBA from what I can tell. He's only a NCAA studio analyst for CBS. Since Kevin Harlan does the play by play, they should have gotten Doug Collins, who is his regular partner on TNT.
Yeah at the Pro level, you really need to know your moves and most importantly I would suggest you gotta know how to change up your moves and strategy. The CPU is supposed to read and learn your moves so changing it up will keep it fresh. I'm still learning some signature moves and the tutorial mode really helps. I'm continually impressed with the game and it never gets too frustrating.

They switched up the announcers from 2k8, I don't mind the changes and think they're just as good. Cheryl Miller does a good job as sideline reporter.

Originally Posted by fujishig
I've read a few reviews for 2K (which I already bought, it was more out of curiosity), and one complaint seems to be the presentation: I thought the presentation is great (especially all the highlight replays, for each player after the game). Is Live really that much better in terms of presenting stats and things?
From the demo that I played of Live, I didn't notice a difference that much in presentation. I feel that 2k9 did improve in presentation from 2k8 but from Live 09? I don't see it either.
Old 10-21-08, 10:34 AM

Nba2k9 - I was playing on Pro as the Lakers against Orlando last night and man, they were popping 3's left and right even when the D was right up on them. Also, if left open slightly the jumpers went down. I may have to try adjusting the sliders and seeing if that makes a difference.

Last edited by ugabuga; 10-21-08 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-21-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ugabuga
Nba2k9 - I was playing on Pro as the Lakers against Orlando last night and man, they were popping 3's left and right even when the D was right up on them. Also, if left open slightly the jumpers went down. I may have to try adjusting the sliders and seeing if that makes a difference.
That happens to me too, and I'm on default sliders. I attribute it to my crappy defense, because I'm sure in real life most of these guys can hit open jumpers.
Old 10-21-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, no. The Magic can drain 3's on you all-night if you're not careful.
Old 10-21-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
The Magic are scary as hell in this game. I was using them last night to get the Dwight Howard acheivement (12 minute quarters on Pro vs. the Kings) and I ended up with like 190 points. Nelson had about 35 dimes, and Superman was a monster: 68 points, 19 boards, 11 assists (passing out of double teams mostly), 3 blocks, and 3 steals.
Old 10-22-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
The Magic are scary as hell in this game. I was using them last night to get the Dwight Howard acheivement (12 minute quarters on Pro vs. the Kings) and I ended up with like 190 points. Nelson had about 35 dimes, and Superman was a monster: 68 points, 19 boards, 11 assists (passing out of double teams mostly), 3 blocks, and 3 steals.
How long were the quarters you were playing at? It seems like on the default length, I can barely score 60-70 points.
Old 10-22-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
12 minutes. Usually, I play on 6, but going for the acheivements, you might need the whole game to get 3 blocks with 1 guy.
Old 10-22-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts
Stupid question: Are the old school Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, etc in NBA 2K9? I saw a video promo for 2K9 at operationsports.com and it showed Jordan and Pippen... is that for real?
Old 10-23-08, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope...but you can share roster files with other people online, and I've already seen two versions of the Bulls championship squads.
Old 10-23-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'll get 2K9. I had NBA '08 last year and actually liked it. But based on feedback and reviews from IGN (Live: 6.5, NBA '09: 6.5, 2K9: 8.5), I'll go with the majority here.
Old 10-28-08, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think I'll get 2K9. I had NBA '08 last year and actually liked it. But based on feedback and reviews from IGN (Live: 6.5, NBA '09: 6.5, 2K9: 8.5), I'll go with the majority here.
Good choice... plus you saved yourself some money in not having to pay for the DNA feature which is pretty much 2K's Living Rosters (which is free) - updated news stories, player trades, rumors, etc etc. Give us a review when you get it.
Old 10-28-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,734 Likes on 2,681 Posts
The DNA feature on Live 09 is free. There is a card with a special code to input to have that feature added which also includes the updated rosters.

I decided to go with both. I also picked up Live mainly for the FIBA tournament with all the international teams.
Old 10-28-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went through the tutorial for the moves and now I can pretty much destroy any team... on Rookie.
Old 10-28-08, 03:07 PM

Been playing on All-Star - One thing that is pissing me off as the Lakers is no one can shoot the mid-range or 3 point shot. Only way I can score is to drive for the most part. I tried tweaking the sliders but didn't seem to make a difference.
Old 11-13-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I started playing this again and absolutely love it. The game is so detailed it even has LeBron biting his fingernails! I've been racking up achievements... but man the dunk contest is hard as hell.
Old 11-14-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LeBron looks so awkward doing that, though...it looks like he's sniffing his hand.
Old 11-14-08, 01:55 PM

Question guys for NBA 2k9 I have started a season and adjusted the game sliders which has made a world of difference as the game plays much more like the real thing. As far as the living rosters, I'm not sure the benefit here. From what I am seeing it dos not work for Association or Season. Since the living roster feature updates when the game starts other than playing exhibition games is it useless? I guess when ready to start a new season the rosters will be up to date, but unless I am missing something its pretty pointless? The hype up the benefits of up to date rosters, player updates, hot streaks, etc but what just for exhibition games?
Old 11-14-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Question guys for NBA 2k9 I have started a season and adjusted the game sliders which has made a world of difference as the game plays much more like the real thing. As far as the living rosters, I'm not sure the benefit here. From what I am seeing it dos not work for Association or Season. Since the living roster feature updates when the game starts other than playing exhibition games is it useless? I guess when ready to start a new season the rosters will be up to date, but unless I am missing something its pretty pointless? The hype up the benefits of up to date rosters, player updates, hot streaks, etc but what just for exhibition games?
I'm not sure how Live does it, but this does make some sense. I don't think they keep an extensive record of injuries and dates, they just update with whatever current injuries are out there, right? So if you're playing through the association with, say, the Lakers, and are right in the middle of the playoffs, and Kobe got injured in real life... do you want him injured in your franchise too? How would real-life trades happen in your association game if there have already been "fake" trades?
Old 11-21-08, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I started playing this again and absolutely love it. The game is so detailed it even has LeBron biting his fingernails! I've been racking up achievements... but man the dunk contest is hard as hell.
I noticed that too with LeBron, 2k is saying thats one of the improvements is to mimic as many moves and characteristics on court to the game. Pretty neat idea and adds to the reality of things.

The benefit is pretty much for exhibition games and online play. Once you start a season, it takes the rosters that are current within your saved roster file and begins from there.
Old 11-21-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll agree with the sentiments that the Magic are awesome. I started a season as the 1997 Bulls and traded everyone...my starting lineup is Rose, Jordan, Deng, Rodman, and Horford, with Fernandez off the bench. I got squashed by 23. Howard dropped 36 points, 17 rebounds, 6 blocks, 5 assists and 3 steals on me.
Old 06-23-09, 10:48 PM
Banned

Re: NBA Live 2009 vs NBA 2k9 vs NBA '09 The Inside

Today I put NBA Live 09 in my PS3 after 4 months of not playing it. When I go and check the rosters, I see that EA has screwed them around and a lot of players are in the wrong team and on the injured list, so I'm not able to play with them unless I completely reset the roster, which defeats the purpose of the NBA 365. I even saw 2 Jerome James on the Bulls bench, both of them injured.

I sent a nasty email to EA sports and posted the issue on their forum. Lets see what they respond, but if this is not fixed, I'm not going to buy the 2010 release.
Old 06-24-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,734 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Today I put NBA Live 09 in my PS3 after 4 months of not playing it. When I go and check the rosters, I see that EA has screwed them around and a lot of players are in the wrong team and on the injured list, so I'm not able to play with them unless I completely reset the roster, which defeats the purpose of the NBA 365. I even saw 2 Jerome James on the Bulls bench, both of them injured.

I sent a nasty email to EA sports and posted the issue on their forum. Lets see what they respond, but if this is not fixed, I'm not going to buy the 2010 release.
NBA 2k10 all the way!!! However, I for some stupid buy both releases.
Old 06-24-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
I forgot all about this thread... looking back, I guess the game was pretty accurate...