Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NBA Live 2009 vs NBA 2k9 vs NBA '09 The Inside

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NBA Live 2009 vs NBA 2k9 vs NBA '09 The Inside

Old 10-06-08, 03:51 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,703
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Still downloading the 2K9 demo... but how is it compared to last year's version? I remember playing 2k8 and being a little disappointed...
Old 10-06-08, 09:46 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 681
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were disappointed with 2K8, not quite sure you'll like 2K9. Having played the demo, it sure is a good improvement to 2K8, and also think it made me decide to grab 2K again this year as this is a much better game compared with Live 09. Nonetheless, this is still largely similar to last year's gameplay, so don't know how you'll then like 2K9 in spite of the improvements. For me personally, 2K series has been great the last 3 years and is way much better than the competition.
Old 10-07-08, 09:12 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,491
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The general consensus is that Live 09 is a lot better than 08, but not better than 2k9. I bought 2k7 but skipped b-ball in 08 and will probably go 2k9 if I get a game at all.
Old 10-07-08, 03:55 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Daryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: You might catch me in Atlanta, looking like a boss
Posts: 13,727
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up 2K9 at lunch - loving it so far. Minor gripe: I still see they still have no idea how to call 3 seconds in the lane. Guys get the ball on the low block and spend about 10 seconds backing you into the lane until they shoot a baby hook over you
Old 10-08-08, 12:15 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,703
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDGamer
If you were disappointed with 2K8, not quite sure you'll like 2K9. Having played the demo, it sure is a good improvement to 2K8, and also think it made me decide to grab 2K again this year as this is a much better game compared with Live 09. Nonetheless, this is still largely similar to last year's gameplay, so don't know how you'll then like 2K9 in spite of the improvements. For me personally, 2K series has been great the last 3 years and is way much better than the competition.
I should clarify: I liked 2k8, but felt the "upgrade" from k7 to k8 wasn't big enough to justify a day 1 purchase (though I did get it in the b2g1f TRU deal last year). I could've waited until it inevitably fell. Anything exciting in this new version?
Old 10-08-08, 03:08 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up 2K9 yesterday. I've only played a few games so far, but I love it. I'm not very good. I'll probably spend a lot of time in practice mode tonight, to learn how to do a few of the moves and run some set plays.
Old 10-09-08, 12:58 PM
  #32  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 170
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got 2K9 today as well using the 10% off coupon from BestBuy.
Old 10-09-08, 04:32 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kiett_2000
Just got 2K9 today as well using the 10% off coupon from BestBuy.
what coupon is that?
Old 10-09-08, 05:52 PM
  #34  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 170
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJsig08
what coupon is that?
If you are a reward zone member, they usually send you 10% off coupons once every 3 months or so in the mail.
Old 10-10-08, 09:54 AM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 857
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slymer
Picked up 2K9 yesterday. I've only played a few games so far, but I love it. I'm not very good. I'll probably spend a lot of time in practice mode tonight, to learn how to do a few of the moves and run some set plays.
Same here, there are so many moves and things you could do with each the players its gonna take forever for me to learn. I'm still liking it and I can still do a lot of damage on the court. At least I can look good doing it, especially in HD. I'm still mastering the shot stick, I've gotten better and it takes some practice but once you get it down you get addicted to it.

Anyone notice they changed the broadcast team too? Just another little change but done in good taste.
Old 10-10-08, 10:28 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 681
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After playing both demos several times, NBA 2k9 is the obvious choice. THe only question now is which version, PS3 or Xbox 360? I'm partial to xbox for gaming, but the one thing that makes me want to buy PS3 this time is the free online gaming. I don't really want to pay for Gold service in 360. How is online gaming in PS3, would it compare with how good it works for 360? Also, any reviews that actually compare the game for both versions? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-10-08, 11:32 AM
  #37  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harrydoyle
Same here, there are so many moves and things you could do with each the players its gonna take forever for me to learn. I'm still liking it and I can still do a lot of damage on the court. At least I can look good doing it, especially in HD. I'm still mastering the shot stick, I've gotten better and it takes some practice but once you get it down you get addicted to it.

Anyone notice they changed the broadcast team too? Just another little change but done in good taste.
Have you tried the "Tutorial" mode under Practice? Its pretty cool. Shows you how to do and lets you practice every single move in the game. Of course once I start a real game, I have a brain fart and can't remember anything.
Old 10-13-08, 06:20 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBA 2K9 is great. Bought a 360 to play this game and am really enjoying it. By far the best basketball sim ever and although it has a few weak spots it's an extremely solid game.
Old 10-14-08, 12:25 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 857
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDGamer
After playing both demos several times, NBA 2k9 is the obvious choice. THe only question now is which version, PS3 or Xbox 360? I'm partial to xbox for gaming, but the one thing that makes me want to buy PS3 this time is the free online gaming. I don't really want to pay for Gold service in 360. How is online gaming in PS3, would it compare with how good it works for 360? Also, any reviews that actually compare the game for both versions? Any suggestions? Thanks.
I guess it would mostly depend on personal preference, I've heard good things on both sides and from the looks of it, they seem pretty comparable. If your friends are on one system more than another then it might be better to go with that, better to play with your friends online than with strangers I guess. 5 on 5 online play is best used with friends.

Originally Posted by slymer
Have you tried the "Tutorial" mode under Practice? Its pretty cool. Shows you how to do and lets you practice every single move in the game. Of course once I start a real game, I have a brain fart and can't remember anything.
I actually never got into that, I was too anxious to play the games haha. I've seen my friends pull moves that I didn't even know existed because they play 24/7 and learn all the moves on there. Really takes some patience and time but I'm enjoying it so far.
Old 10-15-08, 12:40 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone tried the dunk contest in 2K9? Quite the steep learning curve. I've finally "got it" meaning I know how to dunk. But after playing for 4 hours last night I still can't win it.
Old 10-15-08, 04:00 PM
  #41  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,973
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anyone know this?

And NBA Live 09 will include a similar free, one-time code for accessing daily roster and stat updates. If you buy a used copy of NBA Live 09 and the previous user has already redeemed the code, you'll have to pay $20 to get the updates.
I saw in the Publishers vs used games thread. EA has some ball to do this and to charge $20 for a fucking code!
Old 10-15-08, 04:25 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
Did anyone know this?



I saw in the Publishers vs used games thread. EA has some ball to do this and to charge $20 for a fucking code!
It's a one-time free code.
Old 10-15-08, 05:40 PM
  #43  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,973
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I can't risk on buying the game used then.
Old 10-15-08, 11:38 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,703
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,624 Posts
I was wondering what that nba live online product was in the PS3 score. I thought they were making EVERYONE pay extra for their one revolutionary feature.

2K also seems to have automatic roster updates, so that's good enough for me... I'm not sure I would really notice all the nuances that Live would download (Steve Nash starts going to his left 65% of the time, etc.). Cool idea, though.

Maybe I just didn't fully grasp 2K8, but 2K9 seems to have a really steep learning curve for all of the moves... definitely a game that you have to go into the tutorial to figure out. And I still have a really hard time shooting jumpers with players who have non-traditional shots, like Marion.
Old 10-16-08, 10:21 AM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 681
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2K9 definitely is a more difficult game to play than 2K8, esp. at the All Star Level. the 'go to' moves you can do in 2K8 are not sure shots anymore. And certainly the moves are varied. Playing at All Star level, you're not really sure how your opponent will play. Sometimes they can just shoot the lights out on you from anywhere, and gets very difficult to win those games.

I do like how each game really feels like a different game from the last, because teams play differently, shoots differently, and there is just more variety in the game as a whole. Which is good and bad. Overall, I like it a lot despite the difficulty I'm having winning games. And I have yet to go on-line! Good there's a 48 hour free on-line to play this game, might just try it over the weekend.
Old 10-16-08, 12:29 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDGamer
2K9 definitely is a more difficult game to play than 2K8, esp. at the All Star Level. the 'go to' moves you can do in 2K8 are not sure shots anymore. And certainly the moves are varied. Playing at All Star level, you're not really sure how your opponent will play. Sometimes they can just shoot the lights out on you from anywhere, and gets very difficult to win those games.

I do like how each game really feels like a different game from the last, because teams play differently, shoots differently, and there is just more variety in the game as a whole. Which is good and bad. Overall, I like it a lot despite the difficulty I'm having winning games. And I have yet to go on-line! Good there's a 48 hour free on-line to play this game, might just try it over the weekend.
Glad I wasn't the only one losing games. There doesn't seem to be an arcade mode this time around. I always liked that.
Old 10-16-08, 01:12 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've tried a few times and failed in the dunk contest. I am totally lost on how to dunk in that thing
Old 10-16-08, 01:17 PM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 857
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed the increase in the game computer's difficulty in the demo. The cool thing about this is that its more difficult cause there are so many moves to learn and use, and the computer AI is smarter and more realistic. You can't use the same strategy all the time and you have to switch it up, learning the moves helps too. I was in practice mode for a good while, you look amazing after practicing though. Its well worth it and I welcome the challenge any day.

The 2k9 Living Rosters feature is an amazing deal considering you don't have to pay for it at all.
Old 10-16-08, 03:25 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PJsig08
I've tried a few times and failed in the dunk contest. I am totally lost on how to dunk in that thing
It's very tricky. When you start you have to spin the RS button, if you do a half or full spin as the first move, you have to start at the top of the key. This is the most important thing you have to know. When you start, you can press down or up on the RS, however, that has to be started within the free throw line.

I recommend spinning the RS around as much as you can near the 3 point line then doing the rest of the dunk. You have more time and room to do the dunk.
Old 10-17-08, 09:04 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,506
Received 3,800 Likes on 2,724 Posts
I picked up NBA 2K9 last week and have only played a few games, but I love it. Probably the best basketball sim out of the hundreds that I have played over the years. I really feel like I'm watching an NBA game on TV.

I have only being playing on Pro Level, but I find that the computer has been keeping the game competitive every time.

Very minor complaint. Why did 2K9 hire Clark Kellogg as the color analyst? Kellogg has never been associated with the NBA from what I can tell. He's only a NCAA studio analyst for CBS. Since Kevin Harlan does the play by play, they should have gotten Doug Collins, who is his regular partner on TNT.

BTW, who is calling the play by play on Live 09? Is it still Marv Albert?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.