Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

WWE Smackdown! Vs. RAW: 2009 (with ECW)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I posted this in the wrestling thread, but figured it could get a good laugh here also:

Oh wow, this doesnt surprise me at all. From LOP

WWE News: WWE Orders For HHH To Not Look Weak

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- This past week, there was some major heat between WWE and Fighting Spirit, a magazine based out of the U.K. that covers professional wrestling as well as MMA.

In the latest issue, the magazine printed a memo sent out by WWE to members of the video gaming press covering the upcoming SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 video game. WWE wants to control how the game is portrayed in previews.

WWE told the video game press that they could not show any screenshots of the Superstars bleeding or using weapons. Additionally, WWE said in their memo that they aren't allowed to show screenshots of digital Triple H "in a defenseless or vulnerable position."

WWE was said to be furious that the memo was published (I get the magazine, so I'll post the memo in its entirety as soon as I get my copy).

Additionally, Fighting Spirit defied order by posting a screenshot of Kane hovering over a vulnerable Triple H.
Old 09-21-08, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stingermck
I posted this in the wrestling thread, but figured it could get a good laugh here also:

Oh wow, this doesnt surprise me at all. From LOP

WWE News: WWE Orders For HHH To Not Look Weak

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- This past week, there was some major heat between WWE and Fighting Spirit, a magazine based out of the U.K. that covers professional wrestling as well as MMA.

In the latest issue, the magazine printed a memo sent out by WWE to members of the video gaming press covering the upcoming SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 video game. WWE wants to control how the game is portrayed in previews.

WWE told the video game press that they could not show any screenshots of the Superstars bleeding or using weapons. Additionally, WWE said in their memo that they aren't allowed to show screenshots of digital Triple H "in a defenseless or vulnerable position."

WWE was said to be furious that the memo was published (I get the magazine, so I'll post the memo in its entirety as soon as I get my copy).

Additionally, Fighting Spirit defied order by posting a screenshot of Kane hovering over a vulnerable Triple H.

something that the Observer didn't report is that they gave a bad review of the game. Basically, they said it sucked. If this is true (which it will most likely be), i hope that the game doesn't sell well so THQ and WWE will be forced to go back to the drawing board and make a good wrestling game again.

In another interesting note, apparently THQ contract with WWE ends in 2009 with a clause that can extend it to 2012. Let's see if they renew it.
Old 09-21-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
They should just make HHH an unbeatable boss in the game, just like real life.
Old 09-22-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HA! That is the silliest shit I've ever heard.
Old 11-10-08, 09:01 AM
Banned

Anyone picked this up? How is it?
Old 11-10-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A 7.9 on IGN.

= J
Old 11-10-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't buy SvR 08 so the game play was new to me, so far I am loving it (picked it up this morning). I will post more in-depth thoughts later.
Old 11-10-08, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarantino
A 7.9 on IGN.

= J
I saw the review this morning and it looked like is the same as last year except with new roster and a limited Season mode. No Legends this year and rumors are cirucalting that there will be downlodable content in the near future for next gen consoles.
Old 11-10-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it plays TONS better than last year's. Last years' version was way too easy. Looks like they've amped up the AI just a little bit.

Falls Count Anywhere matches are great too!
Old 11-13-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
For anyone still on the fence about buying this game, It's worth it. SvR 09 is the best WWE game to be released in a long time and i've played them all. Here are some cheat codes to unlock WWE Superstars that are locked in the game. It says for the 360 but the codes work on all systems.

SvR 09 cheat codes
Old 11-13-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I can back up the above. This is the most fun I've had with a WWE game in years. I love the story mode, I love the new tag features, and everything is so crisp and well done.

I can't wait for the Evan Bourne and Super Crazy DLC, and all the other DLC as well.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bCB21dMOdno&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bCB21dMOdno&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by Brent L; 11-13-08 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-13-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay I could only watch about 90 seconds of that video before I started shouting "Just fucking pick someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!1" but who is "Masked Man" with the WCW logo?
Old 11-13-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
The "Masked Man" was part of Jericho's RTWM storyline...silly to add him as a playable character, especially once you find out who he (or them) is.

I am loving the game. After 2008 I told myself, no more, but strong buzz on 09 made it pick it up on release date, and I've already gotten my money's worth. Fantastic job by THQ!
Old 11-20-08, 07:16 PM
Banned

This question is a little out of topic, although related to the Smackdown video game series. I just read this on pwinsider.com:

Warrior vs. THQ

In a confidential, sealed settlement, Warrior settled his lawsuit against WWE video game publisher THQ on 9/29.

The lawsuit, which was filed in April 2005, featured claims by Warrior that the publisher had used Warrior's " likeness, moves, trade dress, marks, and other intellectual property" associated with him without his permission in their Create-A-Wrestler mode of WWE video games, allowing players to "create a character that has a similar build, face paint, and logo symbol as Warrior, that uses the entrance and finishing moves found under the label ‘OUW’ that are similar to Warrior’s, that has the call name ‘The Warrior’ or ‘Warrior,’ and is from ‘Parts Unknown.’"

Warrior had negotiated with THQ in 2003 in regard to licensing his intellectual property for the videogames but discussions ended without any contractual agreement. Warrior contended that THQ had utilized and circumvented his trademarks and copyrights by allowing users the ability to build and create a Warrior character and thus, created the confusion that he had given his permission and was associated with the game
http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=34785&p=1

Does anyone know which Smackdown game was that? By the way, I find the Warrior lawsuit to be completely ridiculous.
Old 11-20-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have this game now and I think it sucks. Maybe it's just me, but the wrestlers move INCREDIBLY slow, and the finisher creator is very limited.

= J
Old 11-20-08, 09:17 PM
Mok

I was pissed off at how little guys sell in the game. I superplex MVP off the top rope and he stands up like nothing happened.
Old 11-21-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I do know that the older PS2 Smackdown games had CAW parts and moves which were pretty much thinly disguised, real wrestlers... haven't really used CAW in the current generation of consoles, as the character models are so detailed that it's tough to get a good likeness...
Old 12-15-08, 06:58 PM
Mok

Here is what is in the first dlc pack. coming soon.

Download Pack 1
Price: 400 Microsoft Points

Evan Bourne - playable Superstar
Ted DiBiase, Jr. - playable Superstar
Charlie Haas - playable Superstar
Chris Jericho - alternate attire
Old 01-09-09, 02:07 PM
Banned

Re: WWE Smackdown! Vs. RAW: 2009 (with ECW)

The download pack is now available for the PS3:

NEW CONTENT FOR WWE® SMACKDOWN® VS. RAW® 2009 NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD VIA PLAYSTATION®NETWORK

Leading Fighting Videogame Franchise Set to Expand the Virtual WWE Universe With New Playable Superstars and Clothing Choices

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. - January 9, 2009 - THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) and JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (NASDAQ: JAKK) today announced the availability of the first downloadable content package for WWE® SmackDown® vs. Raw® 2009, the latest release in the leading fighting videogame franchise. Now available for download worldwide via PlayStation®Network for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the content enables players to update their virtual WWE experience with new playable Superstars and ring gear. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 originally launched on November 9, 2008 and is available at major retailers worldwide.

The content package for PlayStation Network, available for a suggested retail price of $4.99, will include Evan Bourne™, Ted DiBiase™ and Charlie Haas™ (playable Superstars); Kelly Kelly™ and Maria™ (holiday costumes); Kane® (masked); as well as new ring gear for Chris Jericho®, MVP™ and Edge®. In addition, future content is planned for PlayStation Network, as well as the first content for Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

“Consumers are constantly looking for ways to modify and enhance their gameplay experiences online, and the ever-changing WWE brand offers many exciting opportunities to bring fresh, dynamic content to our WWE SmackDown vs. Raw community,” said Scott Guthrie, executive vice president, publishing, THQ.

“Downloadable content is the perfect complement to WWE SmackDown vs. Raw, and we are excited to enter into this new arena of gaming with the WWE franchise,” said Nelo Lucich, senior vice president of interactive, JAKKS Pacific.

About WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 for Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system unleashes a brand-new tag team experience, allowing players to build momentum and attributes, eliminate opponents with high-impact double teams and finishers, as well as get the “hot tag” for the win. The franchise’s renowned creation system offers a brand new Create-A-Finisher option, while a new Road to WrestleMania® Mode paves the way to WWE’s biggest event of the year and lets players experience a franchise-first co-op storyline. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 also extends the virtual WWE gameplay experience with robust online capabilities, including the debut of downloadable content.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 for Wii™ builds upon its inaugural offering by significantly expanding its match type options, giving players more ways to enjoy the platform’s unique pick-up-and-play experience. Gameplay advances to the next level, giving players more Superstar control with interactive entrances and victory scenes. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 for Wii also includes a wide variety of new objects, the debut of online gameplay and much more.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 for Nintendo DS™ returns with new gameplay controls that utilize the stylus and D-pad to deliver a compelling handheld fighting game experience. The redesigned Season Mode takes a role-playing approach, allowing players to interact with Superstars, upgrade their abilities and complete missions on a quest toward legendary goals. In addition, a larger Superstar roster, new match types and the inclusion of Create-A-Superstar provides players with a variety of intriguing options to enhance gameplay.

More information about WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 can be found at www.smackdownvsraw.com and www.thq.com.
Old 01-09-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

really timely with those holiday costumes... or are they Valentines day costumes or something?

Still haven't opened the PS3 collectors edition I got on Amazon black Friday... quick question, is there a normal PS3 case inside that "special" steel cage packaging?
Old 01-09-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes, the game is packed exactly like the normal retail version and the blu ray is in it's own case as well
Old 01-09-09, 10:22 PM

The "Steel Cage" case is complete crap. I bought it from Amazon on black friday for $40, sold the game on ebay, kept the Blu Ray and trashed the case.
Old 01-10-09, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm glad that they kept the price at only $4.99. I was expecting to pay $9.99. I can rest easy again knowning that Kane has his mask back.
Old 01-14-09, 01:47 PM
Banned

Saw this on pwinsider.com:
THQ issued the following press release today:

THQ ANNOUNCES AVAILABILITY OF CREATE-A-SUPERSTAR PATCH FOR WWE® SMACKDOWN® VS. RAW® 2009

Patch to Provide Additional Functionality for Created Superstars in Game’s Career Mode

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. - January 14, 2009 - THQ Inc. and JAKKS Pacific, Inc. today announced the availability of a Create-a-Superstar patch for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. The patch, available via PlayStation®Network, will let players give their created Superstars increased attributes following a one-time completion of the game’s Career Mode, as well as allow players to accept or decline Superstar abilities once they are unlocked. In addition, players may enter the code “MAXCAS” to provide created Superstars with increased attributes in lieu of repeating Career Mode play.

A Create-a-Superstar patch for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft is expected to release in early 2009.

“The Create-a-Superstar feature has always been a very popular component of the WWE SmackDown vs. Raw franchise,” said Cory Ledesma, senior creative manager, THQ. “The new patch will give players more flexibility and greatly enhance their ability to fully customize multiple Created Superstars at the same time.”

About WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 upholds the franchise’s commitment to delivering the definitive videogame simulation of live WWE programming. The Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 system, PlayStation 2 system and PSP system versions of the game unleash a brand new tag team experience, allowing players to build momentum and attributes, eliminate opponents with high impact double teams and finishers, as well as get the “hot tag” for the win. The franchise’s renowned creation system offers a brand new Create-a-Finisher option, while a new Road to WrestleMania Mode paves the way to WWE’s biggest event of the year and lets players experience co-op storylines for the first time. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 also extends the virtual WWE gameplay experience with robust online capabilities, including the highly anticipated debut of downloadable content.
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 for Wii builds upon its inaugural offering by significantly expanding its match type options, giving players more ways to enjoy the platform’s unique pick-up-and-play experience. The game also takes full combat sports entertainment to the next level by giving players more Superstar control with interactive entrances and victory scenes. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 for Wii also includes a wide variety of new weapons, the debut of online gameplay and much more.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 for Nintendo DS returns with new gameplay controls that utilize the stylus and D-pad to deliver a compelling handheld fighting game experience. The redesigned Season Mode takes a role-playing approach, allowing players to interact with Superstars, upgrade their abilities and complete missions on a quest toward legendary goals. In addition, a larger Superstar roster, new match types and the inclusion of Create-a-Superstar will provide players with a variety of intriguing options to enhance gameplay.

More information about WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 can be found at www.smackdownvsraw.com and www.thq.com.
Old 01-14-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Glad to see they're adding stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.