Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Little Big Planet (PS3) Thread!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Little Big Planet (PS3) Thread!

Old 10-25-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked mine up as well. I know this was mentioned earlier, but the game really opens up once you hit the second safari-themed world.

And the gamestop I went to, they said there were only copies for the people who pre-ordered, and they must have had at least fifty still in the drawer.
Old 10-26-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far I am really enjoying this! One thing I see they tweaked from the beta is that now when you have a jetpack you don't have to shake the controller to get rid of it - just push circle. On the Safari level, has anyone gotten the cheetah cycle yet? That thing is wicked fast! I'm going to build a rollercoaster-type level today and put that thing on it! I might just create a solid cube of material and hollow out a path for the cycle so it can loop the loop and so on!
Old 10-26-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope Amazon ships my original pre-order this week. On the down side, I'm in Florida all week so I won't get to play until Friday! On the plus side, you guys will have created a boatload of new levels for me to try out by then! LOL That's a subtle hint to add me to your friends lists!

Last edited by HotThang; 10-26-08 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Hit post by mistake
Old 10-26-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few things I'm using as "source material" for my level plans:

* 30's cartoons - I just picked up Looney Tunes Golden Collection 6 on DVD and watching the third disc is giving me ideas around designing simple but fun levels
* Rube Goldberg - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_goldberg; MouseTrap and The Incredible Machine were inspired from his works
* First wave video games (1970s-80s) - I'm working on a Donkey Kong clone, and I might try to tackle Pitfall

I'm still dividing my time between playing and learn to design, so it'll be a bit before I have anything I can contribute to LBP online. My ID here is also my PSN screen name, so look for something in the future!
Old 10-26-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
We should probably have a solid updatable post with DVDtalk created levels and usernames so it's easy to keep track of.
Old 10-26-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can someone please give a brief summary of what this game is all about? I am intrigued but am not sure I understand it.
Old 10-26-08, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri

* 30's cartoons - I just picked up Looney Tunes Golden Collection 6 on DVD and watching the third disc is giving me ideas around designing simple but fun levels
* Rube Goldberg - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_goldberg; MouseTrap and The Incredible Machine were inspired from his works
* First wave video games (1970s-80s) - I'm working on a Donkey Kong clone, and I might try to tackle Pitfall

I'm still dividing my time between playing and learn to design, so it'll be a bit before I have anything I can contribute to LBP online. My ID here is also my PSN screen name, so look for something in the future!
Consider me stoked!
Old 10-26-08, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Can someone please give a brief summary of what this game is all about? I am intrigued but am not sure I understand it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LittleBigPlanet
Old 10-26-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
We should probably have a solid updatable post with DVDtalk created levels and usernames so it's easy to keep track of.
Agreed. I wanna play with everyone's stuff.

Um... wait...
Old 10-26-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I made a thread yesterday where we can post user created levels that members here created or ones that you would recommend:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...-bad-ugly.html

maybe a mod can keep it stickied
Old 10-27-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts
I'll happily update the original post to include DVD Talker's created levels once they're posted here.

So get to work, people!
Old 10-27-08, 06:42 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've been having a blast with this game until I hit the forth area's third level called The Mine...

I have tried that level about 20 times and cannot get past it. It is the most frustrating level I have seen yet.

I cannot wait to play some user created levels and see what else is out there. I hope the servers are up today like I read on other sites.
Old 10-27-08, 12:22 PM

I'm going on my lunch tomorrow to pick this up. I've been trying to come up with level ideas, but having not played the beta, I'm not sure how things work, etc... as far as what is possible - though it doesn't seem like there's that much that isn't possible. I was watching Indy and the crystal skull and right as the big door into Akator opens I thought "that would be cool in LBP!". Other than that I'm just waiting to see the game and hope inspiration comes as I play it.

And, since I seem to be the one keeping up on MM's updates:

Linky

Cables have been connected, switches have haven flicked and buttons have been pressed. The servers are on, let the sharing commence!

W00t!

Last edited by C-Mart; 10-27-08 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-27-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, two more things we "need":

*Build a Sackboy/girl website - upload or build one from scratch at the site and then order it as a real doll fully customized
*Music - either let us use our own offline and have it subbed online (licensing), or get the license for the song "Powerhouse" by Raymond Scott (click the link to hear a sample - you've ALL heard it before)
Old 10-27-08, 01:12 PM

Rube Goldberg was one of the things that came to my mind as well... maybe we could take a queue from the Perdue people (per the Wiki article) and set-up a DVD-Talk Rube Goldberg Device contest! Make the theme something like put a DVD into the DVD-player or something.
Old 10-27-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The only thing we NEED is a patch that disallows dongles from being recognized as a second player and automatically dumping a second sackboy into my level. Is it that hard to program a "Player 2 - Press Start to Join" function into the game?
Old 10-27-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stumbled across a Donkey Kong clone in the beta ... it worked pretty well.
Old 10-27-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Going to CC, and Best Buy today to see if I dont get lucky...
Old 10-27-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Rube Goldberg was one of the things that came to my mind as well... maybe we could take a queue from the Perdue people (per the Wiki article) and set-up a DVD-Talk Rube Goldberg Device contest! Make the theme something like put a DVD into the DVD-player or something.
Now yer talkin'! Since you said that, I can't get it out of my mind! I may pick up a Rube Goldberg book soon and try to replicate some of those, or apply the principles to something like the DVD-in-DVD-player idea you came up with (and I really like!) Here are some more:

Change the input on a receiver from Video 1 to Video 2
Change a TV's input from video to HDMI (gremlins, anyone?)
Use a remote
Dim the lights in your media room

So many ideas, so little time...
Old 10-27-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Walker Boh
I stumbled across a Donkey Kong clone in the beta ... it worked pretty well.
I saw where someone even went so far as to capture the graphics from an emulator with an Eye and put them in! I will take a page from their book as far as scale goes - I'll print out a screen shot of a game I'm trying to dupe and that way I can get the scale right.

Just thought of another game to try - Warlords!
Old 10-27-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I don't get it, even after reading the Wiki. You create levels...and then do what?

I want to know more...I don't quite understand the concept of the game...which makes it interesting to me, but not drop-$60-to-find-out interesting. Sell this game to me.
Old 10-27-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Think Super Mario Bros. You start at the beginning of a level and have to get to the end of the level. Simple as that.
Old 10-27-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

abrg923...

RENT THE GAME and read this from Forbes.

What types of games are you into? This will really appeal to platform game players as well as those that want to create their own platforms. I'm a game player from the 70s so I've mostly played side scrollers for decades, and LBP is right up my alley.

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 10-27-08 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-27-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
So I don't get it, even after reading the Wiki. You create levels...and then do what?

I want to know more...I don't quite understand the concept of the game...which makes it interesting to me, but not drop-$60-to-find-out interesting. Sell this game to me.
It's a whimsical platformer (like Super Mario) where you play as a little sack boy or sack girl and try to get from one end of the level to another, working through puzzles, obstacles, collecting treasure and finding secret areas.

You also happen to be able to create your own levels.
Old 10-27-08, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by bdshort
You also happen to be able to create your own levels.
With an amazing level of detail, from sound to graphics, and even including mechanics, triggers, and all kinds of cool things. I saw one level where a guy made a calculator. It was a mess of wires and wheels, but it worked.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.