Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GHIV or RockBandII?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit77
I vote GHIV. Music editor, better quality instruments. Easier to read notes.
In the gameplay videos I've seen, I'd argue it's just the opposite. GHIV uses a dark purple line for the bass drum hit, for example, instead of a very easy to see orange line. I also find that the round notes which pop UP in combination with no "strike line" at the bottom of the screen makes for a comparatively worse experience than RB's rectangular notes, inset downward hit movement (you are pressing down on the keys or on the drumpads after all), and a clear strike line.

As far as the music editor goes, I do admit it sounds pretty cool, but when talking about the tradeoff between being able to make lyric-less (last I heard) jam-session-type songs and having a library of 500 REAL songs by year's end, that's not a hard decision to make.

As to the quality of instruments, RB2 has improved instrument quality and features across the board, so I don't know how people can be so confident that GHIV's are going to be better at all, much less better enough to matter. The drumset may look the same, but it's confirmed to be quieter, velocity-sensitive, and it has a metal-reinforced bass pedal. It's also going to support a cymbal attachment and potentially a second bass pedal. In addition, if you're really serious about your video game drumming, you can also get this beauty.

For me, the decision is easy.
Old 08-03-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This will be my first purchase of one of these types of games. I'm going with Guitar Hero IV!

Old 08-03-08, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Duder
In the gameplay videos I've seen, I'd argue it's just the opposite. GHIV uses a dark purple line for the bass drum hit, for example, instead of a very easy to see orange line. I also find that the round notes which pop UP in combination with no "strike line" at the bottom of the screen makes for a comparatively worse experience than RB's rectangular notes, inset downward hit movement (you are pressing down on the keys or on the drumpads after all), and a clear strike line.
RB had issues with HOPO notes in that they were a lot harder to read than in GH. I haven't seen anything rectifying this either.
Old 08-03-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Yes, they've already confirmed a Metallica album as DLC... Though right now I can't remember if it works with GH3 and GH4 OR GH3 and GH:M...
The CD comes out in September. You will be able to DL the album on the same day as the CD in GHIII. It will also be made available in GH:WT on it's release day in October. They haven't said, but it would be nice to be able to purchase it for GHIII and re-download it for GH:WT at no charge.

In the gameplay videos I've seen, I'd argue it's just the opposite.
Right. In the gameplay videos. You haven't played it so you have no idea. I tend to agree with rabbit (who's gonna argue with a machine like him? ) I tend to prefer the bigger round notes and HO/PO notes in GHIII to RB. However I hate that all the notes turn to light blue during star power, RB has them beat there. It should also be known that Neversoft (Guitar Hero guys) are not shying away from instrument specific songs unlike RB where every song has to have equal play for everyone/each instrument. Definitely a plus if you play solo often. It would also count as a negative if you tend to play multiplayer more.

having a library of 500 REAL songs by year's end, that's not a hard decision to make.
I love how this number keeps swelling in size by the RB faithful.

As to the quality of instruments, RB2 has improved instrument quality and features across the board, so I don't know how people can be so confident that GHIV's are going to be better at all, much less better enough to matter.
Again, have you actually used the RB2 instruments? It's hard to chime in with an informed opinion if that is not the case. What we know: RB1 instruments are roughly MadCatz quality... i.e. just shy of utter crap. Of course it stands to reason that RB2 instruments will be improved. Only way is up when you're at the bottom. Not to mention the Strat feels cheaply made compared to the solid LP. We also know that Red Octane has yet to deliver a sub-par peripheral. A case could be made for the LP but I still think the numbers would be low. There's no reason to think GH:WT's instruments would take a turn for the worse. There's always that slim possibility, but still unlikely.

What all this means when it comes to deciding? There is a very strong case for RB2 with the ability to import RB1's setlist + all the DLC but that's all for naught if your red pad on your drum kit doesn't work right or if you can't downstrum on your Strat. Wait and see, if GH:WT instruments work in Rock Band I'd definitely vote for that over RB2. Especially since you lose a note if you are using the RB drums. Then pick up the disc only version of RB2 and rent RB1 to import all the songs. Best of both worlds and you will more than likely own the better set of instruments.

The only problem with the wait and see approach is the six week divide between releases. However, it's likely that review outlets will get GH:WT early though and put all the instruments to the test for us.
Old 08-03-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I love how this number keeps swelling in size by the RB faithful.
500 has been the number for a while. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53595, http://kotaku.com/5025004/breaking-o...klist-revealed, etc.

It shouldn't be that hard for RB to get there. RB is at 245 as of 8/5, plus 80 on disc for RB2, and 20 for DL right away. So that is 155 more for DL (which includes those coming pre-RB2) in 21 weeks.
Old 08-03-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to mention the Strat feels cheaply made compared to the solid LP.
The LP had far more problems than the Strat, mostly due to the detachable neck.

Personally, I'm just hoping that between RB2 and GHIV, we can get at least one rock solid instrument of each type, even if that means mixing and matching.
Old 08-03-08, 06:13 PM

Right. In the gameplay videos. You haven't played it so you have no idea.
I'm sorry, have YOU played either of these yet-to-be-released games? We're ALL doing a little bit of speculating here based on what we know.

Also, I own a PS3, so using GH peripherals for RB may not be an option.
Old 08-03-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
The LP had far more problems than the Strat, mostly due to the detachable neck.
All speculation, but based on the two threads here (GHIII & RB) quite the opposite was true. I only recall a handful having LP problems vs. quite a number of people with Strat issues.
Old 08-03-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All speculation, but based on the two threads here (GHIII & RB) quite the opposite was true. I only recall a handful having LP problems vs. quite a number of people with Strat issues.
I'm just going based on what I've seen on Scorehero and various other boards. Most people I know with a Les Paul have done modifications for the neck problems. I don't know why anyone would take a chance and not do one of the fixes. I'd never be confident that the misses were all my fault and not the guitar. The fix here is really simple to do.

As for myself, I have two Les Pauls. Both had to have neck fixes, and one couldn't strum up and has the GRY-Strum problem.

The point isn't to argue which is worse though; the point is that none of the hardware from the GHIII/RB generation is particularly good, and we should just hope that we can mix-and-match instruments to get at least one very reliable set.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 08-03-08 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While the Les Paul might have had less problems, atleast EA made right and their RMA process was perfect, and extended, if you had a problem, you got a brand new instrument. If your Les Paul stopped worked after a month, you were SOL. Warranty goes along way to making the best choice. My strat broke, and I got a brand new one 5months after getting RB. My Les Paul stopped worked after 3 months, and i was SOL....
Old 08-03-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's not overlook the glaring factor that these things shouldn't be happening in the first place. I believe there was a much higher rate of issues with instruments in RB than there were with GH.

It's going to be hard for me to choose this time around though. I would like to demo the new guitar for RB though... the 'squishy' strum kinda ruined it for me. If it's more 'clicky' like it's said to be, then RB2 may be the way to go for me. I'd love to actually own both but two drum sets is just not ideal.
Old 08-04-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was dropping a lot of note before I modded my LP to make the neck fit tighter. It has worked like a champ ever since.
Old 08-04-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by edstein
I was dropping a lot of note before I modded my LP to make the neck fit tighter. It has worked like a champ ever since.
It's definitely an easy fix and probably why people aren't as vocal about the LP problem in comparison. REL is right though, EA has been a champ about replacing instruments.
Old 08-04-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm probably just going to buy the disc-only RB2, and maybe disc-only GH4. I'll just keep using my RB1 and GH3 instruments, and wait for reviews of all the new hardware. If any of them end up being really good, I'll get them later. It will probably end up costing more overall, but I'd rather wait and see if any are worth upgrading to.

My LP and Strats, work fine. I had problems with both, but fixed the neck on the LP and actually got 2 replacement Strats when my original strum bar broke. That was cool. So I have 3 working guitar controllers, plus the xplorers from GH2 (5 total). No shortage of guitar controllers. I just need a piano controller, and I could start my own fake Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band.

I'm more interested to see the reviews on the new pads for each of the drum sets. Pending reviews, I'll definately be looking for new drums.
Old 08-04-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ghym
I'm probably just going to buy the disc-only RB2, and maybe disc-only GH4. I'll just keep using my RB1 and GH3 instruments, and wait for reviews of all the new hardware. If any of them end up being really good, I'll get them later. It will probably end up costing more overall, but I'd rather wait and see if any are worth upgrading to.

I'm more interested to see the reviews on the new pads for each of the drum sets. Pending reviews, I'll definately be looking for new drums.

After the RB drum disaster (yep, I thought they were horrible), I am playing this super close to the vest. I am getting disc only games on release and let the dust settle in November on which instruments are the best and compatible. I got lucky unloading all my instruments and guitars over the years on craigslist and I don't want to go through it again.
Old 08-04-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to grab a new set of RB drums when they launch and use the RB stuff for both. Honestly, to the OP, depending on what we learn about GH drum cross-compatibility, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I'm interested to see the GH:WT drums, but if they are compatible it's going to make for a few awkward songs due to charting, since the yellow is a dual use pad in RB songs. I love that GH is going to change the charting when it detects RB drums, but I wish both companies would allow for mapping. It wouldn't change the world, but it would improve some things.
Old 08-04-08, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by rabbit77
OP, make this a poll!

I vote GHIV. Music editor, better quality instruments. Easier to read notes. Then get the RB2 disc only.

But in the end it's the music. Wait till the songlist from GHIV comes out and make your decision on what songs you'd rather have.
So you rather have colored notes on a colored backround (GH) then colored notes on a black backround (RB), and your actually saying the GH notes are easier to read? How does that make any logical sense at all?
Old 08-04-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RForte1189
So you rather have colored notes on a colored backround (GH) then colored notes on a black backround (RB), and your actually saying the GH notes are easier to read? How does that make any logical sense at all?
Huh? What colored background? Most are dark, and I'm pretty sure it depends on which character you select. I will give you GHII, which was gaudy and hard to see but really, you want to disagree with this guy?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0eqVI_9AaLY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0eqVI_9AaLY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 08-04-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
This debate reminds me of High Fidelity. How can you say something is wrong when they're stating a personal preference?

When I said above the notes are easier to read, I was mostly referring to the HO/POs that are slightly smaller than the strum notes. I can't read the solos as well as I can in GH. But I really do (as does my wife) prefer the overall look of the GH franchise over Rock Band.

Last edited by rabbit77; 08-04-08 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-04-08, 11:17 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will give you GHII, which was gaudy and hard to see
Ugh, after playing RB, I was playing GHII some. Hurts my eyes trying to follow the notes on those backgrounds.
Old 08-04-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most are dark, and I'm pretty sure it depends on which character you select.
That I really hope they scrap. You really had to find the best that worked for your eyes. Sadly, in GH:A, Joe Perry's fretboard was just insane with little white skulls. How could that have slipped past the devs?

Anyway, the easiness to read between games depends on the player, but I personally do wish GH would make the move toward either all black fretboards with no designs, or at least toned-down ones across the board.
Old 08-04-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The backgrounds never bothered me in GH3. Never played GH2 though.
Old 08-04-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never found the backgrounds to be a problem.
Old 08-04-08, 03:38 PM

Clearly, it must be the backgrounds that have kept me from FC'ing all of these songs...
Old 08-04-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Btw, what 'tighten' mods have you guys used with GhIII?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.