Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

Old 04-21-12, 12:41 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

if anyone wants to add me...

FOXDVD#1115

I don't have a chat headset set up on my pc right now, but I plan on getting it hooked back up soon. There is one other guy I play with who is a diablo nut...so if anyone wants to play with us that would be great...4 player coop..
Old 04-21-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
I have rarely had any issues with Xbox Live. What issues i have had were very short lived. I have took part in a few betas too and not had this problem. They should have an offline mode to try out.
Yeah, but the point of this beta is to stress test the servers. So, server errors are going to happen.
Old 04-21-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edstein
That's the whole point of the beta period. So these issues can be worked out.
The game is finished. Beta testing has been going on for months now. Hell, I've had versions of the beta installed on my Mac for nearly four months now.

However, Blizzard is using an earlier build of the game for the beta and this "free beta weekend" really exists as a stress test on the servers. If people bitch and moan about the servers not loading, crashing, whatever; everything will be fixed by launch in three weeks.
Old 04-22-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wlj
it keeps telling me that the servers are busy when I try to play it

see, it's this kind of crap that makes me dislike PC gaming.
You mean a stress test on a game in beta is having issues handling the load?

Say it isn't so.
Old 04-22-12, 03:04 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I really want to play this, but this close to release date I'm recalcitrant about spoiling the experience.

I see that you stuck to your guns on this one...lol
Old 04-22-12, 09:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 04-22-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The game is OK. Certainly not terrible, but not sure how I feel about skill progression so far. I'll probably wait for $40
Old 04-22-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's only like 1/3rd of the first chapter Groucho. Will only spoil like an hour or two at max.
Old 04-22-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally finished a playthrough of the beta stress test, didn't experience any issues and enjoyed it overall. From all the whining I've been reading over the past few years regarding the graphics being "too colorful", I would have to say I disagree. I really liked the lighting and effects found in D3, it looks like a motion painting. It doesn't account for a twelve-year wait, but it looks nice...
I'm still up in the air on whether I'm going to buy this anytime soon. I have very fond memories of playing through the first two games, but with my work and school schedules I don't think the $60 will be well spent.
Old 04-22-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow
The game is OK. Certainly not terrible, but not sure how I feel about skill progression so far. I'll probably wait for $40
I'm getting it for $50 at launch and am okay with it -- certainly the previous game had serious legs, but my limited time with the Beta was a mixed bag. It was fun enough, I guess, but if it's way superior to some of those other Hack & Slash games I mentioned, it's not something I'm really able to appreciate yet. Good voice acting, but the story isn't totally compelling to me yet. It's fine and looks fine to me, but as the presumed be-all, end-all game of its genre, I was sort of expecting...more.
Part of that I suppose is that I was playing the witch doctor. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I can't find a way to use any weapon I pick up. It's not an issue -- the poison darts and magic spells work just fine, but there's got to be a reason he picks up weapons, right?
Old 04-22-12, 05:06 PM

So far, the top two complaints I've seen about the Open Beta version:

1. Too much like Diablo 2
2. Not enough like Diablo 2
Old 04-22-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm getting it for $50 at launch and am okay with it -- certainly the previous game had serious legs, but my limited time with the Beta was a mixed bag. It was fun enough, I guess, but if it's way superior to some of those other Hack & Slash games I mentioned, it's not something I'm really able to appreciate yet. Good voice acting, but the story isn't totally compelling to me yet. It's fine and looks fine to me, but as the presumed be-all, end-all game of its genre, I was sort of expecting...more.
Part of that I suppose is that I was playing the witch doctor. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I can't find a way to use any weapon I pick up. It's not an issue -- the poison darts and magic spells work just fine, but there's got to be a reason he picks up weapons, right?
There isn't. I was a monk to start, so I figured I needed to use my fists. Nope, I can hold 2 swords and... oh I don't really punch melee ever. It actually reminds me of D&D's 4th edition a lot. You never actually need to use your melee attack.
Old 04-23-12, 08:41 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got in and put a little playtime in Saturday night. I have no experience playing either of the previous Diablo's so I can't compare them. I thought the game was cool, but it didn't blow me away by any means. I have played some Torchlight on Xbla arcade and D3 just feels like at darker/grittier Torchlight. However the MP in D3 will give it alot of re playability. I do realize that Torchlight was inspired and tried to be a copycat of the previous Diablo games, but I haven't played those so I can only compare D3 with Torchlight. Does anyone know if D3 will be compatible with an xbox controller? I know with some pc games you can use it. If so, I may pick the game up at some point for the co-op.
Old 04-23-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I played a little bit on Saturday. Seemed pretty cool. I think the problem with the beta, is that is doesn't have any of the elements that make the series so cool: the awesome story. The sweet cinematics and great storyline are missing (at least from what I saw) in the beta, which makes it seem like just another dungeon crawler. I still plan on picking it up.
Old 04-23-12, 09:13 AM
wlj

i am not PC savvy at all, but it appeared that the Diablo 3 beta would not use my Nvidia video card and would only choose to use the integrated graphics. The game was very choppy for me. Anyone have a suggestion for that? I have a NVIDIA GT325M which should be sufficient.
Old 04-23-12, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by wlj
i am not PC savvy at all, but it appeared that the Diablo 3 beta would not use my Nvidia video card and would only choose to use the integrated graphics. The game was very choppy for me. Anyone have a suggestion for that? I have a NVIDIA GT325M which should be sufficient.
You'll need to go into your Nvidia settings, select Diablo 3 from the dropdown list, and force it to use your Nvidia card. Easiest way to get to the settings is to right click on your wallpaper. It should be listed there.
Old 05-01-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Real money auction house fees and usage detailed by blizz

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/...se/how-to#fees

Auction House Fees
Before you post your auction, you’ll see any fees that apply to your listing displayed in the center section of the Sell tab. These fees will only be charged if your auction successfully sells, and will automatically be deducted from the item’s final selling price.

For Equipment (weapons, armor, accessories, and other unique items)

Transaction Fee (Gold Auction House): 15% of final sale price
Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): $1.00 USD per item / $1.00 AUD per item
Transfer Fee (when sending proceeds to PayPal or other authorized payment-service provider): 15% of amount being transferred

For Commodities (gems, materials, dyes, pages, recipes, and other non-unique items)

Transaction Fee (Gold Auction House): 15% of final sale price
Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): 15% of final sale price
Transfer Fee (when sending proceeds to PayPal or other authorized payment-service provider): 15% of amount being transferred
Old 05-01-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems really sleazy that they take 15% of the sale price, and then another 15% if you actually want the money.
Old 05-01-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn
Seems really sleazy that they take 15% of the sale price, and then another 15% if you actually want the money.
Eh, we're also talking about virtual items that you won't really have to work for. I'm sure they're doing that partly so no one will try to quit their job to do this.
Old 05-01-12, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I'm sure they're doing that partly so no one will try to quit their job to do this.
I'm sure plenty of people will try.
Old 05-01-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm sure plenty of people will try.
Oh I'm sure they will, and find out that selling stuff like this isn't going to pay their bills lol.

Landlord: Your rent is 3 days late
Idiot: Give me 2 more days. I have a Bastard sword of the swashbuckling monkey up and when that sells i can pay you.
Old 05-01-12, 10:14 PM

Looks like you can only have 10 active auctions at a time, and they all last 48 hours. Guess I shouldn't have given my two weeks notice today.
Old 05-02-12, 07:42 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Real money auction house fees and usage detailed by blizz

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/...se/how-to#fees

wow, people pay for in game items with diablo?? i knew people did with world of warcraft, but i would have never thought it would happen for a game like this. This isn't a MMO, only a hack/slash dungeon crawler with Co-op...right?
Old 05-02-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Selling items and characters was fairly common place with Diablo II. Now Blizzard gets a piece of that pie.
Old 05-02-12, 09:10 AM
wlj

how long is Diablo 3 supposed to be?

i hope they have a demo when it is released. I still have to get my graphics card figured out. (I have mentioned this earlier in the thread) I am not a PC gamer, so I didn't notice an issue my laptop has. With all games I load -- they will only choose to use my Intel Integrated graphics -- it will not choose my NVIDIA card. I have downloaded the latest drivers and that didn't help at all. I know that going into the "NIVIDIA Panel" and setting that card to be the preferred card is supposed to fix the problem but that hasn't has well. I even set certain games specifically to use the card in the panel and that doesn't work. My Asus laptop was purchased April 2011 so I can't return it. But like I said I am not a PC gamer and I hadn't tried a game until I downloaded the D3 beta. Any ideas out there about what to do?

Last edited by wlj; 05-02-12 at 09:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.