DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/534354-diablo-iii-reaper-souls-multi-platform.html)

kgrogers1979 04-19-12 10:04 AM

re: Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11196213)
One problem I have with both this game and Starcraft II is the $59.99 MSRP. It's like a $10 surcharge just because they know the game is highly anticipated. If Microsoft tried to charge $70 for Halo 4 or SCEA had tried that with Uncharted 3, they'd never hear an end to all the criticism they'd get. The same thing goes for movies -- you dont have to pay a higher ticket price to see The Hunger Games or The Avengers just because they're highly anticipated movies. Somehow Blizzard gets a pass for that. Though as long as I'm not paying that premium for either game (and I didn't), I suppose I can live with it.

Diablo 2 came out in 2000. Adjusted for inflation, that $50 is the same as $62 in 2010. So Diablo 3, in real terms, is actually cheaper than Diablo 1 and 2...

Also consider that Blizzard a decade ago isn't the same as Blizzard today. They are a bigger company today with more employees and longer development times, and therefore more costs.

Decker 04-19-12 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11196649)
Diablo 2 came out in 2000. Adjusted for inflation, that $50 is the same as $62 in 2010. So Diablo 3, in real terms, is actually cheaper than Diablo 1 and 2...

Also consider that Blizzard a decade ago isn't the same as Blizzard today. They are a bigger company today with more employees and longer development times, and therefore more costs.

None of which has anything to do with the fact that every other major PC game costs no more than $49.99 for the regular version. Aren't Activision, EA and Valve large companies as well?

kgrogers1979 04-19-12 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11196719)
None of which has anything to do with the fact that every other major PC game costs no more than $49.99 for the regular version. Aren't Activision, EA and Valve large companies as well?

:hscratch:

No other major PC game is more than $50? What fantasy land do you live in?

Look at Steam's front page. There are three games just on the front page that are $60. Max Payne 3, Skyrim, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

timewaster 04-19-12 11:18 AM

blizzard has never been know for cutting edge graphics.
It is their outstanding gameplay that makes them standout.
easy to pick up to play but difficult to master.

Diablo was the first action-rpg to come out. All the games that followed were modeled/cloned on the original diablo.

I was disappointed in SC II though. blizzard is known for coming up with innovative stuff everytime they release a new game. I saw nothing in SC II that was new or original. Hopefully it won't be the same with Diablo 3.

Decker 04-19-12 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11196737)
:hscratch:

No other major PC game is more than $50? What fantasy land do you live in?

Look at Steam's front page. There are three games just on the front page that are $60. Max Payne 3, Skyrim, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

Oops. Well, never mind, then. :D

At the time SCII came out, it was the first vanilla PC game to charge a console-like $59.99 MSRP. Now that they've broken that barrier, I guess other popular games have followed. Sorry, I didn't realize that.

shizawn 04-19-12 12:43 PM

Yeah, for a couple years now, AAA titles have been launching at $60. Really sucks. Most of the games aren't worth it.

On the flip side, it makes the $100 collector's edition (in the case of Diablo) that much more attractive.

Groucho 04-19-12 01:30 PM

I'll still be buying D3, but I just bought Legend of Grimlock for less than $15 and I couldn't be happier with that purchase.

pinata242 04-19-12 01:36 PM

I love that I'm not the only one that sees "Grimlock" every time with that name.

Groucho 04-19-12 01:42 PM

Dammit

kgrogers1979 04-19-12 01:42 PM

Personally I always see it as Grimdark.

I love late 80s/90s Batman comics, and that period of time is often described as "grimdark" Batman.

Ghym 04-19-12 02:43 PM

I think Activision started the whole $60 thing for PC games. Modern Warfare 2 was the first major PC title to get priced that high. Now it's fairly common for the really big releases.

Between Steam sales and older games from GOG, I'm pretty set for games to play. So, I don't buy too many games right at release.

I'll probably be picking up Diablo 3 though.

Ghym 04-20-12 09:36 AM

Diablo 3 is in open beta this weekend.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4963...4_19_2012#blog

wlj 04-20-12 10:53 AM

cool, i just created an account at battlenet so i can download the client.

wlj 04-20-12 02:50 PM

Anyone playing the free beta yet??

Groucho 04-20-12 02:53 PM

I really want to play this, but this close to release date I'm recalcitrant about spoiling the experience.

slymer 04-20-12 03:22 PM

I can't get in.

asabase 04-20-12 08:16 PM

Beta only gets you to level 13 which only takes an hour or two so you won't spoil much at all.

edstein 04-20-12 10:34 PM

I've waited this long. I can wait a few more weeks.

foxdvd 04-21-12 01:03 AM

level 8 monk so far...

The game is fun, but not blowing me away yet. It seems a little lifeless. I have the game maxed graphically and it is not impressing me that much. I am still getting it so I can coop, but I don't think this will have the same magic Diablo 2 had.

wlj 04-21-12 07:23 AM

it keeps telling me that the servers are busy when I try to play it :(

see, it's this kind of crap that makes me dislike PC gaming.

edstein 04-21-12 09:13 AM

That's the whole point of the beta period. So these issues can be worked out.

superdeluxe 04-21-12 09:45 AM

Oh please let there be a cow level.

fumanstan 04-21-12 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by wlj (Post 11199405)
it keeps telling me that the servers are busy when I try to play it :(

see, it's this kind of crap that makes me dislike PC gaming.

I don't see how that's unique to PC gaming, given that we see services on the XBox and PS3 down sometimes too.

Groucho 04-21-12 10:09 AM

Ridiculous. Sony's PSN service has never gone down for more than a few minutes or so!

Seriously, though, it's too bad there's no offline mode in this game for just this circumstance.

wlj 04-21-12 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11199537)
Ridiculous. Sony's PSN service has never gone down for more than a few minutes or so!

Seriously, though, it's too bad there's no offline mode in this game for just this circumstance.

I have rarely had any issues with Xbox Live. What issues i have had were very short lived. I have took part in a few betas too and not had this problem. They should have an offline mode to try out.