EW's 50 Best Video Games of the Past 25 Years

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

EW's 50 Best Video Games of the Past 25 Years

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 11:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The list is best video games, not most popular.
Old 06-23-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
The list is best video games, not most popular.
It doesn't even list the best games, anyway. Maybe best for its time or best in the influential sense, but certainly not best, period. It's the same thing that's going on in the Goldeneye thread.

Several games on the list have newer versions that perfect the formula or have been passed up by completely different games altogether. Doom was great when it came out and certainly influential, but to think it's the third best game period is absurd.

We should create our own list using some set of better-defined criteria, rather than comment on EW's "Games that are/were good and ordered with pretty much no rhyme or reason" list.
Old 06-23-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
WoW was featured in the Southpark episode that won an emmy. it should have been in the top 5. its substained over 8 million subscriptions for over a year.
Old 06-23-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveNinja
WoW was featured in the Southpark episode that won an emmy. it should have been in the top 5. its substained over 8 million subscriptions for over a year.
Not to comment on WoW (which I've never played), but no, most popular does not equal best. If it did, Budwiser would be winning beer-tasting awards, McDonald's would be honored by the James Beard institute and the 2007 Best Picture Oscar would have been a heated battle between Spider-Man 3, Shrek the Third and Transformers (shudder).
Old 06-23-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are too many games now and so much history that this "inclusive" list misses the mark completly

There are popular games, revolutionary games, and influential games. You can't lump them all together and make a list.

Games that are popular are not always great. Revolutionary games are not always popular, and influential games may not be popular or revolutionary but they definately made an impact on the gaming industry.

Its like putting Nascar, IndyCar, and Formula 1 drivers all in the same bucket and picking the "best" driver ever. Each is unique to its own style.
Old 06-23-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya know, I don't think there is a single game on that list that iis/was made by Sega.
Old 06-23-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kelkee
There are too many games now and so much history that this "inclusive" list misses the mark completly

There are popular games, revolutionary games, and influential games. You can't lump them all together and make a list.

Games that are popular are not always great. Revolutionary games are not always popular, and influential games may not be popular or revolutionary but they definately made an impact on the gaming industry.

Its like putting Nascar, IndyCar, and Formula 1 drivers all in the same bucket and picking the "best" driver ever. Each is unique to its own style.
Mario Andretti
Old 06-23-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Again it's a list, it was made by people with preferences.

I absolutely cannot stand WoW, but I admit it has had a cultural impact, especially on people who like paying money every month to do dull tasks at a sub-molasseses speed. It wouldn't be anywhere near my Top 100 list, and obviously, not mentioned in my own Top 50. The game is just insanely popular, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

I wasn't a fan of Super Metroid, some consider it one of the best games of all time. I also preferred ICO over Shadow of the Colossus, though SotC was certainly more unique. Hell, I loved Flashback and Blast Corps but can see those as strictly niche games.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-23-08 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-23-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps it is time to have another tournament in the Video Game forum?
Old 06-23-08, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Not a single Sonic game? Really?
I think Sonic's legacy, fair-or-not will always be as a Mario-clone. Yes, the speed element made it a different gaming expierence, but I think they'll always be viewed unfavorably -- a Parker Lewis to Mario's Ferris Bueller, a Monkee's to his Beatles, a Disney's Black Hole to his Star Wars. That's a tough shadow to emerge from.
Old 06-23-08, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Heck, even the newest edition of Dungeons and Dragons (the tabletop RPG) is basing a good bit of its rules and changes on WoW.

Yes, and that means 4th edition D&D is going to suck. I seriously have not read one good thing about the upcoming 4th edition. Gary Gygax must be rolling over in his grave.
Old 06-23-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
If it did, Budwiser would be winning beer-tasting awards
Budweiser. Sorry, but I had to do it.
Old 06-23-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taffer
Yes, and that means 4th edition D&D is going to suck. I seriously have not read one good thing about the upcoming 4th edition. Gary Gygax must be rolling over in his grave.
I'm cautiously pessimistic about 4th edition. I think they are almost dumbing it down too much and with the addition of the "cards" for spells i think the target audience isn't someone like me who played the original boxed set. They are targeting more the MMORPG and the CCG player. Those folks are used to the cards, simple rules, clearly defined rules (at the expense of creativity), etc.

However, by making it a simpler accessible game they might hook a bunch of youth into what is kind of a dying hobby. The online stuff for 4th edition looks pretty cool as well.

I would love to continue this discussion in the Book forum btw.
Old 06-23-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
I think Sonic's legacy, fair-or-not will always be as a Mario-clone. Yes, the speed element made it a different gaming expierence, but I think they'll always be viewed unfavorably -- a Parker Lewis to Mario's Ferris Bueller, a Monkee's to his Beatles, a Disney's Black Hole to his Star Wars. That's a tough shadow to emerge from.
Or it could be that the list is excrement.
Old 06-24-08, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Or it could be that the list is excrement.
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.
Old 06-24-08, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did Sonic influence anything. Have there been sonic clones?
Old 06-24-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by kaze0
Did Sonic influence anything. Have there been sonic clones?
I was thinking more along the lines of, has there even been a truly GREAT (i.e. A+, 10.0 rated) Sonic game? Sure he is iconic, but gaming-wise haven't the best Sonic games been merely good, at best?
Old 06-24-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I always felt Sonic 2 and 3 were fantastic but never hit the depth or creativity of the Mario titles (especially Super Mario Bros 3 and World).

And I was a Genesis kid.
Old 06-24-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
As far as these EW "best" lists go, this video game one, while not perfect, is a hell of lot better than their music or movie lists.
Old 06-24-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
As far as these EW "best" lists go, this video game one, while not perfect, is a hell of lot better than their music or movie lists.
I agree and I think it is because they don't cover games regularly. So they get a list together of the most popular and biggest selling games of the past 25 years and that's that. Unlike the other categories where I'm sure the list was debated to death in-house before it's final incarnation.
Old 06-25-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only good game that Sonic has been in is Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Old 06-25-08, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I agree and I think it is because they don't cover games regularly. So they get a list together of the most popular and biggest selling games of the past 25 years and that's that. Unlike the other categories where I'm sure the list was debated to death in-house before it's final incarnation.
But there are quirky titles like Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, and Psychonauts on the list. Titles like those are neither popular nor high selling.
Old 06-26-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
I always felt Sonic 2 and 3 were fantastic but never hit the depth or creativity of the Mario titles (especially Super Mario Bros 3 and World).
I agree about the depth, not about the creativity though. I actually would argue that the worlds visually in Sonic were just as, if not more, creative as any Mario game. Especially Sonic 2 through Sonic and Knuckles. Now the creative gameplay stuff, yeah, the power ups in Mario trump those in Sonic (even though Sonic's were pretty cool in Sonic 3).

If I were giving the 16bit era games in these franchises averages, Mario would get A++, but Sonic wouldn't be too much further behind at an A-. I know I always had fun playing those 16bit era Sonic game.