Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock Band: Official Thread of Never Gets Old Part 7 (and some RB2 talk)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread of Never Gets Old Part 7 (and some RB2 talk)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THE WHO!!!!
JULY 15th!!!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080630/...3xKiFsiINY24cA
MTV Games and Harmonix are releasing 12 "Rock Band" songs on July 15 from The Who — ranging from "My Generation" to "Who Are You" — that all utilize the band's master recordings. The tracks will be available for $1.99 individually or $19.99 together. The special release coincides with the upcoming "VH1 Rock Honors" ceremony commemorating The Who.

"Their music really comes alive when you're playing it," said Rigopulos. "We were trying to release 'Who's Next' in its entirety, but we were unable to locate all the masters. So in the face of that, Pete (Townshend) and Roger (Daltrey) helped curate this best-of soundtrack of everything we were able to find."
Old 06-30-08, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Between this and the confirmation that all the current and future Rock Band DLC will work in Rock Band 2, this is like the best Rock Band news day I have ever seen.
Old 06-30-08, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Instead of albums, I wish they'd do a 'greatest hits' pack of like 6 songs. The Judas Priest pack would've sold tons more if they had Livin after midnight, heads are gonna roll, turbo lover, green manalishi, etc... ACDC would kill with a greatest hits pack, though it would be tough to limit it to six (or eight, or twelve, etc...) songs. Albums are nice, but the majority of folks don't know an album from front to back.

THE WHO!!!!
JULY 15th!!!
MTV Games and Harmonix are releasing 12 "Rock Band" songs on July 15 from The Who — ranging from "My Generation" to "Who Are You" — that all utilize the band's master recordings. The tracks will be available for $1.99 individually or $19.99 together. The special release coincides with the upcoming "VH1 Rock Honors" ceremony commemorating The Who.

"Their music really comes alive when you're playing it," said Rigopulos. "We were trying to release 'Who's Next' in its entirety, but we were unable to locate all the masters. So in the face of that, Pete (Townshend) and Roger (Daltrey) helped curate this best-of soundtrack of everything we were able to find."
Woo Hoo! I just recommended a greatest hits pack a few posts up!
Old 06-30-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if they will have a way of letting people play on disc songs from RB in RB2. I wish the IGN interviewer asked that question. Regardless of that, it really sounds like they are putting a ton of effort into RB2 to deliver everything we have been asking for.
Old 06-30-08, 07:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The Who DLC coming and The Beatles confirmed as master tracks for RB2!? Fuck me!

Edit: Actually, shit, aside from Agent Orange (who I've never heard of), I want every band that is confirmed for RB2. I may just go cancel my GH:WT pre-order now.
Old 06-30-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The Who DLC coming and The Beatles confirmed as master tracks for RB2!? Fuck me!

Edit: Actually, shit, aside from Agent Orange (who I've never heard of), I want every band that is confirmed for RB2. I may just go cancel my GH:WT pre-order now.
All of those bands are not confirmed. The interviewer named off a bunch of bands, and Teasdale said more than one of those bands was in RB2. It could be Agent Orange and The Buzzcocks, but I highly doubt it.
Old 06-30-08, 07:46 AM
Banned by request

Ohh, I see. Way to rain on my parade.
Old 06-30-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Now that's an announcement I'm talkin' about. Fuck yes. I think the missing master tapes turned out to be a much better deal for the gamers. Essentially 12 greatest hits! That's fucking cool as hell and has now surpassed Boston and the Offspring pack as best DLC ever, IMO.

I love the Beatles as much as the next guy and would buy a DLC pack in a heartbeat, BUT... I can't imagine most of the tunes would be all that fun to play (at least solo).

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 06-30-08 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 07:51 AM
Banned by request

Yeah, I've been up all night doing some freelance work, so my reading comprehension really isn't top notch right now.

And I'd love to do something like "I'm So Tired" or "Blackbird" in Rock Band.
Old 06-30-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
I wonder if they will have a way of letting people play on disc songs from RB in RB2. I wish the IGN interviewer asked that question. Regardless of that, it really sounds like they are putting a ton of effort into RB2 to deliver everything we have been asking for.
this is one of my questions as well. This is all FANTASTIC news regardless, but I'd love to be able to import some of those RB1 disc songs to RB2 as well.
Old 06-30-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw you post and edited my comment you are responding to out. We're on a roll.
Old 06-30-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ohhh god. I gotta change my pants.
Old 06-30-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
Ohhh god. I gotta change my pants.
Already on my third pair today.
Old 06-30-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

*explodes*

ETA semi-composed thoughts: Am I reading too much into things, or could the interviewer being chastised about not including Australian bands in his list be a hint of a recently rumored and much sought after mega-band finally appearing in a rythym game? You know, ones not names Midnight Oil.

Also, this is the best of both worlds. Fully backwards compatible DLC and instruments, and no real need to even purchase the sequel if you don't want, while still maintaining retail with a new title. I'd have loved for RB 2 to be RB 2.0 via paid patch, but realistically, this is about the best you could do aside from that. Really cool.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 06-30-08 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if the Guitar Hero 3 guitar will still work with Rock Band 2. If it doesn't and the drums are a big improvement I might get the full set. Otherwise I'll just get the game. Can't wait.
Old 06-30-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Also, this is the best of both worlds. Fully backwards compatible DLC and instruments, and no real need to even purchase the sequel if you don't want,
No need, unless of course you don't want a disc full of new tracks to play.
Old 06-30-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cerial442
I wonder if the Guitar Hero 3 guitar will still work with Rock Band 2. If it doesn't and the drums are a big improvement I might get the full set. Otherwise I'll just get the game. Can't wait.
I'm sure the guitar will (and even the GH4 one), but possibly not the drums. This is at least for 360.
Old 06-30-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure the guitar will (and even the GH4 one), but possibly not the drums. This is at least for 360.
Yeah, it's not a definitive answer, but from your link to The Who information:

All prior versions of "Rock Band" instruments, as well as many from the competing "Guitar Hero" franchise, will also be compatible with "Rock Band 2."
Old 06-30-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Being able to play the Les Paul is huge for me. I literally can't complete a song on medium with the Fender, but with the Les Paul I have 2 songs left in expert. I just can't strum with the Fender.
Old 06-30-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No need, unless of course you don't want a disc full of new tracks to play.
From playing online, I have to wonder if there aren't a bunch of folks who'd be perfectly happy playing Enter Sandman and Welcome Home for the rest of time. But, yes, I guess my point is that it allows you to buy at your own pace since you'll be able to continue dl'ing content for both titles.
Old 06-30-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Definitely good news about the GH guitars working. Of course they have a lot of ground to cover to cut into the GH brand as far as sales go. Having as many peripherals work with their game as possible is a good thing. They would shoot themselves in the foot if only the fender worked with RB.

I wonder if the same applies to our PS3 brethren since that currently isn't the case.
Old 06-30-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I just filled the cup
Old 06-30-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
FYI, starting June 30th-October 1, EA is lifting the proof of purchase restrictions on their warranty again, per hmxsean at RB.com.
Thank you EA!!!!!!!!!!

My yellow drum head cracked just a week after they discontinued the open RMA process. I was still trying to figure out how to exchange or replace the drum set without buying a new set.

Time for my RMA.
Old 06-30-08, 10:01 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
- More than one of these (Agent Orange, The Beatles, Built to Spill, The Buzzcocks, Journey. Led Zeppelin, Modest Mouse, Pavement, The Replacements, Tool) is on the Rock Band 2 disc.
The only ones that really excite me are The Beatles, Journey, and Zeppelin...and they're probably the 3 least likely. I'm guessing if they had The Beatles and/or Zeppelin, they'd be making a huge deal about it already.
Old 06-30-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm with you, but I'd say Journey is a safe bet. They were in GHIII.

I just realized they are pushing this out a month before GH4. Impressive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.