Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Some PS3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Stop spreading lies!

Please see my posting in the HD forum. It tells you the LIMITATIONS of the optical out:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...82&postcount=8

Originally Posted by The Bus
While it lacks a few things in the audio department (optical out)...
The optical out certain DOES lack in the audio department! It outputs only 5.1 max while only the HDMI can support 7.1 audio formats.
Old 06-17-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
Okay then that seems fair. But so long as we're assuming things, why would a guy who comes in specifically asking about the audio of the PS3 compared to other Blu-Ray players (assuming now that he must be an audiophile based on your logic) give a fuck about a substandard system for audio? Can't we then assume that he must have the very best in home audio equipment and therefore the existence, or lack of optical audio is irrelevant since he would obviously be using HDMI to pass sound?

BTW the PS3 has optical audio, in case anyone was wondering.
btw, I was being sarcastic while making a dig at Sony for including substandard cables with their hi-def system.
Old 06-17-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
btw, I was being sarcastic while making a dig at Sony for including substandard cables with their hi-def system.
I know Corvin, I wasn't replying to your post. I thought it was funny
Old 06-17-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Please see my posting in the HD forum. It tells you the LIMITATIONS of the optical out:

The optical out certain DOES lack in the audio department! It outputs only 5.1 max while only the HDMI can support 7.1 audio formats.
Actually, if you want to simplify it that much, that's not true. DTS-ES discrete is a 6.1 format and works over optical (see: LOTR EE DVDs).

HDMI supports hi-rez codecs. PS3 output via optical will downrezz hi-rez to a more compressed audio type - DD5.1 or DTS5.1.
Old 06-17-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan

Just more lies - I don't believe you!

Spoiler:

I think almost every post after Bus's was sarcasm.
Old 06-17-08, 05:08 PM

Also and FWIW, SACD playback (there are still a few of us who CARE about the format) is limited using the optical out connection. There is no true hi-rez multi-channel output. Both the 2-channel and 5.1 multi-channel audio signals are downconverted. I do not currently have an HDMI receiver, but from what I've read, you do get full featured SACD playback using the PS3's HDMI jack.
Old 06-17-08, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchman
Also and FWIW, SACD playback (there are still a few of us who CARE about the format) is limited using the optical out connection. There is no true hi-rez multi-channel output. Both the 2-channel and 5.1 multi-channel audio signals are downconverted. I do not currently have an HDMI receiver, but from what I've read, you do get full featured SACD playback using the PS3's HDMI jack.
And apparently SACD support has been removed from the 40 GB versions.
Old 06-17-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitchman
There are some hardcore audiophiles that say the PS3 is not as good as players that bitstream the info to a receiver for decoding, but I tested a few discs on my PS3 and my Denon and I honestly didn't have either the ears or the speakers to tell the difference. I thought the PS3 did a great job with SACDs, but as you say it can only output the decoded audio over HDMI.

Last edited by darkside; 06-17-08 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 08:42 PM

I AM the original poster and I thank you all for your replies. I'm going to get one, I just need to find the MGS4 Bundle. Thanks!
Old 06-18-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to many articles I've read the PS3 is considered the best Blu Ray player out there. The latest HDTalk article even mentions this.
Old 06-18-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by theWitcher
And apparently SACD support has been removed from the 40 GB versions.
I was actually about to ask this very question while reading thru this thread. Oh well...and I just got a 40GB.

Do they even still make SACDs?
Old 06-18-08, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I was actually about to ask this very question while reading thru this thread. Oh well...and I just got a 40GB.

Do they even still make SACDs?
For the most part, as far as rock releases go, no. There is still the occasional import disc (the first 7 Moody Blues albums were reissued as "deluxe" hybrid discs about a year ago.) But, since SACD has been relegated to the scrap-heap of "audiophile" type status, it is a non-factor in the US except for some classical and jazz labels. More's the pity, since this is another great format that Sony has somehow managed to botch.