Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

May US NPD Sales Numbers

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

May US NPD Sales Numbers

Old 06-14-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I didn't want to get too technical about it, but the whole guitar communicates through the wiimote. Rumble, audio, button presses, tilt, wireless - the whole nine.

Granted, Nintendo probably allows custom signals beyond the U/D/L/R/A/B/C/Z/+/-/Home/Stick/etc and this is probably proprietary GH3 stuff. It's logical that controllers are merely extensions of the API the console manufacturer provides and it's up to the software to interpret it.

I imagine this is why the GH guitars work on RB on the 360 - because Harmonix knows their own code. This is also why the RB guitars don't work on GH, because either Activision didn't know how or explicitly decided not to.

It would have been nice if Activision had just mapped Green=A, Red=B, etc so that the guitar used was completely open - but that's just a fantasy. And so, yes, I over simplified my statement before and I'll revise it by saying it's a shame it isn't just a wiimote.
Old 06-15-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm kind of shocked that the PS3 only had a slight advantage over the 360 in sales last month. It just seems like most gamers already have a 360, and are now starting to get their PS3s.

I'm sure this month's totals (released next month) will show a bigger advantage, thanks to the MGS4 release and bundle.

I'm a price drop (or a spending spree) away from getting a PS3. One thing that has stopped me so far is the fact that I have to buy the HDMI cable and the remote in addition to the console.

Does anyone know if the MGS4 bundle comes with an HDMI cable?
Old 06-15-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikael79
I'm kind of shocked that the PS3 only had a slight advantage over the 360 in sales last month. It just seems like most gamers already have a 360, and are now starting to get their PS3s.
There are a lot more than 10 million gamers out there.
Old 06-15-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79

I'm sure this month's totals (released next month) will show a bigger advantage, thanks to the MGS4 release and bundle.

I'm a price drop (or a spending spree) away from getting a PS3. One thing that has stopped me so far is the fact that I have to buy the HDMI cable and the remote in addition to the console.

Does anyone know if the MGS4 bundle comes with an HDMI cable?

It does not. But you can get one on monprice for $5.
Old 06-16-08, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XavierMike
It does not. But you can get one on monprice for $5.
I don't mind that the PS3 doesn't come with an hdmi cable, since I'm not stuck buying proprietary cables.
Old 06-16-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerry P.
There are a lot more than 10 million gamers out there.
The post raises an interesting question, however. How many "gaming households" (households with a working, connected console) are there?

The PS2 sold, what, 40 million in the US? My guess is there's 30-50 million gaming households.
Old 06-16-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
The post raises an interesting question, however. How many "gaming households" (households with a working, connected console) are there?

The PS2 sold, what, 40 million in the US? My guess is there's 30-50 million gaming households.
Looks like 28 million on VGChartz. Looks like the Wii & 360 are at 24 million combined.
Old 06-16-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Looks like 28 million on VGChartz. Looks like the Wii & 360 are at 24 million combined.
Read what I said again.
Old 06-16-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
What? 40 mil in the US. What am I reading wrong? VGC has the PS2 at 28 mil in the US.