Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

LA Noire - The Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: LA Noire - The Thread.

Didn't they announce the Rockstar pass before the game was released?
Old 06-01-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Didn't they announce the Rockstar pass before the game was released?
They announced the announcement of a Rockstar Pass. No one knew what it was until yesterday.
Old 06-01-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Well, had this feature launched at... uh, launch... I wouldn't have a thing to complain about. But since I've beaten and sold the game off before given the opportunity to purchase a pass to play deleted scenes, my complaint stands.
Your poor life decisions are not the concern of Rockstar Games, Team Bondi, or any other parties involved in the making or distribution of L.A. Noire.
Old 06-01-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, had this feature launched at... uh, launch... I wouldn't have a thing to complain about. But since I've beaten and sold the game off before given the opportunity to purchase a pass to play deleted scenes, my complaint stands.
Not many people are as fickle as you. Everyone knew that DLC would be coming.
Old 06-01-11, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe you guys expect people to hang onto this game forever, let alone 3 weeks, in the hopes of getting to play known forthcoming DLC.
Old 06-02-11, 09:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I didn't like The Naked City as much as Slip of the Tongue.

Spoiler:
Another army morphine case?

I did find this reveal interesting:

Spoiler:
Stanley gets promoted to Homicide and partners with Rusty.
Old 06-02-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Exactly. I don't understand how splitting this into two retail releases is better than paying $10 for a bunch of extra cases that are unrelated to the overarching story, if you want additional content.
The Naked City at least, isn't that unrelated. When I got the game I downloaded the case before starting the game. So in my case, when I was playing the main story, it was just another case in Vice, I think the second, there was no way to skip it. And when I played the third case, for me, there were some comments from NPCs, nothing big, related to that case. I don't know if they programmed the game so NPCs don't say those comments if you haven't played that case though, but I really doubt it.

Originally Posted by Groucho
I didn't like The Naked City as much as Slip of the Tongue.

Spoiler:
Another army morphine case?

I did find this reveal interesting:

Spoiler:
Stanley gets promoted to Homicide and partners with Rusty.
When I played the game and reached that case it just felt like it was part of the main story. So yeah, that confirms some people suspicions that they just decided to remove some cases from the game and make them DLC. Or at least that's how I felt.
Old 06-02-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just finished this last night. Was really excited for the game but came away severely disappointed. When I first started playing, I originally wanted to blame the faults of Rockstar coming in and adding open-worldness. I thought a company like Bioware would have taken this to a better place. But by the end of it, none of that mattered.

While I can forgive gameplay/control flaws and quirks, what really killed LA Noire was the writing and lack of good storytelling.
Old 06-02-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would argue that the storytelling is actually very good, it's just structured very poorly.
Old 06-02-11, 03:39 PM

I would argue that the storytelling is actually very good, it's just structured very poorly.
Definitely agree on the structure. But for me structure and storytelling go hand in hand. And I think where the storytelling shines is on the case to case and dsek arc basis. But the overall Phelps storyline/arc, the thing that's truly suppose to tie it all together and cause us to invest ourselves in the game is really lacking.

Spoiler:
Spoilerized for both content and length, and this is no way is a thought-out dissection of the game's storytelling, just a rant.

We have a main character that knows and does things we're not privy to nor is he portrayed in a way for us to be empathetic. It makes no sense to play a close third person game and not concretely know (as one example) that your character had sex with Elsa when he went over to her apartment the first time. He yelled at his wife (who we never met until after then) about how she doesn't understand what he's been going through, but we don't know what he's been going through. We see flashbacks to the war, but they're not from his perspective, they're from this great omnipotent perspective. So the suffering that he's going through, becoming "more human" as Elsa later puts it, we don't see or get to experience. I felt more empathy and likeability for Kelso in the first scene when Elsa comes to him for help.

The game sets up storytelling rules and then breaks them but not for logical or needed reasons. Why after 18 chapters of a 21 chapter story do we completely change our main character? I understand in some games or stories or movies, a main character has a friend/sidekick/robot that can do things or have a special tactic that the main character can't do and so we briefly follow that special side mission, but it doesn't make sense here. Nowhere along the way has the rules of the game setup switching characters. The irony is, while the switch to Kelso put another nail in the coffin of bad storytelling, it did finally get me to emotionally invest in the main character (now being Kelso.) Fish out of water, attractive lady, a mystery afoot. But it wasn't necessary. The story should have Phelps investigating on his own time, or have been a story about Kelso all along. And to the rules end, also, why do we have the crime scene/new crime scene flashback in the last chapter. They've never done anything like that and it serves no logical or plot purpose to do it that way.

And if you are giving us all the omnipotent war flashbacks why give us the post-credit scene after the credits? The flashbacks make us hate Phelps, the main story and the way he is as a cop mostly makes us hate Phelps, but we also have no emotional connection to the GIs that this story revolves around. They all sort of seem like dicks anyways. But if you start with the final scene, show them coming back to shit lives, wanting to help their fellow GIs, at least then we're invested in wanting to help them, make sure Cohen and Fontaine and all the bad guys don't off our trying to make do soldiers.

All the ingredients are there for a fine story, a great story, but the chef was asleep in the kitchen. And maybe that's what's so infuriating is how good it could have been.
Old 06-02-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was having this debate with someone earlier today.

I think this was a good storytelling effort, but its vision was simply too big for what games can do right now.

Had L.A. Noire been a movie, come crunch time it would have been easier to shuffle around story elements and have things make more sense. But with a game, and a deadline, and a limited amount of space, things got cut and immediately the pacing is all wrong.

With a film you can move flashbacks around to where they make sense. In a game where they are tied to the discovery of tangible in-game items, you're kinda stuck. And screwed.

I guarantee you the story does not unfold as they originally conceived it unfolding. This was a "we have to stop what we're doing creatively and get this game out to market now" situation and concessions were made.
Old 06-02-11, 04:29 PM

I guarantee you the story does not unfold as they originally conceived it unfolding. This was a "we have to stop what we're doing creatively and get this game out to market now" situation and concessions were made.
If that truly is the case (and I believe it might be, although it wouldn't address all the issues), then I wonder how much damage putting all the time into the open world, finding 95 cars, etc. did to the story. Either way, the game has been a success, so I worry that the sequel will not address these major flaws. Gameplay-wise, I still think if it was shaped more like a Bioware game (dialogue wheel, choose to be good cop/bad cop) it would have been a much better way to go.

Wonder if there's a way to get a copy of the original script or treatment. Would be interesting to see how it was originally shaped.
Old 06-02-11, 04:36 PM

I've gotten a lot more respect for the game going back and trying to five-star missions. There's actually branching storylines and things you miss if you screw up an interrogation or don't find a clue. For example, if you have a successful interview, the POI might give up the goods and tell you where to go next. If you don't, you may have additional task(s) ahead of you to get there (such as tailing the suspect).
Old 06-04-11, 02:40 PM

Has there been any information on how much DLC there's going to be? Will there be more than the 4 cases included with the Rockstar Pass? Or is that going to be it?
Old 06-04-11, 03:37 PM
Mok

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Has there been any information on how much DLC there's going to be? Will there be more than the 4 cases included with the Rockstar Pass? Or is that going to be it?
I read on the Rockstar forums that will be it for dlc
Old 06-04-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok
I read on the Rockstar forums that will be it for dlc
Maybe not though.....I don't think there was any news on Undead nightmare when that came out 3 months later and that was damn near a full blown game.....ya never know.
Old 06-04-11, 06:37 PM

I find it hard to believe that they could cut two desks and yet somehow not have more DLC.
Old 06-04-11, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Based on what constitutes successful DLC in this day and age, I am reasonably confident that sooner or later we'll see some sort of DLC involving zombies.
Old 06-04-11, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Based on what constitutes successful DLC in this day and age, I am reasonably confident that sooner or later we'll see some sort of DLC involving zombies.
I think I could do much better if I was interrogating a zombie.
Old 06-04-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Zombie: BRAINNNNS
Cole: Truth
Zombie: BRAINS?
Cole: LIE
/cole shows brain matter on zombies shirt collar clue
Old 06-09-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/.../full/la-noire

This is one of the funniest reviews of any non-terrible video game I've ever read.

You can blunder your way through almost every interrogation and still close the case using other means, and you can even come to enjoy watching Phelps inexplicably lash out at every grieving widow, harmless bartender, and hospitalized teenage girl.
Old 06-09-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So, I'm playing cases again to get 5 stars, and I guess I messed up on the Golden Butterfly one.

Spoiler:
I got all the clues and questions right, had little city damage (I don't even know when it happened) and yet I only ended up with 3 stars. As with the first time I played it, I thought the evidence against the husband was stronger so I charged him, but do I have to charge the child molester?
Old 06-10-11, 12:47 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
So, I'm playing cases again to get 5 stars, and I guess I messed up on the Golden Butterfly one.

Spoiler:
I got all the clues and questions right, had little city damage (I don't even know when it happened) and yet I only ended up with 3 stars. As with the first time I played it, I thought the evidence against the husband was stronger so I charged him, but do I have to charge the child molester?
Yes
Old 06-10-11, 12:56 AM

I just finished the game also, and as previously mentioned was let down. I found the gameplay pretty repetitive and the story just not engaging enough. It just felt like you would go to place to place and walk around until you felt your controller vibrate. I didn't even want to drive from place to place because it felt like just a chore. The acting was pretty damn good, i will give it that.
Old 06-10-11, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The writing on this game is laughable. Some goon led us on a high speed chase, my partner shot his tires out, and he flipped his ride into oncoming traffic. We pulled him out of the overturned car, and then I whipped out my trusty notebook and asked him a couple calm questions.

When I said "eh...we're going to take you in anyway", he asked "why?". My partner's reply was..."just because."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.