DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Beyond Good & Evil on Steam for $8.99! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/531477-beyond-good-evil-steam-%248-99-a.html)

PixyJunket 05-13-08 05:38 PM

Beyond Good & Evil on Steam for $8.99!

Just in time for the.. oops.

If for some reason you haven't played this magnificent gem yet, now is your chance! No more excuses, you've wasted more money on XBLA crap and crusty Virtual Console releases.

The sleeper hit of last-gen gets another chance to shine in the digital world as it was previously released on GameTap (where it did rather well, mind you). The regular price will be $9.99 but to celebrate its New Release status, a 10% discount will be applied for about a week in typical Steam fashion.

If you are unaware of the game (or just recently removed me from your Ignore List), Beyond Good & Evil follows reporter/photographer Jade through an inter-planetary adventure uncovering a government conspiracy (and much more). Combining the adventure elements of the Legend of Zelda series with the stealth elements of.. well, practically every damn game from last-gen, Beyond Good & Evil is a game that adventure fans should definitely not pass up (even though you did).

It suffered a tough release in an extremely busy holiday 2003 season, with a main character the teenage boy market couldn't connect to, little advertising and indeed, the publisher's own monumentally moronic decision to release the game the very same week as their preordained super blockbuster, Price of Persia: The Sands of Time. The game did get great reviews and ended up as a game that almost everyone that played had to pass it on to someone else.

Get Steam Now:
http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow

This is now the third version of the game I own. :lol:

Brent L 05-13-08 06:14 PM

It's one of my favorite video games of all time.

Play it if you haven't already.

Michael Corvin 05-13-08 06:29 PM

The one game from last gen I wish I didn't sell.

glassdragon 05-13-08 06:36 PM

I could be wrong, but I think this is one of the free games you can play on gametap without paying

edit, nevermind it's not... sorry to get your hopes up

JasonF 05-13-08 07:52 PM

Great game. I recommend getting it through GameTap, since they have lots of other cool games, but if you don't feel like paying for GameTap (I think it's something like $15 a month), definitely drop the money on Beyond Good & Evil.

Edit: I did my math wrong. It's $7.50 a month.

SunMonkey 05-13-08 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I could be wrong, but I think this is one of the free games you can play on gametap without paying

edit, nevermind it's not... sorry to get your hopes up

But you can play it through them (and the Sam & Max seasons) for 99¢ with the first month trial offer they have.

mhg83 05-13-08 08:11 PM

I still have this game in my collection. Should probably start playing it.

boredsilly 05-13-08 08:26 PM

Yes you should. It really is an amazing game, one that lived up to all of the hype and then some for me (unlike Psychonauts...which could be good later on, but didn't suck me in). Actually, I want to replay it myself but I still have my xbox version so no need to rebuy.

xmiyux 05-13-08 08:40 PM

How playable with mouse and keyboard is it?

SunMonkey 05-13-08 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux

I played it that way and had no complaints.

PixyJunket 05-14-08 06:48 AM

Some videos for those that need some convincing.

A pretty solid US commercial:

A European commercial, "Believe" indeed:

A trailer that was shown at E3:

RichC2 05-14-08 07:26 AM

I think most people on this forum know very well what BG&E is, I think most have played it. It's past this site where it hasn't caught on.

Michael Corvin 05-14-08 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Just in time for the.. oops.

Don't be a tease. Do you have an inside scoop on a sequel? That's not a carrot to dangle out in front of this crowd. :)

Groucho 05-14-08 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by xmiyux

I didn't like that control scheme for this game. Would play better with standard console controller, I think.

PixyJunket 05-14-08 08:38 AM

Yeah, the game was obviously developed for consoles, I think Ancel said Gamecube was the lead platform at one point due to the controller and Zelda influence. I had a couple issues running the PC version (what a surprise) but didn't have time to fiddle with the settings. It looked pretty sweet in 1600x1200 though. But the PC version is notorious for not having gamepad support and not even being able to remap the keyboard keys. However, it looks like the second issue was rectified for the Steam release as the configuration screen that appears before the first launch has a keyboard setup. You can use an outside application like Keypadder to map the assigned keys to your gamepad of choice.

Jtnguyen12 05-14-08 08:50 AM

Great game. Sadly, this game didn't sale well. At least i got it for $10 while back ;)

Imprint 05-14-08 10:18 AM

I always intended to pick this up but never did. Is the Gamecube version better than the PS2 version? I have both consoles, but my local Gamestop only has the PS2 version used ($8).

orangecrush 05-14-08 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Imprint
I always intended to pick this up but never did. Is the Gamecube version better than the PS2 version? I have both consoles, but my local Gamestop only has the PS2 version used ($8).

I'd say if you can find the game at all, get it. It can be a bit tougher to find now.

PixyJunket 05-14-08 10:38 AM

Well, the PS2 and Xbox versions are still pretty common (and cheap) at GameStop. The GameCube version is a lot less common. The Xbox version is NOT supported on the Xbox 360 though. Regardless, I think there's probably very little difference between the versions though I can confirm that the GameCube version has progressive scan support as I just booted it up last week on my Wii to show it to a couple of people.

Groucho 05-14-08 10:40 AM

The Xbox version is NOT supported on the Xbox 360 though.

Which makes the possibility of this turning up for d/l on the 360 slim to none.

boredsilly 05-14-08 11:53 AM

Yeah, the game was obviously developed for consoles, I think Ancel said Gamecube was the lead platform at one point due to the controller and Zelda influence.

I never played it for this system, but this makes sense since at the time I was saying BG&E is one of the best Zelda games I ever played. Validation! (like no one else put that together)

pinata242 05-14-08 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Which makes the possibility of this turning up for d/l on the 360 slim to none.

If a sequel does come, it seems that they would do everything in their power to update the BC compatibility for this game just to push it on their download service.

I still own my Xbox disc and did start it a few months ago, but didn't get very far into it. That was because I needed a friend's Xbox to play as I no longer have mine. I would love for this to be made compatible on the 360 so I can get into it as my quest for a GC version failed and I never bothered looking for PS2 version.

FusionX 05-14-08 03:15 PM

I picked up the Gamecube version off EBAY a couple weeks back, under $20 complete. I'd pick up a sequel on release day, for sure.

Michael Corvin 05-14-08 03:21 PM

The Xbox version is NOT supported on the Xbox 360 though.

Forgot about that. I don't feel to bad for dumping my copy anymore.

PixyJunket 05-14-08 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
I still own my Xbox disc and did start it a few months ago, but didn't get very far into it. That was because I needed a friend's Xbox to play as I no longer have mine. I would love for this to be made compatible on the 360 so I can get into it as my quest for a GC version failed and I never bothered looking for PS2 version.

Gamestop's in-store inventory from their website is really, really good. You should definitely pick it up for a system you can play it on *cough* GameCube *cough*. I know the Xbox version is one of the most requested titles for 360 BC (along with Oddworld Stranger's Wrath) of what's left but whether or not they're even going to do another BC update is really up in the air.