Guitar Hero 4 (GH4)

Old 06-28-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Korn,System of a Down,Jimi,The Doors,Ozzy AND Tool? Hope thats true
Old 07-01-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tool is decent enough but three songs and their own venue? I dont think so. There should be one song per artist on the game disc for variety sake. Everything else should go DLC.
Old 07-01-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelkee
Tool is decent enough but three songs and their own venue? I dont think so. There should be one song per artist on the game disc for variety sake. Everything else should go DLC.
I imagine that it would be cheaper to license multiple songs from one artist than one from each. Plus, it gives fans of a certain band more than one song to play.

As for creating your own logos and album covers, I hope they allow you to load a JPG or something. With these consoles, we really shouldn't be limited to using an in-game graphics editing program.
Old 07-01-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
3 x Tool tracks would mean me getting back into the Guitar Hero series.
Old 07-01-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I imagine that it would be cheaper to license multiple songs from one artist than one from each. Plus, it gives fans of a certain band more than one song to play.
Perhaps, but put one song on the disc, and the other 2 on DLC. Then the non-Tool fans dont have to suffer thru 3 Tool songs in the career mode.

As for creating your own logos and album covers, I hope they allow you to load a JPG or something. With these consoles, we really shouldn't be limited to using an in-game graphics editing program.
It would be neat to be able to import your own logo but tricky to support online. The in-game graphics are common to everyone. I dont want to have to wait while someone's personal 3GB Metallica.jpg logo loads up onscreen.
Old 07-01-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps, but put one song on the disc, and the other 2 on DLC. Then the non-Tool fans dont have to suffer thru 3 Tool songs in the career mode.
I hear ya, but with there being 85 or so songs, there are bound to be at least a few bands with multiple songs. I have no problem with it, but then again, I like Tool.
Old 07-01-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I hear ya, but with there being 85 or so songs, there are bound to be at least a few bands with multiple songs. I have no problem with it, but then again, I like Tool.
Obviously, because there's only 68 bands in the world...

I don't think it's too much to ask for 1-song-per-band on the disc and save the others for DLC. But if that's what it takes to strokes Manyard's ego to GH over RB, whatever...
Old 07-01-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Ouch, 3 Tool songs. Why not a band that's a bit more 'average-Joe' friendly, like Ozzy, Van Halen, KISS, etc...?
Old 07-01-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Obviously, because there's only 68 bands in the world...

I don't think it's too much to ask for 1-song-per-band on the disc and save the others for DLC. But if that's what it takes to strokes Manyard's ego to GH over RB, whatever...
You're right, wise ass, there are obviously way more bands in the world. Do you really think I wasn't aware of that or was it just more important to you to make little snippy comments?

Tell me how much more it would cost them to sign deals with 85 unique bands in order to have only one song per band as opposed to them doubling or even tripling up on a few of them? I would love more variety too, but I can see why they would do it the way they apparently are.
Old 07-01-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're the one that said there was bound to be as if 85 was some magic number making it an impossibility.

There were 58 songs on the Rock Band disc. How many of those were by repeat bands? What about the 70+ on GH3?

The fact is until GH:A and the upcoming GH:M, there haven't been any (or if there is one or two, I'm unaware) repeat bands on the disc.

I don't see how any of us should start reasonably expecting that now.

I'm not going to pretend I know more than I do about what we should expect, but I imagine (and this is just opinion) that bands and labels would be bending over backwards to be featured in one of these games. Maybe they're finally able to play RB against GH and get these sort of 3-pack deals on disc.

You applied the Pigeonhole Principle to the debate and stated it as fact. Maybe I'm a wise ass, but I'm not just making shit up either.
Old 07-01-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Ouch, 3 Tool songs. Why not a band that's a bit more 'average-Joe' friendly, like Ozzy, Van Halen, KISS, etc...?
Tool has numerous "average Joe friendly" songs. 46&2, Sober, Prison Sex (I don't see a song with the lyrics "with this shit-blood and cum on my hands" making the game, though), Schism, Vicarious.. shouldn't be too horrible on most instruments. Vicarious is fun as hell on the guitar controller (hacked version at least) though it's probably my least favorite "radio song" of theirs.
Old 07-01-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't care that much for Tool, but wouldn't mind a couple songs from other artists like Sublime or Linkin Park.
Old 07-01-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
You're the one that said there was bound to be as if 85 was some magic number making it an impossibility.

There were 58 songs on the Rock Band disc. How many of those were by repeat bands? What about the 70+ on GH3?

The fact is until GH:A and the upcoming GH:M, there haven't been any (or if there is one or two, I'm unaware) repeat bands on the disc.

I don't see how any of us should start reasonably expecting that now.

I'm not going to pretend I know more than I do about what we should expect, but I imagine (and this is just opinion) that bands and labels would be bending over backwards to be featured in one of these games. Maybe they're finally able to play RB against GH and get these sort of 3-pack deals on disc.

You applied the Pigeonhole Principle to the debate and stated it as fact. Maybe I'm a wise ass, but I'm not just making shit up either.
I really wasn't trying to "make shit up." I was just saying I personally would understand if some bands had more than one song. I honestly wasn't aware that GH3 had 70+ songs, so pardon my ignorance there. You also have to keep in mind that some of the songs in the past GH games and RB were cover versions, which no doubt cost a fraction of what the masters would have. With GH4 being all masters, is it that difficult to fathom there being at least a couple bands with 2 or more songs on disc? That's all I was saying, dude.
Old 07-01-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm with you totally there. But all I'm saying is that we haven't seen multiple songs from a single band on a release like this yet so I, for one, wasn't expecting it.

It's never win-win for anybody other than the band/label and developer. On this page alone the fans are split between Tool lovers, Tool haters, and Tool meh-ers.

GH gets to say they have Tool. Tool gets to dictate their inclusion. Tool fans win. Tool non-fans lose. RB fans (I assume) lose. But that sort of blind devotion is for the birds/pigeons.

I hope GH keeps up the trend of letting RB instruments work and forever remove the line from hardware and software.
Old 07-01-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a huge Tool fan and would love to play any of their songs. However, most of them are pretty long 6-8 minute range. I'm sure that's going to turn off a lot of people that don't like the band.
Old 07-01-08, 04:26 PM

Seems pretty simple to me, you don't like the band you don't play the song. There are several songs I don't play in rockband and I'm ok with that.
Old 07-01-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Tool has numerous "average Joe friendly" songs. 46&2, Sober, Prison Sex (I don't see a song with the lyrics "with this shit-blood and cum on my hands" making the game, though), Schism, Vicarious.. shouldn't be too horrible on most instruments. Vicarious is fun as hell on the guitar controller (hacked version at least) though it's probably my least favorite "radio song" of theirs.
The radio edit of Prison Sex just says "Blood on my hands" and Sober has some fancy editing too.

But shit, with 3 tool songs in here, i now have to buy it. FUCK.
Old 07-01-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
The radio edit of Prison Sex just says "Blood on my hands" and Sober has some fancy editing too.

But shit, with 3 tool songs in here, i now have to buy it. FUCK.
Same here, those damn Activision bastards figured out what it would take to get me back! Grrrr! I still refuse on having 2 drum sets though, so I really hope someone works that out by the time Rock Band 2 and GH4 are out.
Old 07-01-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by SomeVoices
Seems pretty simple to me, you don't like the band you don't play the song. There are several songs I don't play in rockband and I'm ok with that.
Unless you are playing the career mode in which case you don't have a choice.

I don't mind Tool though.
Old 07-01-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Tool has numerous "average Joe friendly" songs...Prison Sex (I don't see a song with the lyrics "with this shit-blood and cum on my hands"...

Oh, I remember that one, I think I heard that in the waiting room at the dentist's office. I'm not bashing Tool, or Tool fans, but c'mon. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, but even I wouldn't want a Floyd set of dismal 8 minute songs, especially some older/obscure stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is, this definitely doesn't (to me) seem like a strong selling point for the game. Throw 3 Zep, Beatles, or AC/DC songs in there and you have a strong selling point, not Tool.

Let's say Tom Morello was the face of GH:3, not Slash. Would it have sold as many copies? How many people would see Tom on the TV commercials and say "Who the Hell is this guy?". But Slash is a popular face from a popular band, and that has to help drive sales. If Tool is the "face" of GH:4, it may be a tough sell for some fence-sitters, especially if RB:2 has a major player endorsing theirs.

Again, I'm not bashing. I don't mind Tool.
Old 07-01-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Vicarious would be insane on the drums
Old 07-01-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It would be neat to be able to import your own logo but tricky to support online. The in-game graphics are common to everyone. I dont want to have to wait while someone's personal 3GB Metallica.jpg logo loads up onscreen.
Well, obviously there would be a limit on the file size, as there is with a forum avatar. The game could probably reduce the number of colors in a loaded image if needed.

BTW, Jet Grind Radio for the Dreamcast supported this, but IIRC the process was more difficult as it required you to download an image from the internet (using the system's crappy browser). With today's consoles it's easy to get pictures onto them, and you're encouraged to do so.
Old 07-01-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Oh, I remember that one, I think I heard that in the waiting room at the dentist's office. I'm not bashing Tool, or Tool fans, but c'mon. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, but even I wouldn't want a Floyd set of dismal 8 minute songs, especially some older/obscure stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is, this definitely doesn't (to me) seem like a strong selling point for the game. Throw 3 Zep, Beatles, or AC/DC songs in there and you have a strong selling point, not Tool.

Let's say Tom Morello was the face of GH:3, not Slash. Would it have sold as many copies? How many people would see Tom on the TV commercials and say "Who the Hell is this guy?". But Slash is a popular face from a popular band, and that has to help drive sales. If Tool is the "face" of GH:4, it may be a tough sell for some fence-sitters, especially if RB:2 has a major player endorsing theirs.

Again, I'm not bashing. I don't mind Tool.
Zepplin would be great, AC/DC too, The Beatles? Not a selling point for me.

Tool has great "technical" music anyway you dish it, it'd be fun to play on the instruments and their more popular, "Radio-friendly" songs, are around 6 minutes long or shorter (And I have a gut feeling I won't be getting Opiate or Aenema ("Fuck L. Ron Hubbard and Fuck All His Clones" is more relevant than ever.)). Somehow I don't think a song about fisting would go over well either.

I can see reservations with it being in the default game, though. I'd be on board, though.

As is obvious, everybody has different tastes in music so it would be foolish to put 3 songs from any 1 band in the default game unless it were a band-specific game like the horrible Aerosmith one. Still, Tool would probably fit better across the board as all the instruments would provide a high level of challenge and the songs aren't particularly obscure or genre-specific (it isn't death metal or hippie rock) and you can really rock out to em. Sadly, I do think they'll lean toward the latter songs as they're 99% radio friendly (neither features an Explicit Content label).

Again though, it is all a matter of taste As you probably guessed, I am a huge fan of the band (well was through High School, still a fan all these years later). Alas, it'd probably be the following 3 songs, as these games seem to enjoy putting newer songs in there, and they are long and are, imo, lesser songs:

Spoiler:

None are the actual official videos. The Pot, Vicarious, Jambi.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJmVEsncZ7w&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJmVEsncZ7w&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c5qKaZyZSyo&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c5qKaZyZSyo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sm__8yL1Wdc&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sm__8yL1Wdc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Of course, I'm also looking forward to At The Drive-in, which will have more than its fair share of detractors.

Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KU_XRrwExl4&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KU_XRrwExl4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by RichC2; 07-01-08 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course, I'm also looking forward to At The Drive-in, which will have more than its fair share of detractors.
"One Armed Scissor" is gonna be so much fun to play, especially on drums.

Last edited by FatTony; 07-02-08 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Removed namecalling (my bad, I just really love ATDI)
Old 07-02-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome...nothing like being called an idiot for disliking a song.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.