Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread - Part 2!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread - Part 2!

Old 07-17-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by BravesMG
I completely misunderstood the bike ramp thing, so it took me forever doing this before I figured out what I was screwing up.
Can you tell me exactly what you mean by this? I'd like to have a good idea of what to do when I get there. (Your walkthrough of the end was helpful but I'm not sure I get the ramp part.) I don't care about spoilers; I just don't want to retry 3999 times. Thanks...
Old 07-18-08, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the Kill a Rockstar achievement. I was playing against some hardcore guys last night. It seemed like when the game first came out everyone was on a level playing field skill wise but now that my game had been collecting dust I guess I suck. I got 2 kills the whole match and got it on the 2nd. Apparently, I suck at the game.
Old 07-18-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw
Can you tell me exactly what you mean by this? I'd like to have a good idea of what to do when I get there. (Your walkthrough of the end was helpful but I'm not sure I get the ramp part.) I don't care about spoilers; I just don't want to retry 3999 times. Thanks...
There isn't much to know, and i'm not sure why people screw up on it. Basically, you just ride your bike and go up the ramp. That's all.
Old 07-18-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fumanstan's right, there's nothing to it. For some reason I thought the ramp was associated with the docks, which are in the same area as where the ramp is. I was stubborn and idiotic and didn't read any guides or anything, as soon as I read that the ramp was on the left side and had a big yellow arrow, I felt like a huge idiot.
Old 07-18-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not that it is hard, you just have to watch out for the yellow arrow to indicate where the ramp is and then you have to hit the ramp before the helicopter flies past or you will miss your chance.

Once you get to the part where the helicopter flies overhead and you hear Roman talking about it, start on the lookout for the yellow arrow and ramp. It will be on your left side. When you see the bridge ahead, there will be two routes to take, the right route leads up to the bridge/road and the left route leads up to the ramp.

Like I said, not really tricky, just need to know what to look for and to keep that darn dirt bike under control.
Old 08-06-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like we'll be getting the PC version this year!

Grand Theft Auto IV PC Launches November 18th

GTAIV for the PC has been announced, as expected. Launching on November 18th in North America, the brief press release states that the multiplayer component will be "expanded."

Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. , is proud to announce that Grand Theft Auto IV will be arriving on the PC on November 18th and 21st in North America and Europe, respectively.

"We are very excited to be releasing the PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "The whole team is dedicated to bringing an amazing gaming experience to the PC. The game looks and plays beautifully on PC and we can't wait for people to play it."

Developed by series creator Rockstar North and set in Liberty City, the latest installment in the enormously successful Grand Theft Auto series features a painstakingly detailed and life-like city for players to explore; a rich, immersive narrative experience; an original soundtrack highlighting the cultural eclecticism of Liberty City; and newly expanded multiplayer just for the PC.
Old 08-06-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good. Wonder what it would take to make it run in 1050p @ 60fps.
Old 08-07-08, 12:09 AM

and some scalding coffee...
Old 08-13-08, 01:20 PM

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...derage-nielsen

17% of US GTA IV shoppers were underage - Nielsen

According to research from Nielsen as many as 17 per cent of people that purchased Grand Theft Auto IV in the US were under the legal requirement of 17 years old, with some children as young as seven seemingly able to get hold of a copy of the game.

The title, rated 'M' in the US by the ESRB - and therefore deemed suitable only for people aged 17 and older - seems to suggest a disparity with a recent FTC mystery shopper report that cited stores such as GameStop, Best Buy and Wal-Mart as having improved their ratings enforcement.

But according to Nielsen there's more work to be done in educating parents, particularly, as to the seriousness of the ratings system - a similar problem to that faced in the UK.

"61 per cent of these younger gamers indicated that they purchased the M-rated game themselves, with 39 per cent of the young gamers responding that someone else bought the game for them," said the research, as reported by GameDaily.

"Interestingly enough, parents/guardians were pegged as the biggest facilitators for getting the controversial game into the hands of these young respondents, garnering 80 per cent of the response. Friends, siblings and other relatives rounded out the other 20 per cent of the response."

The report also indicated that the episodic content for GTA IV which will be available to Xbox 360 owners was a factor for people in choosing which format to purchase for.

25 per cent of people cited the DLC, while 64 per cent stated that they just preferred the Xbox 360 over the PlayStation 3 - although it's not clear which consoles those people owned.
Chris
Old 09-19-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can someone explain to me the freezing issue with GTA IV (PS3 version)? I just picked it up and completely forgot about the issue. I read some posts on PS3fanboy saying that it happens on all makes of the PS3 and that it can also cause the PS3 to have problems playing other discs and Blu-rays ...
Old 11-21-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The DLC has finally been announced.

Rockstar Games is proud to announce that the eagerly anticipated first episode of downloadable content, Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned, will be coming to the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system via Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network. Available exclusively on Xbox LIVE worldwide on February 17th 2009, The Lost and Damned will feature all new content and is the first of two episodes announced for Grand Theft Auto IV on Xbox 360.

Developed by Rockstar North and set in Liberty City, The Lost and Damned features a new main character and plot that intersects with the storyline of Grand Theft Auto IV; new missions that offer an entirely fresh way to explore Liberty City with new multiplayer modes, weapons and vehicles; and a diverse soundtrack with additional music - all with the incredible production values that are the trademarks of Grand Theft Auto.

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned requires players to have the full version of Grand Theft Auto IV for Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE membership to download. Further details will be announced soon.

Check out high-res screens at www.rockstargames.com/thelostanddamned.
It's interesting they're going with a whole new character; I hope the story and length is substantial enough to carry a new character.
Old 12-05-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those that have finished the game... is the "You finished the story in less than 30 hours" trophy something that is hard to achieve? I've done GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas to 100% and they all took me a hell of a lot longer than 30 hours. I actually haven't really played this one since the first week it was out, but I wanted to start playing it again. I want to try and zip through the story mode and worry about the other crap (finding all the packages, delivering cars, etc) after... or is that not possible? It's hard to tell which part is the "story mode" when you meet all these different people throughout the game and the phone rings constantly with various little side missions. Like I said, I picked it up when it first came out and only played for about a week or so. I don't think I made it very far. I have since upgraded the hard drive in my PS3 and wiped out the game data. So I'll be starting over from scratch, which really isn't a big deal since I forgot what all the damn buttons do anyway. Any tips on what is crucial to the story and what can wait until after would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-05-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 19K
For those that have finished the game... is the "You finished the story in less than 30 hours" trophy something that is hard to achieve? I've done GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas to 100% and they all took me a hell of a lot longer than 30 hours. I actually haven't really played this one since the first week it was out, but I wanted to start playing it again. I want to try and zip through the story mode and worry about the other crap (finding all the packages, delivering cars, etc) after... or is that not possible? It's hard to tell which part is the "story mode" when you meet all these different people throughout the game and the phone rings constantly with various little side missions. Like I said, I picked it up when it first came out and only played for about a week or so. I don't think I made it very far. I have since upgraded the hard drive in my PS3 and wiped out the game data. So I'll be starting over from scratch, which really isn't a big deal since I forgot what all the damn buttons do anyway. Any tips on what is crucial to the story and what can wait until after would be appreciated. Thanks!
I don't have that achievement personally (too much time goofing off when I first got the game then I got bored with it after I finished it) however it can be easily attained if you just stick to the story missions. You also should take taxi cabs everywhere on missions which don't require you to drive and use the fast travel option. Also, skip through the cutscenes.

I think pretty much all of the character initiated missions are considered story missions and have to be played, eg. Packie and his family, Roman, Jacob, the mobsters, Dwayne, etc. The only non missions I can think of right now are Stevie's text messages for the cars, Jacob's drug deliveries and any of the dates except the first few with the first chick (forgot her name already).
Old 12-05-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
isnt there some code, like if the Letter is flashing, thats the main story line?
Old 12-05-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome! Thanks.

Slop101 posted a mission checklist a few pages back in this same thread. Didn't see it 'til after I posted. That should come in very handy as a guide. Doesn't look like there are any "date" missions on it. That very first date with the chick is actually a Roman mission... not sure if any after that are important other than keeping the happiness factor up.
Old 12-05-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah the 30 hour mark should be easy if you keep aware of it. I didn't really think about it and didn't notice it until I was towards the end and ended up finishing in just over that much.
Old 12-19-08, 04:58 PM

Picked up the PS3 version today for $8, its pretty bad fun! I love running over peds.

Ive noticed the graphics look a little blurry and not as great as I would have thought. Its not sharp at all and theres alot of popup. It doesnt look 1080i at all. Is there a way to check my PS3 output per game?
Old 12-19-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
Picked up the PS3 version today for $8, its pretty bad fun! I love running over peds.

Ive noticed the graphics look a little blurry and not as great as I would have thought. Its not sharp at all and theres alot of popup. It doesnt look 1080i at all. Is there a way to check my PS3 output per game?
The game actually renders at 640p and scales to 720p (or 1080p if you only check that; I don't know about 1080i).
Old 12-19-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Damn, been trying to get some achievements in this game lately and have 49 of 50 stunt jumps. No idea which jump I missed along the way.
Old 12-20-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Damn, been trying to get some achievements in this game lately and have 49 of 50 stunt jumps. No idea which jump I missed along the way.
Yea, those are always tough unless you plan on trying to get them all right away. It is a pain to have to go back to each one to figure out which one you missed. I haven't played this game in months since I beat it might have to pick it up again today.
Old 12-20-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 19K
For those that have finished the game... is the "You finished the story in less than 30 hours" trophy something that is hard to achieve? I've done GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas to 100% and they all took me a hell of a lot longer than 30 hours. I actually haven't really played this one since the first week it was out, but I wanted to start playing it again. I want to try and zip through the story mode and worry about the other crap (finding all the packages, delivering cars, etc) after... or is that not possible? It's hard to tell which part is the "story mode" when you meet all these different people throughout the game and the phone rings constantly with various little side missions. Like I said, I picked it up when it first came out and only played for about a week or so. I don't think I made it very far. I have since upgraded the hard drive in my PS3 and wiped out the game data. So I'll be starting over from scratch, which really isn't a big deal since I forgot what all the damn buttons do anyway. Any tips on what is crucial to the story and what can I wait until after would be appreciated. Thanks!
I got that achievement and did most of the side stuff as well. I think I beat the game in 29 and half hours. A lot of the small stuff you can go back and do.
Old 12-20-08, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
The game actually renders at 640p and scales to 720p (or 1080p if you only check that; I don't know about 1080i).
Thats interesting. I think mines in 1080i cause I can tell by my screen. However my TV overscan is SO bad, that the hints and street names, money, are all cut off around the screen.

Whats up with this game (and LAIR in fact) being so damn DARK! I can barely see what the hell is going on, despite the screen being 47'! Thinking about it, Im dissapointed in the look of the game.
Old 12-20-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did anyone watch "The Lost and Damned" video on Xbox? I'm pretty psyched for it. Looks like you play as a whole new character

I'm down for anything that doesn't involve Niko.
Old 12-20-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. Looks AWESOME!

= J
Old 12-21-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Does the DLC look like it would have any new areas or sections of Liberty City not already in the game?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.