Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Offical Splatterhouse Thread of Dread.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-02-08, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally released in 1988, Splatterhouse was a side scrolling arcade "beat 'em up" released by Namco that hit the arcades by storm. Due to the extreme content of the game it was rumored that Splatterhouse was the first arcade game ever to receive a parental advisory disclaimer. The Turbografx-16 version contained a small warning on the front of the box. This warning read as follows: "The horrifying theme of this game may be inappropriate for young children... and cowards."

The premises of the game is quite simple. You play as a young man by the name of Rick Taylor who is on a quest to rescue his girlfriend, Jennifer Wills, from the clutches of the evil parapsychologist, Dr. West.

In the game Rick and Jennifer are students who are assigned a project to investigate the West Mansion, also lovingly referred to as the Splatterhouse. Upon arrival at West Mansion a storm forces the two students into the house and into the dark. They are attacked by some unknown force in the dark and Jennifer is taken. During the struggle Rick is knocked out and awakes later after Jennifer has been taken. Upon awakening Rick comes in contact with "The Mask" which had attached itself to his face while he was asleep. By attaching to Rick's face the mask grants him an excessively large amount of power.

Rick uses this mask to fight through a multitude of levels. After a few bumps and mishaps Rick is finally Reunited with Jennifer but their loving reunion is short lived when Jennifer transforms into a monster and forces Rick to kill it. Full of hatred and rage Rick goes after the source of all the monsters that have infested the house. In doing so the house is set a'blaze. After killing the monster Rick is barely able to escape the house. As he leaves the mask is broken from Ricks face and the house burns down around it.

Splatterhouse 2 was released 1992 for the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis. Much like the first one, Splatterhouse 2, is a side scrolling "beat 'em up" released by Namco.

The game takes place three months after the events of the first Splatterhouse. Again players will be taking on the role of Rick who, since the ending of the first game, has not been sleeping well. Memories of Jennifer and "withdrawal" from the mask are giving him strange and terrifying nightmares. Somehow Rick and the mask are reunited.

Whether it is all in his head or not the mask starts talking to Rick. Informing him that the Jennifer he killed was not the real Jennifer. The real Jennifer was trapped in another evil dimension called "The Void" and that a secret house by the lake near West Mansion would hold all the answers to his questions.

Eagerly Rick makes his way to the mansion and figures out a way to open a portal to get to Jennifer. In doing so he allows a magnificently evil being to escape into the real world. Rick makes his way through the dimension and rescues Jen. The two fight to get back to the mansion and barely make it with their lives. Once they are back in the house Rick and Jen make their escape as the building crumbles around them. After fighting a gigantic monster in the lake Rick comes face to face with the evil being he released trying to find Jen. Rick defeats the monster and the mask detaches itself from his face. He and Jen embrace and the game is over.

A third Splatterhouse was made, but the only difference between it and the other two games is that it dives a little bit more into character development and isn't really worth getting into.

The appeal of the series came from its roots in shock / horror. The splatterhouse series was, at the time, considered to be quite gruesome and violent. Ripe with demonic imagery and extremely disturbing enemies people flocked to the machines with quarters in hand (later they would flock to their home consoles) to lay a satisfying beat down upon the demons that were called forth to torment anyone who entered the mansion. In many circles Splatterhouse has been recognized as one of the "forefathers" of the survival horror genre.

Recently it was announced that Bottlerocket, the developers of a multitude of sleeper hits such as Mark of Kri, were going to helm this remake. The game will be released for the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 sometime in mid 2009. The June issue of EGM, which should be in stores right about now, has the exclusive details on the game.

After reading through the issue it is quite apparent that this isn't going to be like the Splatterhouse many of us grew up on. This is going to be an epic gruesome tale of one mans journey through the pits of hell on earth. There hasn't been a lot of information released on the game just yet, but from what I have seen this is going to be a "must own" for any of us looking to fulfill a little dormant blood lust. From the screen shots shown in the game it is quite apparent that gore is the name of the game.

Again Rick is the main character of the game and once again the player will guide him through his adventures in the abyss. One of the more eye catching aspects of the game is the damage system. As Rick takes more and more damage abrasions and bruises will start to form on his body. If he takes a little more damage chunks of his flesh will soon start to fall off revealing his skeletal structure and internal workings. If Rick takes a crucial amount of damage he will start to loose huge pieces of his body including limbs. Thanks to the powers of the mask though, if Rick leaves combat and doesn't take any more damage the mask will heal his wounds and regrow lost limbs.

The whole feel of the game has been redesigned. Gone is the "Jason" rip-off Rick once was. We have now been given a Rick that is something more of the incredible hulk than an actual man. To any of the old school horror fans out there, keep your eyes open. This one is coming. . . to kill you.

Last edited by metalhead212; 05-02-08 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-02-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts
Is there a new Splatterhouse coming or something?

Well your edit answered my question.
Old 05-02-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 169 Posts
I just read the newest EGM and it looks pretty cool.

I wish they would include the original games on the new release or at least release them on Xbox Live Arcade.
Old 05-02-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks good from the EGM article.
Old 05-02-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I remember loving the game when I was younger and then go it on the VC last year and thought, man this is terrible... But I would definitely check out the new version as it sounds interesting.
Old 05-02-08, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Well, I remember loving the game when I was younger and then go it on the VC last year and thought, man this is terrible... But I would definitely check out the new version as it sounds interesting.
Games never quite live up to how you remember them. Sadly it is usually the best policy to keep them as only memories and not attempt to resurrect the game to play it again.
Old 05-04-08, 11:31 PM

Ironically, I just saw an old comic-style "prequel" ad in some old comics I was reading (from 1990) for Splatterhouse on TurboGrafx.
Old 05-05-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I look forward for Retro in 3D version. Hope it'll be kickass title
Old 05-05-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by metalhead212
Games never quite live up to how you remember them. Sadly it is usually the best policy to keep them as only memories and not attempt to resurrect the game to play it again.
Like Karnov. I really enjoyed that game back in the days but can't bring myself to playing it again. I will let the memories live on forever.
Old 05-05-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 665 Likes on 536 Posts
Most of you have probably seen these, but for those that haven't:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0805/game080502c.shtml
Old 05-05-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I love Splatterhouse! It was the first VC game I got for the Wii and am fired up to see what they do for the remake/reimagining.
Old 05-05-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

IIC there was a Splatterhouse 3, or at least a version for the Sega CD. For a long time, it was the last video game I bought....until buying my PS3 games.
Old 05-07-08, 12:23 PM

wow...thats a long time between game purchases.
Old 05-09-08, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just creamed in my pants.

Originally Posted by pedagogue
IIC there was a Splatterhouse 3, or at least a version for the Sega CD. For a long time, it was the last video game I bought....until buying my PS3 games.
Yes, Splatterhouse 3 was on the Genesis, and was quite a cool game. You could take different paths through each floor of the mansion, and how long you took affected the survival of your family.
Old 05-09-08, 09:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the Splatterhouse series. I remember playing it for hours on end as a kid, at a time when my parents wouldn't let me even watch Batman because they thought it would be too scary for me.

I sincerely hope the new one is good, because the developers have a lot to live up to.
Old 05-09-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
hmmm I liked the Jason rip off. A hulk rip off doesn't sound as fun.
Old 11-25-10, 12:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Offical Splatterhouse Thread of Dread.

For those curious, I've been playing the new Splatterhouse. For fans of the original, it's probably worth picking up, although I'd say wait till it drops in price. One of the big draws is that it contains all three previous games, including the arcade version of the original (the Wii virtual console version was the Turbo Grafx version which had several edits).

If you're a gore hound you might like it as well, but it's far from perfect. A good rental.
Old 11-25-10, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

picked it up yesterday with the $30 coupon from kmart, hoping to beat it quick and trade it into amazon and break even or maybe even make a little like sometimes I do with these games and deals. Well, I already beat it (very, very short game) and went to amazon to check the trade in value $14.50!!! it dropped over $45 in value in one day after release lol. Guess that tells you how much this game is worth. It was pretty fun though, just not worth buying at all
Old 11-25-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will definitely pick it up once I find it used... Sounds fun.
Old 11-05-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

This is $25 at best buy for the 360

ps3 is $30. And it said on the back that includes the original 3 games to unlock.
Old 11-05-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, if you don't mind used it can be had for $20 fairly easily. It's on my amazon wish list, but it is just one of those I haven't gotten around to quite yet.