Reload this Page >

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Old 08-12-18, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

After being found guilty Sheehan was sentenced to death and was executed at midnight, being buried alive by unsold FunkoPops.
Old 01-29-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Gamestop buyout isn't going through (at least not in the near term) and the stock cratered today.
Old 01-29-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I got a free $5 GC to Gamestop, so went in and picked up some trinkets to buy with it. The cashier tried to ring them up, but they were not in the system. So he tells me, “Looks like they’re free. Here you go.”

So, not vile and disgusting that trip.
Old 01-29-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reminder, I also got that free $5 coupon and need to use it soon. Unfortunately that would require me to visit a GameStop
Old 01-29-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I got one of those $5 coupons once. I tried it on a handful of items before giving up. Wasn't valid on anything I tried.
Old 01-29-19, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I'm surprised this wasn't posted here before

GameStop cancels Kingdom Hearts 3 special edition PS4 pre-orders, infuriating fans

‘Unforeseen issue’ = ‘sold more preorders than we had consoles’

By Owen S. Good Jan 25, 2019, 5:22pm EST

GameStop canceled an unknown number of pre-orders for a special edition Kingdom Hearts 3 PlayStation 4 Pro because it sold too many of them.Customers who had their orders canceled were sent an email informing them of the problem, along with a $25 coupon code for a future GameStop order. Obviously, these customers were not charged for the canceled order. The email called it “an unforeseen issue,” but in a tweet this afternoon the retailer said it oversold its allotment of pre-orders.
https://twitter.com/GameStop/status/1088901333254516736

Many customers let the retailer know its apology and the gift certificate were unacceptable in light of the unit’s value and scarcity, and the fact some had sold or traded in another console in order to finance it.

Another Twitter user (video game voice actor Sean Chiplock, in fact) offered a more trenchant assessment of what caused the problem.

https://twitter.com/sonicmega/status...03279155662848

The $399 Kingdom Hearts 3 Limited Edition PS4 Pro is exclusive to GameStop and EB Games in the United States and Canada. It’s due to launch on Jan. 29 along with the game itself. Sony and Square Enix announced the bundle in mid-December. The console includes a 1 TB hard drive and a case design with a Kingdom Hearts series theme. A matching DualShock 4 controller is also included. The special edition console quickly sold out after it was announced.
Old 02-23-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

If anyone is a Pro member, today is their Pro Day sale. I looked at the ad and nothing really interest me. Also, their ads now run from Sunday to Saturday, instead of Wednesday to Tuesday.
Old 05-21-19, 08:40 PM
Banned

GameStop’s PowerUp Pro Rewards are getting a major downgrade

by Ben Lamoreux May 20, 2019

GameStop has been in a tough place for a long time. The once-prominent retailer is massively in debt, and turnover at executive positions is high. Naturally, they’re looking for ways to save money and stay in business. Unfortunately, that’s going to come at a cost to their most loyal fans. The retailer just announced a revamp to their PowerUp Pro Rewards program, and it’s a downgrade for customers.

With PowerUp Pro, customers pay a yearly fee in exchange for rewards, like bonuses on trade-ins. Previously, this subscription cost $14.99, but the price will soon increase to $19.99. Additionally, GameStop is changing up one of the most popular rewards. Pro members used to be able to get a 10% discount on used games and accessories. This is not included in the newly revamped version. Instead, customers get a monthly $5 coupon.A coupon is nice, but it’s nothing compared to the discount. Customers could potentially save a lot more than $5 with a constant 10% discount. On top of that, these coupons do not roll over to the next month. Use it or lose it. For GameStop, this guarantees that customers will return and make a purchase every month. If not, they forfeit one of the rewards they pay for. At least the new deal still includes a 10% bonus on trade-ins.This new version of PowerUp Pro is currently “in beta.” Eventually, it will become the standard. With an increase in price and a decrease in potential savings, I don’t see this going over well with most Pro members. It seems like a clear downgrade for those who make frequent purchases. Whether or not it’s a good financial move for the company remains to be seen.

Update: When this article was initially posted, I made the typo of saying “monthly fee” instead of “yearly fee.” Pro members only pay once per year, not once per month.

Update 2: GameStop PR Manager Michael Delgado has reached out to clarify some details. Delgado let us know that this new beta version of Pro will officially kick off on June 2 in 74 test stores. He clarified that GameStop’s objective is to “Create a stronger benefit that appeals broadly to all PowerUp Pro Rewards members.” The new $5 coupon can be used more broadly than the past reward of a 10% discount on used games and appliances. Delgado claims that according to GameStop’s consumer research, the new coupon is more popular than the old discount.

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2...jor-downgrade/
Old 05-21-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

GameStop’s objective is to “Create a stronger benefit that appeals broadly to all PowerUp Pro Rewards members.” The new $5 coupon can be used more broadly than the past reward of a 10% discount on used games and appliances.
Funny how spin works. Remove features and claim it's stronger.

Then again I got a $5 reward once. I spent a half hour in GS trying to find something to use it on and left in frustration. It wouldn't work on anything.
Old 05-21-19, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Then again I got a $5 reward once. I spent a half hour in GS trying to find something to use it on and left in frustration. It wouldn't work on anything.
Best Buy pulled a similar shit 2 years ago when they changed their rewards program. Their spin was that "customers had asked for the new changes". Well, those changes included cutting in half the reward points earned, which again, no one had asked for.

Another stupid thing that I have noticed at Gamestops recently is that they have a clearance section with a mix of toys, shirts and other stuff and they have put yellow stickers, with a huge CLEARANCE label on them but with the same retail price they had on the store. So it's on clearance with the regular store price.
Old 05-21-19, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

If we can't have retail record store chains, we sure as shit shouldn't have retail videogame chains!
Old 05-21-19, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

If you're stupid enough to shop at Game Stop regularly, you're certainly stupid enough to be convinced it's an upgrade.
Old 05-22-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
If you're stupid enough to shop at Game Stop regularly, you're certainly stupid enough to be convinced it's an upgrade.
Strong words here... If you know what you are doing, Gamestop can be a gold mine. I haven't given a dollar in real money to Gamestop this generation...own every console, every new game that I want (my kids want), etc. Just picked up a 2nd X on Pro Day and am sitting on a dozen or so Switch games that I will trade for $400+ this weekend. Always have $500+ in credit, it will be disappointing when they finally go under.
Old 05-22-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting an extra 10% off used product was always the biggest, arguably the only true selling point to their yearly subs. Haven’t had one for years, and I sure wouldn’t pay for one now, especially with a $5 increase.
Old 03-09-20, 05:36 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

https://www.ign.com/articles/reggie-...gling-retailer

Reggie Fils-Aimé Joins GameStop Board of Directors to Help Save the Struggling Retailer

Former Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aimé has joined the GameStop board of directors, the retail company announced today. Fils-Aimé, along with two more new board members, was brought on to help guide the company back to profitability.
“The board refreshment and governance enhancements announced today represent an important milestone in GameStop’s transformation as we continue to evolve the company’s business strategy for long-term success,” said GameStop chief executive George Sherman in a statement.

In a tweet announcing the news Fils-Aimé said, "The gaming industry needs a healthy and vibrant @GameStop. I look forward to being a part of @gamestopcorp Board and helping to make this happen."
Very interesting...
Old 03-09-20, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Wow that is pretty interesting. Maybe he could do some good for them. I feel like they’re just barely hanging on.
Old 03-09-20, 05:57 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Wow that is pretty interesting. Maybe he could do some good for them. I feel like they’re just barely hanging on.
There are tweets going throughout the Twittersphere talking about a series of stripped down GameStop stores that focus on used games and retro games without all of the ThinkGeek filler stuff (Pops, toys, shirts, etc.).
Old 03-10-20, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Should I spend my Gamestop credit now? Was holding on to it to use towards a PS5 this fall.
Old 03-10-20, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All I know is that their earnings were down this past year and they had a bad year in 2018 too. I’ve heard lots of stories about low morale from employees (top level to store employees).

Unless Reggie somehow can get them in shape, but I almost feel like it’s too late. The thing is too it’s just kind of a dying type of retailer unfortunately. A lot of people buy games digitally or can go other places to buy physical games.

A lot of people talk about bad experiences at GameStop, but my local one isn’t horrible and I actually go in there on occasion. The employees at mine aren’t too pushy and are generally helpful enough.
Old 03-10-20, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
All I know is that their earnings were down this past year and they had a bad year in 2018 too. I’ve heard lots of stories about low morale from employees (top level to store employees).

Unless Reggie somehow can get them in shape, but I almost feel like it’s too late. The thing is too it’s just kind of a dying type of retailer unfortunately. A lot of people buy games digitally or can go other places to buy physical games.

A lot of people talk about bad experiences at GameStop, but my local one isn’t horrible and I actually go in there on occasion. The employees at mine aren’t too pushy and are generally helpful enough.
I have had very few really bad experiences at all the various GameStops I go to, but then I'm also savvy enough to not fall for pre-order nonsense or sell back games to them for pennies on the dollar.

In fact, we often get in good with the staff at certain stores, talking about games and stuff and they don't try to pull the wool over our eyes.
Old 03-10-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

This article was written just a month ago:
https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/19/21...sperate-bosses

Lots of interviews from anonymous sources so take that for what you will. However the following is what I found the most annoying, them pivoting to try to buy smartphones from customers.
The company is doubling down on its efforts to find other high-margin activities, such as used hardware. The firm buys old consoles, smartphones, and tablets, and then refurbishes and sells them on, often to distributors overseas.
“If we aren’t hitting these goals, we are getting written up”“Things have changed drastically,” said an assistant manager. “Our district manager is pushing tech trades, like iPhones and tablets, as well as (pre-order) reservations. No one cares about the games, or the customers, anymore. It’s obnoxious.”

Polygon has been shown evidence of target sheets that managers are required to fill out, demonstrating that they have given purchase quotes to 50 customers on their used phones every week, with five leading to a transaction.

“I would rather not ask every customer what kind of phone they have, who their carrier is, and how much memory is on the device in order to quote them (a trade price) while they’re in the store looking for a game,” said an employee.

Another employee said that in their district, failure to hit targets was punished with a warning, with three warnings leading to employment termination.
First off, who in their right mind sells their phone to Gamestop on a whim, without having a replacement in hand? Employees were required to ask like every single person what their phone was to quote a value.
Old 03-10-20, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

They've been buying phones for a while, but I haven't had any of them ask me about buying it.
I was in one in KY a while back and somebody tried to sell one and they wouldn't take it. After they left, another customer mentioned to the clerk something like "that was hot, wasn't it?" and employee didn't agree or disagree, just said he wasn't buying it.
Old 03-10-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Thankfully, the GameStop near me is a pretty good one. They don't bother you asking one hundred questions like to you want to preorder this or that? I can go in and shop without being bugged to death like some of the other GameStop stores do.
Old 03-10-20, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I have some cool employees at some of the Gamestops near me, I'd still rather buy games almost anywhere else.
Old 03-10-20, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t go in there a ton but every now and again. The thing is my options are limited in town anyways. It either Walmart, Target, or GameStop. Like I say my store isn’t bad. The employees are normally decent enough and don’t hassle me or others seemingly. I mean they do their jobs but not annoyingly like you hear about GameStop a lot.

I’ve been in there a few times recently and bought a 3DS game and also because they had some exclusive NECA Ninja Turtles figures I wanted. Also have my copy of Animal Crossing: New Horizons pre-ordered there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.