Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Originally Posted by wtsang
FWIW, I have found that the prices on Media Mail shipping for VG items can be crazy good if you buy the label directly through eBay - and it will show you the price as you're creating the listing, not after you're locked in. I've sold consoles and large joysticks this way and the shipping was not nearly the obstacle I'd expected.

Give it a look if you want.
Neither of those things are valid for media mail so if they inspect your package you will have your package held for weeks and can cause issues with your transaction if you told them it will arrive by a certain time.
Old 11-17-17, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wondered about that, but aren't the postage options that appear based on your listing vetted and set up by eBay in accordance with their postal contract? I rolled with it and never had an issue.

Do you really think there's much chance of them "inspecting" a sealed box with pre-printed postage for the appropriate weight?

Anyway, just a possibility for the guy.
Old 11-17-17, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
I wondered about that, but aren't the postage options that appear based on your listing vetted and set up by eBay in accordance with their postal contract? I rolled with it and never had an issue.

Do you really think there's much chance of them "inspecting" a sealed box with pre-printed postage for the appropriate weight?

Anyway, just a possibility for the guy.
I've had it happen to me twice and both times I lost out on shipping because eventually they just send it back to you and I had to refund the buyer because of the length of time. Using media mail authorizes the USPS to open your package for inspection at any step of the way.
Old 02-10-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YnxE0w9ORgI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-19-18, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Gamestop/ThinkGeek are currently running a clearance sale on old inventory. Their clearance prices though are exactly the same as the regular price, only difference it that it was a clearance tag. Do they really think that people are that stupid?
Old 05-19-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

If they are shopping at Game Stop, why wouldn't they?
Old 05-19-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’ve gotten some decent deals at GameStop in the past. I guess I can’t speak to the current sale and I haven’t stopped into my local store for a while.
Old 05-19-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Gamestop/ThinkGeek are currently running a clearance sale on old inventory. Their clearance prices though are exactly the same as the regular price, only difference it that it was a clearance tag. Do they really think that people are that stupid?
We stopped in today to get a gift card and I asked the clerk if they were discounting of the Magic the Gathering product. She got two of the boxed sets that had those yellow tags with the normal prices on them but when she scanned them they rang up at a lower price. (Didn’t get them as they were still too much).
Old 06-10-18, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

🤦*♂️
Old 06-18-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh my!

(Reuters) - Video game and electronics retailer GameStop Corp (GME.N) is holding talks with private equity firms about a potential transaction after receiving buyout interest, people familiar with the matter said on Monday.
Old 06-19-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

And confirmed by Gamestop.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/19/...selloff-talks/

http://news.gamestop.com/news-releas...-third-parties

GameStop Confirms Exploratory Discussions with Third Parties
GRAPEVINE, Texas, June 19, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GameStop Corp.(NYSE:GME), today confirmed it is in exploratory discussions with third parties regarding a potential transaction. There can be no assurance any agreement will result from these discussions. GameStop does not intend to make any additional comments regarding these discussions unless and until it is appropriate to do so.
Old 06-19-18, 04:08 PM

Just here to say that I agree fully with the thread title. Of the many similar chains that could have won out over GS -- Funcoland, Babbages, EB Games, etc. -- the 'crown' was handed to the absolute worst. Corporate raiders that prey on children and the (willfully?) ignorant. Their practices define 'moral/legal gray area', and oftentimes gross that line.
You couldn't pay me to shop there. Looting their dumpsters can be a fun and interesting time, though.
(Seriously, we've nabbed all sorts of cool stuff, and laid eyes on promo material/documentation that I'm sure wasn't for our eyes.....hmmmm...wonder if I should get pics of said materials at some point, might make a very revealing expose....)
Old 06-19-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We only had Electronics Boutique (EB Games) when I was younger but it was a sad day when they went away.
Old 06-19-18, 09:05 PM
Banned

Um, GameStop IS Funco, Babbages, and EB, guys. Just a succession of specialty names with varying slimy practices, merged gradually into one nasty shambling behemoth. The GameStop name wasn't even slapped on until EB (the last survivor) was finally absorbed, if I have the timeline right.

As for whatever is going on currently: sell it, liquidate it, and good riddance.
Old 06-19-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Hard to lump Babbage's in there. They existed before trade-ins, magazine or store subscriptions, etc. So the customer wasn't assaulted as soon as they walked in the door and later bent over the counter for shitty trade prices. Hell, they let you return games within a week if you didn't like them. A friend of mine abused that policy.

Probably wise to sell at this point. I think discs will still be a mainstay for awhile, but that market is definitely shrinking. Time to get out while the getting is good.
Old 06-19-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I mean "good riddance" means not only a loss of a lot of jobs, but another source of physical videogames biting the dust. TRU is gone already, Best Buy has gotten rid of GCU and has scaled back their media sections for some time. We have digital, and I'm all on board for that, but the death of net neutrality and data limits and whatnot means that it won't all be roses downloaded multiple gigs of games all the time.
Old 06-20-18, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Heck consoles come with tiny drives that fill up with a very little amount of games... and ISP's have tiny data caps preventing a lot of users from downloading much. So digital isn't an option to many.
Old 06-20-18, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I doubt the gaming industry can go 100% digital. The files are freaking enormous and take up so much hard drive space with constant updates. And as mentioned, more ISP are setting data caps.

I don’t own many XBOX One games (25-30 not counting digital), but my hardrive is already 70% full (2 terabytes) and I have to be really choosy on what free XBox games I can actually download from Live every month.

So I still would want a gaming retailer like GameStop to stay in existence, sell discs even though they don’t make everyone happy. I can’t see myself downloading 70GB to 1 terabyte or more game digital downloads on a regular basis.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-20-18 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I never shop at Gamestop or trade anything in, so seeing them go away probably wouldn't affect me. Still, I wouldn't want them to go away completely since as fujishig said, losing another retailer in general is bad for the industry.
Old 06-20-18, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

We have one of the more decent stories about mile from my home. It's very clean and the sales clerks don't hound you to death about pre-ordering crap you don't want or need.

Considering the only place to buy video games would be Wal-Mart, I hope like heck Gamestop doesn't go out of business. Have you ever wanted a game but no one has the key to the game case at Wal-Mart? That's why I refuse to buy a game there.

If someone does happen to have a key, it takes them 20 minutes or more to come over to unlock the case.
Old 06-20-18, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I never shop at Gamestop or trade anything in, so seeing them go away probably wouldn't affect me. Still, I wouldn't want them to go away completely since as fujishig said, losing another retailer in general is bad for the industry.
Agreed... nothing good can come from them closing shop. WE may not like their practices, but to the moms and grandmas out there, it is the place to get their young kids games. One less retailer means Amazon and Walmart have an even tighter grip on everything.
Old 06-20-18, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I've been all digital for years, and havent been to a Gamestop longer than that. No loss for me.
Old 06-20-18, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah, I buy all my games through Amazon and have done so for the last decade.

I just don't want everything to go all digital because lack of drive space on consoles and internet datacaps.

It's a shame as internet gets faster, datacaps get smaller.... and it's all just a money scam. ISPs are charging upwards of $350 a month for just internet... because they force you into bigger plans without notifying you if you hit datacap.
Old 06-20-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I occasionally visit the one near me.

Every time I go in, I wonder why I did that. The store looks like a hoarders basement. Dirty, cluttered and disorganized. I am sure the kids working there know where everything is but it is not a fun place to shop or even browse.
Old 06-20-18, 08:23 AM

The demise of the corporate chains leaves a definite opening for the return of the true gaming stores -- mom & pops local joints. We shall see....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.