Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

But where will I be able to buy my Funko Pops?!?
Old 06-20-18, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
But where will I be able to buy my Funko Pops?!?
Hot Topic
Old 06-20-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But what about when my mall closes?!?
Old 06-20-18, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
But what about when my mall closes?!?
Old 06-20-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I've been all digital for years, and havent been to a Gamestop longer than that. No loss for me.
And how big is your hard drives(s)?
Old 06-20-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm mostly all digital too, but still value having stores around selling physical goods. I added a 1 TB drive in my PS4, and have a 2 TB external drive on my XBox One X. I don't really fret about having to delete games and redownload stuff though.
Old 06-20-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
And how big is your hard drives(s)?
2 TB on my PS4. Got more shit on there than I even have time to play.
Old 06-20-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
Um, GameStop IS Funco, Babbages, and EB, guys. Just a succession of specialty names with varying slimy practices, merged gradually into one nasty shambling behemoth. The GameStop name wasn't even slapped on until EB (the last survivor) was finally absorbed, if I have the timeline right.

As for whatever is going on currently: sell it, liquidate it, and good riddance.
Early Electronics Boutique was great, until the EB Games name change that happened in the early 2000s. This was even before Gamestop took over.
Old 06-20-18, 03:26 PM

EB was the first place that I can remember someone selling me an out of the box game as "New". I have NES boxes from them that are still in the shrink wrap (with no game inside).
Old 06-20-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I just got back from a trip to Canada last week and I noticed a few "EB Games" open there in Downtown Toronto.

The layout is exactly the same as Gamstop, so it's probably just the international counterpart of Gamestop but under a different name.
Old 06-20-18, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Physical games aren't going anywhere. Even if GS were to go, other outlets would emerge to fill the void.

At any rate, talk of a sale isn't likely to lead to its disappearance.. just seizing the opportunity to snipe at this vile and disgusting company.
Old 06-22-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While many might be happy about Gamestop getting sold or possibly going away, I've gotten a lot of physical exclusives through Gamestop over the years. A lot of Indie games on disc that wouldn't have been published if Gamestop wasn't there to provide it. And realize it or not but Amazon price matchs Gamestop on a lot of items as well. Another store goes by the waste side leads to Amazon doing whatever they darn well please and not feeling obligated to price match. Competition is healthy, and no offense but Gamestop is a necessary evil.
Old 06-26-18, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now getting into the comic book business? Sure, why the fuck not

https://io9.gizmodo.com/gamestop-exp...1827109559/amp
Old 06-26-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I assume they already buy a ton of stuff through Diamond, and any exposure comics can get is good in my eyes, but man that's a tough business to be in. Who's going to be curating the order lists and submitting the orders? Each individual store? They're going to either have a minimal selection or they're going to lose a ton of money with unsold stock.
Old 06-26-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Comic book fans seemed to lament the disappearance of comic book spinner racks in drug stores back in the day, seems like this would be a positive and similar.
Old 06-26-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Comic book fans seemed to lament the disappearance of comic book spinner racks in drug stores back in the day, seems like this would be a positive and similar.
But the drug stores had the comic companies over a barrel (which is part of why we no longer have them). Comics were fully returnable, if you didn't sell product or it got mangled or whatever, just tear off the covers and ship them back (similar to how magazines work). If Gamestop is just buying from Diamond, they're going to have a ton of non returnable stock.
Old 06-26-18, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh I don't care about that part, just getting comic books back in more stores that get foot traffic is a nice thing.
Old 06-26-18, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Enlightened_Oaf
The demise of the corporate chains leaves a definite opening for the return of the true gaming stores -- mom & pops local joints. We shall see....
That will most likely not happen due to the gaming industry feeling that selling to mom & pop businesses is more of a shore/hassle logistically than selling to big retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc.
Old 08-01-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

GameStop is ending their PowerUp Rewards Elite Pro program. Existing subscriptions will be honored until they expire, but no renewals and no new subscriptions.

First GCU. Then this. Amazon will probably kill their 20% preorder discount before too much longer.
Old 08-01-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
GameStop is ending their PowerUp Rewards Elite Pro program. Existing subscriptions will be honored until they expire, but no renewals and no new subscriptions.

First GCU. Then this. Amazon will probably kill their 20% preorder discount before too much longer.
I received the email from Gamestop yesterday. I hate they are doing away with it because it has saved me a bunch of money. Mine doesn't end until the middle of November so I still have a few months to use it.
Old 08-12-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

99-Year Old Former GameStop Employee Insists He Was Just Following Orders

HAGUE, Netherlands — On trial for a litany of crimes against humanity, ninety-nine year old former GameStop employee Max Sheehan insisted he was merely following orders from his bosses.

“I know I did terrible things, but I did them because I was scared, hopeless and behind on my pre-order numbers,” said Sheehan testifying in a bulletproof case at the International Criminal Court.

“It was a ruthless system that sucked the humanity out of you and made you a cog in a brutal unstoppable machine,” he added, sobbing. “Anyone who tried to fight back was locked in a storage room and forced to listen to those GameStop promos they play in the store on repeat for hours. That is how they broke us.”

“I can’t even tell you how many moms fell victim to our regime. I hope I am forgiven in the life after this,” he wailed as he slumped against the bulletproof glass. “I was just following pre-orders.”

Sheehan was notorious during his 13-year tenure as a GameStop employee at the Midland Park branch in New Jersey. Nicknamed “The Trade-in Nazi,” legends of his lowball offers for used games were well-known within the North Jersey gaming community.

“One time he asked me if I wanted to pre-order GTA IV and I said no,” testified Brian Robertson, one of many victims to made their way to The Hague to submit testimony in the trial. “He then asked me to step behind the counter and took my hand and ran it up his back. It was littered with wounds from what felt like a whip. I pre-ordered on console and PC. I hope he burns in hell.”

Sheehan, who started working at GameStop in 1999 and stayed with the company until 2012 immediately went into hiding in South America after the extent of his crimes broke out.

“South America is a notorious hiding spot for ex-GameStop employees trying to skirt the law but today shows justice knows no bounds,” lead attorney Patrick Smite said at a press conference outside of court.

“Consider this a warning to all former employees that we are coming and justice will not rest until you are all behind bars or at least give me fair value for my Nintendo 64 because I see you assholes selling them for seventy dollars and you only offered me ten” he added while pounding the podium with his fist.

After being found guilty Sheehan was sentenced to death and was executed at midnight, being buried alive by unsold FunkoPops.
Link
Old 08-12-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

That sounds like a troll report @Michael Corvin. No way would anyone believe that to be true. o.o
Old 08-12-18, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I’m shocked - shocked! - to discover this article about a 99-year-old GameStop employee being tried in an internaional criminal court might not be 100% accurate.
Old 08-12-18, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I’m shocked - shocked! - to discover this article about a 99-year-old GameStop employee being tried in an internaional criminal court might not be 100% accurate.
Old 08-12-18, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Maybe I should have posted the pic of the man in his Gamestop uniform, just so no one was confused.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.