Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

I might actually swing by Gamestop tomorrow. I played that Killing Floor 2 trial and really liked it. It looks like the physical copy is exclusive to their store and it's on sale this week for $20.
Old 03-26-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think it's so simple, otherwise every store around me would be giving 20% off the main thing that they sell just to get me in there.

But yeah their profit comes from used games, hence the whole mandate reported earlier not to sell New when a used one is available. If new games are 20% off, how are they going to sell that used game at 5 to 10 percent off?
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Video games are not the main thing Amazon, Best Buy and Wal-Mart sells.
That's what I'm saying. If it's retail 101 for GameStop to discount new games to get people in store, when that's the main product (new or used) they peddle, thats news to me.
Old 03-28-17, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way they stay in business is to get people to buy from them. That's the simple part. Now how they go about creating traffic in their stores probably isn't simple. If they don't figure it out, they're going to fail.
Old 03-28-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

One observation I have with GS is that it's a cluster-fuck inside. I never feel "comfortable" buying there... almost claustrophobic at times. I just want to get in and get out.
Old 03-28-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I might actually swing by Gamestop tomorrow. I played that Killing Floor 2 trial and really liked it. It looks like the physical copy is exclusive to their store and it's on sale this week for $20.
This was the easiest trip ever. They guy was on the phone on hold the whole time I was there. I did the store pickup so it was ready when I got there. I was in and out in less then two minutes. They didn't even get a chance to try and sell me anything
Old 03-28-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
GameStop is set to close between at least 150 stores following fourth quarter sales declines in almost all of its segments.

The Texas-based company said Thursday that hardware sales declined 29.1%, and new software sales fell by 19.3% for the quarter, CNBC reports. Shares of GameStop then dropped more than 10% in early trading Friday.

GameStop said it expects to close 2-3% of its stores, however it will be opening 65 new Technology Brand stores and 35 Collectibles stores, according to USA Today. The American video game and electronics retailer cited weak sales of particular video game released during the holiday season as well as other retailers using "aggressive" promotional techniques as reasons for the decline.

A spokesperson from GameStop told Fortune that the closure of the stores is part of an "annual strategy" to close up to non-productive stores that was announced more than three years ago. "This is something that will take place throughout 2017," their statement added.

http://fortune.com/2017/03/24/gamest...alflow_twitter
150 stores doesn't seem like very many.

I guess there are areas where they still have 2 stores in the same mall. We still have a two stores a mile apart (one was an EB Games the other a GameStop, before the merger).

I don't buy new games there anymore, because of Best Buy's GCU 20% off benefit. I still get some hardware, or digital codes that I don't get a discount on at BB.
Old 03-28-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
One observation I have with GS is that it's a cluster-fuck inside. I never feel "comfortable" buying there... almost claustrophobic at times. I just want to get in and get out.
I have the same feeling.
Old 03-28-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison
150 stores doesn't seem like very many.

I guess there are areas where they still have 2 stores in the same mall. We still have a two stores a mile apart (one was an EB Games the other a GameStop, before the merger).
Yeah there is way too many of them so I don't see it being that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before but I have over 20 Gamestops within 30 minutes of me. I pass 4 just on my 20 minute drive home from work. Last year or two when I was working on my Wii collection and I would hit up stores when the B2G1 free sales were going on I would have 30 or so stores I would rotate through.
Old 03-29-17, 12:10 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Modern brick and mortar business 101 for companies that have been in the game a while.

Build your business over the years by monopolizing locations around the USA.

Squeeze out or buy up all competition.

Charge the highest price for games, because you can.

Don't give a damn about anything other than keeping your monopoly with locations and game publishers.

Online sales begin to grow, taking away a large group of your audience. Instead of competing hunker down and maintain your massive margins.

Watch digital sales pull away even more of your business.

Instead of trying to seriously compete with amazon, best buy and ebay...and giving customers a reason to buy physical over digital, close your slower stores and start the domino effect that will end in your business going away in 5 to 10 years.

Blame all your problems on digital sales, and ignore the fact that if you got out ahead of places like amazon, ebay and now Best Buy (who is seeing growth) you could have been a player for a long time.
Old 03-29-17, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

that story sounds familiar . . .

Old 03-29-17, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
Absolutely freaking agree. I'm always ready to get out the minute I walk in there. My wife knows I'm a gamer, but she's always amazed by how little time I spend in there and either I come out with something (almost always an exclusive of some sort) or come out with nothing at all. Where as, a Games Plus, Movie Exchange (which also sells games) or some mom & pop video game store, I can spend a good half an hour to an hour just looking at things whether I buy it or not.

I don't want to see these 150 stores go away from Gamestop on a I still buy physical so its important from that sense...but maybe if these stores go away then 25-50 mom & pops will emerge or expand. That's my hope anyway.
Old 03-29-17, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Absolutely freaking agree. I'm always ready to get out the minute I walk in there. My wife knows I'm a gamer, but she's always amazed by how little time I spend in there and either I come out with something (almost always an exclusive of some sort) or come out with nothing at all. Where as, a Games Plus, Movie Exchange (which also sells games) or some mom & pop video game store, I can spend a good half an hour to an hour just looking at things whether I buy it or not.

I don't want to see these 150 stores go away from Gamestop on a I still buy physical so its important from that sense...but maybe if these stores go away then 25-50 mom & pops will emerge or expand. That's my hope anyway.
I feel like I've stepped into some creepy 30 year-old's bedroom - in this parent's basement.
Old 03-29-17, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Old 03-29-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Modern brick and mortar business 101 for companies that have been in the game a while.

Build your business over the years by monopolizing locations around the USA.

Squeeze out or buy up all competition.

Charge the highest price for games, because you can.

Don't give a damn about anything other than keeping your monopoly with locations and game publishers.

Online sales begin to grow, taking away a large group of your audience. Instead of competing hunker down and maintain your massive margins.

Watch digital sales pull away even more of your business.

Instead of trying to seriously compete with amazon, best buy and ebay...and giving customers a reason to buy physical over digital, close your slower stores and start the domino effect that will end in your business going away in 5 to 10 years.

Blame all your problems on digital sales, and ignore the fact that if you got out ahead of places like amazon, ebay and now Best Buy (who is seeing growth) you could have been a player for a long time.
I'm still a little confused how they're supposed to get ahead of Amazon and Best Buy, stores with super low margins and/or have growth mainly in the non game sections. their massive margins are on used games, and even then they get frequently taken advantage of with trade ins by the slick deals/CAG crowd and get loaded up with useless titles.

Unless there are massive margins on new titles at MSRP that I'm unaware of or something.
Old 03-29-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
either I come out with something (almost always an exclusive of some sort) or come out with nothing at all.
Just breaking balls, but are there any other options?
Old 03-30-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Just breaking balls, but are there any other options?
I guess there could be "everything" where I buy out the store because I have mad stacks of cash and want to go crazy. But I don't, and I'd like to stay married as long as humanly possible
Old 04-09-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope no one has shopped online at Gamestop last fall

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/04/...ssible-breach/

“We regret any concern this situation may cause for our customers,” Game Stop said in its statement. “GameStop would like to remind its customers that it is always advisable to monitor payment card account statements for unauthorized charges. If you identify such a charge, report it immediately to the bank that issued the card because payment card network rules generally state that cardholders are not responsible for unauthorized charges that are timely reported.”
Old 04-09-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,197 Likes on 4,224 Posts

"It may look like somebody used your credit card, but we still consider it new and unused"
Old 07-31-17, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Shitty company does shitty thing...

GameStop Will Be Open On Thanksgiving This Year, To Employees' Dismay

Not sure which is worse, a store that would stay open on Thanksgiving, or someone what would be shopping on Thanksgiving.
Old 07-31-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanksgiving is meaningless to me. The food sucks, the kids are always with their mother (because I hate it), and I don't care about NFL.

That said, I'm still not going to go video game shopping, but I would like a nice burrito and some beer out of the house.
Old 07-31-17, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With all the rest of the stores open that day now I can't say I'm too surprised. Sucks for all the employees though.
Old 07-31-17, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's lame that stores have pushed back Black Friday in to Thanksgiving night, it's more lame that Gamestop talked about how great they were before only to reverse course.

That said, i've gone out shopping late Thanksgiving night. After eating, nothing else to do so I guess i'm part of the problem
Old 07-31-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
so I guess i'm part of the problem
Old 07-31-17, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

It’s been a rough year for GameStop, which has seen shares tank as the video game industry embraces the digital market.
Bullshit. People still buy physical copies of games. Gamestop is suffering because their arrogant senior management thought that people would continue to trade games for peanuts and buy used ones for ridiculously high prices when you can trade them for much more and buy them new cheaper at Amazon and Best Buy. Add to that that the traditional malls (where Gamestops are located) are dying across the US.
Old 07-31-17, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think digital certainly plays a huge part though (plus GCU and Prime discounts).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.