DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530617-gamestop-vile-disgusting-part-xxvii.html)

starseed1981 11-25-14 03:03 PM

Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12314027)
Life's gotta be rough if you're an arrogant contrarian with thin skin.

Mwahahaha.

Michael Corvin 11-25-14 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 12314098)
That time Pixy started raving about some Japanese indie game whose title hadn't been translated into English yet. . . #VideoGameTalkClassics

Yeah there was lots of back and forth about indie games vs the blockbusters but IIRC (and unless I'm thinking of someone else) he posted a lot of insider info without providing details or links or anything. Just vague enough to be annoying. That got on a lot of people's nerves, because it bordered on "I know something you don't know! neener...neener!" I think there were a few warnings to either not post the info or provide some links/sources. Pretty sure that was the final straw.

I believe he went back and deleted a couple hundred posts too.

mattysemo247 11-25-14 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12314406)

Same with that Wii U guy. Never understood why some of those guys got their panties in a bunch about some posts in a video game forum.

Music 11-26-14 09:21 AM

Here is an example of extreme silliness with the pricing of digital vs. physical.

MS has Sniper Elite III as part of their online Black Friday deals.

Download $29.99

Physical $19.99

WTF?

chuckd21 11-26-14 09:46 AM

Trying to move stock.

PixyJunket 11-27-14 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12313814)
I do. Vaguely. He got pissed at some dissenting opinions or something and felt ganged up on.

That never happened. Or not to the point of causing me to leave.

The truth was that at the time I was spending all of my free time on internet forums (between something like seven of them).

I made the decision to cut them out of my life except for lurking at one spot for gaming news.

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12314080)
That might make sense; I know there were a few cases where people got mad and deleted threads they started in a fit. I don't recall if Pixy was one of those.

Nope. I never deleted any posts beyond simple stuff, like a duplicate question or something I just decided was better off not saying.

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 12314098)
That time Pixy started raving about some Japanese indie game whose title hadn't been translated into English yet. . . #VideoGameTalkClassics

Interestingly enough, indie games are huge now.

Yeah there was lots of back and forth about indie games vs the blockbusters but IIRC (and unless I'm thinking of someone else) he posted a lot of insider info without providing details or links or anything. Just vague enough to be annoying. That got on a lot of people's nerves, because it bordered on "I know something you don't know! neener...neener!" I think there were a few warnings to either not post the info or provide some links/sources. Pretty sure that was the final straw.

In the situation I was in, it was either be vague or not post. Sorry, that's how these things work.

I quietly spilled the beans on Beyond Good & Evil 2 a decent amount of time before it actually got announced (of course, I might as well not have at this point, haha).

And I was never given a warning or anything like that. Beyond a couple of people being mad I was coyly dripping random bits of information, of course.

Nope.

Decker 11-27-14 11:46 AM

Fair enough. Glad to have you straighten things out. I always appreciated your input (and still follow you on Twitter). Glad to see you back.

:up:

Michael Corvin 11-27-14 11:48 AM

Cool. I must have been thinking of someone else deleting their posts.

I don't think BG&E was ever officially announced. :lol:

chuckd21 11-27-14 12:20 PM

It's a Thanksgiving miracle!

Rob V 11-27-14 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12316023)
Cool. I must have been thinking of someone else deleting their posts.

I don't think BG&E was ever officially announced. :lol:

It was the guy who loved the wii u more than life.

Trevor 11-27-14 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 12316052)

As God is my witness, I thought ..... wait, wrong miracle.

Welcome back (we hope and assume) Pixy!

PixyJunket 11-27-14 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 12316052)

It's a Geometry Wars miracle!

And thanks for the reception to all of yas.

Music 11-27-14 07:32 PM

Pixy! :dance:

Goldberg74 11-27-14 09:11 PM

Hey Pixy! Good to see you chime in again!

fumanstan 11-28-14 09:49 AM

Ears must have been burning :lol:

mndtrp 12-01-14 02:41 PM

I liked Pixy's posts.

Anyway, Gamestop is way off. Aside from the PS+ offerings, and occasional sales, the digital games are similar in price to physical games. Way more similar than I would like, considering I can't trade them back in.

mhg83 12-01-14 03:29 PM

They need to start offering better incentives for going digital like what cod did only one week early access instead of one day early.

fumanstan 01-01-15 01:54 PM

Does GameStop do any sort of price matching? A search online doesn't find too much from them directly, and some old links mention it depends on the store.

I missed the sale they had on Dragon Age at $39.99 not realizing their new ad starts on a Tuesday, and wanted to exchange a present I got for it. It's still cheap at Amazon, and $45 at Target, so i'm curious if they have any sort of official policy on it.

MoviePage 01-01-15 02:24 PM

They don't price match at all.

fumanstan 01-01-15 03:02 PM

Bummer, thanks!

SmackDaddy 01-02-15 07:35 AM

I'm really starting to wonder how much longer they can remain relevant. Having finally picked up a PS4 (GTA V, LoU bundle) I figured I would trade in the PS3 versions of those games along with a few others. I compared trade-in values at Gamestop, Amazon, Best Buy and Walmart. Gamestop was dead last. Wal Mart and Amazon were almost double what they were (Best Buy had decent value, but still fell short). Another plus to trading in with one of the others is you aren't locked in to just games with your credit.

I compared all values at "face" value as I do not belong to the GS or BB gamer clubs, nor were there any of the bonus programs going on at BB or GS. Even so, BB tends to pull even/ahead with Amazon/Wal Mart when they do their 100 or 50% trade in value bonuses. Gamestop still tends to come in last when they do their trade in X number of games and get an extra % credit.

orangecrush 01-02-15 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 12350160)
I'm really starting to wonder how much longer they can remain relevant. Having finally picked up a PS4 (GTA V, LoU bundle) I figured I would trade in the PS3 versions of those games along with a few others. I compared trade-in values at Gamestop, Amazon, Best Buy and Walmart. Gamestop was dead last. Wal Mart and Amazon were almost double what they were (Best Buy had decent value, but still fell short). Another plus to trading in with one of the others is you aren't locked in to just games with your credit.

I compared all values at "face" value as I do not belong to the GS or BB gamer clubs, nor were there any of the bonus programs going on at BB or GS. Even so, BB tends to pull even/ahead with Amazon/Wal Mart when they do their 100 or 50% trade in value bonuses. Gamestop still tends to come in last when they do their trade in X number of games and get an extra % credit.

I'm no great lover of Gamestop, but giving less than ideal values has been their bread and butter for well over a decade. I don't see them losing relevance until Sony and MS go all digital.

Edison 01-02-15 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 12350160)

Best Buy is running a 50% bump right now, and has been since the week of Christmas.

Gamestop overhauled their trade in program back in August getting rid of promotions, and supposedly having higher base values. I have not found this to be much of a factor. I still check BB, WM, and GS for trade values before I trade in anything and usually GS is the lowest of the group.

SmackDaddy 01-02-15 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush (Post 12350163)
I'm no great lover of Gamestop, but giving less than ideal values has been their bread and butter for well over a decade. I don't see them losing relevance until Sony and MS go all digital.

True,

But as more companies start accepting trade-ins, I think It will start to factor in.

cleaver 01-02-15 01:47 PM

I was at a Gamestop where this poor guy worked 5 hours today, 6 yesterday with no help. I wanted to get pissed at him for helping someone get something shipped to their home, especially when he called his mom for his address, with 11 people in line, or when he went over the different flavors of PS3 with the dad and kid one spot in front of me (with 4 99 cent games in hand ready to flip to the MS Store) but I was more impressed with his patience than anything. Apparently they cut back hours this week because fuck all who goes to GameStop right after Christmas I guess.