Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Btw, Steam has been doing this online strategy guide thing for awhile long before GS.
Old 08-31-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Gamestop may be vile, but they have their moments.
I was in this week to trade in my old dslite and a handfull of games. They wouldn't take the ds lite, because it had a crack on the hinge, but they ended up giving me more for just the games than amazon would have for the games + system. I walked out relatively happy. Was weird getting less than $3 for Electroplankton though ... I thought that one was kind of rare and worth a bit more!
Old 09-04-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I know it's too late now, but Best Buy has 100% bonus to all trade in values until early Oct.
Old 09-09-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Gamestop Considering Selling Classic Games from Generations Past

As gaming moves more and more toward digital distribution, it’s a wonder how a company like Gamestop can not only survive in such a climate, but thrive. As Blockbuster goes under, Gamestop is still a huge beacon of video game sales, partially due to their willingness to give the customers what they want, at least most of the time.

They offer trade-in for physical copies of games to be used toward the purchase of newer titles. They have a digital presence online for customers who would rather do business there. And now they have a new idea that’s rather interesting.

Speaking to Polygon, CEO Paul Raines discussed the potential for Gamestop to sell “classic games.” And no, that doesn’t mean Halo 3 or the original Modern Warfare. True cartridge classics that can largely only be found online or in small mom and pop gaming stories that are increasingly going out of business.

“We’ve got them,” Raines explained. “We think there’s a vintage sales opportunity, so we’re accumulating some inventory. It’s a big idea, and there’s a few problems with it. The first one is sourcing the product, the condition, the refurbishment, all that stuff. But there’s a customer for it. And we’re working on some stuff we haven’t announced yet.”

“If you go to eBay and look at all of the gaming stuff that’s on there, it’s unbelievable. Collector’s stuff. We’ve got to be in that business. We will be.”

It’s a novel concept, though it’s unclear how big the market truly is. Yes, there are die hard collectors or those who want to catch up with past titles they either missed playing, or miss playing, but it’s hard to know if carrying and stocking all these games would be worth the effort. Additionally, there’s the problem that most people old enough to want classic games now almost certainly know how to download ROM emulators for them for free. Is having the physical object worth it, or is it the game you seek?

If they did move forward with it, I think they would be wise to make it a purely online venture. Opening separate physical stores seems like a waste, and as most Gamestops are relatively jam packed already, I can’t imagine there’s much room to fit in a “classic gaming” section in most of these stores.

Rather, an online portal would be a streamlined version of purchasing older games that could be a more effective way of doing so than eBay. Obviously, as these games are all ancient at this point, each should come with a money back guarantee if they don’t work. That is, after you blow on them of course.

Would you buy classic games from Gamestop?
Old 09-09-12, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see stores selling these as there's just not alot of space and most people who come are looking for the newer stuff. They couldn't open up a store just for it either as those all close down. the only thing i can see them doing is putting it online and if they do i will check it out as i like owning the older titles as i still have all my systems in working condition (except my original nintendo)
Old 09-10-12, 01:06 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If they're trying to charge close to those lucrative ebay prices they see, they won't get my business.
Old 09-10-12, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
If they're trying to charge close to those lucrative ebay prices they see, they won't get my business.
They've got to get your business. They will get your business.
Old 09-10-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What do they think this is, Funcoland
Old 09-10-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Gamestop sells classic games, that holds no interest for me. Not because I don't like classic games, but because that's the last frontier for the mom&pop type stores. I have a couple of places within driving distance, Game Over in Houston and Player 1 in Friendswood that are fantastic at older games. These places are as rare as can be to begin with (they do good business from what I can tell though), and Gamestop deserves none of that pie. Gamestop can take a supersized SNES cartridge and shove it up their behind.

Furthermore, the only reason they are getting into that market is because the used market is slowly dwindling away thanks to online passes, system measures (still being discussed for nex-gen), and other snags are being implemented. Might as well turn to the systems that still have used material. Of course, part of the reason I'm bitter towards Gamestop is that they were so willing to turn away from last-gen so they could promote current/nex-gen stuff...now they are crawling back. Just like an abusive spouse.

I'll occasionally buy a game from Gamestop (Bejweled 3 was $10 recently)...but my used classic sales will be done through mom&pop for sure.
Old 09-10-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

eh. Between the VC and my SNES, I have all the "classic" games I need. People that are into that market for the games alone have unlimited ways of getting/playing those games. If they're more into "collecting" the cartridges and building a physical "classic library", GS would be their last choice as they would be far to anal for the shitty condition most of those games would be in - you can guarantee that none of their used cartridges would have instruction books, much less the boxes.
Old 09-10-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
If Gamestop sells classic games, that holds no interest for me. Not because I don't like classic games, but because that's the last frontier for the mom&pop type stores. I have a couple of places within driving distance, Game Over in Houston and Player 1 in Friendswood that are fantastic at older games. These places are as rare as can be to begin with (they do good business from what I can tell though), and Gamestop deserves none of that pie. Gamestop can take a supersized SNES cartridge and shove it up their behind.

I'll occasionally buy a game from Gamestop (Bejweled 3 was $10 recently)...but my used classic sales will be done through mom&pop for sure.
I just discovered Game Over a few weeks ago. I was AMAZED at some of the stuff they have there. While I know I'd play with it for a few hours and then never again, I want to buy an old Intellivision so bad, it hurts.
Old 09-10-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
I just discovered Game Over a few weeks ago. I was AMAZED at some of the stuff they have there. While I know I'd play with it for a few hours and then never again, I want to buy an old Intellivision so bad, it hurts.
I would like a Sega CD and Dreamcast personally.

I'm actually contemplating selling them all of my 3do stuff because 1)their 3do stuff is meager at best 2)I haven't touched the system in years (and I have a really nice collection of boxed stuff) and 3)they said they would be willing to take my adult 3do stuff which very few people really want to touch. (Honestly, the adult 3do stuff seems kinda trivial compared to some mainstream games today).

It's honestly not about the money (though it should pull in a couple hundred at least), it's about getting those suckers to find a good home. I have a ton of stuff, so needless to say I will not lose sleep over my dumping of one system and associated games. Outside of SSF2Turbo, Road Rash (this is the hardest one for me to let go) and a couple other odds and ends, the system wasn't that special except for nostalgia reasons.
Old 09-10-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
eh. Between the VC and my SNES, I have all the "classic" games I need. People that are into that market for the games alone have unlimited ways of getting/playing those games. If they're more into "collecting" the cartridges and building a physical "classic library", GS would be their last choice as they would be far to anal for the shitty condition most of those games would be in - you can guarantee that none of their used cartridges would have instruction books, much less the boxes.
This. I'm a collector (currently about 35-40 away from a complete NES collection) and I definitley wouldn't go there for older used titles. Besides, a vast majority of what I would consider "hardcore" collectors are really into flea markets, swap meets and gamegavel.com.
Old 09-10-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man I got a great deal at GameStop yesterday. I took in 2 PS3 dual shock controllers whose buttons were getting a little squishy and traded them in for $42 EACH!! Unbelievable. Base price was $30 and she gave me a 30% bonus for preordering a game for $5 and my power up 10%. So after the $5 preorder I got $79 for the two controllers.

I brought along my 3DSXL from a few weeks ago so I could get the free steel diver game (out of pilot wings). When she returned and resold me the DS she let me apply the $79 credit from the controllers. Just awesome.

Turned around and went straight to best buy and bought 2 new dual shock 3 controllers for $39.99 each. Basically got rid of some old wanky controllers and got two new Dual shocks for the price of the tax.
Old 09-11-12, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe Rock Band 2 was the last time I bought something from Gamestop, so it will be four years this weekend that I haven't given them any money.
Old 09-30-12, 04:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler:
Old 09-30-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Old 03-17-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supposedly gamestop employees will be wearing the following, leading up to the release of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. It may be worth your time to stop in and make fun of them.

Old 03-17-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I wonder if they'll try to get my to buy a game guide in a cheesy, fake Italian accent.
Old 03-17-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if they'll kick their legs wildly to slow their descent after jumping.
Old 08-12-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Extreme GameStop Pricing Leaves Some Fans Calling Scam

GameStop is charging a whopping $90 for used copies of a Wii game—and it's leading some fans to voice some serious suspicions about how it got back in stock.

Xenoblade Chronicles, a Nintendo-published RPG that came out for the Wii in April of 2012, has become something of a collector's item for several reasons: only a limited number of copies were printed, for one, and the game was only sold through GameStop and Nintendo's online store. Copies of the game have proven tough to snag, and although it originally sold for $50, hawkers are getting much more on used game marketplaces like eBay.

And then there's GameStop, which sells pre-owned copies of Xenoblade for $89.99. It's the most expensive used game they've got, not counting bundles.

As of a few weeks ago, however, buying Xenoblade from GameStop was just a pipe dream; the game was impossible to find. But GameStop recently restocked their stores with nothing but pre-owned copies of the game, according to their website and multiple stores. Their supply has increased in some way over the past couple of weeks—as of July 31, you couldn't buy either new or used copies of Xenoblade online, yet today, the new option has been removed, and pre-owned copies are in stock.

I called a bunch of NYC GameStops this morning, and employees at three stores told me that within the past two weeks they received new shipments of used Xenoblades, which they'd happily sell me for $90.

One GameStop source tells us the retailer printed a few thousand copies of the game with no shrink wrap in order to restock their inventory, then labeled them as pre-owned. Reached for comment, a GameStop rep told us they're looking into it. We'll update when they get back to us.

This is ridiculous. It'd be one thing to sell a game for $90 because it's very rare, but when GameStop is the only retailer with access to inventory, and when that inventory has suddenly been restocked, this sort of price inflation is obscene.

Xenoblade is also now heavily promoted on GameStop's website, and the product listing has been updated with all sorts of new info about the game's characters and features.

One Texas-based Kotaku reader said GameStops in his area have also recently received shipments of Xenoblade, and that he bought one this weekend. He says the condition is just like new, and that the included Club Nintendo code was unused.

People on message boards like NeoGAF are reporting similar stories, saying their local GameStops have suddenly received pre-owned copies of the game, and that they feel new. Many also say the included Club Nintendo codes were unused.

Since GameStop is the only retailer to sell this game—it's no longer available in the Nintendo Store—they can control the supply, and price accordingly.

We reached out to Nintendo for comment early this morning, but they haven't gotten back to us. We'll update if they do.

http://kotaku.com/extreme-gamestop-p...cam-1108627828
Old 08-12-13, 07:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Half the time they sell open games as new. This is the first I'm hearing of them selling new games as used.

Also, this is disgusting.
Old 08-12-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

and vile...
Old 08-12-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went to trade in one of my Xbox 360s, and use the credit for my Xbox One preorder. $70 base price, but there's a promo so I received $140. Plus $20 for an extra controller.

I also preordered FIFA 14.

Old 08-12-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I did the same thing last week with my extra PS3. $133 and change. Bought Amazon gift cards with the credit and put it towards my PS4 pre-order.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.