Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Originally Posted by Demontooth
TRU does.
Sarcasm.
Old 11-22-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I picked up a GHWT guitar bundle from Big Lots yesterday. I did not need the game, so I told my wife I would just sell it or trade it in for credit. So she asks what places does trade-ins and I named off a cpl(Blockbuster, GS, Amazon).

I had no intentions to trade it in to GS as I knew I would get nothing for it(plus I rarely shop there anyway) but she took it upon herself to call and see what they would give for it. After the lady from GS told her how much they would give her, she reminded the lady that it was new,sealed as she could not believe the value would be so low. The lady from GS told her to take it to Wal-Mart. My wife told her that we do not scam stores and the lady from GS immediately got off the phone.

1)I knew the trade-in value would not be much, she did not

2)We have heard of ppl taking stuff to WM despite buying it elsewhere, but could not believe that an employee of another store would actually recommend someone do it
Old 11-22-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sarcasm.
Noted
Old 11-22-09, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it says "Resolved", does that mean in favor of the customer filing the complaint, or just that the case has been closed and a decision was made, w/o indicating who won and lost the case?
Old 11-22-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcheckel
Back in the day I never had issues getting games from any of them and you can throw Software Etc. in the batch, they almost always had what I was looking for. And the nice thing about Funco and EB was their used games back in the day were always in good shape and 99% of the time included the manual, since they would pay way less for a game that didn't have it.
Funcoland was the shit. They actually let you try out the game to see if you liked it and to see if the cartridge would freeze up.
Old 11-22-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I miss FuncoLand. They had a fantastic in store selection and even had great prices on NES/SNES/Genesis games on their website.

It was a sad day when they were bought out.
Old 11-22-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
I picked up a GHWT guitar bundle from Big Lots yesterday. I did not need the game, so I told my wife I would just sell it or trade it in for credit. So she asks what places does trade-ins and I named off a cpl(Blockbuster, GS, Amazon).

I had no intentions to trade it in to GS as I knew I would get nothing for it(plus I rarely shop there anyway) but she took it upon herself to call and see what they would give for it. After the lady from GS told her how much they would give her, she reminded the lady that it was new,sealed as she could not believe the value would be so low. The lady from GS told her to take it to Wal-Mart. My wife told her that we do not scam stores and the lady from GS immediately got off the phone.

1)I knew the trade-in value would not be much, she did not

2)We have heard of ppl taking stuff to WM despite buying it elsewhere, but could not believe that an employee of another store would actually recommend someone do it
Not only that but it was from a bundle... Not really going to work taking it to walmart as it says "NOT FOR RESALE", and has no bar code.. The GS employee was apparently a flaming idiot
Old 11-22-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
... I had no intentions to trade it in to GS as I knew I would get nothing for it(plus I rarely shop there anyway) but she took it upon herself to call and see what they would give for it. After the lady from GS told her how much they would give her, she reminded the lady that it was new,sealed as she could not believe the value would be so low. ...
GameStop's around here won't take anything sealed anyway it has to be open already, or they won't take it.
Old 11-22-09, 03:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
^ ditto.

Pretty much when the competition between the smaller video game boutiques dried up and GS was the only one left was when they also just happened to turn to shit.
Gamestop was always shit. They just cared more about profit than customers, which is why they were able to rack up enough cash to buy everyone else out.
Old 11-22-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison
GameStop's around here won't take anything sealed anyway it has to be open already, or they won't take it.
I knew that, but the wife did not. I had no idea she was gonna call them until she was on the phone.
Old 12-02-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

GameStop Falls Most in S&P 500 on Walmart Price Cut (Update1)

Dec. 2 (Bloomberg) -- GameStop Corp. fell the most in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index on concern the world’s largest video-game retailer may be forced to lower prices after Wal-Mart Stores Inc. offered discounts.

Walmart is slashing prices on the top 25 video games by as much as 20 percent through Dec. 24 and GameStop may need to match those reductions to stay competitive, Tony Wible, an analyst with Janney Montgomery Scott LLC, wrote in a note to clients today.

“Many of the GME stores overlap in close proximity to a WMT store as GME has historically sought to benefit from WMT foot traffic,” Wible said, referring to the two companies’ stock tickers.

Grapevine, Texas-based GameStop fell 8.3 percent to $21.87, the lowest price since July 30, at 4 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The stock has risen 1 percent this year, trailing the 23 percent gain in the S&P 500.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...tUG1UVxA&pos=7

<hr>

Ha ha!
Old 12-02-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

What the... Walmart is going to slash prices on the top 25 games? When? Or are they talking about the black friday deals?

Target, Best Buy, amazon, and regional places like Fry's have been slashing new game prices for a while now, and somehow Gamestop, with no pricematching, still gets suckers to buy from them. How is this different?
Old 12-02-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
What the... Walmart is going to slash prices on the top 25 games? When? Or are they talking about the black friday deals?

Target, Best Buy, amazon, and regional places like Fry's have been slashing new game prices for a while now, and somehow Gamestop, with no pricematching, still gets suckers to buy from them. How is this different?
Agreed, I've heard nothing about this, and 20% is nothing compared to most of the sales stores were running over Black Friday. Since gamestop makes most of their money buying and selling used games anyways, I'm not sure how this affects them.

Edit: I found the sale from Kotaku, it's part of a larger article about a $50 gift card for wii purchases

http://kotaku.com/5417022/walmart-sl...=Google+Reader

Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics (Wii) - now $40
Lego Rock Band (Wii) - now $40
Rock Band: Beatles (Wii) - now $40
MySims: Agents (Wii) - now $40
Tekken 6 (Xbox 360 and PS3) - now $50
Madden 2010 (Xbox 360 and PS3) - now $50
WWE 2010 (Xbox 360) - now $50, WWE 2010 (Wii) - now $40
Batman Arkham Asylum (Xbox 360) - now $50
Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) - now $50
Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360) - now $50
Halo 3:ODST (Xbox 360) - now $50
Uncharted 2 (PS3) - now $50

Are average consumers and the analysts that out of touch that these discounts cause another companies stock to drop? I could have gotten prices better than these without any effort over the past weekend. Alot of these games were $35-$40 at multiple stores, not $50.

Last edited by msdmoney; 12-02-09 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
What the... Walmart is going to slash prices on the top 25 games? When?
Yes, that is what they mean, not just "Black Friday" limited-time sale specials, but actually cutting down the regular prices on top-selling titles...

I just got the new Walmart ad, and there is one page devoted to lowered game prices....they show (all 360 except for Madden): Need For Speed Shift, Forza 3, Batman: AA, Halo ODST, Left 4 Dead 2, and Madden 10 all with "rollbacks" to $50 each (was $59.96)....they also show (all on Wii): Toy Story Mania, My Sims Agents, Smackdown Vs Raw 2010, Tiger Woods PGA Adultery Tour 10, Need For Speed Nitro, and Lego Rock Band all with rollbacks to $40 each (was $49.96).....
Old 12-02-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by msdmoney
Are average consumers and the analysts that out of touch that these discounts cause another companies stock to drop? I could have gotten prices better than these without any effort over the past weekend. Alot of these games were $35-$40 at multiple stores, not $50.
You know, sadly, I think the answer to this question is yes. I believe the stock also dropped when Amazon announced their trade in program. Not sure about Toys R Us or Best Buy's programs though...

Often times, I read analyst reports that are so out of touch that I often wonder how they got their 6 figure paying jobs, and investor feedback that makes me wonder why they invested in a company or brand they know nothing about. And let's not even talk about the average consumer.
Old 12-02-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Apples and oranges. You're talking about very specific sales that were at a specific time of day on a specific day of the week. With thousands of locations Wal-Mart is offering all the hit games of the season 20% every day for the next 3 weeks for anyone who comes in the store. That's a pretty big deal.

If Wal-Mart offers Mario for $40 new while the GS next door is selling the used copy for $45, Wal-Mart gets the sale. GS has been leeching off Wal-Mart traffic for years, it's interesting to see them try and put up a fight now.
Old 12-03-09, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Apples and oranges. You're talking about very specific sales that were at a specific time of day on a specific day of the week. With thousands of locations Wal-Mart is offering all the hit games of the season 20% every day for the next 3 weeks for anyone who comes in the store. That's a pretty big deal.

If Wal-Mart offers Mario for $40 new while the GS next door is selling the used copy for $45, Wal-Mart gets the sale. GS has been leeching off Wal-Mart traffic for years, it's interesting to see them try and put up a fight now.

Yeah, I guess it is different that the sale is for three weeks instead of just one day or a couple days. But I guess this pricing just doesn't strike me as that extraordinary, seems like standard weekly ad pricing for any of the major stores. And you're right, it will hit gamestop where it hurts on games that people would buy for $5 less used.

Last edited by msdmoney; 12-03-09 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-03-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

GME has historically sought to benefit from WMT foot traffic
LOL stolen games.
Old 12-03-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

By the way for those who trade in games I cannot recommend Amazon.com enough. I placed 22 games up for sale one night, and by the middle of the next day 14 had sold. I'm talking about selling, not trading into amazon.
Old 12-03-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Alot of these games were $35-$40 at multiple stores, not $50.
And a lot of them were doorbusters that ran for a few hours. Wal-Mart is dropping the price through December 24th. I don't have to hover over an Amazon link or check a forum to see if I can get in on a deal for the 2 hours it's active.

The drop in price is not news, but the world's largest retailer selling discounted video games throughout the holiday season (not a sale of a day or a few hours) is news.
Old 12-03-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

But I guess this pricing just doesn't strike me as that extraordinary
When's the last time Amazon ran a Gold Box deal for three weeks?
Old 12-03-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

I also don't see the big deal about the Walmart sales. Even outside of Black Friday sales, Target has had games like Dragon's Age, Borderlands, and Left 4 Dead 2 at 45 bucks (a couple weeks ago) and this week $40, all week. There is sufficient stock as well. Not to mention amazon matching them. Now if this is a new Walmart policy to discount all top selling games going forward, that's something else, but a 3 week sale right before Xmas?

I realize Walmart is much bigger than Target, but how did these significantly cheaper sales not do anything to Gamestop's stock?
Old 12-03-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to Walmart yesterday and noticed a ton of games $10-$20 less than what they usually go for and wondered just what in the world was going on. That explains it I guess.
Old 12-03-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
When's the last time Amazon ran a Gold Box deal for three weeks?
I said the prices weren't extraordinary not the duration of the sale. If amazon had games at these prices in a gold box, I'd say meh. It's pretty common for amazon to sell $60 games for closer to $50 as an every day price.

Maybe the most recent sales were a bad example, but the point still stands. As fujishig pointed out, some of these games are on sale in a weekly ad from a major retailer for lower than this.
Old 12-03-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
GameStop Falls Most in S&P 500 on Walmart Price Cut (Update1)

Dec. 2 (Bloomberg) -- GameStop Corp. fell the most in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index on concern the world’s largest video-game retailer may be forced to lower prices after Wal-Mart Stores Inc. offered discounts.

Walmart is slashing prices on the top 25 video games by as much as 20 percent through Dec. 24 and GameStop may need to match those reductions to stay competitive, Tony Wible, an analyst with Janney Montgomery Scott LLC, wrote in a note to clients today.

“Many of the GME stores overlap in close proximity to a WMT store as GME has historically sought to benefit from WMT foot traffic,” Wible said, referring to the two companies’ stock tickers.

Grapevine, Texas-based GameStop fell 8.3 percent to $21.87, the lowest price since July 30, at 4 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The stock has risen 1 percent this year, trailing the 23 percent gain in the S&P 500.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...tUG1UVxA&pos=7

<hr>

Ha ha!

Love it! Gamestop hasn't got my business since last summer. They rarely run any used games sales anymore, and their coupons are pure crap now. The used game market is the only reason to buy from them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.