Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
Exactly... a brick? Where'd you find a brick. I stabbed the window with my knife (trying to throw it). I thought the Asian dude was going to come out and make fun of me.
I found a hamburger on the ground and threw that through the window.

Too funny.
Old 05-03-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler:
Oh, I know I mentioned this earlier, but it was Ivan I killed, not Roman.

Last edited by nateman; 05-03-08 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-03-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the spoiler.
Old 05-03-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
I found a hamburger on the ground and threw that through the window.

Too funny.
I tried throwing the brick and it just bounced off the window, so I just shot it!

Also, have any of you seen the Ricky Gervais stand up show in GTA4 yet? It's pretty good, if you haven't seen it yet go to the "Split Sides". It's on the middle island, in the middle of the island (look at the the map). It really is Gervais! Sorry if this has been posted but we have a few pages before this.

I would love it if they released each radio station as a podcast/MP3. At a guess each channel is like an hour worth of material on a loop. I would love to listen to one without the noise of the car etc.
Old 05-03-08, 03:03 PM

Question/Problem

How long does it take for the mandatory install to finish and into the game?? I've been sitting here waiting and for more than 10 minutes, nothing, just stuck at the 'Starting a new game...' screen.
Old 05-03-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As per my post, sign out of PSN.
Old 05-03-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
For people that don't like how the cars handle:

There's a "Turismo" parked in Michael's driveway that is accessible early in the game (it's the last house on the right in that community next to the rollercoaster), and it handles like a dream. It's super-fast, and turns on a dime - I keep one in my parking space at all times - sometime two, when I don't think I'll be able to keep one.
Old 05-03-08, 04:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, I was stymied by the "throw the brick through the window" mission as well. The game tells you to "find something to throw through the window" and "helpfully" provides trash cans right near by. I wanted to get all Mookie on that dude's store, but all I could do was knock them over. Apparently, Niko doesn't have opposable thumbs.
Old 05-03-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

awesome went back to blockbuster and they had a rental copy in stock, played for a few hours so far no freeze ups or anything!
Old 05-03-08, 05:34 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Finished the single player storyline about 15 minutes under 30 hours. I didn't even realize how fast cabs where and start using them until I was through 75% of the story. There are two endings to the game, dependent on a specific choice at the end. Both are mildly satisfying, although I wish more of the earlier choices came into play at the end.

I'm working on finding random characters and the police missions now. I've tracked down the majority of the most wanted characters. Boy, there is one hell of a random citizen to find in the final island. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but go pick up the northern most guy on the leftmost island to get creeped out.

Last edited by Flay; 05-03-08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-03-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
So question, if you run out of ammo in one of the guns outside of the handgun, do you lose it? My Uzi disappeared from my inventory twice when I ran out of ammo, saved game and came back. I had to go rebuy it.
Old 05-03-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm really frustrated with this game right now. When I tried to play it the game refused to load and just kept getting stuck on the loading screen. I ended up having to delete my save and go back to an older one that caused me to repeat two missions. Then I get stuck on some mission where I have to chase someone. I can not drive the fucking cars in this game and never can catch the guy. Finally on the fifth try I get lucky and catch him and the game locks up completely when I take him out. I had to completely power off and reboot my PS3.

Really don't know if I'm going to have the patience to keep going. The bad driving controls I can deal with, but combined with the instability of the game it is pushing my patience past the limit. I'll take a break for today and try again tomorrow. I'm enjoying the story and most of the stuff in the game, but when cars flip over constantly when turning a corner and the game takes a dump at the worst moments it is hard to stay interested in the story.
Old 05-03-08, 06:10 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Here's a handy checklist for those striving for 100%: http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8...ecklisted9.jpg

Originally Posted by Deftones
So question, if you run out of ammo in one of the guns outside of the handgun, do you lose it? My Uzi disappeared from my inventory twice when I ran out of ammo, saved game and came back. I had to go rebuy it.
Yes, you lose it. Wait until you have to buy the $15,000 rocket launcher over again. The Uzi is chump change by comparison. Why haven't you swapped it out for the MP4 yet? Just curious.

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm enjoying the story and most of the stuff in the game, but when cars flip over constantly when turning a corner and the game takes a dump at the worst moments it is hard to stay interested in the story.
How are you flipping cars on corners constantly? I rarely, if ever, flipped a car on a corner. Are you using the brake / handbrake at all?

Last edited by Flay; 05-03-08 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-03-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Sigh.

I really wish I could complete/finish/get further than I am on this game, but I keep getting sucked into the multiplayer..
Old 05-03-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I'm really digging the game and all, but there's some shit in here that's just flat-out broken:

I hail a cab, and get the icon to press Y to ride as a passenger, I do so, and it makes me jack the cab instead - this happens several times, so I'm leery each time I try to hail a cab.

I'm about to jack a car, so I make sure to look for cops first - I twirl the camera around and no cops, but the second I jack the car, a cop magically appears right behind where I set the camera, and were there was no cop at all just a literal second earlier.

I was in a police car, and I'm supposed to press the left bumper to activate the cop-car computer, but instead, Niko busts out the window and starts shooting, which wouldn't be too big a problem, but there was a foot-patrol cop next to me who saw me shooting, and now I'm wanted right in the middle of the mission. After I loose the cops I try the bumper thing again, and now it works - why didn't it work before? I was stopped all the same, and the on-screen instructions said the left bumper would do one thing, when it really did another.

Similarly, in another mission, also in a cop car, I'm supposed to use my siren to pull people over. It tells me to press the left thumb-stick to activate the siren. I do so, but I just get the horn - they get away, I have to restart the mission, but now the siren works... why the fuck didn't it work the first time? Because this fucking game is broken!

And I have at least a dozen more examples like the ones above, and I'm only about 20% done with the game. Also, FWIW, I haven't had a single freeze or any problems like that.
Old 05-03-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just got the game and have only done a few missions but...

Why does it seem like the health meter can never be 100% full green? No matter what I eat, it only fills up 50%.
Old 05-03-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I just got the game and have only done a few missions but...

Why does it seem like the health meter can never be 100% full green? No matter what I eat, it only fills up 50%.
The other half is for your body-armor (for when you find or buy some).
Old 05-03-08, 06:54 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by slop101
I hail a cab, and get the icon to press Y to ride as a passenger, I do so, and it makes me jack the cab instead - this happens several times, so I'm leery each time I try to hail a cab.
It doesn't say to "press Y". It says to "Hold Y". Just tapping Y will always make you jack a car regardless of anything on the screen.

I was in a police car, and I'm supposed to press the left bumper to activate the cop-car computer, but instead, Niko busts out the window and starts shooting, which wouldn't be too big a problem, but there was a foot-patrol cop next to me who saw me shooting, and now I'm wanted right in the middle of the mission. After I loose the cops I try the bumper thing again, and now it works - why didn't it work before? I was stopped all the same, and the on-screen instructions said the left bumper would do one thing, when it really did another.
You have to be at a complete stop. Not just laying off the gas, but completely stopped. Also, don't hold down LB. Just tap it. If for any reason the car is still rolling, you won't fire off any rounds as Niko takes a second to aim the gun.

Similarly, in another mission, also in a cop car, I'm supposed to use my siren to pull people over. It tells me to press the left thumb-stick to activate the siren. I do so, but I just get the horn - they get away, I have to restart the mission, but now the siren works... why the fuck didn't it work the first time? Because this fucking game is broken!.
That one sounds like a real glitch.
Old 05-03-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flay
How are you flipping cars on corners constantly? I rarely, if ever, flipped a car on a corner. Are you using the brake / handbrake at all?
When chasing guys at high speed they take the corner fast and I try to follow and either slam into a wall or roll the car. I've had trouble with most of the cars in the game. I've tried regular brake, emergency brake, no brake I just can't drive the cars in this game. I have yet to catch anyone in this game. The only missions with chasing I can pass are ones where the guy you are chasing stops at some point and waits for you to come and kill them. I did catch the guy on the last try and rammed him into a bunch of traffic, but doing that caused the game to freeze so I still ended up losing.
Old 05-03-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Okay, I'm really digging the game and all, but there's some shit in here that's just flat-out broken:

I'm about to jack a car, so I make sure to look for cops first - I twirl the camera around and no cops, but the second I jack the car, a cop magically appears right behind where I set the camera, and were there was no cop at all just a literal second earlier.

Similarly, in another mission, also in a cop car, I'm supposed to use my siren to pull people over. It tells me to press the left thumb-stick to activate the siren. I do so, but I just get the horn - they get away, I have to restart the mission, but now the siren works... why the fuck didn't it work the first time? Because this fucking game is broken!

And I have at least a dozen more examples like the ones above, and I'm only about 20% done with the game. Also, FWIW, I haven't had a single freeze or any problems like that.
You have to hold Y to take a cab. Pressing it just jacks the car, as you well know.

You have to be stopped to use the police computer, otherwise you will shoot.

Sometimes I don't see cops but they appear. Maybe someone called 911 or they heard you, or a cop came around a corner. I just have theories like that and don't let it bother me.

As for the horn/siren....hold for horn, press for siren.
Old 05-03-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't help you with most of your issues, but this one is simple:

Just pressing Y wont get the job done. You need to walk up to the cab and press, and hold down, the Y button to get in as a passenger.

And as a side note, as a driver, when you decide to get out of a car hold down the Y button instead of tapping it and he'll apply a hand break, get out of the car, and then shut the door and lock it. I assume this is to keep random people on the street from taking your vehicle.
Old 05-03-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
Thanks for the spoiler.
Fixed.
Old 05-03-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One question for the PS3 players. 50% of the time when I quit out of the game from the home menu the PS3 seems to freeze for a second or two and then boots up like it does at start up instead of going to the XMB. Is this happening to anyone else?

I've never had that happen with any other game and I'm trying to figure out if all my problems are related to the game or maybe my PS3 is starting to fail. I have the 60GB which seems to be the problem one for this game.
Old 05-03-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
I can't help you with most of your issues, but this one is simple:

Just pressing Y wont get the job done. You need to walk up to the cab and press, and hold down, the Y button to get in as a passenger.

And as a side note, as a driver, when you decide to get out of a car hold down the Y button instead of tapping it and he'll apply a hand break, get out of the car, and then shut the door and lock it. I assume this is to keep random people on the street from taking your vehicle.
It would be cool if random people actually stole your car on the street. All the reviews of this game talked about all the interactivity from the people on the street but it's exactly the same as PS2 versions. The people aren't any more smart.
Old 05-03-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flay
It doesn't say to "press Y". It says to "Hold Y". Just tapping Y will always make you jack a car regardless of anything on the screen.
I think you're right.
You have to be at a complete stop. Not just laying off the gas, but completely stopped. Also, don't hold down LB. Just tap it. If for any reason the car is still rolling, you won't fire off any rounds as Niko takes a second to aim the gun.
Nope, I was at a complete stop - I even made sure after he busted out the window, then I pressed it again (a tap), and he started shooting.
That one sounds like a real glitch.
There's been a few - I'll try to recall them - they'll probably happen again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.