Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Old 05-01-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
What?
I cannot get to single player because it does not recognize that I am signed in with my gamertag for the XBox 360. I get a screen that gives me the options of signing on or not, but pressing either button does nothing.

Only when I have accepted an invite into multiplayer to play (and it shows my gamertag) am I in the game. However, when I get kicked from the server for some reason it allows me to back into single player.
Old 05-01-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird, I hope they fix these online problems soon.
Old 05-01-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Other than not being able to find a game before 10p, I haven't had a problem online.

Well, other than causing me to lose sleep...
Old 05-01-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I was able to join two Team Death Matches yesterday with my PS3 before everything went kaput again.

What I did get to play was really fun, even though I really had no idea who I was supposed to kill first, the cops or the other team.

Can't wait to get back online, though, and try out some of the other modes.
Old 05-01-08, 01:43 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The case of the game says its 1080p

its not?
Old 05-01-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris

its not?

All games say that.

It's 720p on 360 and 630p on PS3.
Old 05-01-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its not?
From what I read, it's not even 720p
Old 05-01-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flay
Jesus Christ Monkey Balls! I finished Three Leaf Clover for Packie, quite possibly the best mission in the game so far (35% done). Don't read the following unless you have finished it:

Spoiler:
That was the best video game reenactment of the bank shootout in Heat that I've ever played. The way the sound of those massive assault rifles was bouncing off the surrounding buildings perfectly matched the same feeling and the escape through the subway was TENSE! I barely escaped the 5 star fracas with a smidgen of life in a police cruiser down to two good wheels.
I just did that mission last night, it was amazing. The missions get a lot better half way through when you start making more friends. It goes from "Go to point A, something goes wrong, fix it." to much more cinematic set-pieces.
Old 05-01-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. Really unofficial, but 360voice tracks games played in a given day by their users. Yesterday, GTA IV moved into the 2nd single-most played game in one day record. The Halo 3 launch had 5k more.

Yesterday:
1 GTA IV
33,010 gamers ( 580)
2 Call of Duty 4
5,067 gamers ( -562)
3 Halo 3
3,899 gamers ( -187)
4 Rock Band
1,790 gamers ( -224)
5 Guitar Hero III
1,381 gamers ( -5)
Old 05-01-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How the hell does Rockstar Social Club work if there's no place to link your gamertag to it?
Old 05-01-08, 02:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
How the hell does Rockstar Social Club work if there's no place to link your gamertag to it?
"Edit Profile"
Old 05-01-08, 02:52 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After you setup an account, there's someplace where you can link your gamertag (it will take you to a page to login with your Live user/pass), but it won't actually link up until you play GTAIV while logged in.
Old 05-01-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've still never seen this mythical somewhere where you link your tag.
Old 05-01-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've still never seen this mythical somewhere where you link your tag.
I just had to click the sign in button and because i used my ghetto hotmail as my GT email address, it linked up nicely.
Old 05-01-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts
REALLY stupid question: How the F do I get online and play on Live? I cannot figure out where in the menu you can choose to play on Live...
Old 05-01-08, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V
REALLY stupid question: How the F do I get online and play on Live? I cannot figure out where in the menu you can choose to play on Live...
you can find it in the cellphone menu.
Old 05-01-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The issues about controls are ridiculous. These aren't supposed to be racecars, they're supposed to be street cars, and there's not much point in having a variety of cars in the game if they all perform the same.

What happens in GTA is about what you'd expect to happen if you hopped in a Honda Civic or somebody's shitty old Buick, slammed the pedal to the floor on city streets, and tried to take a turn at 70mph.

As is always the case in GTA, once you get access to better cars, they are easier to drive, but you generally want to slow down to take a turn.
Old 05-01-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
The issues about controls are ridiculous. These aren't supposed to be racecars, they're supposed to be street cars, and there's not much point in having a variety of cars in the game if they all perform the same.

What happens in GTA is about what you'd expect to happen if you hopped in a Honda Civic or somebody's shitty old Buick, slammed the pedal to the floor on city streets, and tried to take a turn at 70mph.

As is always the case in GTA, once you get access to better cars, they are easier to drive, but you generally want to slow down to take a turn.
I agree with what you're saying, but some other aspects of the game are decidedly less realistic - the hand to hand fighting being a good example.

Some people have already said they don't want "reality" when they play a game like this. I can see their point, but for me the closer it is to reality, the more I can enjoy the mayhem I would (probably) not do in real life.
Old 05-01-08, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I cannot get to single player because it does not recognize that I am signed in with my gamertag for the XBox 360. I get a screen that gives me the options of signing on or not, but pressing either button does nothing.

Only when I have accepted an invite into multiplayer to play (and it shows my gamertag) am I in the game. However, when I get kicked from the server for some reason it allows me to back into single player.
This happened to me too - but because I had another controller turned on. I simply turned off the other controller and I was good to go.
Old 05-01-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Cheat modes for GTAIV:

Spoiler:
While playing the game, press Up to display Niko's cellphone. Press Up again to access the keypad. Then, enter one of the following codes to activate the corresponding cheat function. Once a code has been entered correctly, a new "Cheats" menu option will be available on your phone, below "Options", where you can access the cheats without having to enter the phone number again. Note: Do not save the game after enabling a code to avoid unforeseen problems. Enabling some cheats may prevent achievements from being earned.

Full health
Dial "3625550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "DOC-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets", "Finish Him", "One Man Army", and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Full health and ammunition
Dial "4825550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "GTA-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Weapons tier 1
Dial "4865550100" into the cellphone. This will unlock the baseball bat, handgun, shotgun, MP5, M4, sniper rifle, RPG, and grenades. Note: This phone number translates to "GUN-555-0150". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Weapons tier 2
Dial "4865550150" into the cellphone. This will unlock the knife, Molotov cocktails, handgun, shotgun, Uzi, AK47, sniper rifle, and RPG. Note: This phone number translates to "GUN-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Remove Niko's wanted level
Dial "2675550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "COP-555-0100". This code prevents the "One Man Army" and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Add one star to Niko's wanted level
Dial "2675550150" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "COP-555-0150".

Spawn Annihilator police helicopter
Dial "3595550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "FLY-555-0100". This code prevents the "One Man Army" and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Spawn Cognoscenti
Dial "2275550142" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0142".

Spawn Comet
Dial "2275550175" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0175".

Spawn FBI Buffalo
Dial "2275550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0100".

Spawn Jetmax
Dial "9385550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "WET-555-0100".

Spawn NRG-900
Dial "6255550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "MBK-555-0100".

Spawn Sanchez
Dial "6255550150" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "MBK-555-0150".

Spawn SuperGT
Dial "2275550168" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0168".

Spawn Turismo
Dial "2275550147" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0147".

Change weather and brightness
Dial "4685550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "HOT-555-0100".

Map locations
Enter "www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com" into the in-game computers to view maps that reveal all weapon, health, armor, vehicle, pigeon, ramp/stunt, and entertainment locations.

Easy money
Go to an ATM, then cause a traffic jam to the area. Wait for someone to take money from the ATM, then kill him or her. Make sure to block any nearby roads so the ambulance cannot get to the murdered victim. Take the money they dropped on the ground. Then, run a short distance away, and go back. The money should have respawned on the ground. You can repeat this as many times as desired. You can also kill more people taking their money from the ATM to increase the amount of money that respawns. -From: Khairol161

Repairing engine
If the vehicle you are driving breaks down and the engine will not start, call 911, and your engine should start again.

Parking more vehicles
Outside your first hideout is a small parking area to park your vehicles and save them. Instead of parking your vehicles fully within the lines, you can park your vehicles partially within the lines to allow for more vehicles to be parked and saved. -From: Zane

Fast travel
To avoid wasting time driving all the way across the city, call a taxi. They will take you to your destination for your mission, stores, safehouses, or even a waypoint marker. You can skip through the taxi ride, allowing you to travel across the entire city in about ten seconds. This can also be done during missions.

Easy headshots
It is sometimes difficult to get headshots, which do count. With some practice, doing the following is an easy way to get headshots. Press [Auto-Aim], then use the Right Analog-stick to move the auto-aim target around your victim's body. Barely move the Right Analog-stick as you are shooting. This puts bullets in the chest and head, and results in an easy instant kill.

Getting away from police
When running away from the cops, you will have a circular area in which they look for you. However, if you get out and another cop sees you, it changes. To use this to your advantage, barely get out of that circle, which you will see on your radar. Then, just sit there for about five seconds instead of flooring past it.

Regaining health during missions
You can leave the mission area and go to a Cluckin' Bell, hotdog stand, etc. and eat food to replenish your health if you are low and cannot find a health pack. This is especially useful on missions where there are no health packs in

sight. Note: You can also take a taxi to those locations during missions.

Avoiding toll booths
Drive through any toll booth with any emergency vehicle with the sirens on. The booth attendant will open the gate, and you will save $5.

$100 for all ringtones and themes
After getting the phone from Playboy X, go to the nearest Internet cafe. Buy all of the ringtones and themes from the ringtones site. Log out of the computer, and you will notice that you only paid $100 for all ringtones and themes.
Old 05-01-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I agree with what you're saying, but some other aspects of the game are decidedly less realistic - the hand to hand fighting being a good example.

Some people have already said they don't want "reality" when they play a game like this. I can see their point, but for me the closer it is to reality, the more I can enjoy the mayhem I would (probably) not do in real life.
Yeah, I'm definitely fine with a certain level of realism. I do like the car controls. Even initially I didn't think they were bad. I wouldn't want it to be completely realistic, though. Like if you got into an accident and the car's airbag broke your nose and you had a bunch of recovery time, etc.

Usually I'm happy with the things Rockstar tries to make unrealistic. Like in San Andreas I didn't mind that you could become super-buff after only going to the gym three or four times, never needing to set foot in the gym again.
Old 05-01-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And here's a stupid question. How do you save the game? It looks like there are a bunch of save slots, but I couldn't see any way to use any of them. Does it just autosave periodically?
Old 05-01-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GoVegan
And here's a stupid question. How do you save the game? It looks like there are a bunch of save slots, but I couldn't see any way to use any of them. Does it just autosave periodically?
It autosaves after every mission. Otherwise you need to go to the Safehouse to save.
Old 05-01-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ha! I think that's one of the first things they tell you in the game. I guess I wasn't really payaing attention because I was too anxious to hit the streets. Thanks!
Old 05-01-08, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It autosaves after every mission. Otherwise you need to go to the Safehouse to save.
The autosave after completing a mission is so much better than running to a safehouse. Smart move Rockstar!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.