Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Old 04-30-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
You'll understand why later.

Stick with it - the story gets a lot better, and then it gets great - but like any good story, it's all about the characters, which is what excels here.

I disagree, big time. Yeah, there's a lot of lame juvenile stuff, but there's also some brilliant satire and just plain funny things - look around and listen more.

(you forgot the TV station) Everything you mentioned is quite a bit of stuff actually, and you get even more places to go and things to do as the game progresses - it doles each thing a little at a time, instead of hitting you with everything you can do all at once.

The graphics are all about scale - and as for the darkness, there are brightness and contrast sliders that let you adjust that, and make the game way bright if you wish.

Driving certain cars feels like crap, but there are other cars (most of them, actually) later in the game that control great, and can turn on a dime.

Since I pretty much addressed all your criticisms, do you now understand the praise it gets?
Glad to hear it gets a lot better. I'm used to games kicking ass from the start like Bioshock, COD 4, etc.
Old 04-30-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Played it for an hour or so tonight and I'm definitely enjoying it. I'm getting better at the car controls and I just turned the brightness and contrast up until I could actual see the freaking game. Looks like they made it this dark to hide just how bad the graphics are.

I really don't care too much though as graphics have never really mattered to this series. I've had some fun. Set a guy on fire in his convertable and watched him jump out and roll on fire down the freeway. I'm also liking the missions so far, but I'm very early on those. I'm not digging the pool, bowling and darts, but I can skip that anyway. The TV and live shows are pretty good though.
Old 04-30-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone with a PS3 actually been able to play multiplayer?? I've been trying to get on since yesterday with no luck!
Old 04-30-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
Seriously tired of hearing people bithcing about the controls to the GTA games the scheme is different and takes awhile to get used to. And by the way does anyone think it easy to go full bore down a busy street in NYC and the fly around a corner using the handbrake crap the are hard but not because they suck it feels more like its somewhat real
No it's not because of realism, it's called control response.
Old 04-30-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you go with Michelle to play darts? When i tried to go to the bar with darts, I ended up just getting loaded, not even having the option for darts?
Old 04-30-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
How do you go with Michelle to play darts? When i tried to go to the bar with darts, I ended up just getting loaded, not even having the option for darts?
Right as you walk in, immediately to the right is the dart board. Press LB to start.
Old 04-30-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe last time it was because I hadn't played with Roman. i walked into the bar icon, and the next thing was i was drunk.
Old 04-30-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Are we playing the same game? The only thing I can agree with you is the game being too dark.
I'm beginning to wonder if most of the people here are playing the same game we are....
Old 04-30-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Michelle is so annoying, I want to beat the hell out of her but I don't want to hurt my progress. I've been bangin her after every date, so I guess that'll show her.
Old 04-30-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing i do immediately after getting into a car is turn on the brights (hold X)

That makes it a bit easier to drive. I noticed when I was running on the rooftops that it was still too dark, so I bumped the contrast a bit as well.
Old 04-30-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed watching an animated Ricky Gervais stand-up act on the TV and then the Republican Space Rangers (or whatever it's called). I was laughing out loud at some of that stuff.
Old 04-30-08, 10:31 PM

Is taking a helicopter tour open from the get go or do I have to wait for it to open up?

Heh heh, had an awesome 11 min SIX star wanted level on accident. I took a car on the train tracks and got too close to the other islands. They couldn't find me in the train bridge and I eventually out ran them.
Old 04-30-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by badlieut
I enjoyed watching an animated Ricky Gervais stand-up act on the TV and then the Republican Space Rangers (or whatever it's called). I was laughing out loud at some of that stuff.
I don't care, but you probably want to put some spoiler tags around that celebrity appearance.
Old 04-30-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 299 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
Michelle is so annoying, I want to beat the hell out of her but I don't want to hurt my progress. I've been bangin her after every date, so I guess that'll show her.
I shot her point blank in the face with a shotgun, and it just cuts to a quick cinema of her saying "if you going to act like that, I'll just go home by myself".
Old 04-30-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
About six hours into this game and I have to agree with most of you guys that this is not a perfect 10 game. The controls are horrible. You'd think that after seven games the driving controls would be perfected. The rest of the game is fantastic. I never finish a gta game but I think this'll be the exception. For those wanting to make some cash from romans taxi service be warned. I did the first drop off and only made $1 followed by a toll booth charge of $5 to get back in the city! Does anyone know if it pays more in the future?

My favorite holy crap moment:

Spoiler:
in the Concrete jungle mission i decided to chase after the three guys and shoot em down. I got the first two in the back alley but the third was getting away. I finally caught up to him and shot him in the middle of the street. As he was being shot up, a car swerved out of the way to avoid hitting him and ended up smashing into a tree sending him flying out his window!
Old 05-01-08, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts
I was looking for a car for a mission, and pulled flagged down the first car I saw, a Cadillac type car. As I pulled the driver out, he threw his hands up, and said "Hey!"

Not a milisecond after he said this, a sports car plows into him sending him flying. It was bang-bang, almost like one of those movies. I was cracking up, but shocked at the same time.
Old 05-01-08, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speaking of weird moments. I hijacked a car with a passenger in it. The passenger stuck his body out of the side window, pulled out a gun and started shooting at a cop walking down the street. So I proceeded to stop and then panned the camera over to see down the sidewalk - sure enough the passenger got out and continued the gun battle with the cop.

Nothing too crazy, but I just found the situation peculiar; especially since the passenger didn't attempt to shoot me.
Old 05-01-08, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
About six hours into this game and I have to agree with most of you guys that this is not a perfect 10 game. The controls are horrible.

Not to continue to beat a dead horse, but the more I play (probably 5 hours now) I find that the camera is more annoying than any of the control issues. I think they even make the controls feel more wonky.
Old 05-01-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts
Michelle is a slut. I got to have "coffee" with her after the first date, bowling.

Does anyone else have a problem sprinting? It seems like it doesn't respond a lot when I'm hammering that button, and I know damn well I'm not hitting it too slowly.
Old 05-01-08, 07:15 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Jesus Christ Monkey Balls! I finished Three Leaf Clover for Packie, quite possibly the best mission in the game so far (35% done). Don't read the following unless you have finished it:

Spoiler:
That was the best video game reenactment of the bank shootout in Heat that I've ever played. The way the sound of those massive assault rifles was bouncing off the surrounding buildings perfectly matched the same feeling and the escape through the subway was TENSE! I barely escaped the 5 star fracas with a smidgen of life in a police cruiser down to two good wheels.
Old 05-01-08, 08:26 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
I shot her point blank in the face with a shotgun, and it just cuts to a quick cinema of her saying "if you going to act like that, I'll just go home by myself".
On my second date with Michelle I accidentally ran over three people and caused a couple of accidents. She was freaking out at me but then two seconds later said "I'm bored, take me home." When we got there she put out and it was only the second date. LOL

The first date we took a cab to a restaurant and on the way I watched as a cop car ran over someone and caused an eight car pile up. It was kind of annoying because the cab just sat there until the driver decided to start playing bumper cars.
Old 05-01-08, 09:28 AM
Suspended

I thought the point of the Rockstar Social Club was so you could check out all your in-game stats online. Where is this on the site?
Old 05-01-08, 09:35 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I can confirm that Kiki Jenkins (Lawchick on Lovemeet) is the girl that
Spoiler:
will lower your wanted level with a call to her.
She likes the comedy club. I also suspect that she has a thing about helping the disadvantaged. Every time I show up in a suit, she gives me a weird comment about my clothes.

Anyone had any luck nailing Kate yet? I've got her up to 100%, but no dice. I did learn that she likes nice cars, but doesn't like convertibles.
Old 05-01-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I thought the point of the Rockstar Social Club was so you could check out all your in-game stats online. Where is this on the site?
I looked and couldn't find anything other than the Marathon thing and the police report. It did say they'd be adding some things in the coming days though, so hopefully they add more in-depth stats.

3 people have already finished 100%, 1 in only 18 hours. I'd imagine you'd have to either have worked on the game (thus knowing exactly where everything is and how to do things) or cheated to get 100% that fast, no?
Old 05-01-08, 10:31 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by aktick
3 people have already finished 100%, 1 in only 18 hours. I'd imagine you'd have to either have worked on the game (thus knowing exactly where everything is and how to do things) or cheated to get 100% that fast, no?
They could have just picked up the official game guide and raced through the game to be the first. Finding those 200 birds would take forever without a map.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.