DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

darkside 05-05-10 08:18 AM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Originally Posted by iggystar (Post 10141186)
I've never played Picross at all and I have 3D on pre-order mainly because all of the rave reviews here. For those who have played it so far (and those who will, too) do you think the tutorial will be sufficient for me to catch on?

I think so. If you have a Wii you can download the demo from the Nintendo Channel and try out the tutorial. It fully sold me on the game.

iggystar 05-05-10 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 10141225)
I think so. If you have a Wii you can download the demo from the Nintendo Channel and try out the tutorial. It fully sold me on the game.

Thanks, darkside! I have a Wii so I think I'll do just that later. :)

UncleGramps 05-05-10 02:16 PM

Hey fro, when did the puzzles start getting tricky for you? I'm up through the end of Level 2 on Easy and it's not too bad yet.

superfro 05-05-10 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps (Post 10141915)
Hey fro, when did the puzzles start getting tricky for you? I'm up through the end of Level 2 on Easy and it's not too bad yet.

I didn't even go into Beginner since I thought it was just the tutorial. Did they also have regular puzzle levels in there? I'm up to Level 6 on Easy. I've gone back and done some of the first few of those levels again and I'm flying through them pretty quick, but I've run into a few on 4-5-6 that gave me some pause.

Honestly I think my biggest issue at this point is accidentally pushing Up on the D-Pad when I'm meaning to push Left. -ohbfrank-

(I seriously played this thing from fully charged DS to the power light coming on yesterday. :) )

UncleGramps 05-05-10 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by superfro (Post 10141927)
I didn't even go into Beginner since I thought it was just the tutorial. Did they also have regular puzzle levels in there? I'm up to Level 6 on Easy. I've gone back and done some of the first few of those levels again and I'm flying through them pretty quick, but I've run into a few on 4-5-6 that gave me some pause.

Honestly I think my biggest issue at this point is accidentally pushing Up on the D-Pad when I'm meaning to push Left. -ohbfrank-

(I seriously played this thing from fully charged DS to the power light coming on yesterday. :) )

:lol: Where do you find the time to play all of these games?

Beginner has tutorials and some puzzles too. It does a good job of explaining concepts and then using specific puzzles to illustrate those concepts.

I've also screwed up the D-pad directions a few times. I think I was just rushing too much.

superfro 05-05-10 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps (Post 10142007)
:lol: Where do you find the time to play all of these games?

Well yesterday was a 'sick day'. ;)

But I ended up wasting the whole thing on goddamn Picross! :lol:

I did the demo on from the Wii, so I totally skipped the beginner option since I assumed it was the same. I guess I'll have to go back to it if it has real puzzles though.

UncleGramps 05-05-10 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by superfro (Post 10142022)
I did the demo on from the Wii, so I totally skipped the beginner option since I assumed it was the same. I guess I'll have to go back to it if it has real puzzles though.

The full game's Beginner section does have a lot more than the demo does. The puzzles are all pretty simple, but they are marked as standard puzzles and not just samples or examples.

darkside 05-05-10 08:31 PM

The Beginner section is very well done. It fully prepares you for the regular puzzles. I played through it and now I'm on to the Easy section. Loving it so far. There are already 5 puzzles available as downloadable content.

PixyJunket 05-06-10 12:52 PM

So, any Etrian Odyssey fans up here? No, oh well.

Anyway, this is 7th Dragon. I kind of knew about this before but really never looked into it until today. Basically, most of the (creative?) team behind Etrian Odyssey decided to try their hand at making an old school Dragon Quest game, in the vein that they made EO from Wizardry. After a few videos I think this game has moved up to the top of my "most wanted" list. I've gotten a few hints that the game will be coming out here although a published wasn't mentioned (Atlus seems like a good guess but the games was published by Sega in Japan, which might be a hurdle) and that information was given to me several months ago. Of course, E3 is right around the corner, so who knows?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RhFqEppIM0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RhFqEppIM0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

xmiyux 05-06-10 12:56 PM

What pixy, no love for miyu?

I played a ton of Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2 and you even rescued me a few times. :lol:

Interestingly enough though - i have never played a Dragon Quest game.

PixyJunket 05-06-10 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux (Post 10143712)
What pixy, no love for miyu?

I was actually wondering if you'd catch that. :lol:

I played a ton of Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2 and you even rescued me a few times. :lol:

Hmm.. you're thinking of Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer here (did you play the Wii version?).

Interestingly enough though - i have never played a Dragon Quest game.

Well, IV and V are on the DS and I'd probably consider them in my top ten games of all time.

7th Dragon seems to have VERY similar aspects to Etrian Odyssey too in the character creation, skill tree and the quest systems.. except that it's all played out in overhead maps instead of first person dungeons. Man, I really hope this one does make it over (along with EO3 and SaGa 2, naturally).

xmiyux 05-06-10 01:20 PM

You are right. You rescued me in Shiren. I played a ton of that as well. :lol:

I actually don't own a Wii so have never had the opportunity to play the new Shiren. I had heard they made it a good bit easier though - which doesn't interest me as much. I prefer to bang my head against the wall of Nethack-style games and Nethack difficulty.

PixyJunket 05-06-10 01:28 PM

Ah, yes, the story mode of the game is definitely easier, to a degree. But there are a LOT of side-dungeons and post-story dungeons that are true to the genre's form (and possibly even more insane) than what the DS game offered. The story mode is basically a ten or twenty hour tutorial, if you ask me. And hell, even then, the game can still be plenty evil if you're not being careful (and even if you are, I guess).

I know there's a PSP version of Shiren 3 coming out in Japan but I don't know if Atlus will publish it here or not (or if you even have a PSP).. or if they're going to follow the series through with its newest DS chapter (Shiren 4).

darkside 05-10-10 04:32 PM

After 130 puzzles I can safely call Picross 3D a must buy. I hate to compare it to Mass Effect 2 since they are totally different, but it is my second favorite game of the year next to that. I can't stop playing it and replaying a puzzle when I don't get all three stars. Brilliant puzzle game.

Also, our good friends at GameStop are selling new (well opened, but they consider them new) copies of Glory of Heracles for $14.99. Used (opened as well, but they don't consider them new) copies are $13.99. I picked one up and started it and I like it so far. It is kind of a generic old school RPG, but its $15 and well translated and has solid production value. It seems well worth that price.

shumway 05-10-10 04:54 PM

I picked up a used copy for $12.99 before Edge on Friday as well. Still in the opening stages but no complaints so far.

Deadpool 05-11-10 03:56 PM

THE CODE HAS BEEN CLAIMED

For any club nintendo members here:

I have a potential 30 point code from Tetris DS if someone wants it. I got 3 copies of this game used, 2 of them had the codes still in the package. I have used one code and although I have 5 different ds systems registered they will not let me register another copy...

First one to PM me gets it....again I stress it may or may not work

Quack 05-20-10 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 10137639)
DQ IX has no date other than "Summer," so whatever you're seeing in a placeholder.

SE should follow-up some time later with VI, even if their recent DS support would indicate otherwise.

Turned out to be pretty close. ;)

darkside 05-20-10 10:32 AM

I'm really excited about DQIX. I still need to finish IV and may try to do that before IX is released, but Picross 3D is still dominating my time. I finally got perfect for all the easy and normal puzzles and will now see if getting perfect on the hard ones is possible. No matter what else I try to play I always end up playing Picross so I just need to finish all the puzzles and move on.

PixyJunket 05-20-10 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 10168884)
Turned out to be pretty close. ;)

You really came back to post that?! :lol:

Awesome.

Interestingly enough, the US date is one year EXACT after the Japanese date. :o

PixyJunket 05-25-10 02:10 PM

So I think darkside mentioned having to start moving DSiWare games over to SD and that Art Style: Zengage was the first victim since he didn't like it very much. It kind of brought the game to my attention as it was one of the few I hadn't spent too much time with. So I booted it up to see if it would be the first Art Style game to go into storage.

Much to my surprise, I got HOOKED on the game.. and as of this writing, I just "beat" it on my afternoon break here at work. I use quotes because I've only dabbled into half of what the game has to offers and only the easy part (will explain later).

The game is horribly uninteresting at first and I think this is really a problem I think most people may be hitting upon. The way the game is structured, you don't start seeing cool shit until the third or fourth "world." But once that hits, the game's genius comes quick and fierce and just when you get used to something new, it throws another curve ball at you.

At its base, the game is a slide puzzle. Your primary goal is to move tiles so that you slide each colored tile underneath a matching colored marble on the board. This isn't horribly interesting though and it's probably been done before. Once you clear five levels of the nine presented, you open up another set of nine levels, introducing a gimmick of "locked" tiles. This changes up the strategy to the game but it still feels a little uninteresting. But each time you clear five levels in a set you unlock a new set of levels and a new gimmick. Gimmicks start to stack and the game ramps up into something wonderful, where you're not just sliding tiles, you're planning moves ahead to find out how to properly place arrows, having to slide tiles in an "action" fashion to get marbles off of an arrow path DURING its path or to divert one to a rotating plate, you're trying to figure out how to push marbles into each other to get past the restrictions of locked tiles, etc.

It really sucks that the game starts off so.. dull. Because once you unlock some of the gimmicks and you start trying to tackle the later levels in each set (six through nine) you'll find some of the toughest puzzles out there in video game land (in my admittedly limited experience, mind you). It's one of the best "thinking man" games I've played and solving some of the tougher puzzles becomes deliciously satisfying and solving them under par becomes an obsession.

Last but not least, the game has some of the best sound design in any game I've ever played. The ambient music and sounds are eclectic, haunting and amazing. It's some of the best sound that'll put you into the trance you need to be in to play this game. It sucks you in, you become a part of the puzzle thanks to the sound. It's really weird, I'm not trying to be an art *** here, but put on a set of headphones and tell me that the music to some of the later levels such as MOTHER, GLOOM or SHINE don't wrap you up in what you're doing when taking on a tough puzzle. It's kind of freaky, in a good way.

darkside 05-26-10 09:11 PM

I actually got pretty far into Zengage. I think I beat 80% of the puzzles. I actually liked it less though the more I played it. I don't know. I was the same way about Pictobits. I loved it at first and then found it tiresome a few hours into playing though I do keep going back to it to try and unlock the few songs I have left. Love the chiptunes on that game. The Art Style games seem to hook me in the first hour and then I start to get real tired of them fast. Maybe the difficulty of them is too high or maybe it is the repetition since they are all built around simple game mechanics. I know most people love them.

Speaking of DSiware I liked, I do love Metal Torrent. I have played through it several times with the easy ship and have actually gotten pretty far with the harder ship. Great game that is fun for a quick session every now and then. It is pretty basic in design, but works for a 500 point game. I also bought the True Crimes: Jack the Ripper game. My wife and I like the hidden object games. This one is overpriced at 800 points, but seems decent and is a better value than the full DS carts of these that have about the same content, but cost $20. This game is the full 16MB allowed for a DSi download so they crammed as much into it as possible. It is basically the same as all of these hidden object games so only worth considering if you like that stuff and don't mind paying for a DS version of something usually a buck or two on the PC or iPhone.

I'm also 320 puzzles complete on Picross 3D. The hard puzzles are still not bad. The only thing that is hard is the time limit, but I'm still getting first try perfects on 2/3rd of them and going back to get it on the others is pretty easy. They have also released 4 free puzzle packs now so that is an extra 20 puzzles to play. Still my DS game of the year so far.

The DSiWare games, Picross 3D and SMT: Strange Journey are pretty much occupying all of my gaming time right now. I've barely touched a console since finishing Assassin's Creed II some time ago.

PixyJunket 05-27-10 07:58 AM

Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light comes out October 4th.

A new old school Final Fantasy? So mine.

themaskedvirgin 05-29-10 03:13 AM

cant seem to find dragon quest 5 for the ds..is it out of print???

outer-edge 06-04-10 06:00 PM

Well, my old-school original DS has been broken for about two years now (smashed top screen). Today I replaced the screen and it's working again. I mainly did this as my 6-year-old has DS envy of kids at daycare and with summer here, I wanted him to be able to have one to take along on a day or two of the week. SO far, I know he's interested in Mario Kart and possibly New Super Mario Bros. But, I need some other recommendations if anyone knows great games for a 6-year-old boy. He's really into Bakugan, but I don't know if any of those games are any good. He likes LEGOs, Star Wars, etc. (we have LEGO Star Wars on Wii, so maybe the DS version, or even LEGO Batman?).

Usually I'm on top of this stuff, but after a 2-tear DS hiatus, I'm just not sure what may or may be good games for him.

Help?

xmiyux 06-04-10 07:00 PM

My 5-year old daughter is all about the New Super Mario Brothers and the Princess Peach platformer game.

She plays those two a good deal.

Also Nintendogs - but be aware - with Nintendogs have a rule they must play it in their room. I thought I was going to go nuts listening to her shout the dogs name repeatedly for the voice recognition software. "Sparkles! Sparkles! Sparkles! Sparkles!" :eek: