DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

Baron Of Hell 03-07-10 07:13 AM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Been playing M&L Bawser's inside story. It is a cute story that makes laugh. The game is a lot longer than I thought it would be. I just check gamefaqs and I'm not even half done with it and I thought I was near the end.

I didn't even know what to expect from the game. I was thinking it was going to platform game but it is really a mini RPG. I kind of found the writing odd in that it might be hard for little kids to understand what is going on because some of the characters talk in a accent or yoda speak so stuff is spelled to reflect that. Someone learning to read might have trouble with it. Also some of the time attacks and dodges were hard but maybe I'm getting old.

Fun game so far. I wonder if princess peach is stuck somewhere strange inside bowser.

darkside 03-07-10 10:50 AM

Have to give some love to Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth since it seems to have been completely overlooked.

I'm on the fourth case now and really loving the game. Where the previous Ace Attorney games were a goofy version of Matlock this one is a very goofy version of Columbo with the game focusing purely on the investigation aspects of the case. Looking for clues, triggering logic that you have to piece together and gathering evidence. Instead of jumping to courtroom scenes to do the interrogations you do them during the investigations and you will move quickly back and forth between investigating a scene and interrogating a witness.

One downside is all the DS specific features added for Apollo Justice are gone here. This game can be played without ever touching a stylus and I know that has irritated some people. However, I think the gameplay of this one is much better than Apollo Justice and right now it may be my favorite game in the series.

If you liked any of the previous Ace Attorney games or point and click adventures in general this game is pretty much a must own.

I also got my Ace Attorney brief case. I have it on a shelf and I don't think it is something I would use to carry around my DSi, but I really like it as a gaming collectible.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...e/DSCN1324.jpg

PixyJunket 03-12-10 09:36 AM

If you have a DSi you should download Aura-Aura Climber. It's $2 and is a REALLY awesome arcade style game from Nintendo. There are a few different modes of play and a HUGE number of achievements to earn. Basically you're a little star and your goal is to climb to the top of a level by using stretchy arms to grab little posts.

Here's one of the only videos of it on YouTube, just to get a sample of what it's like.

Also, you may want to check out Spotto!, another $2 game from Nintendo (who only makes Mario games, remember, so pretend these are from another company if you will), this is not as fun or feature packed as Aura-Aura but it's a still pretty fun and very deserving of your pocket change. Basically, it's the Scorched-Earth/Worms concept except for on pre-designed levels. There are 50 levels at the start of the game (maybe more unlock later) and an "endless" mode.

A video, as above.

Also, as of my Spotto! purchase, my DSi is FULL and I haven't even bought all the games I've been interested in. Bummer. Well, I can easily move a few things to the SD card, Dragon Quest Wars didn't have lasting value unfortunately (online only, blech) and I can probably move the browser and Flipnote Studio over as well, that should open up enough space for the time being. Hopefully Nintendo implements SD loading soon (not sure why it wasn't there from the start after the Wii fiasco, but Nintendo operates kind of backwards like that).

darkside 03-12-10 10:22 AM

I haven't bought anything on WiiWare or DSWare in some time. Aura Aura and Spoto look like good buys.

I noticed that the DS Personal Fitness thing with two pedometers dropped from $50 to $20 at Best Buy. I was looking for something like this to keep track of steps and give me some goals on my rides and walks and seems like a decent buy at $20. I've been using it the past couple of days and its not too bad.
Of course when Pokemon comes out I will have two pedometers to carry around.

Quack 03-12-10 01:17 PM

Just started playing Mario and Luigi the other day....I'm pretty hooked so far! Love all the Bowser back and forth with the brothers.

PixyJunket 03-12-10 02:18 PM

I really need to grab Mario & Luigi soon, everything about it sounds great.

darkside 03-12-10 06:24 PM

Aura-Aura and Spotto! are indeed excellent. Think I played Spotto! for like an hour straight.
I still need to pick up Mario and Luigi as well, but will have to get through Pokemon and finish up Ace Attorney Investigations first.

Edit: Also for anyone that tries and enjoys Spotto! I would really recommend the even better game of this type called Trajectile. It is similar in idea. You have to bounce your shots to take out targets and you have limited tries to do it. It is from Q-Games and is a bargain for 500 points.

LorenzoL 03-15-10 12:18 PM

Is anybody buying Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver? I still have the original Gameboy Color games and I was wondering if I should "upgrade" to the above versions.

darkside 03-15-10 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 10050616)
Is anybody buying Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver? I still have the original Gameboy Color games and I was wondering if I should "upgrade" to the above versions.

I bought HeartGold this weekend. I never played the originals and I'm really enjoying the game. The Pokewalker is a weird feature, but kind of interesting. You carry one around with you and your steps level it up and I guess also unlock things for the game.

I've heard the Gold and Silver games are very good and so far I'm pretty impressed. My only complaint is the touch screen now has all of your menu items. You bring it up by pressing X instead of start. I just can't get used to that, but it is also kind of quick to just press them on the screen though I usually don't use a stylus when playing this game.

LorenzoL 03-15-10 03:17 PM

Thanks. It's not high on the priority list but I will be upgrading to the DS games later on.

xmiyux 03-15-10 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 10050951)
I bought HeartGold this weekend. I never played the originals and I'm really enjoying the game. The Pokewalker is a weird feature, but kind of interesting. You carry one around with you and your steps level it up and I guess also unlock things for the game.

I've heard the Gold and Silver games are very good and so far I'm pretty impressed. My only complaint is the touch screen now has all of your menu items. You bring it up by pressing X instead of start. I just can't get used to that, but it is also kind of quick to just press them on the screen though I usually don't use a stylus when playing this game.

Pokewalker? Is it like a pedometer in meatspace or is it something in-game?

LorenzoL 03-15-10 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux (Post 10051331)

I don't have this game but from what I seen, the best description is that it reminds of a "Tamagotchi", the way is shaped. It's not in-game and you need to carry it with you I guess.

darkside 03-15-10 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux (Post 10051331)

It kind of looks like a little Tamagotchi, but it is just a pedometer with a small screen. You don't have to babysit the thing like a Tamagotchi. You beam a pokemon to it through the IR port in the back of the DS cart and then walk around with it in your pocket. It records your steps and transfers those into Watts used to unlock content and experience for the Pokemon.

I now have two of these DS pedometers in my pocket, but any excuse to exercise more is a good one I guess.

slop101 03-17-10 12:31 PM

I'm surprised there's no mention of the DSi XL in this thread yet.

Anyhoo, I'm glad I hadn't gotten a DSi yet, as the XL is more of what I'd want, since I don't really take it with me, the bigger screen is a welcome addition.

darkside 03-17-10 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10054380)

Anyhoo, I'm glad I hadn't gotten a DSi yet, as the XL is more of what I'd want, since I don't really take it with me, the bigger screen is a welcome addition.

I'm trying not to think about it personally. I really want the XL, but have $60 or so invested in DSiWare that is difficult to transfer to a different device. I'm also not crazy about the gloss lid or the Bronze and Burgundy colors so I will probably stick with my current DSi. Really love those screens though.

WMAangel 03-17-10 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10054380)

Go back a few pages (beginning with post #1337, oh how cute)....it was already brought up and discussed back at the end of October when it was originally announced...

xmiyux 03-17-10 01:25 PM

I was listening to the newest (and last) 4 Guys 1 Up podcast at GDC and they mentioned a rumor about the Nintendo DS 2. They said there are a bunch of patents in Japan, rumors of it being announced at E3, and possibly launching in Japan this Fall. They described the rumors as calling it a Gamecube on a chip.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about this?

edit: and -> at

RichC2 03-17-10 01:28 PM

No but I hope this doesn't mean they're moving to 3D.

UncleGramps 03-17-10 01:30 PM

It's all rumors at this point, miyu. They are constantly working on new consoles/handhelds, but I'd be surprised to see a real follow-up to the DS before 2011.

xmiyux 03-17-10 01:34 PM

Just going on the discussion from the podcast. N'gai Croal and some other guest both had a good deal of info. :lol:

UncleGramps 03-17-10 01:40 PM

Yeah, I'm sure that industry insiders hear more scuttlebutt than we do, but it's still rumor mill material in my opinion. I could see Nintendo potentially announcing something at E3, but I don't think they'd start selling it before next year at the earliest. The DS is still selling like mad, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. We shall see soon enough.

xmiyux 03-17-10 07:54 PM

I could see them doing something to get to a new system that doesn't have as large an issue with piracy.

Are there any statistics breaking out DSi sales from regular DS sales? I'm curious if the DSi (which is supposedly better at preventing piracy) was selling well or not.

fujishig 03-17-10 09:11 PM

Remember when the DS was not supposed to be the next Gameboy?

And I thought the DSi sales were tracked separately from DS, which is why the PSP was on top recently... or is that only Japan?

Chris_D 03-17-10 09:13 PM

Actually, last week the PSP beat out the DS overall by about 15,000.

fujishig 03-17-10 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 10055359)
Actually, last week the PSP beat out the DS overall by about 15,000.

In the US? That seems odd, was there some new game that came out?

I was thinking of this IGN article, which were weekly sales in JP, and where a new .hack game came out, and if you combine the DS and DSi number, they were still a little higher:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/107/1077105p1.html

* PSP: 64,808 (37,338)
* Wii: 33,880 (36,241)
* PS3: 28,824 (27,763)
* DSi LL: 23,611 (24,605)
* DSi: 15,017 (15,586)
* DS Lite: 4,316 (5,029)
* Xbox 360: 2,794 (2,510)
* PS2: 1,839 (1,912)
* PSP go: 1,275 (1,296)