DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

darkside 07-07-09 03:16 PM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Originally Posted by ElementZ (Post 9550450)
Just beat Professor Layton and the Curious Village. What a great and fun game. Are there other installments in the series?

In Japan they are on the 4th one I think. The US is getting the second one in August. Did you download all the extra puzzles? There were also several puzzles you could get unlocked through the Nintendo Wi-Fi collection.

Quake1028 07-11-09 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Quake1028 (Post 9548837)
Sweet I might go pick these up tomorrow:

Chrono Trigger
Sonic Chronicles
Henry Hatsworth

I have a $25 GC from my birthday and $15 in RZ certs so they would basically be free, out of pocket.

I ended up picking up exactly these 3 :up:. I wanted Hotel Dusk or Dragon Quest IV in place of Henry Hatsworth but my BB didn't have either of them.

darkside 07-11-09 10:03 PM

I like Hatsworth and it is worth playing. Definitely a hardcore game as it gets very difficult quickly, but it is a lot of fun to play.

Speaking of hard ass games I finally got around to buying pictobits on DSiware and it is fantastic. The music is pretty easy to unlock so even if the difficulty might keep you from beating the later levels you can still earn coins replaying the early levels and buy all the songs. I'm liking the game mechanic, but the biggest issue is the speed you have to move to shift the bits around in later levels. You will try to quickly pick up your bits to set up a combo, but when you press the stylus it will drop that one and sometimes another one right next to it completely screwing you up. It is also a bit counter-intuitive to pick them up in the opposite order you plan to use them, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm on the 10th level of 17 now and then you can buy all the dark levels that are even harder. I think the game is worth 500 points for the chiptunes alone so even if I can't get to the dark levels I will be fine with it.

Quake1028 07-12-09 01:17 AM

That's the reason I was (and still am) a bit wary of Hatsworth. Thinking about going to my other BB tomorrow and seeing if they have HD or DQ4.

s}{ammer 07-14-09 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 9549664)
Best Buy also had a much better DS selection than I thought they would. They had SMT: Devil Survivor, for instance.

Lucky you, I went to two best buy stores and neither had this. I ended up picking it up at gamestop. I wasn't sure what to expect from it since I haven't had any previous games from the series. I am loving this game though. Not usually my type of game, turn based, but it has such a good storyline and is pretty deep what with all the different demons and having to fuse them to make them stronger. It's just a great game. Anyone else playing this title?

fujishig 07-15-09 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by s}{ammer (Post 9568683)
Lucky you, I went to two best buy stores and neither had this. I ended up picking it up at gamestop. I wasn't sure what to expect from it since I haven't had any previous games from the series. I am loving this game though. Not usually my type of game, turn based, but it has such a good storyline and is pretty deep what with all the different demons and having to fuse them to make them stronger. It's just a great game. Anyone else playing this title?

I've been playing it (though I didn't pick it up at BB, since I had it preordered from Amazon). I haven't had much time, though, I just unlocked the fusion part, and I know it's going to be another time sink like the fusion in all other SMT games now.

Goldberg74 07-15-09 05:52 PM

This might have been asked before... but is there any word on any new colors for the DSi?

I know there are a ton available in Japan (well 7), but only two so far in the US.

mhg83 07-16-09 06:21 PM

The world ends with you is only $16 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Ends-You...7786275&sr=8-1

Liver&Onions 07-16-09 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 9574813)
The world ends with you is only $16 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Ends-You...7786275&sr=8-1

And purchased. Thank you!

steebo777 07-20-09 12:09 PM

Solid price for an amazing game.

grim_tales 07-21-09 05:22 AM

I'm playing Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars on DS and it's an amazing game. Dan Brown ripped some of it off for the Da Vinci Code, it appears :D
I wish there was more of Nico's story in it though. :)
I love the art style and some of the one liners :) Would be great if more Broken Sword (it's a shame those initials are rather unfortunate ;) ) games came to DS :D

grim_tales 07-22-09 05:42 AM

Does anyone know of any stores selling Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past that will ship to the UK? :)

Chris_D 07-22-09 07:19 AM

You could try play-asia:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...t-70-3ceo.html

Michael Corvin 07-22-09 09:17 AM

Since I've started gaming on the iPhone in the past few months the DS has seen little action. I can't wait to get my hands on Scribblenauts.

grim_tales 07-22-09 10:24 AM

Thanks Chris :) I've heard Memories of the Past has a proper (and much better) translation and localisation than the 1st JH game "Detective Chronicles".

ElementZ 07-22-09 11:20 AM

My DS has been great lately. Within the last month, I have played and beaten Professor Layton and New Super Mario Bros. Just started playing Picross (very addicting) and trauma center 2 (kinda neat so far).

Goldberg74 07-22-09 09:37 PM

I accidentally broke my wife's DS today while trying to clean it.

Now I have to get her a DSi.

Darnit. ;)

Goldberg74 07-23-09 09:33 AM

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box is up for preorder at Amazon (it's $30 but worth every penny)!

Lurker Gal 07-24-09 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 9589790)
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box is up for preorder at Amazon (it's $30 but worth every penny)!

I preordered Professor Layton and Scribblenauts and I'm so looking forward to both games.

gimmepilotwings 07-24-09 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ElementZ (Post 9587181)
My DS has been great lately. Within the last month, I have played and beaten Professor Layton and New Super Mario Bros. Just started playing Picross (very addicting) and trauma center 2 (kinda neat so far).

Picross is the only one I haven't played in your list. I tried Shin Megami and Big Bang Mini. I didn't give Shin Magami much of a chance, but then again, I haven't had time to pick up my DS in like 5 weeks. :(

darkside 07-24-09 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by grim_tales (Post 9583284)
I'm playing Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars on DS and it's an amazing game.

I'm running into major issues on this with the DSi and I think it is a problem with hardware and not the game specifically. Early in the game when George and Nico are talking the game froze. I tried that section several times and it froze each time. I tried it again in my wife's DS Lite and it completed fine. I continued playing without issues on my DSi until tonight. I just completed the Syria section and needed to talk to the guy in the museum. I completed that, but the game acts like I haven't so I can't go further. I tried talking to him again on the DS Lite, but the conversations are no longer there and it looks like I am dead in the water and will have to restart the whole game. Not sure if this glitch is DSi related or just a glitch in general. Reading through some old posts there were apparently some game stopping glitches in the older versions of Broken Sword and maybe this one is as well.

Decker 07-24-09 05:28 PM

New Scribblenauts Trailer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3B-WUz47fqo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3B-WUz47fqo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Of course there's a chance that this won't be the most awesome game ever. But I wouldn't bet on that.

s}{ammer 07-24-09 06:00 PM

you guys hyped up scribblenauts so much I was thinking I would skip it. I figured it will probably fall short of any expectations but I must say this looks good. I might have to pick it up just so I can try to stump the game.

Goldberg74 07-24-09 10:12 PM

Bought Henry Hatsworth today... and it didn't come with a registration code inside.

So much for the 30 coins. :mad:

darkside 07-24-09 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 9595312)
Bought Henry Hatsworth today... and it didn't come with a registration code inside.

So much for the 30 coins. :mad:

Yeah this is an EA title not a first party one.