DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

slop101 03-20-09 11:19 AM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9335649)
I ordered Suikoden a couple of days ago, should be here soon.

Let us know how that is after you play some - I'm interested in it, but actual reviews haven't told me shit.

Acting Up 03-20-09 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9338326)
Let us know how that is after you play some - I'm interested in it, but actual reviews haven't told me shit.

I just got it today and love it so far. The voice acting is a bit of a joke, but its there..unlike Valkyrie Profile.

Goldberg74 03-20-09 03:58 PM

I picked up Peggle: Dual Shot at Costco for $23.99 on a blind buy.

Fun game.

Could do without the unicorn. ;)

I want to get Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure next... but I a few projects left to finish first. :(

slop101 03-20-09 04:02 PM

Okay, I am totally digging Henry Hatsworth!

The platforming section of the game (which is actually more of a beat-'em-up with some light shooting than a Mario-type platforming) and the puzzle section of the game, by themselves aren't particularly special and just slightly above average examples of their genre. But together, they really work and make their sum product something special.

It does take a few levels before you really figure out the best way to play it and get into a proper groove, but once you do, it's a blast.

Acting Up 03-20-09 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9339071)
Okay, I am totally digging Henry Hatsworth!

The platforming section of the game (which is actually more of a beat-'em-up with some light shooting than a Mario-type platforming) and the puzzle section of the game, by themselves aren't particularly special and just slightly above average examples of their genre. But together, they really work and make their sum product something special.

It does take a few levels before you really figure out the best way to play it and get into a proper groove, but once you do, it's a blast.

That one is on my wish list and I had it in my hands to buy it today. I ended up going with three others

GTA Chinatown Wars
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Suikoden Tierkreis

I also pre-ordered Rhythm Heaven and will be picking it up with my Blue DSi.

Sunday = Pokemon Platinum for me.

mh4268 03-21-09 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9338326)

I am enjoying it. I am about 5 hours in. It's really not a true Suikoden game (no runes, sharpening weapons, duels/large scale wars) but it is a quick paced RPG, but i do miss those aspects of Suikoden.

And yes the voice acting is funny, especially the mile a minute main character.

Acting Up, I haven't gotten to the point yet where you can trade characters online, but I am willing to swap when I get there.

Acting Up 03-21-09 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by mh4268 (Post 9340252)
I am enjoying it. I am about 5 hours in. It's really not a true Suikoden game (no runes, sharpening weapons, duels/large scale wars) but it is a quick paced RPG, but i do miss those aspects of Suikoden.

And yes the voice acting is funny, especially the mile a minute main character.

Acting Up, I haven't gotten to the point yet where you can trade characters online, but I am willing to swap when I get there.

I wish we had all of those these from the original Suikoden games, but at the same time I am pretty happy with what we have right now.

I haven't gotten there yet either, but when I do I'd love to trade with as many people as possible. Right now I'm trying to finish the import of Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! and at the same time I will be playing Suikoden.

Did anyone else see the new DS TV ADs that showcase Professor Layton? You'll even find that Nintendo is actually producing more copies of the game in hopes to have it sell to the mass market. I hope it works and we get the 2nd game before the end of the year from Nintendo.

darkside 03-22-09 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Acting Up (Post 9340305)

Did anyone else see the new DS TV ADs that showcase Professor Layton? You'll even find that Nintendo is actually producing more copies of the game in hopes to have it sell to the mass market. I hope it works and we get the 2nd game before the end of the year from Nintendo.

Crossing fingers this happens. The DSi is going to sell very well and probably be bought mostly by adults so hopefully Nintendo will try and market Layton to them and get enough sales to bring over the others. Hell I would buy a DSi if Nintendo will bring me the other Layton games in return.

BTW, finally played through Peggle DS including the Q? levels and it was awesome. Nights levels are so great. I'm no playing through the latest Castlevania and getting my ass handed to me. Tough game, but good enough for me to grind through it.

Brent L 03-22-09 06:35 PM

I finally found Professor Layton at a Blockbuster after looking for it everywhere else. Oddly enough, they had it new for just $21.99 instead of $30 like everywhere else had it for (well, if they had it in stock that is).

I just started playing it...I love it!

I have also been playing Henry Hatsworth, I love it as well. It takes a little while to "get", it did for me at least, but once you wrap your head around it it's great. :)

LorenzoL 03-22-09 06:56 PM

I'll definitely be purchasing Henry Hatsworth later this week.

mh4268 03-22-09 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9342573)
I finally found Professor Layton at a Blockbuster after looking for it everywhere else. Oddly enough, they had it new for just $21.99 instead of $30 like everywhere else had it for (well, if they had it in stock that is).

That's where i got mine a month ago. It was marked clearance. Maybe hey are getting out of the new videogame business.

Brent L 03-22-09 07:45 PM

I just noticed that there's almost 30 puzzles that you can download to the DS for Professor Layton. Are they still releasing those?

darkside 03-23-09 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9342689)
I just noticed that there's almost 30 puzzles that you can download to the DS for Professor Layton. Are they still releasing those?

No. All of the downloadable puzzles have been released. They were actually on the cart already. The download just unlocked them. It was great getting a new puzzle every week while it lasted though.

So my Platinum status got me an invite to a hands on with the DSi. I liked it. Bigger screens are nice and it feels great. Thinner, matte finish, L&R buttons are better and so on. However, I'm just not seeing the $170 value. The camera was fun to play with and they printed a picture for us to keep. However, I don't see myself using the camera much and the AAC limitation takes a lot of the fun out of the audio player. It does incorporate the camera with the calendar and I like the way it saves the photos to the day they were snapped on the calendar.

DSiware would be the thing I'm most interested in, but the rep was no help and had no info on what is available at launch and if the releases will be consistent or the lousy trickle we get on Wii. I also don't want another Nintendo product that sells DLC, but gives you little space to save it. The PSP and iPod touch at least get this right.

My launch DS Lite is getting a little worn out, but I'm still undecided on replacing it with the DSi.

Brent L 03-23-09 06:23 AM

I'm still on my launch DS from years ago, so I think I'm going to be picking up the DSi for sure. :lol:

GatorDeb 03-23-09 01:59 PM

What happened to the people excited for Rittai (3D) Picross??

I know I wasn't the only one excited :(

UncleGramps 03-23-09 02:16 PM

I will add to the Henry Hatsworth love. I am having a lot of fun with it.

As for GTA:Chinatown Wars, I am enjoying it, but I'm not seeing where the 9/10 and 10/10 reviews are coming from. It's technically impressive for a DS game, but the lack of voice acting and rendered cutscenes takes away so much of the personality of the characters and the humor, which was a major draw for me in past GTA games. I'm just not having a ton of fun with it. :shrug:

darkside 03-23-09 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 9344073)

I'm interested. Love Picross, but I have got sidetracked right now with Peggle DS and Castlevania: OoE.

Acting Up 03-23-09 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 9344073)

ncsx will have it in stock again Thursday of this week! I am pretty tempted to import.

Brent L 03-25-09 09:14 AM

I'm not sure what got into me, but I've bought four DS games over less than a week after not buying on in a very, very long time. Maybe since New Super Mario Bros.?

I finally broke down and bought Hotel Dusk, then got Henry Hatsworth, picked up Professor Layton, and then I discovered the greatness that is Big Bang Mini!

What else have I missed out on that could catch my eye?

I think I'm preparing for the DSi, getting ready to finally upgrade my launch DS. :lol:

Chris_D 03-25-09 09:32 AM

Finished Ys 1 on the DS. Stylus controls are a breeze, reviews did not do these justice, and focused too much on the horrid d-pad controls. Had a good time, but the difficulty curve is a bit of a mess. The hardest part of the game is probably the first 10-20 minutes as you gain a few levels and get some equipment. After that, it's very easy. I'd say it's the same problem as the Turboduo version but the fact that the stylus control allows diagonal attacks makes the combat even a little easier. I kind of miss the brutal difficulty of the Sega Master System version.

Just got about 90 minutes into Suikoden and it seems promising so far. However, the voice samples are very low quality and I wish they'd leave voice out of DS games if they're not prepared to spend the cartridge space to keep the quality decent.

Chris_D 03-25-09 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9347895)
I'm not sure what got into me, but I've bought four DS games over less than a week after not buying on in a very, very long time. Maybe since New Super Mario Bros.?

Same. I just got Ys, and also have Dragon Quest V and Theresia ordered. That's after a year of not buying anything.

Brent L 03-25-09 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9347924)

Just got about 90 minutes into Suikoden and it seems promising so far. However, the voice samples are very low quality and I wish they'd leave voice out of DS games if they're not prepared to spend the cartridge space to keep the quality decent.

I think Professor Layton does that better than just about any other DS game out there. Heck, it's so good I could just sit and watch it if there were more of it in the game.

PixyJunket 03-25-09 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9347924)
Finished Ys 1 on the DS. Stylus controls are a breeze, reviews did not do these justice, and focused too much on the horrid d-pad controls. Had a good time, but the difficulty curve is a bit of a mess. The hardest part of the game is probably the first 10-20 minutes as you gain a few levels and get some equipment. After that, it's very easy. I'd say it's the same problem as the Turboduo version but the fact that the stylus control allows diagonal attacks makes the combat even a little easier. I kind of miss the brutal difficulty of the Sega Master System version.

The PC version has Easy, Normal, Hard and Nightmare difficulties. Was this not in the DS version?

xmiyux 03-25-09 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9347951)
Same. I just got Ys, and also have Dragon Quest V and Theresia ordered. That's after a year of not buying anything.

What is Theresia? Another JRPG?

UncleGramps 03-25-09 12:10 PM

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks announced for 2009.