DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

Superboy 02-01-09 07:01 AM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 9234327)
Superboy - yep, and I don't know if it will come to the U.S.

It probably will. I mean, it debuted at $29.99 and was a strong seller.

GatorDeb 02-01-09 11:35 AM

Superboy, which game are you talking about? :lol: I'm all confused now.

BTW I've spent a week with Colour Cross and I'm nowhere near done. I'd put it at 20-30 hours. Awesome game.

Superboy 02-02-09 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 9236795)
Superboy, which game are you talking about? :lol: I'm all confused now.

BTW I've spent a week with Colour Cross and I'm nowhere near done. I'd put it at 20-30 hours. Awesome game.

Space Invaders Extreme

GatorDeb 02-02-09 01:56 AM

I've been talking about Colour Cross ;)

shumway 02-06-09 12:48 PM

Anyone else interested in the Atlus RPG: My World, My Way? It wasn't even on my radar until I saw the review at IGN. The main thing to interest me is the following:

Originally Posted by IGN
The most unique aspect of the game is obviously the Pout Points system I talked on in our hands-on, but I'll elaborate on that. Outside of hit points and magic points, Elise gets pout points (or PP) to divvy out at any time. These open the game up considerably, as you can use them for making enemies easier or harder, doubling experience, making more items appear, or even in-battle to ensure the first attack of the fight, mute magic casters, freeze enemies, or force enemies to run away automatically. If you come to locked chests and want to see what's inside, you can wait to find a key, or just pout and look inside. That's how the game is set up, and that's how it's balanced as well.

The nice thing about it though, is that while the pout system makes for an almost customized, user-controlled situation, it never gets too easy.

The review in its entirety is here: http://ds.ign.com/articles/950/950654p1.html

I will probably wait a couple weeks for the inevitable price drop to $19.99 and then pick it up at Gamestop.

GatorDeb 02-06-09 01:27 PM

I found a third Picross game (Picross DS and Colour Cross being the other ones).

Puzzle Mate: Oekaki Mate (it's in Japanese, $43.30 shipped).
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...i-70-2l5a.html

Expensive (relatively speaking) but worth EVERY penny. It is hard as hell, even from the first puzzle, and there's hundreds of puzzles to solve. Knowing Japanese not necessary.

There's another game I'm hooked on:
Amazing Adventures: The Forgotten Ruins. It's a find-the-objects in a picture game, and also on the side has jigsaw puzzles and matching (from what I've played so far which is about two hours).

Superboy 02-08-09 04:10 AM

I've said it before, but catching up on DS games really really sucks. My current backlog is almost 50 games long.

I just picked up:

Master of Monster Lair
Away: Shuffle Dungeon
Izuna 2

Oh christ.

slop101 02-09-09 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9139383)
By the way, the game I hinted at (and was writing a nice long article about) before I took my forum break is getting a US release in three weeks. It's going to be called Retro Game Challenge over here and it's basically a collection of eight BRAND NEW 8-Bit NES games wrapped around a sweet meta-game of growing up in that era.

For instance, the game takes place in different years of the NES/Famicom's lifespan and each new game is representative of what was out at that time, starting with a simple arcade style Galaxian clone in 1983 to full blown Mega Man/Ninja Gaiden style games in 1988. You also have a subscription to gaming magazine and the magazines have previews of upcoming games, cheat codes for the games you already have and interviews with the games pretend creators and companies.

You progress in the game by completing a series of challenges for each game. For instance, it could be simply "Pass Stage 5" or "Make it to Stage 2 Without Getting Hit" or "Reach 100,000 Points" (sort of like achievement, hur). Once a set number of challenges are completed, you're warped to the next year with a new game (and you can access any previous games and play them whenever you want).

The top screen is the game screen, all of the game (as far as I could tell) adhere very strictly to the graphical and audio limitations of the NES/Famicom other than using the DS screen resolution. The bottom screen has your character and their friend (the child version of the host of the game show this game was based off of) actually playing the game. If you do cool things in the game, your friend will cheer or make comments or he'll make fun of you for sucking, etc.

This finally comes out this week!

And of course the IGN ass-clowns, while they give it a good review, denigrate it's wonderful concept:

Originally Posted by IGN ass clown
The only thing getting in the way of all this great gameplay is an unnecessary premise that involves players being sent back in time to the 1980s by some Japanese gaming guru. He's the one issuing these challenges with the idea that if you complete them all you'll get back to the present time. But these games are strong enough to stand on their own and I could do without the cheesy justification. While you play games on the DS' top screen, your character and a buddy are sprawled in front of the television watching on the bottom. Your friend provides lots of chatter while you play ("whoa!" and "you missed it!"), and while that doesn't bother me the text dialogue in between challenges quickly becomes tedious.

That is, unless the US developers dumbed-down this aspect of the game and took out a lot of it's details - almost sounds like they did.

fumanstan 02-09-09 07:36 PM

The complaint makes sense to me. Sounds retarded :)

Chris_D 02-10-09 02:31 AM

Sounds fun to me :p

Superboy 02-10-09 04:52 AM

I can't read IGN reviews anymore. They're nothing more than long-winded douche bags who desperately attempt to inflate the importance of games.

I prefer Gamespot. They have the most down-to-earth reviews.

Superboy 02-10-09 07:46 AM

Too...

Many...

Games...

PixyJunket 02-10-09 07:50 AM

The IGN review also lists the RPG in RGC as an homage to Final Fantasy. Idiot. :lol:

xmiyux 02-10-09 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by shumway (Post 9249494)
Anyone else interested in the Atlus RPG: My World, My Way? It wasn't even on my radar until I saw the review at IGN. The main thing to interest me is the following:

The review in its entirety is here: http://ds.ign.com/articles/950/950654p1.html

I will probably wait a couple weeks for the inevitable price drop to $19.99 and then pick it up at Gamestop.

Same here. The reviews make the game sound interesting, especially since i never would have looked at the game otherwise. I hadn't realized Atlus made the thing. I have slowly been turning into an Atlus fanboy.

I'll wait for a price drop as well.

I also want to check out some game i read a review about recently (was it on here?). It has you digging a dungeon and setting it up to entice monsters to move out of the forests and into your dungeon. Sounds intriguing and maybe a touch like the old Dungeon Keeper game on the PC. I hope to find out more about this game.

PixyJunket 02-10-09 08:40 AM

My World, My Way is not made by Atlus, they're just handled localization/publishing.

The other game you are referring to is Master of the Monster Lair, which has two PSP games out here titled Dungeon Maker I & II and coincidentally, they are made by the same company that made My World, My Way, Global A Entertainment.

iggystar 02-10-09 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 9249582)
There's another game I'm hooked on:
Amazing Adventures: The Forgotten Ruins. It's a find-the-objects in a picture game, and also on the side has jigsaw puzzles and matching (from what I've played so far which is about two hours).

I love hidden object games. The Mystery P.I. (by the same company) game got a little repetitive but it was still fun.

Amazing Adventures is on my list.

xmiyux 02-10-09 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9256404)
My World, My Way is not made by Atlus, they're just handled localization/publishing.

The other game you are referring to is Master of the Monster Lair, which has two PSP games out here titled Dungeon Maker I & II and coincidentally, they are made by the same company that made My World, My Way, Global A Entertainment.

How is the Master of the ML game? Has anyone played it on here? It sounded intriguing.

fumanstan 02-10-09 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Superboy (Post 9256291)
Too...

Many...

Games...

No one wants to hear about how many games you have to play. It's annoying and distracting to those that actually might want to discuss the actual games. /pixy

:p

PixyJunket 02-11-09 03:22 PM

YES! The next game from the creators of Riviera and Yggdra Union.

ATLUS ANNOUNCES KNIGHTS IN THE NIGHTMARE™ FOR NINTENDO DS™, PREPARES TO EMBRACE THRILLED FANS

Those of you playing "Announcement BINGO" at home, please cover up the square for Knights in the Nightmare, because it's coming to North America. What kind of game is it, exactly? Glad you asked!

Simply put, Knights in the Nightmare is a gaming experience unlike anything else. And we're not just saying that. You are a magical wisp with the power to guide spirits of dead knights, helping to free their trapped souls by cleansing a tainted castle. Your movements on the touch screen precisely control the wisp on the top screen, allowing for immediate, accurate gameplay. Special attacks, dodging projectiles, and collecting items couldn't be any faster or easier. There is a learning curve, a steep one, but the incredibly comprehensive and at times interactive tutorial has you covered. Manage and equip items, level the knights you command, and pay heed to what you're up against in each battle, as a little forethought can often make all the difference.

Then there are the game's visual and aural components. This is one of the most stylish, beautifully-conceived games for Nintendo DS. The score matches the game's themes perfectly; somber at times, intense and charged with energy at others. Knights in the Nightmare also pays close attention to the little things, conveniences intended to make life easier for the gamer. And because finishing the game once unlocks the ability to play through again from a different perspective -- through the eyes of the antagonist -- you'll certainly want to play through again.

Knights in the Nightmare is scheduled for release on June 2nd with an MSRP of $34.99. We'll share much more about this one in the near future... stay tuned!

http://www.atlus.com/res/kitn_screens_01.jpg http://www.atlus.com/res/kitn_screens_03.jpg http://www.atlus.com/res/kitn_screens_05.jpg

pinata242 02-11-09 03:25 PM

Sounds promising. Looks like it should be in stores on my birthday, too.

xmiyux 02-11-09 06:08 PM

Color me interested as well.

Did Atlus make this one or just produce/translate it?

PixyJunket 02-12-09 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by xmiyux (Post 9260691)
Color me interested as well.

Did Atlus make this one or just produce/translate it?

No, this is from Sting, they made Riviera and Yggdra Union, two awesomely unique GBA games and Baroque for Wii, which I think only I liked since it was a roguelike. Atlus pretty much only internally develops Megami Tensei games at this point.

xmiyux 02-12-09 07:58 AM

Hrm, i didn't play many GBA games at all so i'm not aware of those two either.

Since i am so unfamiliar with any of these titles and publishers if another rogue-like game comes to the DS someone needs to poke me. I absolutely loved having Shiren on a portable system.

(That being said i would do a dance of joy to have a rogue-like on Xbox Live so we could compare high scores and share bones files.)

PixyJunket 02-12-09 08:08 AM

Riviera was amazing. It was a graphical Choose Your Own Adventure book with RPG battles that had a really unique SaGa-like weapon-specific leveling system. Yggdra Union was amazing too. I HATE strategy RPGs but I loved that game because it was just crazy different.

I thought Shiren DS had leaderboards, I remember trading friend codes here for it.

Of course, Sega are ****s and probably won't release Shiren DS 2 or Shiren 3 here.

xmiyux 02-12-09 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9261546)
Riviera was amazing. It was a graphical Choose Your Own Adventure book with RPG battles that had a really unique SaGa-like weapon-specific leveling system. Yggdra Union was amazing too. I HATE strategy RPGs but I loved that game because it was just crazy different.

I thought Shiren DS had leaderboards, I remember trading friend codes here for it.

Of course, Sega are ****s and probably won't release Shiren DS 2 or Shiren 3 here.

Shiren did have leaderboards but you had to choose that option, connect to the network, etc. I like the ease of Live and it flaunting the fact people are owning me at games (I'm looking at you Corvin and your ridiculous Pac-Man CE score)since it pushes to me try a little harder.

I never did defeat the main storyline to Shiren. I really ought to go back and give it a shot sometime. I couldn't get out of the habit of killing everything i could to try to level up and always ended up too aggressive and dying.